Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lehpron
Topic Author

I Have An Issue And I Don't Know How To Explain It

Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:49 am

By the time I intend to replace my computer, it will be 3yrs old. It is apparent that I react sourly when I hear/read some people willing to replace every 18 months or less. I realize the number of people who do this are quite small. But I feel they are wasting their investment as their hardware will outlast their need/want/desire to upgrade.

I know, I had a thread earlier where I didn't like it that people act like your money is their money -- I don't think I'm trying to control people nor do I bash or give them a hard time for it, in fact I rarely bring it up in conversation. Everything that I am posting here were just thoughts in my head.

I'm trying to understand what I regard as a hurry to upgrade. So I've thought that if I change the subject from computers to anything you can think of that you feel you have to change and spend for it (not counting food), why do you do it? Are you bored, are you competing with someone?

I've maintain a constant for the last year pretty much, I'm in no hurry to change anything, if I do its quite subtle, I usually don't have a reason it just kinda happens. I don't think that logic applies to upgrading a computer.  Yeah sure

[Edited 2008-01-14 22:51:34]
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

jafa39

RE: I Have An Issue And I Don't Know How To Explain It

Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:07 am

Quoting Lehpron (Thread starter):
I Have An Issue And I Don't Know How To Explain It

I'm not sure any of us need to explain what we spend our money on and even less of us understand why we do it.

If you want to keep your PC for 3 years then fine, my last laptop did 4.5 years, don't let it bother you why some people want a new one every 18 months, it may be need, it may be insecurity.

I think your issues are about control, or maybe jealousy....try to drink more beer and have more fun  Wink
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

VonRichtofen

RE: I Have An Issue And I Don't Know How To Explai

Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:17 am

I think on average citizens of industrialized Western nations are pretty wasteful with things when you think about. It's not just computers. I think there's several factors that cause this, including marketing, insecurity (keep up with the Joneses mentality), genuine boredom, shallow materialism (thinking that their image would be hurt if they are seen using a cellphone that's more than 2 years old).

I think in the US marketing is the biggest factor. I heard on the news that 70% of the US economy is based upon consumer spending. So of course marketing campaigns are going to try to convince people they need a new cellphone, laptop, car, etc. etc. when they really don't.

It's pretty sad though, when so many people are in debt to their eyeballs because of it.

HAWK21M

Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:28 am

Its upto An Individual & their thinking.
Some people get very eager to try out new upgrades & Technology & if they have the $$$ what stops them.

Others continue to use the old machines as long as the purpose is served.
Im from the Latter.Its the same in all fields not only Computers.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

threefourthree

Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:35 am

I learned in Commerce that there are Needs and Wants.
You NEED food to live but you WANT a new computer. You can function without the computer, but you can't live without food.

I think lots of people get new things because they either got bored with it, it got outdated, want something new or to compete with their friends. For example I got a new tv last year. I didn't need it, I got to improve the experience. It's the sensation of when you first open it and go Wow!! It's the best sensation to feel, you're just so overwhelmed with happiness.

People upgrade computers all the time because there is no such thing as "future-proofing" your PC. It will always eventually become outdated. People get new computers because their old ones are slow or they think its outdated. It's always important to think "Hmm, do I need this right away? Think about it and it could save you a few bucks.

Come to think of it, you can't futureproof yourself in technology, eventually something else better will come along.

EvilForce

Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:52 am

I'm one of those people that upgrades often. My PowerBook right now is 2 1/4 years old, which is the oldest machine I've had in 10 years or more. I usually replace my laptop one year, the desktop the following year, rinse, repeat. I did just get a brand new laptop from work, but it's a PC and now relegated to the downstairs internet surfing machine.

I give my "old" computers to family members who usually get another couple of years out of them. I work on computers all day. I play computer video games, and surf the net. Spending $ 2,500 a year on updating hardware & software is only $200 a month, which is tax deductible for me.

I live in a modest home, and drive a car that is far below my car allowance. So computers and travel are my "vice". Some people drive nice cars and it's worth it to them. Some have 2nd homes or RVs. Most of us don't "need" most of this stuff. We want it. No harm in that really as long as you are being financially responsible with your money.
I bought a Venus Fly Trap today and was going to name it "Republican" but the fly trap is beneficial to the environment.

ManuCH

Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:44 am

I think buying a new computer generates endorphins. I like replacing electronics often simply because it makes me happy. When I open up the box of a new laptop, I'm really happy to have a new toy, and I enjoy playing with it. It's not a *need* for a new computer, it's just that I happen to like having a new electronic gadget. Even if I won't show it off to anyone - I'm still happy  Smile I can't explain it. Compulsive purchasing disorder?
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

BNE

Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:27 am

My laptop is 3 years and a few weeks old; got it just before Christmas 2004.

Depends on how often and what sort of work you use the computer for, will depend on how often you replace your computer. If you use a lot of high end; graphic and technology based programs for work then you might replace it every 1-2 years.

I plan on updating this computer before the end of 2008.
Why fly non stop when you can connect

PlymSpotter

Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:39 pm

Whilst I don't upgrade just for the sake of it, when I do upgrade I make sure that I buy the very best that there is on the market. My reasoning is that if I just go out and buy another ordinary, run of the mill PC, then it will become obsolete and unable to run the programs which I wish it to process much quicker than if I buy something which is top of the range, so ultimately I'm saving myself money. Another reason is that I'm highly impatient when it comes to technology, if it can't do something that it should be capable of, then I have a strong urge to throw it out of the nearest window!

It seems to work; this PC is a year and a half old and so far hasn't put a foot wrong, I've thrown huge P.shop files at it, large CAD drawings and other graphics files and it just works with them, never crashes, never complains, where-as the last PC I used can barely handle a medium JPEG without throwing a hissy. That's got to be cracking on for 6 years old though now, so it's understandable.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

LHRjc

Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:47 pm

Luckily my work provide me with a state of the art PC whenever the latest model comes out, so I don't have to put my hand in my pocket... The joys of working for a large multinational... Here she is... the latest beast...

"Our 319's are very reliable. They get fixed very quickly."

access-air

Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:56 pm

I'm trying to understand what I regard as a hurry to upgrade. So I've thought that if I change the subject from computers to anything you can think of that you feel you have to change and spend for it (not counting food), why do you do it? Are you bored, are you competing with someone?

Not to take this into aviaiton but I ask myself the very same thing when it comes to AIRLINES "Needing" to buy brand new airplanes just because its the new and improved model or because their once new planes are now 10-15 years old...Does the added cost or new leasing cost justify going out and replacing older perfectly capable planes? Or are planes built these days only as good as the computers that run the fligth control systems???? How scarey!!! I cringe every time people ( on this forum, elsewhere) suggest that an airline dump its 5 year-old 747s to get brand new twin jets....  Sad

Its all sort of how we seem to like to buy appliances these days. They are not made to last, they are just replaced when something goes wrong or in the case of airliners, when a major D check somes into play....I think that some advances in technologies need to slow down to let the rest of society catch up...Do you agree???
However, they wont, as long as there is someone out there trying to build the "Next Best Greatest" thing we as a society are turned on to buy it no matter how much we really dont need it or cant afford it....Its amazing how advertizing has duped us ALL into this mind set.....

Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

IFEMaster

Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:27 pm

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 10):
Not to take this into aviaiton but I ask myself the very same thing when it comes to AIRLINES "Needing" to buy brand new airplanes just because its the new and improved model or because their once new planes are now 10-15 years old...Does the added cost or new leasing cost justify going out and replacing older perfectly capable planes? Or are planes built these days only as good as the computers that run the fligth control systems???? How scarey!!! I cringe every time people ( on this forum, elsewhere) suggest that an airline dump its 5 year-old 747s to get brand new twin jets...

That example can't really be used, though, because airlines replace their equipment as a matter of economics, not a desire for the latest and greatest.

Personally, I think people should just upgrade as and when they want. I tend to upgrade my laptop every 12 to 18 months (although that may change now that I finally have a MacBook) and my desktop every couple of years.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

bagpiper

Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:40 pm

I'll bite...

sometimes a new computer is needed... especially when it comes to laptops. Laptops cannot be upgraded like desktops can, so if you need a faster CPU or better graphics, then, time for a new laptop.

People that do a lot of 3D animation and design work (like me), lots of graphics work (like me), and a fair amount of Adobe Flash designing (like me), might really honestly need a new computer every 18 - 24 months. Why? Because as newer versions of software come out, they need better and better hardware. In a laptop, you can't replace things... in a desktop, you can, so laptops don't last long in a setting like that. However, in a desktop, instead of buying a new one, a person can usually replace the CPU, add more RAM, etc, as long as the motherboard is compatible.

For the general population... well... I agree. Some might use computers as their entertainment, like some people who watch football 24/7, or how others buy really nice cars, etc. When it comes to a computer or a car, I'll bet the computer nerds come out on the better end of the deal  Wink

access-air

Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:40 pm

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 11):
Quoting Access-Air (Reply 10):
Not to take this into aviaiton but I ask myself the very same thing when it comes to AIRLINES "Needing" to buy brand new airplanes just because its the new and improved model or because their once new planes are now 10-15 years old...Does the added cost or new leasing cost justify going out and replacing older perfectly capable planes? Or are planes built these days only as good as the computers that run the fligth control systems???? How scarey!!! I cringe every time people ( on this forum, elsewhere) suggest that an airline dump its 5 year-old 747s to get brand new twin jets...

That example can't really be used, though, because airlines replace their equipment as a matter of economics, not a desire for the latest and greatest.

Hmmm...I beg to differ, but then I guess thats the beauty of this forum is that we are all entitled to our own opinions of how we observe thinsg as they happen....Somehow I dont think that its ALWAYS about economics as it is to just stay ahead of the game, which can never happen...There will always be something out there better that someone tries to offer. The logic of spending millions of dollars on something that MAY save a few percentages of whatever is kinda silly, in MY opinion......

Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

MYT332

Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:51 pm

Quoting LHRjc (Reply 9):
Here she is... the latest beast...

Sad thing is that I know you aren't joking.

The last laptop I bought was from March 2004 and it's about to be passed on to my Grandparents. My new laptop is a 2006 model I aquired in 2007 from sources that shall remain unannounced.

My phone gets replaced once every 12 months or so as it's on a contract. I'm not overly fussed what other people think about my stuff as long as it works and does what I want it to.
One Life, Live it.

ltbewr

Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:09 pm

To me, I have tended to replace my desktop computers after 4 years. Years ago, I gave my mom a computer I had for 4 years, but it only lasted 3 more years due to the Windows 95 OS becoming obsolete as couldn't upgrade or replace the anti-virus program. If I owned a laptop, I would more likely replace every 3 years or so due to the usual banging around they may get.
I would consider replace a computer more frequently if I was into gaming, had to use programs the benefited from frequent upgrades of base equipment, or if I didn't have any computer repair skills. Fortuntaly I have been able to do RAM upgrades on mine computers, replace a dead hard drive on a previous computer and reformat/replace the programs on my current and a past computer after virus infections. That is why I can get 4 years out of my computers. Probably many are fearful of trying repairs to hardware or software, finding it easier to replace a computer and as may be cheaper than having a shop do it or to have purchased an extended guarantee (especially on cheaper end machines).

IFEMaster

Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:15 pm

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 13):
Somehow I dont think that its ALWAYS about economics as it is to just stay ahead of the game

Staying ahead of the game is STILL an issue of economics when it comes to business. Make your product attractive to the customer base, the customer base are attracted. More customers, more profit.

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 13):
The logic of spending millions of dollars on something that MAY save a few percentages of whatever is kinda silly, in MY opinion......

I'm guessing you're not a business major. If a close risk assessment of investing a large sum of capital indicates a higher return within the lifespan of that investment, then it's far from silly. If we're talking about aviation examples, look at Northwest. They still use DC-9s on short hauls. Why? Because the cost of replacing them (at this time) would be greater than the return. But look at their long haul business...DC-10s, much younger than the DC-9s, replaced with A330s. Why? Economics. Could they have continued to operate the 10s? Sure. Could they save more money and make more money in the long run with 330s? Absolutely.

I can't think of a single airline that has replaced it's equipment on a whim just because they wanted to look cool.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

lincoln

Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:26 pm

There are a few reasons, institutionally, at least, why it makes sense:

- When the depreciated value of the asset reaches 0 many companies like to replace their IT assets
- After some amount of time (3 years isn't unusual) it becomes harder to obtain replacement parts/support/etc from the OEM
- There are performance increases

When I worked for the university, we had a rule that no state-owned computer older than 5 years could be connected to the network. All desktops and laptops were replaced every 3rd year; all servers were replaced every 2 years.

It makes for a predictable upgrade cycle; you buy a machine with a 3 year NBD warranty; once that warranty expires you replace it -- rather than having someone caught with their "pants down" when the 7 year old hunkajunk failes.

Now my cheapness -- er -- frugality -- reigns on personal systems. I will run a system that I own until there's smoke coming out of it, so I'm personally on about a 5 year cycle.

I wish my current employer would move to a set cycle, but since there are only 10 of us (with a total of about 30 machines) the financials work a little differently...
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

flipdewaf

Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:01 am

I don't upgrade my phone because most of the time I don't know where it is, I understand people that might want to get the one one with all the flashy gizmos and things but as long as it will make/receive calls and make/receive text messages all is good. I wont upgrade a TV because I only watch topgear and the news. I replaced my computer after 2 years in the summer because my old one kept crashing when I ran solid edge and I wanted to have a go at building one.

My house mate on the other hand always upgrades things because it seems he doesn't like people to have better things than him  Confused . When I got my first DSLR last year he got a new camera, he used to have a 320GB external hard drive and then another house mate ordered a 400GB one and about a week after that there came a 500GB one in the post. When we came back to uni and I had a new computer it took him 3days to order all the bits for his (everything just that little bit better). One of my other house mates bought a new guitar so h got one as well. I find it quite funny really although a little sad at times.

I don't plan on upgrading anything at the moment, maybe when I earn some money next year I'll try and get hold of a D300 for cheap (girlfriends dad has a photographic store highfive  Wink

Fred

halls120

Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:19 am

My first home computer was a Gateway 386 I purchased in 1992. Three years later, I got a new 486 MB and extra memory for it, but by the time I dumped it in 1997 for a POS off-brand Pentium III, that Gateway was way too old.

In 2001 I got a Dell home unit which soldiered on until I got my current IMac CoreDuo in 2006.

I suspect I'll keep this current machine until at least 2009-2010, unless Apple comes out with a significant step up in capability before then.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

Francoflier

Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:29 am

So I've thought that if I change the subject from computers to anything you can think of that you feel you have to change and spend for it (not counting food), why do you do it? Are you bored, are you competing with someone?

I believe that anything we buy generally, no matter what it is, is mostly subjective.
We don't really need all we buy, most of it we just buy it because we like to have new stuff.
And it's not only the electronics gadjets junkies I'm talking about. Hardly anything we buy is out of dire necessity, otherwise, we'd all drive in cars from 1980, we'd never change furniture, we'd all watch TV from our 1975 Sony Trinitron and we'd all keep our computers 3 years before changing them...  Wink

And by we I mean everyone.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.