Boston92
Topic Author

Tips On Cross Country Road Trip (United States)

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:33 pm

I know road trips aren't really your thing, but I just wanted to know if you had any tips for me.

Myself and three other adults will make the journey. We will drive one way and fly back meaning we will have to rent a car. I have narrowed down our car selection to a Ford Explorer (5PAX), or a Ford Minivan (7PAX). The ONLY reason why we would consider the minivan is because of the four bucket seats. Which would you choose?

The route will be from Santa Barbara, CA to Washington DC. We have decided to take a more northern route (I-80, I-70) and not take the boring I-40. We might intersect I-90 at some point and visit Chicago. We would like to make it across in 5 or 6 days (4 or 5 nights). What route would you choose?

Any other tips or info would be cool.

DAL767400ER

RE: Tips On Cross Country Road Trip (United States)

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:50 pm

Quoting Boston92 (Thread starter):
I know road trips aren't really your thing

It sure is my thing, just don't have the time, let alone money for a true cross-country US road trip  Sad .

Which would you choose?

The one that consumes less fuel  Wink , which normally should be the minivan.

What route would you choose?

I-15 heading towards SLC, turning on I-70 in Utah and take that one up to Denver (I-70 alongside the Colorado River through the Rockies is a beautiful, scenic route, IMHO). If you want to head to Chicago, I-76 from Denver northeast, going over into I-80 straight through Nebraska (boring), Iowa (boring) and into Illinois and Chicago. From there, I-80/90 to Cleveland, jump onto I-76 through Pennsylvania and onto I-70 and subsequently I-270 into DC.
If you want to avoid the tolled Turnpikes from Chicago eastward, go down I-65 into Indy and then drive I-70 to Pittsburg, go south on I-79 and then switch to I-68 until you meet I-70 again for your last leg into DC.

Boston92
Topic Author

Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:21 pm

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 1):

Thanks. I have never made a cross country trip either, although I have driven I-5 in its entirety on a few occasions (I guess you could call that cross country, just not the long way).

AirCop

Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:53 pm

I-70 in Eastern Colorado, and Kansas will make I-40 look like a super duper scenic drive. Regarding the vehicle, the sensible idea would be get the vehicle that has the most interior room for the most comfort. Your route does sound interesting, going through the mountains in Utah and Colorado would be beautiful. Depending on the time of the year you will need to watch for snow on I-80 and I-70. Also remember a car rented in California will not be a peak performer in the mountains, but after that you'll be okay.

seb146

Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:04 pm

As a former truck driver, my advice is avoid I-80! Salt Lake is the only thing even remotly worth seeing on that route between Reno and Chicago. I would go I-15 to I-70 to Denver, then across Nebraska and Iowa. I-70 between Grand Junction and Denver is beautiful as is the Virgin River Canyon between Las Vegas and St George, Utah.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

N1120A

Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:11 pm

The ONLY reason why we would consider the minivan is because of the four bucket seats. Which would you choose?

Minivan, without a doubt. It will handle better, be more comfortable and get much better fuel economy. The 4 bucket seats makes a huge difference.

The route will be from Santa Barbara, CA to Washington DC. We have decided to take a more northern route (I-80, I-70) and not take the boring I-40. We might intersect I-90 at some point and visit Chicago. We would like to make it across in 5 or 6 days (4 or 5 nights). What route would you choose?

Given that you are going west to east, the time zones will actually be working against you, so you have to factor that in a bit to your plans. Still, going at a hard but easily livable pace, I can do 3 days/2 nights across the country, so that gives you a little room to play with on your journey. I actually find much of I-40's route, particularly through the Painted Desert, Flagstaff, Albuquerque, etc. quite nice, but the middle route you are looking at with I-70 should also be nice, at least until you hit east of Denver. You should also give consideration to the time of year, seeing that the I-70 route could well be very dangerous in the winter.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Boston92
Topic Author

Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:15 pm

Quoting AirCop (Reply 3):

It will be a July/Aug trip, so snow will hopefully not be a problem.

Also, cross country drop off fees with the rental are expensive. The cheapest I could find is $689.00 for the Explorer. Which is actually quite cheap seeing that every other car rental agency wants $800-1500.

Boston92
Topic Author

Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:20 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 5):
particularly through the Painted Desert, Flagstaff, Albuquerque, etc.

Yeah...Flagstaff and New Mexico are really neat places and I would love to go through, but taking a more northern route seemed a bit more fun (but I really don't know). I want to drive through Denver and the Rockies and I have never been to Chicago (other than O'Hare), so a stop there would also be nice.

Once we get to DC, we plan on staying there for 3 or 4 nights, then up to NYC and Massachusetts for a few more nights before heading home.

N1120A

Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:20 pm

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 6):

It will be a July/Aug trip, so snow will hopefully not be a problem.

But heat will. I would definately stick with the more northern route to temper the risk of an unknown rental commodity.

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 6):

Also, cross country drop off fees with the rental are expensive.

Have you thought of doing a drive for one of those car moving services?

KaiGywer

Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:21 pm

Another thing you could look into is driving somebody else's car. I can't remember the name of the service, but basically they have a car that needs to go from A to B. You drive it for free and sometimes they even pay the gas and tolls.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

Boston92
Topic Author

Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:23 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 8):
Have you thought of doing a drive for one of those car moving services?

Yeah, but it just seems too hectic. The 700 bucks we pay for a rental dwarfs what airfare or railfare would be for 4 people, so in perspective, it is not too bad.

Boston92
Topic Author

Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:25 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 9):

Auto DriveAway, I think. Like I said, it seems to hectic to me, but since the rental is refundable, we will look into that a few weeks before we depart.

KaiGywer

Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:26 pm

“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

N1120A

Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:31 pm

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 10):
The 700 bucks we pay for a rental dwarfs what airfare or railfare would be for 4 people, so in perspective, it is not too bad.

Actually, the railfare for 4 people runs just over $800 without the $20 AAA discount. If you get that, it is $720. Your $700 for the car doesn't include what will run up around $500 in gas and another $300-$500 in motels/hotels and even more in food. If you then get 2 roomettes, which includes all your food and beds as opposed to the coach seats (which are as comfortable as your La-Z-Boy at home), it will still run you less than the gas/motel bump, and that is before factoring in food costs on the trip.

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 9):
I can't remember the name of the service

Autodriveaway is one of them I believe.

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 10):

Yeah, but it just seems too hectic.

How so?

AirTranTUS

Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:12 am

I have done two 5000mi+ road trips in a minivan and can certainly recommend that mode. Adults will be much more comfortable in the larger vehicle.
I love ASO!

comorin

Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:28 am

I drove NYC-SFO seven years ago, it was a wonderful experience. I loved Colorado, especially Aspen in the summer. I think you need to add a day to your itinerary for a comfortable trip.

My trip: NY - Fairmont WV - Cleveland - Chicago - Kansas City - Aspen - Utah - Tahoe - SFO. 7 days in all, not a dull moment.

From Santa Barbara, might be fun driving thru New Mexico, up to Colorado, then to DC via Chicago and Cleveland.

Happy Trails!

RJdxer

Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:37 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 13):
it will still run you less than the gas/motel bump, and that is before factoring in food costs on the trip.

Yep, but you can't stop the train when you see something really interesting and sometimes the most memorable part of the trip is stopping at some little place not even mentioned on the map. I would definetely second the I65 to I70 and then across with the drop down from Pittsburgh to I68 cause that is a pretty drive.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

N1120A

Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:38 am

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 16):

Yep, but you can't stop the train when you see something really interesting and sometimes the most memorable part of the trip is stopping at some little place not even mentioned on the map.

One of the cool things about the train is that Amtrak allows stopovers.

Chi-town

RE: Tips On Cross Country Road Trip (United States

Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:42 am

When you pass through Illinois please do not just take I-80 all the way across into Indiana ( I can almost guarantee that will be the most boring part of the trip). When you are passing through IL you will get to about Joliet, IL and then you will want to take I-55 North into Chicago. If you stay on I-55 for about 30-45 min. this will let you out right at Lake Shore Drive downtown by Solider Field and the Field Museum.

To get back on I-80 going east toward Indiana you should take I-94 South. Once you get back on I-80 from there (Lansing, IL) , im not sure which way you are planning on going, but you can grab I-65 south toward Indianapolis not to far after the Illinois/Indiana border.

RJdxer

Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:43 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 17):
One of the cool things about the train is that Amtrak allows stopovers.

You mean if you just see something by the side of the tracks and want to get out and stretch your legs and investigate it, you can just pull a cord and make the train stop? That's way cool!!!!
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

N1120A

Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:18 am

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 19):

You mean if you just see something by the side of the tracks and want to get out and stretch your legs and investigate it, you can just pull a cord and make the train stop? That's way cool!!!!

Funny. Then again, with Amtrak, there is no need to stretch your legs  Wink

vikkyvik

Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:31 am

I just moved from Boston to LA this past September, and a friend and I did the cross-country drive in my car.

We planned the whole drive out pretty well. But basically, it was:

Day 1 (Friday): Boston to Bridgewater, NJ (220 miles)
Day 2 (Saturday): Bridgewater to Dayton, OH (577 miles)
Day 3 (Sunday): Dayton to Chicago, IL (298 miles)
Day 4 (Monday): Chicago to Lexington, NE (690 miles)
Day 5 (Tuesday): Lexington to Pueblo, CO) (430 miles)
Day 6 (Wednesday): Pueblo to Gallup, NM (500 miles)
Day 7 (Thursday): Gallup to Grand Canyon, AZ (270 miles)
Day 8 (Friday): Grand Canyon to Las Vegas, NV (280 miles)
Day 9 (Saturday): Vegas, baby
Day 10 (Sunday): Vegas to LA, CA (270 miles)

We alternated long and short drive days.

Sights we saw:

National Air Force Museum, in Dayton
Walked around Chicago, and went up to the bar at the top of the John Hancock Building
Garden of the Gods, in CO Springs
Grand Canyon
Our money going down the drain in Vegas.

We were hoping to see some pueblos in New Mexico, but didn't manage to do that.

Anyway, it was a great time. Let me know if you want any more information, regarding the specific route we took or anything.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

don81603

Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:11 pm

If it were me, I'd take I-15 north to I-70 and head east to Effingham IL. Nice scenery, except the stretch from Denver to the CO/KS line. From Effingham, you can take I-57 north to the Windy. If you don't mind the tolls, you can run the Indiana Toll Road (I-80/90) to the Ohio turnpike, and onto I-76 through PA. The run through PA is particularly scenic, and the hills won't slow you down much at all.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

NorthstarBoy

Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:46 am

I have to concur with Seb146, I-80 is the most boring drive on the face of the earth, all flat.

Honestly, if you have some time, get off the interstate, take the old federal highways, often you can drive as fast on those as you can on the interstate and you see so much more both in terms of small towns and scenery.

I've driven between California and Colorado 3 times and once i got off the interstate, it was a much more enjoyable trip, both pace and scenery wise.

However you go, have fun and drive safely.
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

tootallsd

Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:48 am

Self gloss: In 2001 I spent 83 days wandering the country on my motorcycle. Before blogs, I had a blog, still live at www.my80days.com

tommy767

Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:53 am

I drove from Los Angeles to New Jersey last May in a 1997 Toyota Camry XLE V6. A great car to make the trip in. Most of my segments were done on 1-40 which stretches from California to North Carolina.

My Route
Day 1: Los Angeles, CA to Albuquerque, NM (831 Miles, very scenic.) 13 hrs.
Day 2: Albuquerque, NM to Oklahoma City, OK (577 Miles, not very scenic.) 10 Hrs.
Day 3: Oklahoma City, OK to Nashville, TN (690 Miles, interesting but not scenic.) 11 Hrs.
Day 4: Nashville, TN to Myrtle Beach, SC (Over 700 Miles, Long drive but rewarding.) 12 Hrs.
Day 5: Myrtle Beach, SC to Baltimore, MD (Somwhere around 500 miles.) 8.5 Hrs.
Day 6: Baltimore, MD to Basking Ridge, NJ (Under 300 Miles.) 3 Hrs.

It was a fun trip and I'm doing it again this summer with my girlfriend. Not sure of what route I'm going to drive yet.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

N1120A

Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:41 pm

Quoting NorthstarBoy (Reply 23):
I-80 is the most boring drive on the face of the earth, all flat.

Interstate 10 and I disagree with you  Wink.

N1120A

Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:01 pm

Quoting Tootallsd (Reply 24):

Needless to say, that was an awesome trip. Question: how come some of the average speeds were so low? Did you stick with country roads?

Tom in NO

Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:41 pm

a Ford Explorer (5PAX), or a Ford Minivan (7PAX). The ONLY reason why we would consider the minivan is because of the four bucket seats. Which would you choose?

It's a no-brainer.....minivan, for the reasons everyone else stated.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 26):
Interstate 10 and I disagree with you

Be more specific  wink  .....I-10 west of San Antonio to LA is actually pretty cool to me. I-10 from San Antonio east to Jacksonville pretty boring.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

N1120A

Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:50 am

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 28):
.I-10 west of San Antonio to LA is actually pretty cool to me.

Ok Tommy, you have confirmed the thoughts of all your nearest and dearest friends. You are insane  Silly

I-10 from San Antonio east to Jacksonville pretty boring.

At least that stretch includes New Orleans  Wink

tootallsd

Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:52 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 27):
Needless to say, that was an awesome trip. Question: how come some of the average speeds were so low? Did you stick with country roads?

A function of either low speed driving due to road conditions or lots of reasons to stop. I tried to avoid interstate roads as much as possible.

N1120A

Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:58 am

Quoting Tootallsd (Reply 30):

A function of either low speed driving due to road conditions or lots of reasons to stop

Ah, you included stops. That makes sense now.

Quoting Tootallsd (Reply 30):
I tried to avoid interstate roads as much as possible.

Also makes sense. Seems like a hell of a trip.

tz757300

Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:09 am

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 1):
I-68

A very BEAUTIFUL stretch of road to drive. I've driven the entirety of the road both ways traveling from home to WVU. Be sure to stop at Sidling Hill and take in the view. Its magnificent.
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

aloha73g

Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:42 am

I reccomend the Minivan....without a doubt. the extra room will come in handy, plus its better for gas.

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

lowrider

Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:46 am

I-10 west of San Antonio to LA is actually pretty cool to me. I-10 from San Antonio east to Jacksonville pretty boring.

I have to go the other way on this one. I-10 from San Antonio west to Phoenix is beautiful to me. Buzz Aldrin's quote of "manificent desolation" comes to mind. What ever route you take, I would use the an interstate once you get east of the Rockies. There are a few interesting stop offs, but mostly you will just want to make time. West of the Rockies and east of the Appliachians, I like to get off the interstate and use state and county highways when possible. I find it much more interesting. It is not a good plan if you are pressed for time, but the best road trips are the ones where you stay flexible and just chase down what ever looks interesting. A note of caution, make sure you understand what types of roads the map is depicting. Otherwise you might find yourself attempting to drive through remote parts of West Virginia in the rain on winding dirt roads with little shoulder and no guardrail. But that is another story.
Proud OOTSK member

tz757300

Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:07 am

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 34):
West of the Rockies and east of the Appliachians, I like to get off the interstate and use state and county highways when possible. I find it much more interesting. It is not a good plan if you are pressed for time, but the best road trips are the ones where you stay flexible and just chase down what ever looks interesting. A note of caution, make sure you understand what types of roads the map is depicting. Otherwise you might find yourself attempting to drive through remote parts of West Virginia in the rain on winding dirt roads with little shoulder and no guardrail. But that is another story.

I agree with that. If you want a good drive thats pretty scenic until you get to the capitol, take a drive on US 50 through Appalachia. Some wonderful views from that stretch of road.
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

seb146

Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:11 pm

If you take I-70 through Colorado between Grand Junction and Denver, I would encourage you to go over Loveland Pass instead of going through the Eisenhower Tunnels. I went over it in an 18-wheeler. The top of the pass is almost 12,000 feet. Really cool! However, through the Midwest, there HAS to be road side attractions, because there is nothing else to see!
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Tom in NO

Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:33 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 29):
Ok Tommy, you have confirmed the thoughts of all your nearest and dearest friends. You are insane

So you're saying that my mind is indeed a ummm, errr.....a desert  wink  ?!

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 34):
I have to go the other way on this one. I-10 from San Antonio west to Phoenix is beautiful to me.

Looks to me like we're saying the same thing  wink 

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina