Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Poor Jobs By Trade "professionals"

Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:00 am

So a couple of weeks ago I got an aftermarket remote installed. Thing worked a few days then died on me. Someone here advised me to check for a blown realy. Whaddaya know ? Fool had installed it WITHOUT any relays, rhaaaaaaaaaaa !

Have you ever had an experience in which a so-called "professional" of a trade (neds not to be auto-related) does a worse job then you would have done ?

UTA  checkeredflag 
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

kc135topboom

RE: Poor Jobs By Trade "professionals"

Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:38 am

Quoting UTA_flyinghigh (Thread starter):
Have you ever had an experience in which a so-called "professional" of a trade (neds not to be auto-related) does a worse job then you would have done ?

Do you mean like the "jobs" done by Hookers?

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:24 am

Errrrrrrrrrrmmmmm...not exactly  Silly

UTA  checkeredflag 
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

NeilYYZ

Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:52 am

Too bad about your remote.

I see mistakes by trades people all the time landscaping. I spent a week last summer ripping up a beautiful flagstone patio and re-doing it because the landscaper hadn't leveled out the area and it was on a slope towards the house. I've seen patio's and retaining walls collapse because of improper preparation work. It's unfortunate for people such as yourself, who are in the end, the ones getting screwed.

I work for a large landscape company (large in terms of landscape companies that is) and we're all required to be certified, however there are a lot of smaller companies who aren't certified which make mistakes.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

don81603

Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:29 pm

I had a so called "factory trained" technician do a full service on my truck once. Except he forgot to refill the oil pan. Thankfully I noticed it before starting the engine, or that could have run into tens of thousands of dollars, and who knows how many days of downtime waiting for the new engine. FYI, it costs about $500 a day for a highway truck to sit parked.

On a related note, my current truck went to the dealer for a cracked head on Jan 9, and is still there. In 17 days, they could have built a new truck!
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

AsstChiefMark

Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:49 pm

I can't believe how bad construction workmanship is in Texas compared to here in Wisconsin.

I was there for most of the past summer and got to tour several NEW homes. Poor moulding joints.. Loose electrical outlets. Visible sheetrock screws (no taping). Missing screws in railings and fixtures. Binding doors. Unlevel countertops. Mismatched paint batches. Crooked shingles. The list goes on and on.

And the people who owned them said, "That's how it's done down here. It's what you have to expect." When asked how they could accept the workmanship and why they didn't call the contractor, they replied, "It wouldn't get fixed any better."

When asked why they didn't inspect their homes while they were being built, most said, "The contractor wouldn't let us in until it was done." WTF???? My parents inspected their house at least once a week while it was being built. I inspected our EMS station remodelling every two days. If I'm paying for it or I'm responsible for it, then I'm going to inspect it!
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

srbmod

Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:54 pm

Quoting Don81603 (Reply 4):

Reminds me of the garage our company uses. The van our service tech uses was put in the shop there half a dozen times in a 2 month period for the same problem. My old work vehicle at one point a few years ago was in the shop almost monthly with one issue (Some sensor in the motor). I'd go pick it up and be about halfway back to the warehouse (which is about a 15 minute drive away) I'd get a check engine light come on. Take it back to them and they'd check the code and say nothing was wrong, clear the code and send me back on my way. I'd drive around for a few days and the light would then come back on.

This same garage is where we get our oil changed, and it's like pulling teeth to get it done. We have to call a day or two in advance to make an appointment and even with an appointment, that still doesn't mean they can do it at that time, so we have to call a few hours before the appointment to make sure they can still do it. If they can do it, it takes them 30-45 minutes to do it. I can change the oil myself in less time than that. The quickest they ever did it was 20 minutes, and that was with two of the mechanics doing it (They were waiting for parts for the other vehicles in the shop, so they jumped on the oil change fairly quickly). The other thing that gets me is that they never charge the same price on the oil change. Used the same amount of parts and materials every time, but one time they'll charge $38, the next $28, and the next time $32. It shouldn't bother me because I'm not the one paying the bill, but considering I could go to one of those quick oil change places for less than that (I've taken my current work vehicle to those type of places on a few occasions where it was not going to be possible to get an appointment at the garage and never paid more than $32 to have it changed.) and not have to jump through all of the hoops we have to go through with the garage we use (When our other route driver needs to have the oil changed in his truck, we have to call several days in advance because they have to special order the filter for his truck, and there's been times when they had not even ordered it and had 2-3 days to order it.).

The only reason why our company even uses this place is that they been using them for years, as the company for many years used to be located a few miles down the street from this garage. We drive past at least half a dozen similar garages on the way to this one.

GPIARFF

Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:45 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 5):

It depends on how the financing works. If your remodeling then your paying as you go and you have the right to inspect.
If you get the construction loan and then contract with a builder to build the home then you get to inspect. If the builder is building a spec home on his dime and you are only agreeing to find the financing and buy it when it's done then the home is the builders and they have every right to keep you off the site because it's their home. You don't get to go on site until they are ready but you have every right not to buy the home after the prepurchase inspection if the quality of the completed project doesn't come up to par. Many of the huge development builders do this because alot of people that say they want a home but can't get construction financing, only the final mortgage, don't actually buy the homes they are looking at. It also reduces the insurance costs to those builders because less risk of a bunch of non tradesman walking around a construction site falling in to holes and such. There is no excuse for poor quality workmanship, but if you plan on buying a home under construction and you want to have some control over the builder you have to put up the money first or it's not your home yet.
Pa chiye ladan dlo ou bwe ( don't crap in your drinking water )

EvilForce

Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:45 pm

I can't believe how bad construction workmanship is in Texas compared to here in Wisconsin.

You get what you pay for.

In Wisconsin and other upper midwestern, northeast, and northwestern states many trades people are union. As such they are accustomed to making $ 20, $ 30, and even $ 40 an hour when you factor in benefits. However, the unions also train these people and for most of the laborers it is a lifelong career so you have very experienced crews building homes an commercial buildings.

In Texas where these people are getting paid $ 8, $ 10 or $ 12 an hour.... well.... it is what it is. The market also is giving people what they want. Most people want sq footage at any cost. Why have hardwood floors if you can have carpet + 200 sq. ft. of extra space? Why have nice wood moldings, hand tiled showers, and brick/stone accented exteriors when you can have a 3rd garage stall?

If one buys a cookie cutter home, in far off plot of open land, built by cheap laborers....guess what? It'll be cheap.
I bought a Venus Fly Trap today and was going to name it "Republican" but the fly trap is beneficial to the environment.

AsstChiefMark

Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:52 pm

Quoting EvilForce (Reply 8):
In Texas where these people are getting paid $ 8, $ 10 or $ 12 an hour.... well.... it is what it is.

So personal pride means nothing to those guys?
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

EvilForce

Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:09 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 9):

I think you are expecting way too much. How many workers at McDonalds "take personal pride" in serving you your hamburger for $ 2.19?

Also, what would be considered "acceptable waste" in higher standard type building is too much of a premium in bargain basement construction. If you can save $ 115 per house in drywall materials, $ 30 per house in taping and mud materials, $ 50 in roof shingles, etc... and force the workmen to use what they normally might throw away.... you've made a statement as well. Cost above all else.

American's are cheap. Many American's couldn't tell a good quality constructed house if it bit them on the nose. And I've seen this exact thing in houses that $ 100,000 all the way up to $ 800,000.
I bought a Venus Fly Trap today and was going to name it "Republican" but the fly trap is beneficial to the environment.

VonRichtofen

Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:15 pm

I was there for most of the past summer and got to tour several NEW homes. Poor moulding joints.. Loose electrical outlets. Visible sheetrock screws (no taping). Missing screws in railings and fixtures. Binding doors. Unlevel countertops. Mismatched paint batches. Crooked shingles. The list goes on and on.

And the people who owned them said, "That's how it's done down here. It's what you have to expect." When asked how they could accept the workmanship and why they didn't call the contractor, they replied, "It wouldn't get fixed any better."

Cheap Mexican labour? I'm not diggin on Mexicans, but could it be contracters often hire unskilled illegals just to get the job done "good enough" for dirt cheap?

AsstChiefMark

Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:52 pm

What would happen if I brought a crew of 4 or 5 Wisconsin housing construction workers down to Texas to build a house? I'll bet the people who love to call themselves "Native Texans" (They're actually white and don't speak a lick of Spanish, but don't try to tell them they're not native...Whew!) would think they're getting the Kings of Construction... Pride, Ethics, and Hard Work.

mham001

Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:11 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 9):

He's being polite and not pointing out that they have a far higher proportion of unqualified illegals working the trades in Texas than in Wisc. You get what you pay for and the illegals have decimated the construction trades in several regions. There is a reason why jobs that paid $20/hr 20 years ago now pay $15/hr.
Now, to be fair, the contractor giving them the work is just as guilty and should be put in jail himself, imo. Most of the illegal windfall will go into his pocket while the hapless homebuyer gets stuck with a sh*t house.

EvilForce

Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:16 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 12):
What would happen if I brought a crew of 4 or 5 Wisconsin housing construction workers down to Texas to build a house? I'll bet the people who love to call themselves "Native Texans" (They're actually white and don't speak a lick of Spanish, but don't try to tell them they're not native...Whew!) would think they're getting the Kings of Construction... Pride, Ethics, and Hard Work.

Sounds like you have a business plan. If the market values quality then you'll make a mint. If not, you'll be out of business. If there is a need, I'm sure someone can/will fill it.