Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airkas1
Topic Author

What To Do In Phoenix, AZ

Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:23 pm

Hi guys,

I'm going to Phoenix in the first 2 weeks of februari and was wondering if any of you have any tips for us, like things to do, to see, what to do, what not to do, etc. Anything is welcome  Smile

Also, There will be a day of flying involved. As I understood it we will have an aircraft avalaible for a good part of the day to fly to other airfields and such. I'm going to ask if we can fly over Marana AirPark (the aircraft graveyard), as it should be an awesome sight and it isn't too far from Mesa (where we'll probably be most of the time).

Thanks in advance,

Kas

HT

RE: What To Do In Phoenix, AZ

Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:57 pm

• Grand Canyon (South Rim) will be too far away ?
  • Prescott and Sedona quite often are recommended for daytrips from Phoenix.
  • Drive along Apache Trail (unpaved road) - this is Rte-88 from Apache Junction (near the eastern end of Superstition Freeway / US-60) to the east. The little and slow traffic will be a relief after Phoenix' hustle and bustle.
  • Fly to Las Vegas for a day.

I am more aware of things to do & visit around Tucson, but these would be full-day excursions from Phoenix ... Interested in details ?
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

MYT332

Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:17 pm

I'm sure there is an old a.net member you can go make good with around there?
One Life, Live it.

airkas1
Topic Author

Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:33 pm

Thanks for the ideas so far. I forgot to mention that we'll try to rent a car for a few days to visit Las Vegas and hopefully also the Grand Canyon. Meeting up with someone would be fun, but I also have to think of my travelling companion.

mhodgson

Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:56 pm

Tucson is about a 2 hour drive away; the Pima Air and Space museum there is well worth a visit. It is a full day trip, though.

You can fly overhead Marana, though be aware that it is sometimes used for parachuting (as are many airfields around there). Listen out on the CTAF though and you should be fine. It isn't too far to fly from any of the PHX area airfields.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

HT

Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:04 pm

Quoting AirKas1 (Reply 3):
we'll try to rent a car for a few days to visit Las Vegas and hopefully also the Grand Canyon.

Keep in in mind that Phoenix to Las Vegas is a long and rather boring drive if having to make it within one day.
Make a stop in Kingman and check out if there are still some a/c stored at IGM; the airport is only a few miles northeast of town on old route 66.
Kingman to Hoover Dam is Boring with a capital B. If time allows use historic Route 66 in westernly direction from Kingman towards Oatman, AZ. From there the unpaved road to Bullhead City --> Laughlin, NV --> Searchlight, NV --> Las Vegas via US-93 or use Rte164 west from Searchlight and I-15 for approaching the city from the Southwest.

In any case, think about driving only one way and do all the spotting enroute and fly between LAS - PHX in the other direction, but look out for oneway rental fees (check different companies).

Aerial pleasure (viewing) flights are plenty on offer from Las vegas (most of these leaving from VGT not LAS ).

if driving between Kingman and Williams, AZ, use Rte-66 between Kingman and Seligman instead of I-40; travel time is only marginally longer but more relaxing IMO (speed limit is 65 ot 70 mph on Rte-66, IIRC) with only little traffic.

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 4):
You can fly overhead Marana

Might also be interesting to fly over AMARC next to DMA, but I have no idea if permissions are being granted in these days.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

airkas1
Topic Author

Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:23 pm

Nice! Kingman sounds good, I'll have a talk with the person I'm travelling with to see what she thinks of it. Depending on how much time we have, Route 66 sounds nice as well.

Quoting HT (Reply 5):
Keep in in mind that Phoenix to Las Vegas is a long and rather boring drive if having to make it within one day.

How many hours do you reckon it takes from PHX to LAS by car?

As for the plane-renting; We're visiting a few people who are currently training for their pilots license in Mesa/FFZ. The plan was to take a flight with them. Point of departure will be FFZ I guess. But what is AMARC?

Quoting HT (Reply 1):
I am more aware of things to do & visit around Tucson, but these would be full-day excursions from Phoenix ... Interested in details ?

Sure! Never hurts to have a few more options!

mhodgson

Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:29 pm

Quoting HT (Reply 5):
Might also be interesting to fly over AMARC next to DMA, but I have no idea if permissions are being granted in these days.

It is covered by the Tucson Class C airspace, so permission would be required. I believe it is possible, though.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

desertjets

Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:13 pm

If you let us know where you will be staying we could give you a better idea on what to do/where to go when you aren't flying.

I lived in Phoenix for basically half my life growing up and make it back about once a year or so to visit my parents. As a result I have a slightly negative view of the place TBH.

Things to avoid:
The malls... unless you love shopping there isn't anything that is particularly unique to any of the major malls in Metro Phoenix.

Things to do:
Anything outdoors. February is one of the best times of the year to be in Phoenix. Get out, go to the Zoo, Botanical Garden, South Mountain Park, Squaw Peak, etc....
Since you can fly out to different places I would recommend heading up to Sedona. Sure it is touristy but if you like hiking or off-roading it is a neat place. Plus the airport is interesting as it sits up on a mesa. Though once you get up north into the mountains it will still be colder that time of year, so plan accordingly.

And I suppose that there is some nightlife around town. But I wouldn't know where it is. Certainly didn't exist for me in high school as most everything in Mesa closed at 10pm.

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 2):

If you say his name three times he will appear.  Wink
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Vctony

Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:39 pm

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 8):
And I suppose that there is some nightlife around town. But I wouldn't know where it is. Certainly didn't exist for me in high school as most everything in Mesa closed at 10pm.

If you want nightlife go to downtown Tempe on Mill Ave. There are a ton of bars/clubs there as well as several restaurants, 2 movie theaters, etc.

As far as other activities, Camelback Mountain, Piestewa Peak (also known as Squaw Peak), the McDowell Mountain Regional Park, etc. all have excellent hiking trails.

airkas1
Topic Author

Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:40 pm

If you let us know where you will be staying we could give you a better idea on what to do/where to go when you aren't flying.

Will post it when I know it too  Wink

AirTranTUS

Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:56 pm

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 7):
It is covered by the Tucson Class C airspace, so permission would be required. I believe it is possible, though.

They really hate to give it though. You kind of have to trick them into thinking you are just passing over the area. Then as you pass over you can get pictures. Just a few weeks ago, a friend and I were up there and made a circle over his house which is near, but not over, AMARC and we were told to move somewhere else.
I love ASO!

mhodgson

Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:23 pm

It's probably worth taking in some sort of sporting event - I'm not sure what's on in Feb, but something that isn't really big in Europe. I went to a D-backs game, and really enjoyed it just for the atmosphere.

The Superbowl is on, though I suspect that might be difficult to get tickets for. Might create some interesting movements at the local airports (GEU/GYR) though if you're into the spotting side of the hobby.

JRadier

Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:31 pm

The malls... unless you love shopping there isn't anything that is particularly unique to any of the major malls in Metro Phoenix.

But I would recommend visiting them before going home. I expect your travel partner is somewhat into shopping and with the dollar at it's current rate it's very interesting to go shopping.

airkas1
Topic Author

Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:45 pm

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 12):
It's probably worth taking in some sort of sporting event - I'm not sure what's on in Feb, but something that isn't really big in Europe. I went to a D-backs game, and really enjoyed it just for the atmosphere.

The Superbowl is on, though I suspect that might be difficult to get tickets for. Might create some interesting movements at the local airports (GEU/GYR) though if you're into the spotting side of the hobby.

That would be awesome yes! I really like baseball, but I think the season hasn't started yet by then?
We arrive on the 4th and I was told the Superbowl is on the 3rd, correct? Maybe I'll see some cool bizzers in PHX etc.  Smile

Quoting JRadier (Reply 13):
But I would recommend visiting them before going home. I expect your travel partner is somewhat into shopping and with the dollar at it's current rate it's very interesting to go shopping.

True. Will check it out before we leave.

AirTranTUS

Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:53 pm

Quoting AirKas1 (Reply 14):
That would be awesome yes! I really like baseball, but I think the season hasn't started yet by then?

Unfortunately no. Yes the Superbowl is on the 3rd, and you will certainly see some interesting planes in PHX. DL has a 777 into PHX on the 4th and there may be heavies for the teams depending on when they leave. Basketball will still be going on then and you will probably be able to catch a Suns game. Or if like college sports I'm sure ASU will have at least some basketball games.
I love ASO!

aerobalance

Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:57 pm

Phoenix in February = Golf!  Smile
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

HT

Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:05 pm

Quoting AirKas1 (Reply 6):
But what is AMARC?

AMARC is the military aircraft storage facility that uses some parts of Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson.
http://www.amarcexperience.com
Bus tours of the storage facility used to be organized exclusively on a first-come first-served basis by Pima Air & Space Museum. www.pimaair.org

Quoting AirKas1 (Reply 14):
Superbowl is on the 3rd, correct?

Correct. You surely would have problems to find accomodation during Superbowl XLII, so arriving after it could have been a wise thing.

Quoting AirKas1 (Reply 6):
How many hours do you reckon it takes from PHX to LAS by car?

maps.google.com calculates 5h30min for the 311 miles Mesa, AZ to Las Vegas to PHX, but with the slow traffic before, on and past Hoover Dam I think this is a very ambitious calculation when sticking to posted speed limits. Personally I would calculate one hour more of pure driving time - plus breaks.

Details for things to do around Tucson will follow.
-HT

HT

Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:12 pm

Quoting HT (Reply 17):
Details for things to do around Tucson

• Coming by car from Phoenix, exit I-10 @ #236, head west, stop by Pinal Air Park and have a look (from outside only) onto the stored aircraft.
  • Go back to I-10 in direction of Tucson
  • Exit I-10 @ Speedway (#257), turn right (west) onto W Speedway; it becomes Gates Pass Rd after a few miles
  • Pull out at the car park shortly before reaching the pass; enjoy vista of the Arizona Sonora Desert in front of you.
  • visit Arizona Sonora Desert Museum www.desertmuseum.org (highly recommended by me, but only if you can spare at least 3 hours)
  • Do a short hike in nearby hills of Saguaro N'tl Park (no fees)
  • Leave the Park in southernly direction on Kinney Rd.
  • If it is mid afternoon by then, drive back to Tucson via Kinney Rd, then left onto Hwy 86 (Ajo Way), I-19, I-10 East to exit #267 (Valencia Road). turn left ***
  • Pull into parking lot of Pima Air & Space Museum www.pimaair.org Marvle at a/c from outside the fence if time until museum closure is too short.
  • Leave the Museum parking lot turning right. Go for 2 miles then turn left into S Kolb Rd (Traffic lights). Go north for 3 miles passing under the bridge which seperates the a/c only stored (in order to be reactivated) on AMARC (meanwhile changed into AMARG) from those that are sitting around for spares / to be broken up. Turn left into E Escalante Rd. Get more glimpses of a/c stored on AMARC.

*** If you want to have a quick look around Tucson Airport: Driving east on Hwy 86 (Ajo Way), turn south onto I-19, go south for 4 km to exit 95, turn east on Valencia Rd. After 1 miles turn right onto BR-19 (Tucson Nogales Hwy), after half a mile turn left into E Teton Rd. Cross railway line and continue straight ahead into dead end (cul-de-sac). Park your car carefully near the fence.
Returning out of the cul-de-sac, turn right (north) into S Park Ave (this is before the railway). More a/c to see on the right hand side. Do not stop under the approch patch to runway 13. Turn right (east) at traffic lights and you will be on E Valencia Rd. Continue for 5 miles and you will pass under I-10. After another mile Pima Air & Space Museum (see above) is on your right.

Daytrips from Tucson itself:
Drive south on I-19 to exit 69 (note, that exits on I-19 are calculated in kilometeres but not in miles); follow signs to Titan Missle Museum. http://www.titanmissilemuseum.org/
Some historic sites are in the vicinity: Tubac and Tumacacori
If you are interested: Park your car in Nogales, AZ and walk across the border to Nogales, Mexico.

In the area Southeast of Tucson (along Hwy 82 coming from Nogales via Sonoita to Tombstone) there are a few Dude Ranches. Tombstone is famous in itself, but rather touristic. Obey all traffic signs in Tombstone !
If you are lucky, you will come across some festivities in that area. Most of these will include horses.

It took me 2 vacations in Tucson in order to explore Tucson and its vicinity (ranging from Gila Bend, AZ in the west to Lordsburg, NM in the east - Apache Jct. (north) to Nogales (south)) and in depth - okay, some days were spent for flying on commercial airlines ... Big grin

BTW, unfortunately nobody serves Sierra Vista / Ft. Huachuca / Libby AAF (FHU) with scheduled air service anymore.
-HT

srbmod

Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:57 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 2):

I think he's still working at the Pizza Hut on one of the concourses @ PHX.

http://rockymountainavphotos.com/forumdiss/scottystupid2.jpg

AirTranTUS

Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:11 pm

Quoting HT (Reply 18):
Exit I-10 @ Speedway (#257), turn right (west) onto W Speedway; it becomes Gates Pass Rd after a few miles

no  Not until 2010. You will need to take exit #254 (Price Rd.) and take the Frontage Road to Speedway. If you stay on I-10, you will not be able to get off until I-19. http://www.i10tucsondistrict.com/29toP.html

Quoting HT (Reply 18):
Do not stop under the approch patch to runway 13.

Close, Runway 11L&R.
I love ASO!

HT

Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:44 pm

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 20):
  Not until 2010. You will need to take exit #254 (Price Rd.) and take the Frontage Road to Speedway.

Thanks for the update.

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 20):
Close, Runway 11L&R.

Damn, I'm getting  old  ...  Wink
-HT

Tom in NO

Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:41 pm

Quoting HT (Reply 18):
Exit I-10 @ Speedway (#257), turn right (west) onto W Speedway; it becomes Gates Pass Rd after a few miles

Pull out at the car park shortly before reaching the pass; enjoy vista of the Arizona Sonora Desert in front of you.

visit Arizona Sonora Desert Museum www.desertmuseum.org (highly recommended by me, but only if you can spare at least 3 hours)

Last June we came out the back way of the museum, went north on Kinney Road and Sandaro Road, and came out next to Avra Valley Airport. The reverse should work fine, too. Exit I-10 at West Avra Valley Road, exit 242.

The Pima Air Museum in Tucson is definitely worth a stop. And if you want to get a nice view of Tucson, a side-trip up A Mountain/Sentinel Peak/whatever it's called these days, is also worth it.....west side of Tucson, take West Congress Street, left on Sentinel Peak Road, and up you go:
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l264/tmoore065/DSC04239.jpg?t=1200349873

Spectator sports-wise the D'backs don't start their season until the first week of April. However the Coyotes of the National Hockey League are in season at the Glendale/Jobing.com Arena. They're home Feb 7 against Columbus, February 10 against Nashville, and February 14 against Dallas: http://coyotes.nhl.com/index.html

A trip to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon would be the highlight of your trip. One day for the drive, including Sedona, spend the night in Sedona or Flagstaff, then a night or two at the Canyon, either on the rim though reservations now for next month would be tricky, or you could stay in Tusayan, which a few miles south of the Canyon, just outside the park entrance: http://www.nps.gov/grca . When you come back south, stay on SR-66 to Williams, then start west on I-40 to Seligman, then take Route 66 to Kingman, then up or over and up to Vegas.

Enjoy your trip!

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

Maverick623

Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:56 am

Try convincing your pilot buddy to fly into Sedona (KSEZ). I love going up there and making the "aircraft carrier" landing, and the food ain't too bad either!

And that's not even touching the scenery.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

airkas1
Topic Author

Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:10 am

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 23):
Try convincing your pilot buddy to fly into Sedona (KSEZ). I love going up there and making the "aircraft carrier" landing, and the food ain't too bad either!

And that's not even touching the scenery.

Actually, I checked that out last night! Looked up some photos on a.net and that place is gorgeous!  drool 

Thanks everyone for replying! Keep 'em coming  Wink
HT, thanks for those details!

HT

Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:47 am

Quoting AirKas1 (Reply 24):
HT, thanks for those details!

Graag gedaan !
Holger

57AZ

Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:21 pm

If you like history, visit the McCormick-Stillman Railroad Park. They have a number of historic items on display, the most significant piece being the Pullman Observation-Sleeping Car "Roald Amundsen." It was one of four Pullman Sleeper-Observation cars that were configured as private cars and leased out by Pullman. These four cars were often reserved for the President of the United States or other officials Roald Amundsen was one of the cars used by FDR before the Ferdinand Magellen was specially rebuilt for Presidential use The car is open for public visitation daily and there is a very nice park train pulled by a real steam locomotive-not one of those cheap park trains that are so numerous.

Another site that I want to visit is the Hall of Flame, a museum dedicated to firefighting.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

National757

Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:46 pm

Might want to check out this thread for more ideas: Arizona Spring Break Help (by Chi-town Dec 5 2007 in Non Aviation)

EWRCabincrew

Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:56 pm

There is always hiking (as in South Mountain, Camelback, Squaw Peak...er...Piestewa Peak), the Heaerd Museum ( http://www.heard.org/NETCOMMUNITY/Page.aspx?pid=183&srcid=-2 ), Taliesin West ( http://www.franklloydwright.org/ ), the Desert Botanical Gardens ( http://www.dbg.org/ ).

The drive to Vegas is about 6 hours or so. Stop off at Hoover Dam on your way.

The scenery here in PHX is unlike anywhere else.

Also the Grand Canyon is a 4 hour drive.
You can't cure stupid

airkas1
Topic Author

Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:30 pm

thanks for all the ideas hguys, its very much appreciated!

Also, I promised to post when I knew where we'll be staying. By the looks of, it will be:

http://www.resortmesa.com

fumanchewd

Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:32 pm

BTW, you are coming here during the Superbowl and FBR Open. This place will be insane Feb 2-4th.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

EWRCabincrew

Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:57 pm

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 30):
This place will be insane Feb 2-4th.

That's why I am staying at work till afterwards. At least I can make money and miss the chaos.
You can't cure stupid

desertjets

Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:37 pm

Quoting AirKas1 (Reply 29):
Also, I promised to post when I knew where we'll be staying. By the looks of, it will be:

http://www.resortmesa.com

So you are staying in east Mesa with all the old farts.... so so sooooo sorry. Having grown up in that neck of the woods, my parents old house is just a few miles away from there, I sincerely hope you have access to a car b/c there isn't much in the immediate area. The road the resort is on used to be US60 way back in the day and around there is still has that cheesy roadside feel to it. Cannot really explain it, but it does.

Good news is that Superstition Springs Center is just down the road about 3 miles and is accessible on public transit. If you or your partner feel the need to shop or grab a bite to eat pretty much every convenience of suburbia is right there. I wasted many hours of my teen aged years in and around the mall and the movie theater down the road.

If you need to know more about the local area where you are staying drop me a line. Its been a few years since I lived there but each time I go back not much has changed.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

fumanchewd

Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:53 pm

Forgot to mention. If you are going to fly yourself

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 32):
The road the resort is on used to be US60 way back in the day and around there is still has that cheesy roadside feel to it. Cannot really explain it, but it does.

As for hiking in that area, the Siphon Draw in the Superstitions is awesome.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...