Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LHRjc
Topic Author

What's Wrong With The South (of The UK)

Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:10 pm

As Nighthawk has thrown down the gauntlet in the thread Welcome Back Myt332! (by Nighthawk Jan 14 2008 in Non Aviation) , I am here to ask for your support. He claims, naively, that Scotland is better than the South, and that by starting this thread it will quickly become the most popular thread in Non-Av, as he thinks the South is a dump, and Scotland is beautiful. He is wrong... obviously.

Therefore, I would like to ask you to pledge your support for the South in this thread. Obviously just like the Fox News Channel, this thread will be kept fair and balanced, and therefore all anti-Southern posts will have the Suggest Deletion button pressed against them  Smile

OK, let the Southern-bashing begin...

Oh and for the record, unfortunately I spend my time equally between said North and South, so please don't think I'm being anti-Northern  biggrin 
"Our 319's are very reliable. They get fixed very quickly."

RacingGreen07

RE: What's Wrong With The South (of The UK)

Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:12 pm

I think the South is great...

erm.....erm....well.....erm we are closer to the equator than Scotland and therefore have better weather? Thats all for right now but I'm sure I can think of other things soon!
A dream worth having is a dream worth pursuing- August Horch- Founder of Audi AG

nighthawk

Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:14 pm

Quoting LHRjc (Thread starter):
as he thinks the South is a dump, and Scotland is beautiful. He is wrong... obviously.

i never said that! .... however it is of course true..

but back to the topic... whats bloody right with it? Its full of english for a start! not only that, but southern nancies! The worst type...

Fiatstilojtd

Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:16 pm

LHRjc you cancelled the support for me, I cancel the support for you...simple and easy as that... Wink Big grin.

But Scotland is a dump.....

LHRjc
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:17 pm

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 2):
but back to the topic... whats bloody right with it?

I can order a Domino's Pizza and magically 20 minutes later it's delivered... free... Can you? No, you can't. I rest my case.

LHRjc
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Quoting Fiatstilojtd (Reply 3):
But Scotland is a dump.....

I'm gaining respect for you once again  Smile

RacingGreen07

Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:20 pm

Quoting LHRjc (Reply 4):
I can order a Domino's Pizza and magically 20 minutes later it's delivered... free... Can you? No, you can't. I rest my case.

LOL, there are Dominos outlets in Scotland...
A dream worth having is a dream worth pursuing- August Horch- Founder of Audi AG

IH8BY

Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:21 pm

Is this an appropriate moment to quote Dr. Johnson (of dictionary fame)?

Furthermore, where does the South stop? Surely before the Scottish border! As I see it, the South of England stops somewhere south of Birmingham, and the North begins from there on, although it is interrupted by the presence of Yorkshire (whose residents are so resolutely independent that they may well be demanding a flag on here soon), and continues up to the border. Scotland in my mind is something different altogether. It's not The North. It's just Scotland.
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?

LHRjc
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:29 pm

Quoting IH8BY (Reply 7):
Furthermore, where does the South stop?

Watford? No, I think you have summed up the definitions of the South and North perfectly fairly  Smile

Quoting IH8BY (Reply 7):
Yorkshire (whose residents are so resolutely independent that they may well be demanding a flag on here soon)

rotfl  Never a truer word spoken!

Quoting IH8BY (Reply 7):
Scotland in my mind is something different altogether. It's not The North. It's just Scotland

So basically, the South is better than Yorkshire, and Scotland is just Scotland. Yep, I can go with that.  biggrin 

aloges

Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:29 pm

Scotland... isn't that what you see out of the right window when you're flying, say, AMS-JFK?  duck 
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

MYT332

Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:34 pm

He claims, naively, that Scotland is better than the South

Well I don't quite get what you are saying? Scotland is better than the South of what, England or Great Britain as a whole? Obviously the answer to that is neither but I just want to know if I have to defend England's north.
One Life, Live it.

RicciPettit

Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:35 pm

The South is the place to be!!

Especially Sittingbourne in Kent, where I spent the first 19 years of my life. Now I've been living a year up in Accrington, Lancashire I miss it so much.

I miss being able to just go into London when I get bored, everyone speaking properly and fully, and I don't know if this makes sense but the South has a better atmosphere. It's cheery and even the place names sound different.

Also I miss being able to see for miles without having to stare into the side of a mountain/hill.
Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either!

aloges

Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:36 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 10):
if I have to defend England's north.

Probably not, you may keep it. No one has a use for it anyway.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Fiatstilojtd

Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:37 pm

I just want to know if I have to defend England's north.

If they need you to defend the north, they are lost anyway  Silly

LHRjc
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:38 pm

Well I don't quite get what you are saying? Scotland is better than the South of what, England or Great Britain as a whole? Obviously the answer to that is neither but I just want to know if I have to defend England's north.

Considering you're only 1/32 Scottish you are being very patriotic  Smile How exactly do you intend to defend the North of England?!

GDB

Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:50 pm

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 2):
but back to the topic... whats bloody right with it? Its full of english for a start! not only that, but southern nancies! The worst type...

Well I've lived in the South my whole life, near LHR for most of it-working there it is choc full of Scots, always has been.
But they are of course, beyond good natured two way ribbing, secure in themselves.

WrenchBender

Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:56 pm

Anything east of Chester and south of Dolgellau, isn't worth a toss.  duck   mischievous 

WrenchBender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

RacingGreen07

Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:01 pm

WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?! No North and No South...

The north has rolling hills and eye catching greenery.

If your the type of person who loves the countryside then the middle-north you will find breathtaking. Or if you prefer the hustle and bustle of modern life then come to London, but be sure to not be swept off your feet!

Its always the Scottish people who are "toughest" in films..

LHRjc
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:02 pm

Quoting GDB (Reply 15):
But they are of course, beyond good natured two way ribbing, secure in themselves.

Aye, that they are... Which is why we can have "discussions" like this, eh Nighthawk?!  Smile

Quoting WrenchBender (Reply 16):
Anything east of Chester and south of Dolgellau, isn't worth a toss

Urgh. I hope you're not referring to that bit that sticks out the left hand side of the UK. I'd forgotten about that place. I think for fairnesses sake, that little bit needs to be excluded from this argument?

MYT332

Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:02 pm

Quoting Aloges (Reply 12):
Probably not, you may keep it. No one has a use for it anyway.

Except the majority of the UK?

Quoting LHRjc (Reply 14):
Considering you're only 1/32 Scottish you are being very patriotic

To what?
One Life, Live it.

PlymSpotter

Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:09 pm

Quoting IH8BY (Reply 7):
Furthermore, where does the South stop? Surely before the Scottish border! As I see it, the South of England stops somewhere south of Birmingham,

Eugh, please don't remind me about that place, it's bad enough that I live there! If including other regions such as Midlands, East and South West etc... then it does indeed begin south of Brum, aside of that there are no administrative boundaries to definately say something is north or south of that, so I guess we'll just have to have a bun fight to try and decide the matter. Please note - eating the buns will lead to an automatic disqualification.

Quoting RacingGreen07 (Reply 17):
WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?! No North and No South...

Because we're obviously so much better than them, and we need to keep reminding about it, just so that they know their place  Wink
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

LHRjc
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:16 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 20):
we'll just have to have a bun fight to try and decide the matter.

That's the most sensible thing I've heard all day. Now, the question is, which word do we use for bun? This could cause confusion, I mean a bun for me can be a breadcake, barm, roll, among other things. Argh....

PlymSpotter

Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:25 pm

Quoting LHRjc (Reply 21):
That's the most sensible thing I've heard all day. Now, the question is, which word do we use for bun? This could cause confusion, I mean a bun for me can be a breadcake, barm, roll, among other things. Argh....

Sod it then, let's just use sheep; we can use catapults to hurl them at each other Big grin

IH8BY

Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:25 pm

Why stop at buns? Anyone got a stottie handy? (when you come through arrivals at Newcastle International, Greggs helpfully offers you local information, by way of the proud declaration: "the North East: Home of the Stottie")
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?

Fiatstilojtd

Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:29 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 23):
we can use catapults to hurl them at each other Big grin

Why use catapults when you can use Nighthawk or Kirkie....or when I think about it why not use the catapults with/for Nighthawk and Kirkie  Wink

WrenchBender

Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:29 pm

Quoting LHRjc (Reply 19):
that bit that sticks out the left hand side of the UK

That "bit that sticks out" is the place I was brought up for 12 of the 13 years I lived in the UK. Without it we wouldn't have that great TV show 'The Prisoner', the only mountains in "the south" are there. Yes we speak a little funny but no funnier than brummies, geordies and wurzels.

WrenchBender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

ferengi80

Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:33 pm

I was born in Brighton, East Sussex, and now live in Widnes, Cheshire. I work in Liverpool. I love the South of England, and would love to move back down there. Not sure that I would love to Sussex, its far too expensive these days, but I would love to live somewhere like Oxford. However, there are some places in the North that are equally as nice - I adore Liverpool, and MAN wins my vote over LHR any day of the week! I have only flown through LHR once, and hated every moment of it! Okay, it was Terminal One, but I have been forever scarred by this horrendous experience!

There are areas of Scotland that I like, and areas that I detest. All in all, I would say the South wins the vote with me (and even though I have spent all but four years of my life living in the North, I will always class myself as a Southerner!)
AF1981 LHR-CDG A380-800 10 July 2010 / AF1980 CDG-LHR A380-800 11 July 2010

PlymSpotter

Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:35 pm

Quoting Fiatstilojtd (Reply 24):
(12 months 4 days 23 hours ago) and read 0 times:

Something gone a bit funny with the time there, or are you a Time Lord?

Quoting Fiatstilojtd (Reply 24):
or when I think about it why not use the catapults with/for Nighthawk and Kirkie

We have a limited supply (2), and they are on the wrong side to begin with, hence we must use the Sheep! Unless the Scots thing we are showering them in gifts - I suppose it could get a bit confusing for them  scratchchin 

Quoting WrenchBender (Reply 25):
That "bit that sticks out" is the place I was brought up for 12 of the 13 years I lived in the UK. Without it we wouldn't have that great TV show 'The Prisoner', the only mountains in "the south" are there. Yes we speak a little funny but no funnier than brummies, geordies and wurzels.

Ah, my condolences to you  Wink Actually, the most Southerly mountains in the Biritsh Isles are on Dartmoor; in the UK a mountain is considered to be a pice of land which extends to more than 2000ft over sea level, meaning there are a couple there.

Dan Smile

nighthawk

Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:36 pm

Quoting LHRjc (Reply 21):
This could cause confusion, I mean a bun for me can be a breadcake, barm, roll, among other things. Argh....

softies up here... butties elsewhere in scotland

Quoting LHRjc (Reply 19):
Aye, that they are... Which is why we can have "discussions" like this, eh Nighthawk?!

we give as good as we get

Obviously the answer to that is neither but I just want to know if I have to defend England's north.

you must defend northern england, we are discussing why the "south of england" is so crap. Sadly LHRjc is a typical useless southerner and couldnt even get the topic title correct  Yeah sure

IH8BY

Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:42 pm

Quoting Ferengi80 (Reply 26):
I would love to live somewhere like Oxford

'Orrible place, trust me.

Live just outside Oxford (or be a student), and then you don't have to put up with the bad bits.

mhodgson

Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:43 pm

Been a northerner almost all my life; been living in Oxford for about a year I have no real complaints about the south; though it is a little more expensive.

Though one thing that does rile me is people in the Home Counties complaining about poor public transport - they should try living in Morecambe, and then their complaints about poor services might just be heard!

Plus, the south is a long way to drive from Morecambe  Silly
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

A340600

Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:09 pm

If your the type of person who loves the countryside then the middle-north you will find breathtaking. Or if you prefer the hustle and bustle of modern life then come to London, but be sure to not be swept off your feet!

London isn't all there is down south.

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 20):
Because we're obviously so much better than them, and we need to keep reminding about it, just so that they know their place

Well said. When you've got people like Alex as the example of the North there really is no hope for them Wink

Goodnight.
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

RobertNL070

Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:53 pm

The north has rolling hills and eye catching greenery.

You've never heard of the Chilterns, the Cotswolds, the North Downs or South Downs then?  Smile
Born to be wild ...... until about 9 p.m.
Home = RTM, Rotterdam The Hague.

PlymSpotter

Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:58 pm

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 32):
You've never heard of the Chilterns, the Cotswolds, the North Downs or South Downs then?

Or Devon and Cornwall - you can quite easily get sick of the hills though, especially if you like cycling  grumpy 

skidmarks

Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:08 pm

As a born and bred Southerner who has lived all over the country (and that includes Scotland AND Wales!), I have to say I prefer the peace and quiet of Lincolnshire, the solitude of a remote Scottish glen or the wild, wet Welsh hills around Brecon. But, here I am, back in Horley, a place that has changed beyond belief since I left to join the RAF 35 years ago. I'm living in a flat I used to deliver papers to as a young stud (Well, I would have been - honest!)

But even here, with LGW on the doorstep and getting harder to spot at by the minute, I can find pretty little villages that are quintessentially English, I can find quiet rolling hills just a few miles from here and winding country lanes that belie the fact that a dirty great airport lurks only a few miles away.

Fact is, I can find places all over the United Kingdom - North, South, East or West - that I like and would live in. So, for me, there is only a North/South divide in the banter and piss-taking I indulge in wherever I roam.

So bicker and score points all you like kiddies, but just make sure you enjoy it before the whole place is turned into a bloody great car park which the Goverment will charge you for the privelage of using. Big grin

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

mainMAN

Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:13 pm

OK, let the Southern-bashing begin...

Oh and for the record, unfortunately I spend my time equally between said North and South, so please don't think I'm being anti-Northern biggrin

It's like this. The South and the Midlands are boring. The south east countryside is all very pretty and lovely but it undulates boringly so you never know just how far you are from anywhere, and you never really know where the coast is. And it's full of boring 1930s suburbia. Hemel Hempstead anyone....?  Big grin

On the other hand, anywhere north of about Stoke or Derby is God's country.

I thank you.

Banco

Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:10 am

The South is better because we have all the money.

Simple.  Wink
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

Leezyjet

Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:23 am

Not read the whole thread, but the South is crap because they cannot pull a decent pint of bitter. No sparklers on the spouts, so they pull it flat !!!. WTF is that all about ??.

Also too many people in the SE of England, too many cars, too many traffic jams, house prices too high.....

Yorkshire, now thats THE best place in the UK. Rolling countryside, and major city centres can be reached in 10 mins if you live in the right place, and we have the best fish and chips and can pull a decent pint, not as many people living there, cheaper house prices and less traffic !!.

And Leeds has an airport that was modelled on an aircraft carrier - what more could you ask for ?.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

skidmarks

Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:38 am

Quoting Leezyjet (Reply 37):
And Leeds has an airport that was modelled on an aircraft carrier - what more could you ask for ?.

More variety than Jet2, BMi and puddle jumpers?  duck  And less water around to float it!! Big grin

Oh, and have you tried getting through Leeds city centre at rush hour?

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

LHRjc
Topic Author

Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:43 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 36):
The South is better because we have all the money.

Ah, Banco, I knew I could rely on a one-liner from you to sum it up perfectly!   

Yorkshire, now thats THE best place in the UK.

You're having a laugh, right? Yorkshire? Pff... I have to spend half my life in that place, and basically if you're not from Yorkshire you're ostracized from the community like a leper! Or maybe it's just me? They can't even get on with their next door neighbours in Lancashire! And just because I have a Southern accent I'm called a cockney.. or was it just a cock, I'm not quite sure  

And Leeds has an airport that was modelled on an aircraft carrier

And so does the South - Biggin Hill. Granted, we don't let the riff raff in, but it's still pretty fun to fly in and out of.

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 34):
I can find pretty little villages that are quintessentially English

You clearly haven't strayed over the border into Kent then!!

[Edited 2008-01-18 00:43:45]

gkirk

Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:56 am

Quite a lot.

GKirk (heading south today  Yeah sure )
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

LHRjc
Topic Author

Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:01 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 40):
heading south today

It's ok, Her Majesty's Constabulary are on full alert. You won't get past Carlisle.

nighthawk

Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:16 am

welcome back skidmarks, where have you been hiding?

Quoting LHRjc (Reply 39):
if you're not from Yorkshire you're ostracized from the community like a leper! Or maybe it's just me?

its just you. Noone likes you, havent you realised that yet?  duck 

LHRjc
Topic Author

Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:34 am

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 42):
its just you. Noone likes you, havent you realised that yet?

*sniff* *sniff* it's ok, I had kinda worked that out by now!  box 

Banco

Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:54 am

And Leeds has an airport that was modelled on an aircraft carrier

And so does the South - Biggin Hill.

Even more than Biggin Hill we have London City, where you really do come in high and steep - if you miss you're in the water, and if you don't tell them you're on your way an air defence group comes to shoot you down.  Wink

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 40):
GKirk (heading south today )

Thus, the housing price falls are explained....

And just because I have a Southern accent I'm called a cockney

If you're from East Kent like me, half the rest of the country thinks you're Australian.  Yeah sure

ME AVN FAN

Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:18 am

Scotland is better than the South

I visited Edinburgh and Glasgow, in combination with Newcastle which to me whenever England is in the NORTH, some years ago in July. It in London has been comfortably warm while it up there was rather cold, like in early winter . Edinburgh indeed IS beautiful, and the citycentre of Glasgow is nice at least.
-
I therefore in Britain prefer Southern England with London, Bristol, Plymouth, Exeter, Bournemouth, Arundel and Dover.
-

Quoting RacingGreen07 (Reply 1):
closer to the equator than Scotland

less close to the Arctic Circle, would be MY way to put it !  Big grin
-

Quoting Aloges (Reply 9):
Scotland... isn't that what you see out of the right window when you're flying, say, AMS-JFK? duck

you ought rather to see Wales and Ireland, usually at least
-

Banco

Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:25 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 45):
and Dover

Dover?????

Apart from the castle (which is stunning), Dover's an absolute hole!

PlymSpotter

Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:26 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 44):
Even more than Biggin Hill we have London City, where you really do come in high and steep - if you miss you're in the water, and if you don't tell them you're on your way an air defence group comes to shoot you down.

Try PLH as well, the new carriers for the navy will be a quarter of it's runway length!

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 45):
I therefore in Britain prefer Southern England with London, Bristol, Plymouth, Exeter, Bournemouth, Arundel and Dover.

Good man! Big grin

Fiatstilojtd

Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:09 am

since I left to join the RAF 35 years ago.

Don't you miss one or two zeros after the 35 there Andy ?  Wink

Banco

Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:23 am

Quoting Fiatstilojtd (Reply 48):
since I left to join the RAF 35 years ago.

Don't you miss one or two zeros after the 35 there Andy ?

It was called the Royal Flying Corps at the time...