Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LHStarAlliance
Topic Author

Going To New York - What To Do?

Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:21 pm

Hi guys ,

First of all I wanted to go to Oz but it seems that money isn't cooperating , so I thought of maybe going to the US .

So I searched FRA-NYC and I got some real great Prices ! 440€ with SQ , great fares !

I'ld love to see a baseball game and go to Boston , and naturally Manhattan etc .

What else would you recommend me ? Is it possible to go to Washington for 1 night ? How much would it cost ?
It would be in August , are there Baseball games in that time ?

Anything else you'ld recommend me say me please !

Thanks

Constantin
Boycott The Olympic Games In Beijing !

KROC

RE: Going To New York - What To Do?

Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:25 pm

Plenty of baseball to be had in August. Plan early though. Boston tickets are hard to come by, and this is the last season of the Historic Yankee Stadium and also the last season for the less impressive Shea Stadium. Tickets could be hard to come by the longer you wait.

LHStarAlliance
Topic Author

Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:33 pm

Quoting KROC (Reply 1):

I've to correct myself I'm sorry ... The flight would be the 13th of June and back on the 20th , with SQ to JFK .

ORFflyer

Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:44 pm

Quoting LHStarAlliance (Reply 2):
I've to correct myself I'm sorry ... The flight would be the 13th of June and back on the 20th , with SQ to JFK .

Still plenty of baseball - but like KROC said, get your tickets early.

As fart as a trip to Washington, that would be no problem. There are many daily flights between the two cities. Pretty cheap if you book in advance. Trains are a good alternative as well.

Are you planning on renting a car? The drive from NYC to Washington is about 3-1/2 to 4 hours.

Go3Team

Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:49 pm

If I remember right, W138th St and Amsterdam is a pretty sweet area to check out. The locals are pretty helpful if you get lost.
Yay Pudding!

LHStarAlliance
Topic Author

Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:35 pm

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 3):
Are you planning on renting a car? The drive from NYC to Washington is about 3-1/2 to 4 hours.

I don't have driver license  Sad

Quoting Go3Team (Reply 4):
If I remember right, W138th St and Amsterdam is a pretty sweet area to check out. The locals are pretty helpful if you get lost.

Will keep that in mind , thanx for the tip

Where can I buy baseball tickets ?

KROC

Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:57 pm

Quoting LHStarAlliance (Reply 5):
Where can I buy baseball tickets ?

You can buy them right on the teams websites.

www.nymets.com

www.yankees.com

www.redsox.com

comorin

Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:03 am

As fart as a trip to Washington, that would be no problem

I think driving would be more practical  Smile

Quoting Go3Team (Reply 4):
If I remember right, W138th St and Amsterdam is a pretty sweet area to check out.

I would not recommend it. It's too uptown, and the areas around it could be quite dangerous, especially for a visitor. There is so much to see in NYC that a visit there makes no sense. Sorry to contradict you, Go3team, but strolling out there is asking for trouble.

K, I suggest you post again in the Spring and we can help you. Meanwhile, remember legal drinking age here is 21!

aloges

Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:37 am

Quoting LHStarAlliance (Reply 2):
The flight would be the 13th of June and back on the 20th , with SQ to JFK .

I'd spend all of that time in NYC if I were you. If you do go to Washington or Boston, I recommend the Amtrak Acela. I did that (WAS-NYC-BOS) last June and it was much less of a hassle compared to air travel. Bit on the expensive end though, just check out what sort of deal you can find.
Get a travel pass ("7-Day Unlimited Ride MetroCard" to be exact) for MTA Subway and buses straight away, good value for USD 24. That way, you won't have to worry about hopping on the train for just one stop or two.
Where are you staying? I'm a Hostel person myself, I stayed at HI New York (891 Amsterdam Av at West 103rd) and can recommend it.

- Check this one out: http://www.newyorkpass.com/ I had a 3-day pass and it was well worth the money, additionally the booklet you get with it provides more than enough ideas. Unfortunately, the observation deck at Rockefeller Center ("Top of the Rock") is or at least was not included, it is a must though.
- Take a Subway train across Jamaica Bay and take a walk through Broad Channel, an island community that's totally unlike anything I'd ever associated with NYC. Then move on to Rockaway and enjoy the heavies coming in to land at JFK from over the Atlantic Ocean.
- Walk over Brooklyn Bridge at dusk (make sure you set off early enough though  Wink ) and enjoy the sunset backlighting the Manhattan skyline.
- Hop on the free Staten Island Ferry and enjoy the views of the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island and lower Manhattan.
Get yourself lost in the Rockefeller Center and have fun trying to figure out where the hell you are once you've managed to get outside.
- Take a look at Grand Central Terminal. The hall is Grand, the platforms are Terminal(ly awful). Nice contrast. When you're already there, check out the lobby in the Chrysler Building - you won't get farther than that anyway.
- WALK! Always be aware that you're looking at a salad bowl of architecture, cultures, styles, people and so on. If you like cosmopolitan cities, there's not much more you can ask for than what you get in NYC.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

a380us

Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:46 am

Quoting LHStarAlliance (Thread starter):
I'ld love to see a baseball game and go to Boston , and naturally Manhattan etc .

Still plenty of baseball - but like KROC said, get your tickets early.

If your going to see the Red Sox or Mets then you should definately get your ticket early but ont worry because the Yankees aren't going this year any ways (again) and never will go an where because they cant use steroids!
But you'll have alot of fun and if your willing to pay a little more money than at that time you can go to either a Met - Yankee game or a Yankee-Sox game or for less money Mets- Braves

Quoting Comorin (Reply 7):
I think driving would be more practical

If your going to be in the city than the most practical thig would be to take a train its not to long and its much cheaper than flying and driving.

Have fu on your trip!!
www.JandACosmetics.com

KROC

Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:02 pm

Quoting A380US (Reply 9):
If your going to see the Red Sox or Mets then you should definately get your ticket early but ont worry because the Yankees aren't going this year any ways (again) and never will go an where because they cant use steroids!

Thanks for proving to us that your age group listed in your profile is indeed accurate.

LHStarAlliance
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:21 pm

Quoting KROC (Reply 6):

Thanx I look that up

Quoting Aloges (Reply 8):

Hey man thanks for all the info ! The pass is very helpful , it's a great thing , Stockholm has smth similar .

But you'll have alot of fun and if your willing to pay a little more money than at that time you can go to either a Met - Yankee game or a Yankee-Sox game or for less money Mets- Braves

Is it a Problem if I go alone ? could there be riots or smth similar ? It happens very often in Germany  Smile ?

sky0000547

Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:23 pm

Quoting Aloges (Reply 8):
I'd spend all of that time in NYC if I were you. If you do go to Washington or Boston, I recommend the Amtrak Acela. I did that (WAS-NYC-BOS) last June and it was much less of a hassle compared to air travel. Bit on the expensive end though, just check out what sort of deal you can find.
Get a travel pass ("7-Day Unlimited Ride MetroCard" to be exact) for MTA Subway and buses straight away, good value for USD 24. That way, you won't have to worry about hopping on the train for just one stop or two.
Where are you staying? I'm a Hostel person myself, I stayed at HI New York (891 Amsterdam Av at West 103rd) and can recommend it.

- Check this one out: http://www.newyorkpass.com/ I had a 3-day pass and it was well worth the money, additionally the booklet you get with it provides more than enough ideas. Unfortunately, the observation deck at Rockefeller Center ("Top of the Rock") is or at least was not included, it is a must though.
- Take a Subway train across Jamaica Bay and take a walk through Broad Channel, an island community that's totally unlike anything I'd ever associated with NYC. Then move on to Rockaway and enjoy the heavies coming in to land at JFK from over the Atlantic Ocean.
- Walk over Brooklyn Bridge at dusk (make sure you set off early enough though ) and enjoy the sunset backlighting the Manhattan skyline.
- Hop on the free Staten Island Ferry and enjoy the views of the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island and lower Manhattan.
Get yourself lost in the Rockefeller Center and have fun trying to figure out where the hell you are once you've managed to get outside.
- Take a look at Grand Central Terminal. The hall is Grand, the platforms are Terminal(ly awful). Nice contrast. When you're already there, check out the lobby in the Chrysler Building - you won't get farther than that anyway.
- WALK! Always be aware that you're looking at a salad bowl of architecture, cultures, styles, people and so on. If you like cosmopolitan cities, there's not much more you can ask for than what you get in NYC.

Some nice suggestions there, I was in NYC last summer and planning to go again this summer so with the things that I didn't do last time round I might just do some of the above.

I am planning to spend about 3 days in Washington and 4 days in NYC and taking the Amtrak train between the 2 cities is the most convenient. The train departs/arrives in to Penn Station right into the heart of Manhattan. There will too much hassle taking a flight with the travelling to/from the airport, checking-in, security etc.

ORFflyer

Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:31 pm

Quoting LHStarAlliance (Reply 11):
Is it a Problem if I go alone ? could there be riots or smth similar ? It happens very often in Germany  

Just like everywhere for the most part. Don't start no shit, and you won't get no shit. Be careful, and be smart, and you should be fine. Have a good time in NY!

KROC

Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:31 pm

Is it a Problem if I go alone ? could there be riots or smth similar ? It happens very often in Germany ?

This isn't Soccer. No riots here. To avoid the wrath of smack talking fan, wear neutral gear to the game.  Wink

fumanchewd

Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:41 pm

Is it a Problem if I go alone ? could there be riots or smth similar ? It happens very often in Germany Smile ?

Don't worry, Red Sox and Yankee fans don't even know how to riot. Complaining about things all day on sports radio is more up there alley.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

LHStarAlliance
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:20 pm

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 13):

Believe me I won't .. alone 9000km away of home .. naa I wouldn't  Wink

Quoting KROC (Reply 14):
This isn't Soccer. No riots here. To avoid the wrath of smack talking fan, wear neutral gear to the game. Wink

Oh that's good , Ones In Ecuador the Police had to free us because the opponents started to throw Stones ... It was pretty frightening

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 15):
Don't worry, Red Sox and Yankee fans don't even know how to riot.

That's good ..  Smile

columba

Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:54 pm

New York is a great city ! I have been there a couple of times and the last times I had the chance to stay a little longer for an internship. PM me if you want for some "Tipps"

Is it possible to go to Washington for 1 night ? How much would it cost ?

My American family invited me to a trip to Washington organised by a German-American newspaper back in 1995. They did that with every visitor from Germany. I believe the newspaper was called"State Herald" The trip not that expensive. We went to DC by Bus and had a very good sightseeing programme (White House, Capitol, Smithonian, Arlington, Washington and Lincoln Monument etc). Also a dinner was included back then, You might want to google if that trip still exists. The bus went from downtown Mannhattan to Washington and the guide spoke German which was important for my grandmother who was with me on that trip..
Air Berlin - gone but not forgotten

comorin

Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:52 pm

Quoting Comorin (Reply 7):
I think driving would be more practical

If your going to be in the city than the most practical thig would be to take a train its not to long and its much cheaper than flying and driving.

Read the post again carefully  Wink I'm surprised nobody caught the hilarious spelling mistake!

aloges

Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:03 pm

glad to help  Smile

Quoting Comorin (Reply 18):
I'm surprised nobody caught the hilarious spelling mistake!

Which one?  duck 
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

comorin

Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:48 pm

As fart as a trip to Washington, that would be no problem.

Wink