Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Orion737
Topic Author

Fabric Conditioner, Yucky And Slimey

Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:31 pm

I was bought up using comfort, that what mum used so when I 'grew up' i did the same but I ran out awhile ago and noticed I prefered my clothes and stuff with just plain washing powder and no conditioner. Anyone else think these conditioners are awful. i think we are conditioned to use them!

gordonsmall

RE: Fabric Conditioner, Yucky And Slimey

Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:36 pm

I allow Cornish to deal with such domestic matters.

Signed,
Banco.
Statistically, people who have had the most birthdays tend to live the longest.

kmh1956

Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:40 pm

You talking liquid or softener sheets? I prefer the sheets, as once they're finished in the dryer you can use them to clean your television or computer screen....helps to cut down on the static you get from tv screens...
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

KaiGywer

Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:41 pm

I use Downy when I do laundry. Makes them nice and soft  Smile
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

Orion737
Topic Author

Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:44 pm

You call them Softners in the US, Yes, I think Downy is same as Comfort in the UK. I find now my shirts and towels feel better, not like waxy, although I miss the smell when they are drying.

aloges

Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:49 pm

never used the stuff, neither has my mother

I'd prefer perfume-free washing powder, too, if I could find any that does its job properly at a normal price.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

davestanKSAN

Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:09 am

Yeah, I get lots of yucky and slimey things on my clothes too when I finish off a load.

Signed,

Your favourite A.netter  Wink
Yesterday we've sinned, today we move towards God. Touch the sky....love and respect...Safe Star!

PlymSpotter

Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:12 am

A few weeks ago I used the wrong product and only put conditioner in a wash - didn't realise until I was putting the next lot in and one of my mates pointed out that it was conditioner - ooops!

Normally though I don't use conditioner, just normal washing powder.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Queso

Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:17 am

I like using fabric softener, but let me tell you a little story about it. Back on March 3, 1996, we were returning from a trip to WalMart when a drunk driver in a pickup rear-ended our car. The car was totalled and my wife had to be removed with the Jaws of Life. Anyway, we had some fabric softener in what we bought and the lid came open on my toolbox in the back of the car with the jolt of the "on-purpose" and it compromised the bottle of fabric softener. It was not more than 5 or 6 hours after the accident that I began to examine the wreckage and pulling things out of the car when I discovered the tool box with the fabric softener in it. All of the tools (Craftsman) were completely and deeply rusted like they had been left outside exposed to a tropical climate for 20 years! The tools were perfectly clean before the accident because I had used a couple of them the previous day.

Scooter01

Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:22 am

Conditioners/softeners are OK for sheets and underwear, but DON*T ever use it on water-resistant fabrics!

Scooter01
There is always a good reason to watch airplanes

AsstChiefMark

Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:23 am

I can't tolerate any of that shit except for one. Bounce unscented. And I haven't used that for over three years.

They all make me sneeze and cough. Besides, what guy wants cotton to smell like anything but cotton? And why do they make that shit smell like a day trip to the chemical factory? That's all they smell like to me....chemicals.

Do they really smell like a Garden Breeze, or Fresh Linen (whatever that means), or Spring Meadow (which I spoze is dirt and cow shit)?

And WTF is Summer Shower? Body wash, Head n' Shoulders, and dead skin?
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

AirTranTUS

Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:30 am

I don't use fabric softener at all. I don't see any difference in my clothes and it saves money.
I love ASO!

desertjets

Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:35 am

I use the sheets.... always the unscented kind, mainly because it cuts down on the static cling. I used to use Downy dye and scent free when I washed my sheets and towels. Frankly I don't notice a difference.

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 10):
I can't tolerate any of that shit except for one. Bounce unscented. And I haven't used that for over three years.

They all make me sneeze and cough. Besides, what guy wants cotton to smell like anything but cotton? And why do they make that shit smell like a day trip to the chemical factory? That's all they smell like to me....chemicals.

Do they really smell like a Garden Breeze, or Fresh Linen (whatever that means), or Spring Meadow (which I spoze is dirt and cow shit)?

And WTF is Summer Shower? Body wash, Head n' Shoulders, and dead skin?

All my laundry stuff is scent and dye free. I want my stuff to smell clean, not all flowery and stuff.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

mhodgson

Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:08 am

We don't have a dryer in my house, so using conditioner makes a noticeable difference - if it isn't used, things tend to dry and become 'crispy'; plus they can be a little damp-smelling.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

ORFflyer

Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:50 am

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 2):
I prefer the sheets, as once they're finished in the dryer you can use them to clean your television or computer screen....helps to cut down on the static you get from tv screens...

Add to the list:

Great for a bug repellent on the golf course, or anywhere. They also remove smoke odors from your car. Just wipe down the upholstery with them.

Orion737
Topic Author

Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:55 pm

I agree about the marketing names for the scents, here in UK we have such things as 'Spring awakening' what smell might that be? Yucky stuff.

Its plain persil now and spray starch, i dont like everything too soft

AsstChiefMark

Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:40 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 15):
here in UK we have such things as 'Spring awakening' what smell might that be?

A girl having her first period.

Gotta be careful. You've have child sex offenders coming from miles around just to jerk off to the smell of your laundry drying on the clothesline.
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Dougloid

Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:58 pm

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 2):
You talking liquid or softener sheets? I prefer the sheets, as once they're finished in the dryer you can use them to clean your television or computer screen....helps to cut down on the static you get from tv screens...

Fabric softener sheets have a sort of antistatic wax on them that makes a mess of the inside ductwork of your dryer-difficult to clean. But the spent sheets are useful for a lot of stuff.

I save them for repairing loudspeakers. Cut out a piece and use artist's rubber cement to attach them over cracks and holes. It works much better than Elmers and coffee filter paper. Plus you can use the rubber cement to dope the flex ring of the speaker.

My other trade secret for rejuvenating tired old radio speakers is to spray the cone with clay pot sealer.

One thing that fresh fabric sheets are good for is the infamous Telecaster pickguard static crackle. If you've got a guitar that makes static cracklewhen you play, try rubbing the pickguard with a fabric softener sheet. I keeep one in every guitar case.

Quoting DavestanKSAN (Reply 6):
Yeah, I get lots of yucky and slimey things on my clothes too when I finish off a load.

Signed,

Your favourite A.netter

One good wank deserves another.

laughing   laughing   laughing   laughing   laughing 
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

BR715-A1-30

Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:57 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 3):
I use Downy when I do laundry. Makes them nice and soft

yes 

boggled 

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 10):
The car was totalled and my wife had to be removed with the Jaws of Life.

your wife is lucky... Most people who have to be removed with that particular tool are either dead or will die.  Sad
Puhdiddle

Fiatstilojtd

Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:48 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 17):
One good wank deserves another.

Yeah, I produce my own Fabric Conditioner, Yucky And Slimey as well, saves me money  Wink

Signed Myt332

I think what some people in this thread do not take into consideration is that in some regions you have "hard" water, so you cannot really wash towels etc. without a detergent, conditioner etc. To use detergent, conditioner etc. in regions with "soft" water is useless, I agree.

Orion737
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:14 am

Conditioners or softeners reduce the absorbancy of towels and should never be used on towels, or so I was told my my Home economics teacher many years ago.

i think 'the' conditioner we all get on our clothes from like our kecks, from time to time is more of a starch, likely to stiffen fabric than soften it. thats what the sock under my bed tells me anyway!!!! haha

MYT332

Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:30 am

Quoting Fiatstilojtd (Reply 19):
Yeah, I produce my own Fabric Conditioner, Yucky And Slimey as well, saves me money

Signed Myt332

I then go and buy MYT332's product as I love it so much being a freaky belt salesman.

Signed,
Fiatstilojtd
One Life, Live it.

LHRjc

Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:33 am

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 21):
I then go and buy MYT332's product as I love it so much being a freaky belt salesman.

Signed,
Fiatstilojtd

rotfl   rotfl 

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 20):
thats what the sock under my bed tells me anyway

You don't live in the Renaissance Hotel in AMS do you? I seem to have misplaced one of my socks under said bed.
"Our 319's are very reliable. They get fixed very quickly."

Fiatstilojtd

Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:21 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 20):
Conditioners or softeners reduce the absorbancy of towels and should never be used on towels, or so I was told my my Home economics teacher many years ago.

That is correct, but what should people in areas with "hard" water do, in this area a towel is like sandpaper when it comes out of the washing machine.

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 21):

Signed,
Fiatstilojtd

No, I prefer the stuff they sell in the Supermarket, but thanks, and I ain't a Belt salesman anymore, this time is long gone....I think you like these belts because you mention it all the times....if you want to buy one Myt332 just go to www.slendertone.com.

Quoting LHRjc (Reply 22):
You don't live in the Renaissance Hotel in AMS do you? I seem to have misplaced one of my socks under said bed.

I warn you LHRjc !!!, Do NOT encourage Orion737 to start telling us again about what he does with socks etc....long time member in here will know why.

[Edited 2008-01-17 09:31:29]