Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Queso

RE: Good Concealed Carry Weapon

Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:24 pm

Quoting PWM2TXLHopper (Reply 98):
The guy teaching it was ex-marine, 30+ year law enforcement officer, both federal and state, and we spent twenty minutes going over federal laws.

I've seen a lot of instructors who make their own interpretations of situations into fact (not saying for sure that's what is happening in this case). Fortunately, of all the examples I have seen, the instructors erred on the side of caution and restriction.

I have a long unanswered question from some students that seems to have taken on something close to "urban legend" status. Some people apparently believe it is not legal to carry a firearm in a commercial truck, but I have never seen any law, Federal or State of Texas, that verifies that "myth". It's easy to verify something is illegal when it is spelled out in the law but it is very difficult to verify something is permissible when you are trying to overcome objections by someone who is strong-willed.

CaptOveur

Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:01 pm

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 95):
My Ohio CCW is good in Florida as well as some other states.

My dad just got his Ohio CCL and they told him to carry in Florida he needs to fill out the Florida paperwork and submit it. Which they recommended doing because Florida has reciprocity with more states than Ohio.

CALTECH

Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:37 am

Now I'm in a better thread. I like my E.A.A. 9mm Witness for my personal concealed carry. My Beretta .25 is so small, it is unnoticeable. My Witness and Beretta have never jammed on me, well made firearms. Just bought the Mrs. a Glock 19 she wanted, she is now getting her concealed carry.

Queso

Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:38 pm

Quoting CALTECH (Reply 102):
My Beretta .25 is so small, it is unnoticeable.

.25 is less effective than .22LR though. And for the same size and less weight, I carry a KelTec P3AT in .380 when I need a mousegun. They even make necklace holsters for them!

pwm2txlhopper

Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:29 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 103):

Quoting CALTECH (Reply 102):
My Beretta .25 is so small, it is unnoticeable.

If you're forced to use that on somebody else who's armed, I think you're more likely to seriously just piss off the assailant and maybe even get shot yourself! I wouldn't recommend anything smaller then 9mm or .38 Spl for self defense unless you wanted a backup sidearm. Even with those calibers, there are still plenty of instances of attackers being shot numerous times who fail to go down right away. That's all the time they need to finish you off as well! I'd recommend .40, .45ACP, and .357 Mag or .357 Sig for your best choice to immobilize a threat fast! There's .44 Mag of course, but this is a bit big for CCL... A bit too much recoil and enough power and bullet mass to increase the likelihood of over penetration and hitting somebody else. Also too heavy as well.

I'd almost rather rely on my fists than a .25! Or even a .22! Not that those are much better, and even smaller actually! However, there's higher velocity with a .22, and in turn more energy exerted into a target than with a .25. For either though, your shot placement needs to be near perfect to be effective. Also, the .25's are notorious for jamming when expelling cases due to the low pressures produced from a round fired.

[Edited 2008-02-06 21:44:01]

[Edited 2008-02-06 21:47:24]

miamiair

Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:49 pm

Quoting PWM2TXLHopper (Reply 104):
Or even a .22

There are several .22LR pistols that aren't bad, and if all else fails, it is better than nothing. Walther's P-22 is such a pistol. I have one which is a pretty neat gun.

airfoilsguy

Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:49 pm

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 22):

I think more people should consider this. I ran 100 rounds through an FN 5-7 and was in love after about the third round. The best comparison for recoil is a BB gun. Also, it gives you 22 chances to hit something instead of 12-16. I shot very well with this gun as would just about anyone who could get past the incredible amount of noise it makes.

My only gripe was I did have some feed issues with the one I fired.

Guess what I bought over the week end. I will post a pic after I get off work.  Smile

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 88):
This is a place near DAY (actually just outside the fence from the airport) that rents an FN 5-7 along with anything XD, most Glocks, a S&W .500 revolver, and just about anything else you want. They will have a rifle range open soon and they already have a semi-auto Barret .50 they are going to rent.

The place where I bought my FN had a Barret 50, DAMN that thing is heavy, also a bit pricy at $10,000

miamiair

Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:54 pm

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 106):
The place where I bought my FN had a Barret 50, DAMN that thing is heavy, also a bit pricy at $10,000

That is pricy. $8200.00 with a scope that will handle the shake, ratlle and roll...

So whadya get?

airfoilsguy

Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:33 pm

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 107):
So whadya get?

The FN 5-7

miamiair

Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:57 pm

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 108):
The FN 5-7

Congrats...

Enjoy.

Pope

Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:20 pm

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 108):
The FN 5-7

I know very little about the 5-7 but from what I've read, aren't you worried about over penetration? It seems that the bullet is very fast and it retains shap upon impact.

airfoilsguy

Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:05 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 110):
I know very little about the 5-7 but from what I've read, aren't you worried about over penetration? It seems that the bullet is very fast and it retains shap upon impact.

Not for what I am going to use it for. It won't be my self defense weapon, I have a Ruger and a Para for that. I am going to use it for target shooting.

lobster
Topic Author

Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:03 pm

Well, I've made my mind up that I'm getting a Springfield Armory XD, either a 40 or 45. I'm heading to the store tomorrow and will go with whichever one fits my hand best. Both are sub-compact models, the .40SW has is 12+1 clip and the .45 is 13+1. The dealer I found seems to have a pretty good price compared to others I've seen. Now I just have to wait 7 days for the Minnesota permit. I was also thinking of picking up a new .22 rifle when I'm down there to have a good squirrel gun. Thanks to all who chimed in for this thread!

CaptOveur

Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:40 pm

Quoting Lobster (Reply 112):
I was also thinking of picking up a new .22 rifle when I'm down there to have a good squirrel gun.

If you are set on .22LR I suggest the Ruger 10/22 It is one of my favorites.

However, for varmit hunting look into something in .17 caliber. It is much higher velocity.

miamiair

Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:45 pm

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 113):
If you are set on .22LR I suggest the Ruger 10/22 It is one of my favorites.

Great gun, and you can't beat it for the price. I just gave one to my Godson for Christmas. $210.00.

If you want something neat, try the Walther G-22. I got one for my son and it is a blast to shoot.

Quoting Lobster (Reply 112):
I'm getting a Springfield Armory XD

Good choice. My wife carries the XD9 Sub-Compact. She carries hers with the 10 rd magazine. More concealable that way. I have one as back up too.

BCAInfoSys

Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:36 pm

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 114):
If you want something neat, try the Walther G-22. I got one for my son and it is a blast to shoot.

I had one for a while and found myself rather unimpressed with it. It is very picky with ammo and how well it feeds, it's relatively difficult to switch from right to left handed configurations (if you want to use it with friends), and the ejection port is far enough back that I found the charging handle bonking my nose and the smoke from the ejection port fogged up my glasses in no time flat.

If I was to get another .22, I would get the Ruger.  twocents 

airfoilsguy

Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:03 pm

Try a Sig Trailside if you can find one. I love mine.