Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ME AVN FAN

RE: What's Wrong With The South (of The UK)

Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:28 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 46):
Dover?????

Apart from the castle (which is stunning), Dover's an absolute hole!

Absolutely so ! BUT it has the ferries to the Continent .

skidmarks

Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:30 am

Quoting LHRjc (Reply 39):
You clearly haven't strayed over the border into Kent then!!

I lived in Kent for a a while and you're right around the Medway/Maidstone area but there are some nice places.

Nighthawk, I've been off-line while moving south.

Banco, go and boil your head you oik! I'm close enough to come and slap you now!!  devil 

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

ME AVN FAN

Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:30 am

Quoting Fiatstilojtd (Reply 48):
since I left to join the RAF 35 years ago.

Don't you miss one or two zeros after the 35 there Andy ?

No, he just mixed up the 3 with the 8
-

Banco

Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:38 am

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 51):
Banco, go and boil your head you oik! I'm close enough to come and slap you now!!

Do they let you out unassisted in those Eastbourne care homes?
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

Doona

Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:38 am

Quoting LHRjc (Thread starter):
I am here to ask for your support.

Well, having a Scottish grandmother sadly means that I cannae give you any support, ya bawbag!

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

skidmarks

Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:40 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 53):
Do they let you out unassisted in those Eastbourne care homes?

I live in Horley, hub of the known universe and retirement home of the rich and infamous! Eastbourne comes later!

Andy  old 

LHRjc
Topic Author

Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:42 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 44):
If you're from East Kent like me, half the rest of the country thinks you're Australian.

rotfl  I can safely say I've never mistaken anyone from Kent to be Australian! Awesome! I was born in the fine place they call Royal Tunbridge Wells though, and then moved to Croydon so I guess I escaped the Australian twang... Phew!!

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 45):
I therefore in Britain prefer Southern England with London, Bristol, Plymouth, Exeter, Bournemouth, Arundel and Dover.

Good choice sir!

I lived in Kent for a a while and you're right around the Medway/Maidstone area but there are some nice places.

Yes there are... my parents live over near Sevenoaks and there are some lovely places round there.. but some parts of East Kent are certainly a little bleak... sorry Banco!
"Our 319's are very reliable. They get fixed very quickly."

PlymSpotter

Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:45 am

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 55):
I live in Horley, hub of the known universe and retirement home of the rich and infamous! Eastbourne comes later!

Later eh? Just remember they like the old dears back in their rooms and tucked up by 8pm  Wink
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Banco

Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:46 am

Quoting LHRjc (Reply 56):
I can safely say I've never mistaken anyone from Kent to be Australian!

Kent people don't. As soon as you go elsewhere they do.  Yeah sure

I was born in the fine place they call Royal Tunbridge Wells though

Pfft. A scummy Kentishman. That explains a lot.  Wink

but some parts of East Kent are certainly a little bleak... sorry Banco!

I agree. Why do you think I live in West Sussex? Some nice places too, mind; but it's a rather poor part of the country.

Banco

Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:48 am

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 55):
I live in Horley

Can you imagine how bad a town has to be to be described as a satellite of Crawley?  Wow!

RobertNL070

Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:51 am

Apart from the castle (which is stunning)

... and the ferry terminals that I frequently use,...

Dover's an absolute hole!

C'mon - off topic - Dover is a lot nicer than its French counterparts Calais and Dunkerque.
Born to be wild ...... until about 9 p.m.
Home = RTM, Rotterdam The Hague.

skidmarks

Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:54 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 59):
Can you imagine how bad a town has to be to be described as a satellite of Crawley?

What twaddle, everyone knows Crawley is the spawn of Horley, where we send the bad boys and girls!! Big grin

Andy  old 

Banco

Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:54 am

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 60):
C'mon - off topic - Dover is a lot nicer than its French counterparts Calais and Dunkerque.

Um...no. It isn't. Calais town centre is really lovely. Dover town centre is a dump. I know the place extremely well, it's where my wife is from, and I'm from Hythe not that far away!

The ferries are useful though. We used to go out to Calais for the night of a weekend.

cornish

Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:56 am

Dear oh dear oh dear. What a pointless argument over which is better North or South.

Everybody knows the West Country is the best place to be on this island. And to us, everyone is a Northerner - even people from London Big grin

West is indeed best  Smile
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

nighthawk

Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:58 am

Nighthawk, I've been off-line while moving south.

are you still working for eastern at NWI?

Quoting Doona (Reply 54):
Well, having a Scottish grandmother sadly means that I cannae give you any support, ya bawbag!

Cheers
Mats

Welcome to the club! You sound like a true scotsman there!

extspotter

Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:04 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 45):
I therefore in Britain prefer Southern England with London, Bristol, Plymouth, Exeter, Bournemouth, Arundel and Dover.

Wooo! Go me!
AF BE BY FR MV PD SZ U2 VZ DHC6, 8-3/4Q, 732/8, 763ER, A319, A380

IH8BY

Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:08 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 36):
The South is better because I have all the money.

Simple. Wink

O RLY?

I've found the north of England to be largely more friendly than the south (though that disappears once you get into Scotland speaking with a voice like mine). Almost scarily friendly, in that people on the train and bus will just start chatting to you as though you know them. Being from the south, where EVERYONE (well, except the chavs) minds their own business, it was very strange encountering this when I found myself in the North East for a couple of years.

I once did some research on the streets of Glasgow in a group. Part of our risk assessment involved instructions for me not to speak whilst interviewing people in the streets (about the merits of Irn-Bru, no less), for fear that I would sound "too English" for some areas of the city.
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?

skidmarks

Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:09 pm

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 64):
are you still working for eastern at NWI?

Working for Virgin at LGW (well, Crawley) contracting.

Andy  old 

cornish

Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:16 pm

Quoting IH8BY (Reply 66):
I've found the north of England to be largely more friendly than the south (though that disappears once you get into Scotland speaking with a voice like mine). Almost scarily friendly, in that people on the train and bus will just start chatting to you as though you know them. Being from the south, where EVERYONE (well, except the chavs) minds their own business,

Unless you go as south as it gets to Cornwall where everyone will take the time to chat to you. You might not understand what they are saying but they always like a good natter. We don't have public transport down our way to chat on however  Wink

But when i went to University in Newcastle I felt quite at home up there because it felt a bit like a big city version of home in that respect.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

MYT332

Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:28 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 68):
Unless you go as south as it gets to Cornwall where everyone will take the time to chat to you.

They don't get out much though, do they? Big grin
One Life, Live it.

cornish

Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:36 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 69):
They don't get out much though, do they?

Not out of Cornwall much, no Big grin

Out the house, yes, we all live on the beach surfing of course  Wink

Banco

Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:45 pm

I've found the north of England to be largely more friendly than the south (though that disappears once you get into Scotland speaking with a voice like mine). Almost scarily friendly, in that people on the train and bus will just start chatting to you as though you know them. Being from the south, where EVERYONE (well, except the chavs) minds their own business, it was very strange encountering this when I found myself in the North East for a couple of years.

That's because people in the south are polite and consider the privacy of others. In the north the rude buggers just barge in and start chatting to you, telling you about their hysterectomy and their daughter's man troubles when all you want to do is read your book in peace.

The last thing I want is some old bag rabbiting away to me when I'm on the train.  Wink

cornish

Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:47 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 71):
The last thing I want is some old bag rabbiting away to me when I'm on the train.

You've shocked me with that last remark Banco.

You actually use public transport ??  Wow!

Banco

Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:51 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 72):
You actually use public transport ??

On occasion, old boy, on occasion.

Though I was frankly horrified at the kind of people they're letting in to First Class these days. Some of them don't even have servants.

IH8BY

Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:52 pm

Yes, well that's maybe the extreme end of it. I found it quite a nice change, though I'm not sure I could live with it permanently, as I'd be worried I'd start doing it too much. Three years in the North East was probably about right.
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?

LHRjc
Topic Author

Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:53 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 71):
The last thing I want is some old bag rabbiting away to me when I'm on the train.

It's such a shame the good old First Class compartments were done away with in favour of open plan carriages, or we wouldn't be subjected to this nonsense  Smile

LHRjc
Topic Author

Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:54 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 73):
Though I was frankly horrified at the kind of people they're letting in to First Class these days

Tell me about it, I even saw MYT332 in there the other day. He must have been fare dodging.

IH8BY

Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:55 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 73):

Though I was frankly horrified at the kind of people they're letting in to First Class these days. Some of them don't even have servants.

Ah yes, that would be me. I say blame the train operating companies for running discounted First tickets; everyone snaps up the cheap standard tickets straight away, meaning that First has often been the cheapest option for me. Naturally, I don't tell my friends that.

nighthawk

Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:07 pm

I've found the north of England to be largely more friendly than the south (though that disappears once you get into Scotland speaking with a voice like mine). Almost scarily friendly, in that people on the train and bus will just start chatting to you as though you know them.

thats one of the big differences I noticed. Especially in edinburgh if you were just walking past someone in the street they would smile or raise their eyebrows in a "y'all right" kind of friendly greeting. Down south everyone just walks by with their head lowered and wont give you the time of day if you asked attitude.

I was sat in the hotel bar in LHR on a spotting weekend when I overheard a conversation between a couple at the table next to us. They didnt have much of an accent, and sounded more english than scottish. the guy was going on about how everyone just walks by you and doesnt even acknowledge you exist, and will happily just slam the door in your face not realising there is someone behind you.

As he said this I was in complete agreement, and thought to myself, "you wouldnt get that in edinburgh". And the next words out of his mouth? "you wouldnt get that in edinburgh". I almost burst out laughing!

Far more civilised population up north!

skidmarks

Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:13 pm

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 78):

For that read "nosy, interfering busybody's"!

Andy  old   stirthepot 

Fiatstilojtd

Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:14 pm

I was sat in the hotel bar in LHR on a spotting weekend when I overheard a conversation between a couple at the table next to us. They didnt have much of an accent, and sounded more english than scottish. the guy was going on about how everyone just walks by you and doesnt even acknowledge you exist, and will happily just slam the door in your face not realising there is someone behind you.

As he said this I was in complete agreement, and thought to myself, "you wouldnt get that in edinburgh". And the next words out of his mouth? "you wouldnt get that in edinburgh". I almost burst out laughing!

To explain that is simple Nighthawk, in Edinburgh you do not have doors which someone could slam in your face, you have old potato bags.  Wink

PlymSpotter

Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:21 pm

Quoting IH8BY (Reply 77):
Ah yes, that would be me. I say blame the train operating companies for running discounted First tickets; everyone snaps up the cheap standard tickets straight away, meaning that First has often been the cheapest option for me. Naturally, I don't tell my friends that.

Ditto - it's great when that happens isn't it! Big grin Has even made me take the train instead of flying a few times recently

LHRjc
Topic Author

Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:47 pm

Especially in edinburgh if you were just walking past someone in the street they would smile or raise their eyebrows in a "y'all right" kind of friendly greeting.

That's because they're permanently drunk!

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 81):
Has even made me take the train instead of flying a few times recently

How dare you say such things on this site! Are you sure a certain person hasn't borrowed your account?!

PlymSpotter

Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:54 pm

Quoting LHRjc (Reply 82):
How dare you say such things on this site! Are you sure a certain person hasn't borrowed your account?!

Hmm, say yes and see how long he gets banned for this time, or answer truthfully and spoil the fun  scratchchin 

Signed,
Alex

Wink

LHRjc
Topic Author

Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:22 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 83):
Hmm, say yes and see how long he gets banned for this time, or answer truthfully and spoil the fun

oh you evil, evil man... I like it  biggrin 

skidmarks

Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:11 pm

Especially in edinburgh if you were just walking past someone in the street they would smile or raise their eyebrows in a "y'all right" kind of friendly greeting.

It's just the same down South - only the greeting is in Polish!  duck 

Andy  old 

MYT332

Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:30 pm

Quoting LHRjc (Reply 76):
I even saw MYT332 in there the other day. He must have been fare dodging.

Pah, I don't fare dodge! I always have a valid ticket. However I have a "friend" who travels a particular route a lot and once a month he buys Saver Returns for both the outbound and return legs of one journey. Afterward this initial journey is complete he then uses the return portion of the tickets as the 'outbound' ticket and counts on the fact that because he keeps the tickets in a National Rail ticket wallet and conductors are so lazy as to ask to stamp the ticket, he'll get away with using that ticket numerous times. I believe the most he has used one 'return' portion of a Saver Return is 10 times! I myself never do such things although it's rather clever. It's not fare dodging, it's a perfectly valid ticket if unstamped and in date!

To a degree, mainly Lancaster. After that you get Cumbria with hills and things, then inbred Carlisle on the border and then shock horror it just degenerates into tribal-ness.

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 83):
Hmm, say yes and see how long he gets banned for this time, or answer truthfully and spoil the fun

You ate the food, you drank the wine, do the right thing.

Quoting LHRjc (Reply 84):
oh you evil, evil man... I like it

I like it that you have £900 to lose! Big grin

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 85):
It's just the same down South - only the greeting is in Polish!

Well that's where they all prefer to go. They know the south if full of mugs and they can get away with living there albeit the North has a fair few of em'!

However whatever you say about the South being great you just can't get passed the fact that you are closer to France than Manchester and as such, you are all a big bunch of stinking cheese eating surrender monkeys! Big grin
One Life, Live it.

PlymSpotter

Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 86):
Afterward this initial journey is complete he then uses the return portion of the tickets as the 'outbound' ticket and counts on the fact that because he keeps the tickets in a National Rail ticket wallet and conductors are so lazy as to ask to stamp the ticket, he'll get away with using that ticket numerous times. I believe the most he has used one 'return' portion of a Saver Return is 10 times! I myself never do such things although it's rather clever. It's not fare dodging, it's a perfectly valid ticket if unstamped and in date!

Glad I'm not the only one who does that! I haven't bought a ticket on the trains within Birmingham for months, they never check and I have a valid one waiting for the route I take...

You ate the food, you drank the wine, do the right thing.

I take it that means sleep with the nearest female object?  Wink

Dan Smile

skidmarks

Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:44 pm

you are all a big bunch of stinking cheese eating surrender monkeys

Thats rich coming from YOU! Northern fool!  tongue 

Andy  old 

MYT332

Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:01 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 87):
Glad I'm not the only one who does that!

I'm very proud of you (something you probably don't hear much!) however I can't say I do it at all. Ever since a local First Group boss sussed my online ramblings recently I've had to be very careful what I write. Hmm, so yes, it was a "friend".

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 88):
Thats rich coming from YOU! Northern fool!

Northern fool? Pardon? Didn't you choose to isolate yourself on a Northern rock in the Irish Sea for 20 years or some such rubbish? Me the fool? Ha!
One Life, Live it.

nighthawk

Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:20 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 89):
Northern fool? Pardon? Didn't you choose to isolate yourself on a Northern rock in the Irish Sea for 20 years or some such rubbish? Me the fool? Ha!

fraggle rock?

mhodgson

Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:20 pm

To a degree, mainly Lancaster

Naturally! Further than that it does get strange  Silly
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

IH8BY

Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:33 pm

isolate yourself on a Northern rock

Is that wise? I've heard these Northern Rocks are quite unstable...

LHRjc
Topic Author

Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:48 pm

However I have a "friend" who travels a particular route a lot and once a month he buys Saver Returns for both the outbound and return legs of one journey. Afterward this initial journey is complete he then uses the return portion of the tickets as the 'outbound' ticket and counts on the fact that because he keeps the tickets in a National Rail ticket wallet and conductors are so lazy as to ask to stamp the ticket, he'll get away with using that ticket numerous times. I believe the most he has used one 'return' portion of a Saver Return is 10 times! I myself never do such things although it's rather clever. It's not fare dodging, it's a perfectly valid ticket if unstamped and in date!

Oh, it would appear we all have "friends" like that. My "friend" uses an Oyster card wallet for such activities, and in fact has 2 York - Manchester Returns and an Open Return from London Bridge to LGW unstamped. Trouble is, down South we have these barriers to stop such fare dodging, so my "friend" says it's really only worth doing Up North... So I guess that's one thing you have in your favour - it's possible to fare dodge

I like it that you have £900 to lose!

*shuts up*  biggrin 

Banco

Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:50 pm

Quoting IH8BY (Reply 92):
I've heard these Northern Rocks are quite unstable...

Yes, but any cash crisis on that particular northern rock would be remarkably popular with everyone on the mainland, the tax-dodging swine...  Wink

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 81):
Has even made me take the train instead of flying a few times recently

That's good news. One less pleb on the plane...

LHRjc
Topic Author

Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:50 pm

Northern fool? Pardon?

He said. and I quote "NORTHERN FOOL"... Is your hearing suffering from working down the pit up there old boy?

skidmarks

Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:51 pm

Didn't you choose to isolate yourself on a Northern rock in the Irish Sea for 20 years or some such rubbish? Me the fool? Ha!

I was a rich tax exile for a mere 7 or so years. Now I am a poor but happy Southern chap living in the land of my birth!  tongue 

Andy  old 

nighthawk

Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:51 pm

Quoting LHRjc (Reply 93):
Oh, it would appear we all have "friends" like that. My "friend" uses an Oyster card wallet for such activities, and in fact has 2 York - Manchester Returns and an Open Return from London Bridge to LGW unstamped. Trouble is, down South we have these barriers to stop such fare dodging, so my "friend" says it's really only worth doing Up North... So I guess that's one thing you have in your favour - it's possible to fare dodge

friends my arse! We both know you have no friends! Your talking about each other....

nighthawk

Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:52 pm

nearly there....

Most Discussed Topics Posts last 7 days
Welcome Back Myt332! 231
Word Game 227 204
Daily Calls To Prayer Over Oxford 192
Word Game 226 178
NFL Division Weekend Thread 136
Apple Introduces The MacBook Air 101
What's Wrong With The South (of The UK) 98
What's Your Religion? 97

LHRjc
Topic Author

Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:53 pm

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 97):
friends my arse!

I've heard your arse has lots of male friends but we're discussing North vs South here....