Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ORFflyer
Topic Author

Braves AAA Club Moving To Georgia

Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:17 am

The Atlanta Braves are moving their top AAA club, the Richmond Braves to Gwinnett GA. One more season in Richmond, and then when a player gets promoted to Atlanta, it's only a 36 mile ride to Turner Field. Richmond loses a team that has been there since the Braves moved to Atlanta 42 years ago.

I remember going to Parker Field as a kid and watching the Braves. Sad to see them leave Richmond. Officials there say they're best hope is a AA team in the near term, and maybe a replacement AAA team down the road a bit.

Source: AP

LHMark

RE: Braves AAA Club Moving To Georgia

Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:34 am

The Gwinnett Braves? Hell, the future players of 'America's Team' might as well get used to playing in half-empty stadiums early.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

KROC

Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:36 am

This is sad actually. Minor Leage teams in the International League at least have been changing up like crazy. Rochester ended its 40 something year affiliation with Baltimore like 6 years ago now, but at least we got in another team (the Twins) to keep Rochester Baseball going. The only good news I have heard is that the Mets might move their AAA team to Sorrycuse by '10. It's sad though when a community looses it's team. Especially if their best hope for another is a AA team! I remember the Richmond Braves coming to town to play the Redwings for as far back as I can remember.

KROC

Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:38 am

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 1):
The Gwinnett Braves? Hell, the future players of 'America's Team' might as well get used to playing in half-empty stadiums early.

BTW - The Gwinnett Braves are going to have a lot of long bus trips...

ORFflyer
Topic Author

Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:40 am

I was a little sad about it when I first heard about it, but after reading that they are pissed at Richmond officials for not building a new stadium for them, I lost all of the sadness. Damn AAA clubs hanging stadium issues over city's heads is going a little too far I think. Besides, The Diamond is only 20 years old.

KROC

Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:23 pm

A 20 year old diamond in AAA baseball might as well be new! Before Frontier Field opened here in Rochester in 1997, we had one of the oldest parks in the country. The team never thought about leaving. it's too bad the Braves are doing Richmond in this way.

767Lover

Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:48 pm

It's a shame that Richmond is losing the team. I know it was very popular there.

However, I am sure the team will do very well in Gwinnett...given the fact that the ECHL hockey team (Gwinnett Gladiators) has been a success and typical there are more baseball fans than hockey fans in the Southeast.

Tom in NO

Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:54 pm

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 1):

Question is.....will the Atlanta Braves be able to outdraw the Gwinnett Braves  wink 

Tom at MSY (ducking  duck  the inevitable salvo from srbmod)
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

KROC

Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:56 pm

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 7):
Question is.....will the Atlanta Braves be able to outdraw the Gwinnett Braves

I was wondering who would get more fans for the game. Either an Atlanta Braves Playoff game, or a Gwinnett Braves game with a Leo Mazzone rocking bobble head giveaway.  duck 

767Lover

Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:08 pm

Quoting KROC (Reply 8):

I was wondering who would get more fans for the game. Either an Atlanta Braves Playoff game, or a Gwinnett Braves game with a Leo Mazzone rocking bobble head giveaway

Of course, I know you are saying this in jest, but I think the games will sell well in Gwinnett because it will be a much cheaper night out for families, without the hassle, traffic and expensive parking assocated with commuting to Turner Field from that part of the metro area.

ORFflyer
Topic Author

Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:18 pm

They way I hear it - the Atlanta fans will leave in the sixth so they can catch the end of the Gwinnett game.
 biggrin 

KROC

Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:21 pm

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 9):
Of course, I know you are saying this in jest, but I think the games will sell well in Gwinnett because it will be a much cheaper night out for families, without the hassle, traffic and expensive parking assocated with commuting to Turner Field from that part of the metro area.

In all seriousness, by the time you get done eating and having a beer or two, a night at the AAA ballgame isn't exactly cheap! Cheaper though than the Ted I'm sure.

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 10):
They way I hear it - the Atlanta fans will leave in the sixth so they can catch the end of the Gwinnett game.

There is a Dodger joke in here as well, however I'm not sure which one I want to roll with.  Wink

ORFflyer
Topic Author

Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:25 pm

Quoting KROC (Reply 11):
In all seriousness, by the time you get done eating and having a beer or two, a night at the AAA ballgame isn't exactly cheap! Cheaper though than the Ted I'm sure.

Amen to that - down here watching the Norfolk Tides, freaking beers cost about seven bucks a pop, a hot-dog is about four, you'd think you were at the Ted.

KROC

Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:20 pm

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 12):
Amen to that - down here watching the Norfolk Tides, freaking beers cost about seven bucks a pop, a hot-dog is about four, you'd think you were at the Ted.

Wow. Beer is 5 bucks for a "large" in Crapchester. Parking $5, tickets $10 a piece (I like the better seats, lol). Chow will run you $4-10 depending on what you want. It aint cheap.

Tom in NO

Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:56 pm

Quoting KROC (Reply 11):

There is a Dodger joke in here as well, however I'm not sure which one I want to roll with.

Hey, at least we bother to show up.....we just haven't gotten the part about when to show up or when to leave down yet  wink 

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

KROC

Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:02 pm

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 14):
Hey, at least we bother to show up.....we just haven't gotten the part about when to show up or when to leave down yet

Excellent point. Its not like Dodger Fan lets the fans of the opposing team buy more tickets to a home playoff game all but negating home field advantage.  Wink

Go3Team

Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:17 pm

In the 19 years I've lived in Richmond, I've not once been to an R-Braves game. The Riverfront stadium didn't make sense due to parking issues, and the quality of the neighborhood. A stadium in the suburbs would have made more sense, but I guess the city wants it all to themselves. I guess The Diamond is going to sit and collect some dust...
Yay Pudding!

KROC

Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:28 pm

Quoting Go3Team (Reply 16):
In the 19 years I've lived in Richmond, I've not once been to an R-Braves game. The Riverfront stadium didn't make sense due to parking issues, and the quality of the neighborhood. A stadium in the suburbs would have made more sense, but I guess the city wants it all to themselves. I guess The Diamond is going to sit and collect some dust...

The same thing happened in Rochester when the Wings had a new stadium built. There was a lot ot talk about putting it in the suburbs, however the city wanted it and got it. Not the best location, but the parking is good. When Rochester built the Soccer Stadium, they put it in the hood with horrible parking, they should have put that in the burbs. Roc-towns baseball stadium (while I would rather have it in the burns) makes sense in its city location as it makes it somewhat centrally located in relation to all the major suburban areas.

AirCop

Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:41 pm

Actually having a team that close to Atlanta, won't it hurt the attendance a bit. (I not familiar with Georgia, so I don't have a clue was a drive it would be from Gwinnett). When we had the AAA Phoenix Firebirds, it was a much better experience to take the kids to than a huge major league stadium, and it was a heck of lot cheaper.

767Lover

Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:04 pm

Quoting AirCop (Reply 18):
Actually having a team that close to Atlanta, won't it hurt the attendance a bit.

It's really not that close (in terms of making an effort battling traffic, etc). Gwinnett County is very large (over 400 sq miles) and while it is on the northeast side of the metro area, most of the county is about an hour away from Downtown Atlanta during moderate traffic. (And they do have some public transport but it is not that extensive). Without having consulted Mapquest, but driving it several times, I would say that most of Gwinnett County is closer to Athens, GA, where UGA is, than downtown ATL.

That's one reason why the Gwinnett Gladiators hockey team has done well...they have a nice arena up there and a huge fan base (with 700,000 people in the county, there's a solid base to pull from.)

FLYB6JETS

Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:07 pm

Quoting KROC (Reply 2):
Especially if their best hope for another is a AA team!

Don't discount AA baseball completely. There is alot of good talent in the minors and I can't think of a better time than spending a warm summer evening in a rundown old stadium watching guys play for the love of the game.
"If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going!"

KROC

Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:00 am

Quoting FLYB6JETS (Reply 20):
Don't discount AA baseball completely. There is alot of good talent in the minors and I can't think of a better time than spending a warm summer evening in a rundown old stadium watching guys play for the love of the game.

Don't get me wrong. I think baseball at all levels offers something. I spent many summer nights in Savannah GA at a Single A Sand Gnats games. Its just the income that each level brings in can be an issue. An AA team in a AAA stadium and such might not pull in enough money to make it viable.

N1120A

Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:29 am

Quoting ORFflyer (Thread starter):
Officials there say they're best hope is a AA team in the near term, and maybe a replacement AAA team down the road a bit

You know, Richmond might well be the perfect place for the Nats to move their AAA team.

Quoting KROC (Reply 2):
The only good news I have heard is that the Mets might move their AAA team to Sorrycuse by '10.

That would actually suck, seeing that New Orleans has a great park and fan base that supports the Zephyrs.

Quoting KROC (Reply 11):

There is a Dodger joke in here as well, however I'm not sure which one I want to roll with.

Hey, as long as we actually buy tickets, who cares how long people stay?

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 19):
most of the county is about an hour away from Downtown Atlanta during moderate traffic.

Stop complaining, that isn't far.

Signed,
Dodger Fans

Don't discount AA baseball completely.

Definitely not. That is often where the best talent is.

Quoting KROC (Reply 21):
An AA team in a AAA stadium and such might not pull in enough money to make it viable.

Chances are, the city owns the park. That means they can subsidize the team's viability.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

KROC

Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:52 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 22):
That would actually suck, seeing that New Orleans has a great park and fan base that supports the Zephyrs.

Actually the Mets team remaining there would suck. Having their AAA farm team half way across the country is a huge pain in the ass.

Chances are, the city owns the park. That means they can subsidize the team's viability.

With cities spending budgets these days.....I wouldn't bet the farm on that.

N1120A

Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:13 am

Quoting KROC (Reply 23):

With cities spending budgets these days.....I wouldn't bet the farm on that.

Cities may well make money on facilities leases, so they could possibly cut their profit margins to create an indirect subsidy

Tom in NO

Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:28 am

If the Mets keep sending the Chan Ho Park-types down here, I wouldn't care where they went  wink  . Seriously though, there was article in the paper here the other day discussing who might move in should the Mets/Zephyrs cut out after this season...IIRC there were three possibilities, and two have already spent time here...the Nationals and the Brewers AAA teams. I want to say that the Blue Jays AAA team was the other possibility.

It's a fluid market down here.....we started with the Brewers AAA team moving here from Denver when the Rockies opened up shop, then the Astros AAA team was here before the Express bought them and moved them to Round Rock, then the Nats AAA team for a couple of years, now the Mets.

It'a good minor league market...sole problem being the distance from the AAA team to the parent club, whoever it is.

Tom at MSY (on the CrackBerry)

N1120A

Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:38 am

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 25):

It'a good minor league market...sole problem being the distance from the AAA team to the parent club, whoever it is.

Well, the distance wasn't a huge deal for the Astros. I could see St. Louis or Kansas City moving their team as well.

ORFflyer
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:53 am

You know, Richmond might well be the perfect place for the Nats to move their AAA team.

Definitely, but didn't they just sing a new deal with the Columbus Clippers?

KROC

Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:59 am

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 25):
I want to say that the Blue Jays AAA team was the other possibility.

That would make sense as it would be the Blue Jays AAA team the Mets would be displacing in Sorrycuse.

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 27):

Yes they did.

dl021

Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:40 pm

Where is the stadium going to be? Near the Civic Center or what? I know they aren't going to play at some high school stadium and there's no other facility for this up that way. Lanier?

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 9):
I know you are saying this in jest, but I think the games will sell well in Gwinnett because it will be a much cheaper night out for families, without the hassle, traffic and expensive parking assocated with commuting to Turner Field from that part of the metro area.

I'm wondering how smart this is because I don't know how much more baseball ATL fans want, and one will take from the other unless the Bravos are competing for a title.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

ORFflyer
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:11 pm

Quoting DL021 (Reply 29):
Where is the stadium going to be? Near the Civic Center or what? I know they aren't going to play at some high school stadium and there's no other facility for this up that way. Lanier?

From the article yesterday:

"The county plans to work with the Braves to build a $45 Million stadium" Although it doesn't list a specific location.

"7000 Permenant seats and a grass berm in the outfield to accomodate another 3000"

www.pilotonline.com

Edit: Fixed number.

[Edited 2008-01-17 08:16:20]

KROC

Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:13 pm

45 million for a stadium to have 700 seats and a grass berm for 3,000 more? Who is building this thing - a Haliburton subsidary?

ORFflyer
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:15 pm

Quoting KROC (Reply 31):
45 million for a stadium to have 700 seats

Whops!! Should be 7000. I'll edit now.

N1120A

Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:36 pm

Unfortunate, as Richmond would have made a lot of sense.

KROC

Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:10 pm

Apparently not everyone is happy with this deal...

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...s/2008/01/16/braveslegal_0117.html

RayChuang

Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:22 pm

Gawd, I must be spoiled. Within 2.5 hours' driving time are three highly-regarded baseball parks: Raley Field (Sacramento River Cats AAA), Banner Island Ballpark (Stockton Ports A) and AT&T Park (San Francisco Giants MLB), all of which opened within the last eight years.  bigthumbsup 

FLYB6JETS

Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:56 pm

Word around here was that it was only a 1 year deal. I think most people are holding out hope that the Clippers will become the new AAA affiliate of the Tribe as their agreement with the Bison is up as well. (I think anyway) Either way, can't wait for Huntington Park in 2009. If you haven't been to Columbus since the arena went up, I highly suggest you pay a visit. The arena district is pretty sweet and is only gonna get better with the new ballpark.
"If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going!"

N1120A

Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:06 pm

Quoting RayChuang (Reply 35):
Within 2.5 hours' driving time are three highly-regarded baseball parks

Meh, I got you covered on that. Dodger Stadium and Angel Stadium are within a 45 minute drive of my office.

KROC

Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:11 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 37):
Meh, I got you covered on that. Dodger Stadium and Angel Stadium are within a 45 minute drive of my office.

Having lived in the Sacramento area, I think N1120A has Scoreboard on this one.

jetstar

Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:14 pm

Quoting KROC (Reply 23):
Actually the Mets team remaining there would suck. Having their AAA farm team half way across the country is a huge pain in the ass.

Plus the fact that the Zephyrs play in the Pacific Coast League, which means when they are on the road, they are almost west of the Mississippi and if the Mets need a replacement player real fast because of an injury, even with a biz jet they might not be able to get the player back to the Mets in time for the game.

Minor league teams are always changing their affiliation, their contracts with the major league teams is either 2 or 4 years.

When the Mets contract with the Norfolk Tides was up 2 years ago, the Tides owner switched to the Baltimore Orioles, because he also owns some of the Orioles other minor league teams. This freed up Scranton, who signed with the Yankees because they wanted a team that was closer to New York City, and had been using Columbus as their AAA team. The Nats, who were using New Orleans then signed up with Columbus, which is closer and plays in the east coast International League and this left the Mets with no choice but to sign with the Pacific Coast League AAA team.

RayChuang

Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:36 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 37):

However, both Dodger Stadium and Angel Stadium are starting to age despite innumerable renovations, and AT&T Park is probably one of the best stadiums in terms of mass transit access (SF MUNI light rail, Caltrain commuter train and even sea ferries!) and you can't beat the stunning view of San Francisco Bay.  Smile

N1120A

Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:52 pm

Quoting RayChuang (Reply 40):

However, both Dodger Stadium and Angel Stadium are starting to age despite innumerable renovations

You should see Fenway before talking about aging. Besides, the most recent renovations to Angel Stadium were essentially a full rebuild and Dodger Stadium still rates incredibly high because of its great views of the field and picturesque surroundings.

Quoting RayChuang (Reply 40):
you can't beat the stunning view of San Francisco Bay.

Dodger Stadium affords a great view of Elysian Park and Downtown, though the stadium's main view is of the actual field of play  Wink

Quoting Jetstar (Reply 39):
Minor league teams are always changing their affiliation, their contracts with the major league teams is either 2 or 4 years.

The Dodgers had the Albuquerque Dukes for 28 years.

jetstar

Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:24 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 41):

The Dodgers had the Albuquerque Dukes for 28 years.

A lot of teams have been with their minor league affiliates for many years, they just keep renewing their contracts. The Mets were with Norfolk for many years and at one time even owned the team when it was called the Tidewater Tides.

I believe it’s a Major League baseball rule about the 2 or 4 year length of the contracts.

KROC

Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:02 pm

When the Mets contract with the Norfolk Tides was up 2 years ago, the Tides owner switched to the Baltimore Orioles, because he also owns some of the Orioles other minor league teams. This freed up Scranton, who signed with the Yankees because they wanted a team that was closer to New York City, and had been using Columbus as their AAA team. The Nats, who were using New Orleans then signed up with Columbus, which is closer and plays in the east coast International League and this left the Mets with no choice but to sign with the Pacific Coast League AAA team.

Actually Baltimore was affiliated with Ottawa and had been since Rochester ended their 46 year or so affiliation with the Orioles. Philly was with Scranton and they ended their affiliation when Philly moved their team to Allentown or somwhere around there. Ottawa was contracted as they were the odd team out now. The Yanks then took over in Scranton and the Tides gave the Mets the boot who then got stuck in New Orleans.

RayChuang

Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:55 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 41):
You should see Fenway before talking about aging.

Historic as Fenway Park is, the place has pretty much reached its limits in terms of any possible further expansion. I wouldn't be surprised that a modified version of the the HOK proposal from 1999 gets revived again, especially if the Red Sox wants to attract free agent ballplayers in competition from the new, more modern ballparks that both the New York Yankees and New York Mets will start using in the 2009 season and to attract more fans. A "retro" new Fenway could seat 42,000 fans with wide, comfortable seating with great sightlines for everyone, have modern, expanded restrooms, modern and expansive clubhouses for both the home and visiting teams, much-upgraded concessions, and a modern, state-of-the-art press area. Why do you think Northeasteners used to Fenway, the current Yankee Stadium and Shea Stadium marvel at just how great the newer ballparks have become?

AirCop

Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:15 pm

Speaking of baseball teams moving; the Cincinnati Reds were in Phoenix this past week looking at moving their spring training site to Goodyear. With the Dodgers, Indians, set to open up in 2009, the Phoenix area is going to be the place for spring training. Rumors are the Astros, Tigers, and Orioles are also interested in setting up shop in Arizona, although one would probably end up in Tucson to replace the White Soxs.

garnetpalmetto

Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:40 pm

Quoting KROC (Reply 43):
Actually Baltimore was affiliated with Ottawa and had been since Rochester ended their 46 year or so affiliation with the Orioles. Philly was with Scranton and they ended their affiliation when Philly moved their team to Allentown or somwhere around there. Ottawa was contracted as they were the odd team out now.

Close, but not quite, Mike. This past season, Ottawa was affiliated with the Phillies and that was the team they moved to Allentown (the Lehigh Valley IronPigs). The Orioles, meanwhile, last year, were affiliated with the Tides.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

KROC

Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:43 pm

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 46):
Close, but not quite, Mike. This past season, Ottawa was affiliated with the Phillies and that was the team they moved to Allentown (the Lehigh Valley IronPigs). The Orioles, meanwhile, last year, were affiliated with the Tides.

As I was! Good call. I thought I had something twisted in that because I knew Balt. took over Norfolk last year. Thanks for fixing up my debacle.  Wink

garnetpalmetto

Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:14 pm

Quoting KROC (Reply 47):
Thanks for fixing up my debacle.

Man, I'd need a time machine for that. I'm not entirely surprised to see the R-Braves move down to Gwinnett. During the IL playoffs, the Bulls were playing Richmond for the Governor's Cup and I remember hearing some of the Braves fans who came down for the game commenting about how nice the DBAP was compared to Richmond's Stadium. It sucks, but a lot of those 1980s era minor league parks, while structurally fine, lack a lot of the revenue generators that other parks have like skyboxes. Does Richmond have those, anybody know? If not, they might be in for a tough time even as a AA park.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

N1120A

Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:03 am

Quoting RayChuang (Reply 44):

Historic as Fenway Park is, the place has pretty much reached its limits in terms of any possible further expansion.

Big deal? They get a premium on the tickets, have a fan base that can afford increases and still sell standing room.

I wouldn't be surprised that a modified version of the the HOK proposal from 1999 gets revived again, especially if the Red Sox wants to attract free agent ballplayers in competition from the new, more modern ballparks that both the New York Yankees and New York Mets will start using in the 2009 season and to attract more fans

I would be. It would mean alienating a huge part of the fan base. Besides, the BoSox ownership controls a TV network, much like the Yankees, which means they can spend whatever they want on free agents.

Why do you think Northeasteners used to Fenway, the current Yankee Stadium and Shea Stadium marvel at just how great the newer ballparks have become?

Why do you think so many people from the rest of the country marvel at how great Fenway is? As far as Yankee Stadium and Shea, they are essentially 1970's parks, which isn't saying much.

Quoting AirCop (Reply 45):
With the Dodgers,

So annoying. More of the Parking Attendant screwing with Dodger history. Anyway, the Dodgers are going to share their new facility with the White Sox.