Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Friday's Stupid Thread - Scrape Ice On Windshield

Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:48 am

So how do you scrape the ice on your windshield ?

Do you use :
1) an ice scraper
2) your credit card
3) your frequent flier card
4) hot water
5) nothing, you don't have ice where you live
6) other

I use #5

You ?

UTA  checkeredflag 
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

ACDC8

RE: Friday's Stupid Thread - Scrape Ice On Windshield

Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:52 am

Ice scrapper for me. This year hasn't been too cold, so I've only had to use it maybe half a dozen times so far. However, the snowbrush on the other end of the scrapper has been working overtime this year. Really nice brush too, the bristle tips are extra soft so they don't scratch the paint.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

checkraiser

Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:55 am

This really is a stupid thread.  Smile I use an ice scraper.

It's also obvious you don't have ice because the second most used option isn't there; run windshield washer until the ice turns blue and melts off.
N1120A is a camel-fucking terrorist.

fxramper

Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:01 am

Quoting Checkraiser (Reply 2):
run windshield washer until the ice turns blue and melts off.

If it's cold enough for ice on the windshield, I'm guessing the washer fluid is frozen also.

Yeah sure

luv2cattlecall

Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:08 am

Quoting FXramper (Reply 3):

If it's cold enough for ice on the windshield, I'm guessing the washer fluid is frozen also.

Not the rain-x brand wiper fluid...best stuff in the world! The summer versions have stuff to dissolve bugs better, and the winter versions have a de-icer built into them. Only about $1 more a gallon, well worth it.

Saw a guy try to use hot coffee or water or something on his windshield at CID; ended up letting him use my cell to call his insurance company since the windshield cracked.

ACDC8

Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:14 am

You do realize that most winshield washer fluids won't freeze until at least -40, don't you?

It's also obvious you don't have ice because the second most used option isn't there; run windshield washer until the ice turns blue and melts off.

And tear the hell out of your wiper blades at the same time ... Big grin. Mind you, we all do it Big grin

Confuscius

Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:18 am

Quoting UTA_flyinghigh (Thread starter):
So how do you scrape the ice on your windshield ?

With this guy. (Note: don't have a winter pic)
Ain't I a stinker?

checkraiser

Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:25 am

rotfl 

SIlly Texan. The cheap stuff usually freezes around 0 F. You can buy premium stuff that's good to
-35 F.
N1120A is a camel-fucking terrorist.

Fiatstilojtd

RE: Friday's Stupid Thread - Scrape Ice On Windshi

Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:37 am

...here in Austria you can buy stuff that, if you do not mix it with water, does not freeze until -70 C°

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 5):

And tear the hell out of your wiper blades at the same time ... Big grin. Mind you, we all do it Big grin

Not only the wiper blades, but also the little motor that move the wiper blades.  Wink

[Edited 2008-02-01 01:40:03]

Analog

RE: Friday's Stupid Thread - Scrape Ice On Windshi

Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:56 am

rotfl 

The first time I tried to buy washer fluid in TX they tried to sell me these tablet thingies. I was like, WTF? Where's the methanol?

It's actually annoying if you want to get the good stuff in a warm climate. When I was in the NE US (MD, NY) I wanted to get -40 C or F  Smile fluid, but couldn't, only -20F was available. That's not good if you're planning on driving into weather approaching that temperature (Quebec).

airfoilsguy

Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:31 am

Non of the above. I just open my side window and stick my head out to drive.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

NeilYYZ

Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:37 am

I normally let whatever vehicle I'm driving whether it be my parents or one of the trucks at work warm up long enough for it to melt off. But if I'm in a rush I'll use an ice scraper.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

matt727

Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:17 am

I use an ice scraper when needed.

ORFflyer

Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:30 am

Ice scrapper. Only once this year so far..... must be global warming.  duck   Wink

RJdxer

Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:47 am

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 13):
Ice scrapper.

What the hell is an Ice scrapper? How much for a ton of scrap ice do you get?  laughing  Or do you mean ice scraper?

I hope you are never in charge of deicing the plane I'm on!

We still have our ice scrapers and snow brushes from up north. The next door neighbor never fails to be amazed at them for some reason.

But seriously I once had a girlfriend when I lived in Ohio who filled up her windshield wiper reservoir with plain water in January. Popped the thing right along its seams! I also got stupid when I was in the service. Bought a car in Florida, never bothered to check the anti-freeze, then one chilly morning at Fort Benning I came out to find the freeze plugs blown out! Had to wait 3 days for the thing to thaw!
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

bill142

Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:54 am

I have a garage. If it freezes over, it's gotta be darn cold.

signol

Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:00 pm

I use a scraper.

It's also obvious you don't have ice because the second most used option isn't there;

I'd say the most used option isn't there either - a can of de-icer. I prefer not to use chemicals when elbow grease does the job equally well, but I lent my car to my sister for 2 weeks over Christmas and found 2 half cans of the stuff in the car.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

BNE

Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:07 pm

5) nothing, you don't have ice where you live

What is this ice you speak off; even if I took some out of the freezer it would melt by the time I got it to the car windscreen.
Why fly non stop when you can connect

bill142

Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:10 pm

Quoting BNE (Reply 17):

Come live in Canberra and park your car outside on a cold July night. Then go for a drive that morning and count how many fools have just scrapped just enough Ice away so they can just see out the window.

ORFflyer

Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:13 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 14):
What the hell is an Ice scrapper? How much for a ton of scrap ice do you get?    Or do you mean ice scraper?

Oops.  Big grin

LHRjc

Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:50 pm

I just use the heated windscreen. If it's that thick, i'll use some de-icer first.
"Our 319's are very reliable. They get fixed very quickly."

Fiatstilojtd

Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:06 pm

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 10):

Signed

Ace Ventura

FlyDeltaJets87

Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:14 pm

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 10):

Why even do that? Leave the windows up and don't clean the ice off of the windshield iced and then say "I'm practicing my Instrument Driving" if anyone asks.  wink 

Okay, minus from mid-December to mid-January between semesters when I'm in North Carolina, I don't really have to worry about the ice where I live. We don't get much ice down here in Florida.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

fxramper

Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:23 pm

Quoting Checkraiser (Reply 7):
You can buy premium stuff that's good to
-35 F.

I live in Texas - I rest my case (no one buys the 'good' stuff here).  rotfl 

I speak only from experience - I have gone outside to fire up the M car and tried using wiper fluid to aid melting ice and it's not worked well.  no 

ronglimeng

Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:28 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 18):
Come live in Canberra and park your car outside on a cold July night. Then go for a drive that morning and count how many fools have just scrapped just enough Ice away so they can just see out the window.

This has been a learning experience for me! I never figured anybody in Australia would have to scrape frost off his windshield.

searpqx

Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:31 pm

Quoting Luv2cattlecall (Reply 4):
Saw a guy try to use hot coffee or water or something on his windshield at CID; ended up letting him use my cell to call his insurance company since the windshield cracked.

ANC can back me up on this one - in the early days of the Alaska Pipeline building boom, the first serious freeze/snow of the year inevitably resulted in a rash of windshield claims, as the multitudes of folks from down south would bring out steaming bowls/buckets of water to throw on their windshields (my favorites were the -20 days).

We get about six mornings a year where I have to scrape ice, and every year, as I'm using either my Costco card or my QFC Advantage (loyalty) card, I cuss because in the previous 364 days of the year I forgot to go buy that ice scraper I swore I was going to buy last winter.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

Analog

Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:29 pm

Quoting FXramper (Reply 23):
I live in Texas - I rest my case (no one buys the 'good' stuff here). rotfl

Texas is a big place. Some parts actually get snow every year.  Smile

skywatch

Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:58 pm

I don't have to worry about ice too much here....I live in Central Texas. But, when it does ice over, I usually just breath heavily on the driver's side of the windshield, then run the wipers with fluid. Works like a charm!

---Skywatch
------Forever Watchin' The Sky------

sv2008

Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:06 pm

My car has heated front screen, so no ice scraping. All cars should have this, it's great - from frozen to clear in 30 seconds, much better, and stops the ice reforming right after you cleared it on really cold days.

IFEMaster

Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:11 pm

I haven't had to scrape ice for 6 years or so, but when I did, I would use an open CD case or cassette case. Really good scrapers.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

fritzi

Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:17 pm

http://www.gosmelltheflowers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/geneva.jpg

I use option 6, wait for spring

MD11Engineer

Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:20 pm

run windshield washer until the ice turns blue and melts off.

Yeah sure

Quoting Checkraiser (Reply 7):

rotfl

SIlly Texan. The cheap stuff usually freezes around 0 F. You can buy premium stuff that's good to
-35 F.

Quoting Analog (Reply 9):

The first time I tried to buy washer fluid in TX they tried to sell me these tablet thingies. I was like, WTF? Where's the methanol?

It's actually annoying if you want to get the good stuff in a warm climate. When I was in the NE US (MD, NY) I wanted to get -40 C or F Smile fluid, but couldn't, only -20F was available. That's not good if you're planning on driving into weather approaching that temperature (Quebec).

Or you can mix your own, distilled water, methylated spirits and dish washing fluid.

Once, during my apprenticeship, I was caught at work by freezing rain, which covered all cars and the parking lot with a millimeter thick layer of ice (it was like walking on an ice skating ring). The usualy plastic scraper I have in my car was not enough, I had to return to the hangar to manufacture a scraper made out of scrap aluminium to get my windscreen clear.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

sv2008

Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:23 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 31):
dish washing fluid.

Not a good idea, detergents can damage the paint. No idea about methylated spirits but i wouldn't try it on my own car!

ACDC8

Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:02 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 31):
Or you can mix your own, distilled water, methylated spirits and dish washing fluid.

That's another interesting point. Most of the winshield washer fluids I used when I lived in Germany were small bottles of concentrate which you added to water. In Canada (I'm assuming the US as well) most washer fluids are sold in 4L jugs that is added straight to your car, no mixing and no adding water.

CanadianNorth

Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:48 am

Pretty much any vehicles with windshields that I've driven in the winter other than snowmobiles have had an ice scraper of some kind under the backseat or something.
My experience is it takes 2 minutes and works reasonably well. Plus it's something to do while yer giving the car/van/whatever a couple minutes to get somewhat warmed up before driving it.

But then again, when you come from a place where it's winter (real winter as in well below 0c and snow on the ground that actually stays around for the entire season) from the end of october straight through till about april or may, ice scrapers and whatnot tend to be a rather good investment, and you get pretty good at using them...

CanadianNorth
HS-748, like a 747 but better!

Fly747

Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:56 am

I haven't scraped for a while. Not that it's not cold, I just refuse. I just let the car run and warm up. Gas is still relatively cheap here.

Ivan

KaiGywer

Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:56 am

Do you use :
1) an ice scraper

If I'm in a hurry

6) other

If I have time:

1. Turn ignition key 2. Go back inside 3. Go back out 15 minutes later

Quoting Fritzi (Reply 30):
I use option 6, wait for spring

Ouch! That's a lot of ice
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

stasisLAX

Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:48 am

No icing issues here in Los Angeles - just the usual smog alerts and the occasional acid rain showers  crazy 
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

Stealthz

Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:03 am

Not much issue with icing here in Sydney(a little bit in the Western subs).When in an area where it is likely an issue, rather than get low temp washer fluid(likely no one would know what I was asking for in any case), if in a place where Icing was likely I have used cling wrap, lay a sheet across the glass, peel off in the morning.

Cheers

PS this works great for bugs & crap as well, lay some down across the leading surfaces and just peel off later!
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!....well that might have changed!!!

trident3

Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:40 am

I usually favour my Tesco Club card, although i found out recently that the plastic holder for my work id card is quite good as well.
"We are the warrior race-Tough men in the toughest sport." Brian Noble, Head Coach, Great Britain Rugby League.

BR715-A1-30

Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:53 pm

I agree with the Rain-X.. However, sometimes, I run to the car wash, and spray Hot Wax (mixed with water) on my car... defrosts it in a hurry, then I spray it with regular water, apply another small coat of mixed wax, and then spot-free rinse it... It works wonders, as the waxed part, rarely re-freezes as I drive. It usually beads off and presto.
Puhdiddle

AverageUser

Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:30 pm

Quoting Sv2008 (Reply 32):
Not a good idea, detergents can damage the paint. No idea about methylated spirits but i wouldn't try it on my own car!

I don't think detergents do anything at all to your car. People take their cars to the car wash, for instance.

Methylated spirits is ok. We have about 1 000 000 cars in my country that use it, and to my knowledge it's fine. We used to have denaturated ethanol only on sale (because some people would drink anything, and I'm not kidding you). The came the EU free trade regulations that allowed methanol, and since methanol is cheaper it took over the market.

LTU932

Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:59 pm

Here in Costa Rica, it's 5, but in Germany, it was 1, we used an ice scraper.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

Fiatstilojtd

Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:07 pm

When there are icy/snowy conditions I love the Ford Windscreen heating with the thin wires, but during dusk/dawn, especially when you wear glasses/lenses, they can be a pain in the a**.

AF340

Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:19 pm

We've gotten pretty good use out of it this year...

Ice scrapper. The squeegee part also works on partly melted ice.

Liam spin