Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

avt007
Topic Author

When Will Reality Tv Die?

Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:31 pm

I have never liked these shows, largely because they are not "reality" in the first place, and they have one common thread- people fighting with each other. It's all about conflict, and I don't enjoy watching idiots squabble. But that's not the point of this thread.
Give it up, folks, all the "good" ideas are gone! They're down to doing shows about meter maids, for God's sake! Call it a day, give it a decent burial and move on.........

KPWM

RE: When Will Reality Tv Die?

Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:34 pm

Quoting Avt007 (Thread starter):

I hope very soon. I can't stand it either. Although I do like Survivor and Amazing Race. But that's it!

lobster

Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:39 pm

Writers strike=more reality TV.

aa61hvy

Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:40 pm

My guess is never. It is slightly voyeuristic and humans are always curious.
Go big or go home

USairways16BWI

Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:41 pm

never. The sad truth is that it will become worse, and more numerous  Sad

avt007
Topic Author

Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:49 pm

How can it become worse? Cubicle wars? "Watch next week, when Ted forgets to replace the toner cartridge! Will Mary complain to the boss, or take matters in her own hands? Must See TV, my @#$

USairways16BWI

Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:53 pm

Quoting Avt007 (Reply 5):
How can it become worse?

ha....ask the same thing in...say...1 year

AirTranTUS

Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:36 pm

Quoting KPWM (Reply 1):
Although I do like Survivor and Amazing Race.

Amazing Race yes, but I feel that Survivor has run its course. Though the Fans vs. Stars could be interesting.

Quoting Lobster (Reply 2):
Writers strike=more reality TV.

Absolutely, the networks need something new, and since reality TV is supposedly unscripted (haha...I doubt it), they don't have much choice.
I love ASO!

kmh1956

Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:17 am

More likely question should be "When will American Idol" die?
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

NeilYYZ

Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:22 am

Is the correct answer - Not soon enough?
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

DAL767400ER

Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:31 am

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 9):
Is the correct answer - Not soon enough?

Nah, the correct answer is "It shouldn't even have started in the first place"  Wink .

seb146

Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:03 am

"Reality shows" will die when something even more shocking and titilating comes on. Americans say they want to watch other people fight for money and prizes. Americans like to see "real people" in emotional (sometimes physical) pain. Pain can be seen by actors in a show like "Melrose Place" but I think the fact the people on shows like "Temptation Island" and "Survivor" are said to be "real" people (I have my doubts for a few of these shows) piques the curiosity of Americans.

For clarification: I say "Americans" because I don't know about German, Canadian, Russian, Japanese, Australian, etc. television watching habits, so I can not comment on those countries.

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 8):
More likely question should be "When will American Idol" die?

Not soon enough! I like the premise of "Amazing Race." NBC started a show like that, but I don't know what happened to it.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

AF340

Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:10 am

Quoting KPWM (Reply 1):
Although I do like Survivor and Amazing Race. But that's it!

Uhhh what about Celebrity Apprentice? It confirmed by original theory that Gene Simmons is a total meat-head.

Liam Wink

AirTranTUS

Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:21 am

Quoting AF340 (Reply 12):
Uhhh what about Celebrity Apprentice? It confirmed by original theory that Gene Simmons is a total meat-head.

I think that when the men's team loses, Piers will be fired. Why? He was fired in both Red Nose Day Apprentices. Amazing he has lasted this long on this version.
I love ASO!

LoneStarMike

Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:50 am

and they have one common thread- people fighting with each other. It's all about conflict,

When I was back in college in the late 1970's early 1980's, I took a three week course that studied movie and television shows and included a trip to LA. I don't remember hardly anything I learned, but I do remember the professor asking the class one day "What does almost every television show or movie have in common?"

The answer was that they basically all dealt with some sort of conflict. Even comedies. Think about it.

There's always some problem that needs to be solved.

Guy makes date with two girls on the same night. How does he keep one from finding out about the other?

I Love Lucy - Lucy gets in trouble - How is she going to keep Ricky from finding out?

Pilots on airliner get food poisoning. How are they going to land the plane?

Game shows - two or more people trying to win a prize competing with each other.

All in the Family - Archie Bunker vs. Meathead - they always had conflicting views.

Crime shows - Bad guy who commits crime vs. Cops who try to find enough evidence to convict him.

War movies - one country vs. another.

Movies that deal with race relations - one race vs. another.

Usually the whole point of the "show" is how are they going to resolve the conflict.

LoneStarMike

CaptOveur

Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:20 am

Quoting KPWM (Reply 1):
I hope very soon

COPS is largely credited as being the first reality TV show.. It has been on 20 years with no signs of dying.

I see crap like survivor dying off soon (wishful thinking) But I think some capacity of reality tv will live forever. Reality TV has to cost less to produce than a real show due to the lack of writers and lack of paid actors. I am sure the prizes cost much less than the salary of even an unknown actor.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

L-188

Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:27 am

I say this while doing by best Brando impression.

"While the writers are on strike, it'll be there."

"While Simon Cowell makes a profit, It'll be there"

"While Gordon Ramsey has a voice to yell with, It'll be there"

"When a producer runs out of original ideas, It'll will be there"

"When Fox needs new programing, It'll be there"
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

jafa39

Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:39 am

Dudes.....after seeing "America's Got Talent" I truly fear for the future of TV...what unutterable garbage!!!!
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

G5ive

Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:17 pm

I like some "reality shows" I enjoy The First 48, and Airline. As for the rest of these "reality" shows, they are all the same, someone is always trying to show off for the camera either with their "I tell it how it is attitude" or the "I'm the boss attitude"
I really hope they die out! Maybe we should even start up a website dedicated to the death of reality TV.
Do I sign here?

ltbewr

Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:56 pm

What bothers me most is the voyerism (as in 'Big Brother') and nasty tacts of some reality shows (especially 'Survivor') where they push the competitors have the worst possible beheavors. What I hate about these shows it the verbal abuse of other competitors for example, a husband screaming at a wife to run to the next checkpoint, even though the woman is about ready to drop dead. Even shows like Airline turned me off after a while due to the abuse some pax gave staff. Some shows have played up race and gender issues in ways that are disturbing. Some just seem to be so stupid and unconfortable to watch like the VH-1 celeberty led programs such as with Tila Tequelia and Flavor Fave, with their wierd sexual overtones.
One problem today is that we have 200+ entertainment channels available on TV today and a need to fill that time. That means more marginal programs get on. Still, programing goes in cycles, times change and who knows, maybe we will see a return of variety shows to TV (although American Idol comes close) and reality die.

avt007
Topic Author

Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:59 pm

I just don't get it when the show manufactures a false reality, for example, an artificial deadline, then I'm supposed to get excited about whether one team or another makes it?
A reality show is COPS, or something along those lines-follow a guy doing his job, don't interfere with it, and don't stage scenarios. Canada is running one now where they're following AIr Force pilots through their fighter training. It's in between a documentary and a reality show. That thing I like, where the situation exists and would play the same whether it was filmed or not. At least it's interesting. But meter maids? Why not ( and I'm predicting this will happen) Starbucks baristas?
A day in the life of the high pressure coffee world! I oughta sell this stuff to the networks.........
Survivor and Amazing Race are game shows. Outdoors, yes, but game shows nonetheless. Artificial scenarios concocted, rules made, and don't tell me it isn't scripted and manipulated. I don't believe for a minute that they set the rules and let them go for the whole season without making changes and twists along the way.
I can affect change the only way I have, by not watching. But it's hard to avoid the commercials for all this mindless drivel.

Dougloid

Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:01 pm

Not soon enough for me.

My idea of 'reality TV' is First 48.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

vaporlock

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:49 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 21):
Not soon enough for me.

Dougloid.....you took the words right out of my mouth!!!!

I hate Reality TV.....it sucks!!!

Vaporlock  bouncy 

steeler83

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:56 am

Quoting KPWM (Reply 1):
I do like Survivor and Amazing Race.

Those are the two biggest abominations ever spawned in pop culture! CBS should have never cancelled The Guardian, the ratings were not bad at all. I used to watch that show all the time until its premature termination. If they decide to put nothing but reality TV, I will cancel my cable subscription and buy DVDs...

There is only one reality show I do like, and it's Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. The entire community gets involved and builds a house for someone who is either very very sick, suffered a tragedy (house burned down, Katrina, other natural disasters) or someone who just deserves a better house, and it just brings out the best in everyone.

Oh, and throw in Big Brother, the Bachelor and Bachelorette, for Love or Money as well. These shows are absolute Dreck!
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

AC777LR

Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:36 am

The only one I like and I really like it is the Amazing Race. I think its a great show, if anyone can stay let that be it.
Member since April 2000

A332

Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:37 am

Hmmm... I think back to the late 80s/early 90s when my generation was subjected to the likes of Full House, Step by Step, etc.... and you go and complain about how bad our TV is now?!
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

steeler83

Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:52 am

Quoting A332 (Reply 25):
Full House, Step by Step, etc

Step by Step wasn't that bad of a show.

Full House, Roseanne? Is Nick at Nite trying to kill itself?
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.