Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lobster
Topic Author

The PC Crowd Is At It Again

Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:50 pm

A Target Corporation branding campaign is stirring up online controversy because of a billboard which shows a woman, lying spread-eagle, on top of the Target billboard logo.

"I was very offended by it," said Minneapolis mother of two, Lisa Ray.

Ray is also the founder of Parents for Ethical Marketing, and she wrote about the billboard on her Web site, asking, "Is this what you meant by targeting women?"

"It surprised me that something that would come out of Target would be so blatantly sexist," she added.

The ad is part of a winter campaign depicting men and women interacting with the Target logo. One image shows a man ice skating on the logo, another shows a family sledding on the side of the bullseye.

"It's never our intention to offend any of our guests or the public," said Target spokeswoman Amy VonWalter.

http://wcco.com/consumer/target.online.controversy.2.629817.html

http://www.parentsforethicalmarketin...-what-you-meant-by-targeting-women

Once again some over the top PC bull$hit brought to you courtesy of some stupid mom who knows whats good for everyone. I'm glad she's not going to be shopping at Target anymore though, one less idiot I'd have to deal with when I go shopping there. The way the Target spokesperson is talking, doesn't sound like they will pull the ad. Good for them.

Superfly

RE: The PC Crowd Is At It Again

Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:59 pm

Quoting Lobster (Thread starter):
Once again some over the top PC bull$hit brought to you courtesy of some stupid mom who knows whats good for everyone.

This is hardly "PC" as you put it.
It's quite the opposite.
This sounds like some ultra-right-wing prude that probably goes to Church every Sunday and hates sex.

One of our very own Airliners.net members was almost eaten alive by the Target dog at MSP a year & a half ago.
Sorry I forgot which member.  Sad
Bring back the Concorde

miamiair

Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:01 pm

Once again some over the top PC bull$hit brought to you courtesy of some stupid mom who knows whats good for everyone.

This crap has got to stop. You don't like their as campaign? Don't shop there.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

LHMark

Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:02 pm

Looks like she's making a snow angel.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

Toast

Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:06 pm

a billboard which shows a woman, lying spread-eagle, on top of the Target billboard logo.

Tame...

http://www.asa.org.uk/NR/rdonlyres/83ADBEE1-4983-4C1E-96C4-6740F530354C/0/ad.jpg

Shit Piss Fuck Cunt Cocksucker Motherfucker Tits

MYT332

Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:08 pm

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 3):

The lack of snow is a concern though.
One Life, Live it.

lobster
Topic Author

Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:26 pm

Quoting Toast (Reply 4):

Thats awesome!! Good ones

Thats what Target says.......and the first thing I thought of.

KROC

Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:48 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 5):
The lack of snow is a concern though.

My first thought was a snow angel as well. And the lack of snow shouldn't be a concern. It's Target's "Winter Campaign". Hmmm, using my abuncance of common sense...winter campaign, girl looking like she is making a snow angel, the fact she is wearing a sweater, beanie hat, snow pants, jacket, boots and gloves that leads me to believe the add is infact her making a snow angel on the Target logo. Taking it a step further its also safe to assume that Target is not throwing their "bullseye" logo just under the poon of a 16 year old girl on purpose. People need to lighten the hell up. I would be more concerned with Mommy Homemaker thinking what she things Target is doing...

yowza

Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:51 pm

wow who knew that Target shoppers consumers were so sensitive.

YOWza

IADCA

Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:00 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 1):
This is hardly "PC" as you put it.
It's quite the opposite.
This sounds like some ultra-right-wing prude that probably goes to Church every Sunday and hates sex.

This is exactly right, and shows that (shock!) there are plenty of people of all political stripes who want to tell everyone else how to live their lives, and force the entirety of society to tailor their activities so as not to offend the particular sensitivities of a few. That's what cracks me up about organizations like Focus on the Family and GLAAD; they both decry the other side for being intolerant, and then they themselves are inflexibly intolerant of views that don't agree with their own oddball versions of what should be reality. Organizations bitch and moan when the status quo isn't what they'd like it to be, but when it is, they'll be happy to bludgeon you with "it's the law of the land" and "majority rules!" to no end. It's time for sensible people on both sides of the aisle to band together and denounce their own side's charlatans in the same breath as the other's.

AsstChiefMark

Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:05 pm

Who the hell would want to interact with a logo. I suppose if you're on acid you would. "Ooooooo. The rings are alive! They're talking to me. They love me!"
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

MYT332

Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:09 pm

Quoting KROC (Reply 7):
People need to lighten the hell up

Yea you do mate, I was being sarcastic! I don't agree with the PC bullshit either. Stop wanting to just have a go at people cos' you just wasted your time doing so with me. Sorry.  Wink
One Life, Live it.

KROC

Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:07 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 11):
Yea you do mate, I was being sarcastic! I don't agree with the PC bullshit either. Stop wanting to just have a go at people cos' you just wasted your time doing so with me. Sorry.

I didn't waste my time with you...yet. don't give me a reason too.  Wink

MYT332

Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:13 pm

Quoting KROC (Reply 12):
I didn't waste my time with you...yet. don't give me a reason too.

"Soccer" rocks and baseball is shit! Will that do?  Wink
One Life, Live it.

SBBRTech

Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:21 pm

but...honestly....what's so offensive about it ?? I don't get it.
Did the "mother of two" see the target pointing at the girl's twat or something?
"I'm beginning to get the hang of this flying business" - C3PO

mhodgson

Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:58 pm

I fail to see why that could be seen as offensive; as surely using that as a guideline would make ballet dancing absolutely horrific judging by the amount of leg-opening that goes on?!
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

bagpiper

Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:31 pm

In no way am I trying to defend this woman's actions... really, who cares about an ad like that. Walking down the street in most places reveals more than that... and many more "offensive" actions.

You don't like people who go to church every Sunday, I take it? Also, if you'd listen to people that "hate sex", you'd find its not the case. But, we've had this discussion before and I have a feeling I know the outcome.  Yeah sure

Quoting IADCA (Reply 9):
tell everyone else how to live their lives, and force the entirety of society to tailor their activities

Quoting IADCA (Reply 9):
It's time for sensible people on both sides of the aisle to band together and denounce their own side's charlatans in the same breath as the other's.

Ironic  Silly

Yes, I only came in here to  stirthepot 

Silly

AsstChiefMark

Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:41 pm

Here's what I thought of when I first saw the pic:

Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

IADCA

Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:50 pm

Quoting Bagpiper (Reply 16):
Ironic

Haha, perhaps a bit, but the point is that this self-righteous mutual intolerance on the part of fringe groups on both sides is pretty darn annoying. The difference is, I'm not trying to say their intolerance is some sort of moral abomination (as they almost invariably consider their opponents), nor am I saying it shouldn't be tolerated. I'm just saying they should be called out for being the hypocrites they are.

bagpiper

Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:53 pm

Quoting IADCA (Reply 18):
Haha, perhaps a bit, but the point is that this self-righteous mutual intolerance on the part of fringe groups on both sides is pretty darn annoying. The difference is, I'm not trying to say their intolerance is some sort of moral abomination (as they almost invariably consider their opponents), nor am I saying it shouldn't be tolerated. I'm just saying they should be called out for being the hypocrites they are.

Yeah I know  Wink

As I said, I was just stirring the pot. I agree with you.

TSS

Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:00 pm

One of my favorite blatantly sexist ads of all time:

(The photo isn't offensive, but the text is...well, it is once you pick yourself up off the floor and stop laughing!)
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

lobster
Topic Author

Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:34 pm

I just checked this lady's website. There are 30 something posts from people and not one is positive towards her. Imagine that.

MYT332

Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:42 pm

Quoting TSS (Reply 20):
One of my favorite blatantly sexist ads of all time:

Well this is less subtle and obviously the best ad in the UK of 2006:

No joke. How great is that? Up yours PC crowd! Big grin
One Life, Live it.

AirframeAS

Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:35 am

One of our very own Airliners.net members was almost eaten alive by the Target dog at MSP a year & a half ago.
Sorry I forgot which member. Sad

What happened, if I may ask?

Quoting YOWza (Reply 8):
wow who knew that Target shoppers consumers were so sensitive.

They are sensitive because we overprice our stuff.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

fumanchewd

Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:44 am

One of our very own Airliners.net members was almost eaten alive by the Target dog at MSP

Damn hippie dog!  Wink

Or she could be a fat blob who is upset that she doesn't look that good.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

Superfly

Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:03 am

Quoting Bagpiper (Reply 16):
You don't like people who go to church every Sunday, I take it? Also, if you'd listen to people that "hate sex", you'd find its not the case. But, we've had this discussion before and I have a feeling I know the outcome.

Once again, Bagpiper displays his poor comprehension skills. You should have picked up on that by the time you reached 7th grade. Another example that social promotion serves no good to the student.
What I was doing was simply painting a picture of your typical anti-sex zealot such as the people at Parents for Ethical Marketing. That is what this topic is about.
Everyone else besides you picked up on that.

For the record, I have nothing against those who go to Church every Sunday and I am sure millions of people go to Target after attending Church/Mass every Sunday.

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 23):
What happened, if I may ask?

I am sorry but I forgot which A.net member it was. It may have been KaiGwyer(sp) but I am not sure. I do know that it was a MSP based member. He would be best to ask. Perhaps do a search in the archives.

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 24):

checkmark 
DING
DING

We have a winner!
I bet my entire 8track collection that that is really the case. Of course that would never be proven. We'll never know what the person/coward looks like that raised a fit in the first place. What ever the case, they need to understand that sex sales and that is the bottom line. They need to come to grips with it.
Bring back the Concorde

Francoflier

Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:06 am

I picture her all too clearly.

If she was fit enough to have been the one on that ad, or any other ad (except one for the the next Biggest Loser episode), she'd probably shut the hell up.

You gotta love those people who are outraged by something and think that if they are, then the rest of the world is.
Some just preach against the use of women as 'sexual objects' because they're not one, while wishing they were fit enough to not cover the white Target dot completely...

I think it's a good idea that this Lady's maintains a website though,

...it keeps her from remembering she isn't getting any and away from the ice cream jar.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

ZakHH

Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:13 am

Gosh, you are right. She is making a snow angel. A snow angel! A religios symbol! I am sooo offended! How dare they? Call the PC police right now!

(Disclaimer for those with failing sarcasm detectors: yes, I am being sarcastic  Wink )
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

fumanchewd

Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:33 pm

Quoting Francoflier (Reply 26):

I think it's a good idea that this Lady's maintains a website though,

...it keeps her from remembering she isn't getting any and away from the ice cream jar.

rotfl 

Quoting Superfly (Reply 25):
We'll never know what the person/coward looks like that raised a fit in the first place.

I think thats for the better. Something tells me I wouldn't want to see her in the "would you hit it?" thread.

The cliche is true. People are very strange. I was thinking last night about some of my ex's. The ones who I still have a distaste for only have that place in my heart because of traits that we closely shared. One in particular had personality traits that are so close to mine and she is the only one that I resent with a passion. When people hate other people, its because they are so close in sharing (or in this case wanting to be that person) certain traits with that same person.

I know resent is pathetic but it is what it is and I try not to.

767Lover

Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:43 pm

Quoting IADCA (Reply 9):
there are plenty of people of all political stripes*** who want to tell everyone else how to live their lives

***Not to mention vegetarians  biggrin 

Seriously though, there are a million fringe groups trying to impart their view on a million things. Her complaint was in a "closed" forum of like-minded people, not distributed to a mass audience. The company only had one complaint as a result. This is just a blip.

In a sort of related event, I remember reading awhile back (5+years) a case study about an ad agency that had stirred up controversy to make their ad have more impact in terms of visibility. I can't remember the details--but it was a clever idea!

lobster
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:05 pm

http://twoknives.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/two-knives.jpg

After some digging, this is the best I could find but it's only a head shot (not sexual pun intended whatsoever Big grin )

fumanchewd

Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:55 pm

Speaking of too sexual....is that a herpes sore?

EvilForce

Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:06 pm

I'm not offended by the spot in the least. However, that ad would never have left my desk approved. It does send the wrong message to fit Target's overall branding strategy.
I bought a Venus Fly Trap today and was going to name it "Republican" but the fly trap is beneficial to the environment.

IADCA

Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:03 pm

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 31):
Speaking of too sexual....is that a herpes sore?

That was my first thought. I don't think her problem is being a fat blob (as this picture seems to suggest she isn't). She's just one of these turbo-parents who think the entire world needs to adjust so they can raise children in a pristine bubble.

Arrow

Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:06 pm

A related issue here. This piece was in today's Vancouver Sun. It shows what happens when political correctness is applied legally. For the record, I think this guy Levant is a wingnut, but his comments on the importance of freedom of speech are right on the money.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...efe17e-6bfb-44b7-b884-249bb50e354b

Excerpt:

Canada shows where we will end up in due time: With a system of governance where large swaths of social policy have been delegated by Parliament to the unelected grey bureaucrats who get to implement "progressive" policies that could never get through a body of elected politicians.

As the jurisdiction of these commissions expands into areas never originally intended, fundamental freedoms contract. When state bodies start enforcing the religious prohibitions of Muslims, which forbid the depiction of the Prophet Mohammed, it destroys a few fundamental western values, namely the separation of mosque and state and, more critically, the freedom of speech.

This is not simply a defence of Levant because he is a conservative columnist. Far from it. If a bleeding heart on the left was dragged before a human rights commission for thinking and saying unpalatable things, even stupid things, the defence would remain the same.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

EWRCabincrew

Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:26 pm

It seems that we here are a hell of a lot more adjusted than the rest of the world. Most of us, that is. Big grin  stirthepot 

PC has gotten way beyond out of control. To the point of where we are becoming (great word here) puusified. Why the hell can't people not watch(turn it off, not look, don't subscribe, etc.) if something offends them instead of filing frivolous lawsuits or getting 15 minutes of really undeserved fame?

Don't like the ad? Don't look at it. Don't shop there. Get the idea?

If Lisa Ray, mother of two, is so offended by that, where the hell is she for other things offfensive?
You can't cure stupid