Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Queso
Topic Author

RE: The Ultimate Gun Control / 2nd Amd. Thread Part 2

Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:44 pm

Quoting DL021 (Reply 60):
I went last weekend and it was not a good weekend for me.....

We all have good days and bad days. If you leave the range without an extra hole it's not too bad though. I call practice sessions short when I see that I am developing a bad habit, then a day or two later I'll go back and practice the basics with an unloaded gun at 1/2 speed until I get it right and then pick up the regular practice again. I do this with students too and don't charge them for the time because it's no use continuing to practice bad habits.

Quoting DL021 (Reply 60):
although I did shoot the Sig and it was good.

Sigs generally help to make range time more fun.  Big grin

MDorBust

Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:10 pm

Quoting Luisca (Reply 45):
an assault rifle or armor piercing weapon with anti fingerprint grip, semi automatic, etc.

A what?

Not to tip off the bad guys too much... but there are plenty of ways to get fingerprints off of firearms other than the grip.

Guns should be restricted to small caliber personal defense weapons and hunting rifles.

My hunting rifle is a Saiga .308-1. It'a basically an AK-47 chambered for the .308 round. How are you going to determine the difference between my hunting rifle and the "assault rifles" you want to ban?

PS. My personal defense weapons are in .40 and .45... larger caliber than my hunting rifle.

Quoting Luisca (Reply 49):
...do you honestly believe from the bottom of your heart that their is a need for normal citizens to have assault weapons?

Since we are going to do the "assault weapon" thing.. I want you to watch a video dealing with "assault weapons"

[Edited 2008-02-05 08:12:05]

dl021

Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:29 pm

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 51):
an assault rifle or armor piercing weapon with anti fingerprint grip, semi automatic, etc.

A what?

My question exactly...I want to know where to buy THAT!!

Brent...how long did it take to make that video?

CALTECH

Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:43 pm

For my concealed carry, I like my E.A.A. 9mm Witness, has never jammed, always reliable, 13 round magazine, just to make sure. For really concealed carry, I like my Beretta .25 auto, so small, again, never jammed on me.

Queso
Topic Author

Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:48 pm

Quoting CALTECH (Reply 53):
For my concealed carry, I like my E.A.A. 9mm Witness

Your post is greatly appreciated but it would probably fit even better into this thread: Good Concealed Carry Weapon (by Lobster Jan 31 2008 in Non Aviation)

MDorBust

Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:53 pm

Quoting DL021 (Reply 52):
Brent...how long did it take to make that video?

I think I worked on it for three or four nights after work... and a day trip to the range.

Somewhere I have a blooper cut of one of the steel cases bouncing off the overhead cover support beam and bouncing back into my head.

radarbeam

Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:07 pm

Queso, my sympathies to you and our extended family through these hard times.

Evaluating gun control is very easy, One just has to look at our friends in the UK. A few years ago they passed a radical law, banning almost every single guns in the country. Everything, from hunting rifles to handguns to shotguns and even to small caliber (.22lr) target rifles were banned.

A few years later what is the result? Crimes of all sorts have sky-rocketed. Including armed related crimes. Homicide exploded after the ban, considering victims are less able to defend themselves and are at the mercy of criminals, gangs and thugs.

How could that be? No more guns should mean safer streets. That's right, safer streets for criminals who don't have anything to fear any more, as the general UK pop is completely disarmed.

lobster

RE: The Ultimate Gun Control / 2nd Amd. Thread Par

Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:47 pm

Quoting Luisca (Reply 40):
an assault rifle

Quoting Luisca (Reply 44):
need for normal citizens to have assault weapons

All this talk about assault rifles is making me want to go shoot up a mall somewhere!! After all, thats what they are made for right??  Yeah sure  Yeah sure  Yeah sure  Yeah sure  Yeah sure  Yeah sure  Yeah sure  Yeah sure

I think today's definition of assault rifle is a VERY loose term the liberals and media toss out at any gun they don't like, which is most of them. There is no differences in killing potential between my .308 and your "assault rife". Both kill and harm equally so why don't we take away hunting rifles too? After all, "hunting rifles" are cheaper to buy, easier to sight in, and MUCH MORE readily available than your "assault rifle". Ever fired an M-16/M-4/AR-15 weapon? Without a scope, they suck to sight in, and they take practice to hit your target. Go buy a deer rifle, put a cheap scope on, your set. Both guns consist of the same things used to fire a bullet. The outside is the only thing different. The way the media plays it out, an "assault rifle" is a modern killing machine that has killed thousands of innocent people and has some sort of special powers. The bullet fired is still the same, bought in the same store, goes out the barrel and through the air just the same. Yup, must be a dangerous gun then. Considering that most mass homicides in the US are committed with something other than your precious "assault rifle", where is the thought process coming from banning them? I know! I know! Ignorance on the subject brought on by a liberal media who use the word "assault" which makes people think thats all these guns do.

No guns should be banned as long as someone isn't a criminal or has a mental defect.

A few years ago Minnesota became a "shall issue" state. There was so much uproar saying were going to become the wild west, a ton of people were going to die, etc.

Well, at the same time, the Light Rail line started running.

Body count so far:

Light Rail...................5
Permit holders...........0

CALTECH

Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:50 am

I bought my SKS at a Central Florida gun show, Yugoslavian made. It has a bayonet and grenade launcher on it. It is very reliable, I like it a lot. My Mini-14 has been tricked out, it looks like a light MG, especially with the 40 round mags loaded on it. Both are considered 'assault weapons' according to some. But neither of these two compare to the hitting power and penetration of my 'hunting rifle' 30-06. The 30-06 goes through things.

NWA742

Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:24 am

Queso - I apologize I wasn't able to reply earlier.

I extend my condolences to you, your wife, her sister, and her sister's husband and his family.

This has unfortunately become another crystal clear example of how gun control helps nothing, prevents nothing, and only ends up hurting law abiding citizens.

I have YET to get one pro-gun control member on this board to answer me how they can sit there and justify taking away one of the most basic human rights - the right to protect yourself and the lives of your loved ones.

I also notice how such members have been extremely quiet in this thread. Honestly, it really shows how weak and illogical the position really is.

-NWA742

[Edited 2008-02-05 22:27:46]

Queso
Topic Author

Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:09 pm

Quoting Radarbeam (Reply 56):
Queso, my sympathies to you and our extended family through these hard times.

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 59):
Queso - I apologize I wasn't able to reply earlier.

I extend my condolences to you, your wife, her sister, and her sister's husband and his family.

Thank you both, it is very much appreciated by the family. I will pass that along.

I have YET to get one pro-gun control member on this board to answer me how they can sit there and justify taking away one of the most basic human rights - the right to protect yourself and the lives of your loved ones.

I also notice how such members have been extremely quiet in this thread. Honestly, it really shows how weak and illogical the position really is.

I agree completely, the silence is deafening.

Quoting CALTECH (Reply 58):
But neither of these two compare to the hitting power and penetration of my 'hunting rifle' 30-06. The 30-06 goes through things.

I like my .30-06, too.

lobster

Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:18 pm

Especially given the fact that the latest "mall" shooting in America was done in a state with the strictest hand gun control. So much for gun control there too.  Yeah sure  Yeah sure

miamiair

Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:31 pm

Gun Control doesn't work. It is a fallacy.

lets selebrate diversity:

CALTECH

Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:05 pm

Quoting Queso (Reply 60):
I like my .30-06, too.

Nice !!! One of our members at our gun range had a 7mm Magnum pistol I believe, it was shredding the towels he had laid out for a rest. Very impressive.

MDorBust

Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:11 am

I present to everyone, the newest piece to come off my work bench:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r100/mdorbust/saiga12.jpg

I have this urge to laugh like an evil dictator.

miamiair

Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:55 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 64):

The politically correct version:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c325/miamiair/Rem_1100_R.jpg

airfoilsguy

Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:10 am

Not so politically correct.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee154/airfoilsguy/gun.jpg

miamiair

Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:31 am

Political Incorrectness:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c325/miamiair/Hookey3.jpg

lobster

Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:39 am

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 67):

Now that looks like a damn fun time!!!

miamiair

Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:44 am

Quoting Lobster (Reply 68):
Now that looks like a damn fun time!!!

Come to one of the meets....

lobster

Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:54 am

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 69):
Come to one of the meets..

That was you guys who blew Mickey up? I was looking at buying some Tannerite and saw that on YouTube.

I'd love to go, but unfortunately I don't have the cashola at the moment.

airfoilsguy

Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:54 am

How do you feel about this. I believe that only U.S. citizens should be under the protection of the 2nd Amd.

http://www.de.airliners.net/discussi...ns/non_aviation/read.main/1826246/

miamiair

Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:10 pm

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 71):
How do you feel about this.

The constitution applies to all doesn't it. It gives due process to illegal immigrants does it not?

Part of me agrees with you and part of me doesn't.

airfoilsguy

Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:44 pm

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 72):
The constitution applies to all doesn't it.

Yes it does but I have a problem with people who are not citizens having guns. Non-citizens have not pledged allegiance with the U.S.A

bhmbaglock

Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:48 am

Here's something interesting. Apparently one of the BATF agents who worked on prosecuting the DI for illegal transfer of an automatic weapon for loaning a rifle that fired a 3 round burst due to wear left her personal weapon in the restroom at MKE.

IMO, her breach was a lot more serious than an accidental bit of extra bang bang.

http://worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=55908

miamiair

Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:18 pm

Here's more people in favor of:

http://www.pinkpistols.org/index2.html

From their website:

"Thirty-one states allow all qualified citizens to carry concealed weapons. In those states, homosexuals should embark on organized efforts to become comfortable with guns, learn to use them safely and carry them. They should set up Pink Pistols task forces, sponsor shooting courses and help homosexuals get licensed to carry. And they should do it in a way that gets as much publicity as possible. "

--Jonathan Rauch, Salon Magazine, March 13, 2000

We did. There are now over 45 Pink Pistols chapters nationwide, and more are starting up every day. We are dedicated to the legal, safe, and responsible use of firearms for self-defense of the sexual-minority community. We no longer believe it is the right of those who hate and fear gay, lesbian, bi, trans, or polyamorous persons to use us as targets for their rage. Self-defense is our RIGHT.

The Pink Pistols get together at least once a month at local firing ranges to practice shooting, and to acquaint people new to firearms with them. We will help you select a firearm, acquire a permit, and receive proper training in its safe and legal use for self-defense. The more people know that members of our community may be armed, the less likely they will be to single us out for attack. Join us today. It is your RIGHT.

The more the merrier.

Dougloid

Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:14 pm

This has unfortunately become another crystal clear example of how gun control helps nothing, prevents nothing, and only ends up hurting law abiding citizens.

Did we ever resolve the issues of gun control in Mexico and the lack of a functioning central government? That seems to be central to the issue of whether gun control and law enforcement in Mexico can ever be anything more than a joke.

Wrong conclusion. This thread got pretty heavily scrubbed. You know how that happens.

NWA742

Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:29 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 76):
Did we ever resolve the issues of gun control in Mexico and the lack of a functioning central government? That seems to be central to the issue of whether gun control and law enforcement in Mexico can ever be anything more than a joke.

No, that's not the issue to me. The issue to me is that I have YET to get one pro-gun control member on this board to answer me how they can sit there and justify taking away one of the most basic human rights - the right to protect yourself and the lives of your loved ones.

Wrong conclusion. This thread got pretty heavily scrubbed. You know how that happens.

No, it's actually the absolute correct conclusion. Gun control is a fallacy. An illogical, weak, and overall stupid concept.

-NWA742

airfoilsguy

Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:44 pm

Getting banned tends to do that.

NWA742

Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:48 pm

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 78):

So all members that are pro-gun control are currently banned?

-NWA742

airfoilsguy

Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:03 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 79):

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 78):

So all members that are pro-gun control are currently banned?

-NWA742

Sorry, strike what I just wrote. I misread your statement. Al ot of the Anti gun control guys are banned.

miamiair

Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:04 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 79):
So all members that are pro-gun control are currently banned

Hi there  wave 

Peace, through superior firepower...

bhmbaglock

Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:49 am

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 75):
We did. There are now over 45 Pink Pistols chapters nationwide,

Is there where Gavin's been lately?

N1120A

Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:17 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 77):
Gun control is a fallacy. An illogical, weak, and overall stupid concept.

Really? Then why does Europe have less gun crime than the US?

Anyway, that point aside, I don't really have a problem with people having handguns in their houses and long guns for going out and shooting some tasty, and much healthier than factory ranched, meat. Still, the fact that the Second Amendment has never been incorporated by the 14th Amendment by the Supreme Court is quite interesting.

The authority is really split over this one, with the 9th and 10th Circuits saying that even the federal government can exercise significant gun control, reading the "well-regulated militia" line very strictly. Now, most might expect the 9th Circuit to go that way, but remember that the 10th Circuit is a mixture of arch conservative and outdoorsy libertarian states that you would think would always lean toward the most liberal reading of the amendment. Further, the Supreme Court of Kansas ruled in Salina v. Blaksley, which is still good law, that individuals are outside of the well regulated militia provision in the Kansas Constitution. That is interesting because the person I know who probably owns more guns than Queso and DL021 combined lives in Kansas.

luv2fly

Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:33 am

No, that's not the issue to me. The issue to me is that I have YET to get one pro-gun control member on this board to answer me how they can sit there and justify taking away one of the most basic human rights - the right to protect yourself and the lives of your loved ones.

Have a loved on killed by a gun and then ask me if you feel the same way. And no it was not an illegal gun and the person who shot her, her husband was a life long member of the NRA. So that is how I can sit here, yes they might be a weapon to protect you like you say, they can and will kill you given the chance as well. So happy now, that is how I could justify it. Though it will never happen, the NRA is to strong and big to ever allow it. You have to choose your battles and this is one that will never be won.

Dougloid

Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:56 pm

o, that's not the issue to me. The issue to me is that I have YET to get one pro-gun control member on this board to answer me how they can sit there and justify taking away one of the most basic human rights - the right to protect yourself and the lives of your loved ones.

Well, riddle me this. Queso's relative got killed by a person with an unlicensed firearm in the sovereign country of Mexico, right? At least that's how I understand the story.

I'm not interested in debating the great philosophical questions of the age with you. So if you'll just go ahead and tell me how this has anything to do with life in the United States, I'd be happy to hear it, no matter how far fetched the comparison is.

Particularly since you have not addressed the issue that Mexico's outlaw country. Oh, folks have said "Well, they have really strict gun control laws there." So what? If they don't have a government capable of consistently enforcing the law it matters not what they have on the statute books.

No, it's actually the absolute correct conclusion. Gun control is a fallacy. An illogical, weak, and overall stupid concept.

Nope. Wrong again. The reason you didn't see what you're looking for is that the referenced material was removed because one of your fellow travelers pitched the bitch.

dl021

Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:17 pm

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 84):
Have a loved on killed by a gun and then ask me if you feel the same way

Was it the gun that killed or the person pulling the trigger?

People are killed with cars all the time....should the car be banned? They are killed with baseball bats.....should they ban baseball?

Seriously...reduction to the ridiculous aside...emotion is blinding and illogical. Anger finds the easiest target in most cases, and the idea that the firearm is the blame for the death is silly. It's the person, and if firearms weren't available then they'd find some other weapon to give them the edge.

luv2fly

Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:25 pm

Quoting DL021 (Reply 86):
Was it the gun that killed or the person pulling the trigger?

People are killed with cars all the time....should the car be banned? They are killed with baseball bats.....should they ban baseball?

Seriously...reduction to the ridiculous aside...emotion is blinding and illogical. Anger finds the easiest target in most cases, and the idea that the firearm is the blame for the death is silly. It's the person, and if firearms weren't available then they'd find some other weapon to give them the edge.

I can not even begin to compete with this type of logic. You win.

MaverickM11

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:19 pm

Now if gun control is such a failure, can we extend that to reproduction control or does the rationale break down (read: not apply) to abortion? Silly

Dougloid

Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:13 pm

You've got to look to the primary function of the object. Socket wrenches, spatulas, refrigerators, paintbrushes, and revolvers are optimally fit for certain tasks and not nearly as good for others.

I've got no problem arguing that the primary function of the automobile is to transport people here and there, and the primary function of the ball bat is to enable recreation (except in Bensonhurst).

so if you care to place these inanimate things on a continuum, the utility/potential for abuse ratios are all different.

and that's where the distinction between the ball bat, the automobile, the paintbrush, the refrigerator and the revolver lies, and that's where policy decisions are being made. To believe otherwise is to ignore the obvious.

BCAInfoSys

Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:28 pm

Gunmen Opens Fire at Northern Illinois University - Up to 15 People Shot

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23171567/

What impact does this event have on the discussion? My questions - What kind of weapon was used? How was the weapon acquired (legally vs illegally)? What kind of security plans are in place at NIU? What is the policy on student's carrying concealed weapons on campus?

[Edited 2008-02-14 14:29:32]

eaa3

Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:58 pm

What´s with this argument. I´ve heard it before and I would have to ask is there any reliable source that can prove that people are purposely running people over all the time or killing people with baseball bats for that matter.

As for the original post in this discussion my condolences to you (Queso) and your family.

I have to say though that there is a bit of irony in this as a couple of months ago there was a thread about gun control and I posted a simple sentence:

"A gun in a US home is 22 times more likely to be used in an accidental shooting, a murder or a suicide than in self-defence against an attack."

Queso and some others posted something like 40 different times after my post to try to prove that it was not true and that I was simply wrong.

N1120A

Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:12 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 89):

You've got to look to the primary function of the object. Socket wrenches, spatulas, refrigerators, paintbrushes, and revolvers are optimally fit for certain tasks and not nearly as good for others.

Excellent point Doug. Sawed off shotgun bans were among the first types of gun control, and among the first to be upheld in essentially every jurisdiction. The reason is that SOS are intended to kill people and that is pretty much it, unlike standard shotguns and other long guns that have plenty of practical use for hunting.

lobster

Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:14 am

Well, with the "breaking news" coming out of Illinois, I'd just like to say I'm glad Illinois has such strict gun control laws because they obviously worked. Way to go Illinois, and thanks for not letting people carry concealed weapons in your state!

Yet another fine example of a shooting being over in a "few minutes" and nobody being able to do jack shit about it. But thats what we have police for right? Another case where everything was done and people dead before the police even got on scene. Thank you liberals for not letting us protect ourselves and having to wait around for your precious police.

SESGDL

Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:30 am

Quoting Lobster (Reply 93):
Yet another fine example of a shooting being over in a "few minutes" and nobody being able to do jack shit about it. But thats what we have police for right? Another case where everything was done and people dead before the police even got on scene. Thank you liberals for not letting us protect ourselves and having to wait around for your precious police.

Oh, and I'm sure the students there, had they had guns would have easily whipped theirs out and shot the gunman, ending the whole thing. I'd leave this country in a moment if everyone was carrying guns around. We shouldn't need to carry guns around due to fear that people are going to shoot us. The 2nd amendment needs to be abolished and guns need to be taken off the streets. This country has over 20,000 gun deaths a year, Japan has less than 200. But guns don't kill people, people kill people; but not if they don't have something to do it with. Explain to me how guns are a "good thing?"

Jeremy

trekster

Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:21 am

OK, America REALLY needs to cut down gun ownership, this is getting stupid now.

Quote:
The shooting comes 10 months after 32 students and staff were shot by a student at Virginia Tech University in one of the worst shootings ever at a US school.

It is also the fourth shooting at a US education establishment within a week.

Last Friday, a woman shot dead two fellow students before killing herself at Louisiana Technical College in Baton Rouge. In Memphis, Tennessee, a 17-year-old is accused of shooting and critically wounding a student on Monday, and a 15-year-old was shot at a junior high school in California on Tuesday

How many more people are going to die going to college/uni/school etc before people realise the main reason its happening so much is that every man and his dog can own gun in the US. If your refused people moan its there right, then the same people go and shoot fellow students etc.

I'm so, I just dont get it at all. NRA dont help matters at all and should be closed down or at least stop shouting around everyone should own a gun.

My views, how many more students are going to die before something is done!!!

SESGDL

Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:25 am

Quoting Trekster (Reply 95):

I agree 100%. Unfortunately delusion runs rampant in this country and that isn't going to change.

Jeremy

NWA742

Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:27 am

edit, wrong topic

filler blah blah blah yada yada yada

[Edited 2008-02-14 21:28:47]

BCAInfoSys

Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:32 am

OK.. now that the Anti's are here - they still continue to ignore the questions. Let's completely remove the ability of law-abiding citizens to defend themselves while ignoring the real issues. SO.. for all of you who want to bitch and moan about what an evil and violent country the US is, how about starting by addressing questions I asked over 15 replies ago?

This country has more gun legislation then almost any other country - literally thousands of pages of legislation which has done precisely nothing. So if laws don't change anything, let's start to look at the fundamental problems which may be contributing to this issue. Personal accountability, parental responsibility, etc.

Quoting BCAInfoSys (Reply 90):
My questions - What kind of weapon was used? How was the weapon acquired (legally vs illegally)? What kind of security plans are in place at NIU? What is the policy on student's carrying concealed weapons on campus?

BCAInfoSys

Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:40 am

Quoting SESGDL (Reply 96):
Quoting Trekster (Reply 95):

I agree 100%. Unfortunately delusion runs rampant in this country and that isn't going to change.

OK geniuses of socialogy.. please educate us ignorants: what would you do? What possible solution would you have for this massive problem which would solve the issue once and for all?

If you can guarantee me that violence/crime was solved once and for all, I would be ok with limiting gun ownership. But as that is an impossibility, I choose personal choice and accountability for my own well-being. If society can't solve the issue (which it can't), then I choose to be responsible for my safety and the safety of my family.