Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ScarletHarlot

RE: Ugliest Building In The World?

Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:16 pm

Quoting Max999 (Reply 74):
Boston City Hall

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/11/BostonCityhall.jpg/800px-BostonCityhall.jpg

That really reminds me of the Math Building at the University of Waterloo, where I went to school.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0e/WaterlooMathBuilding.jpg/800px-WaterlooMathBuilding.jpg
But that was when I ruled the world

Pyrex

Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:13 pm

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 100):
That really reminds me of the Math Building at the University of Waterloo, where I went to school.

Funny enough when you're near the building (Boston City Hall) it doesn't look that bad, as it is quite difficult to see it in isolation as the pictures show. With skyscrapers all around, the Holocaust memorial to one side, Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market to the other and near the Old State House (?) it creates a rather strange but not totally unattractive mix of buildings. Anyway, I heard there are plans for a new Town Hall near the Waterfront, will be interesting to see if they manage to find some other use for that building.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

AA777

Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:05 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 78):

I agree completely. Madison Square Gardens is a Heinous building in New York... every time I see it, all I can think is "ew"

-AA777

HickoryShampoo

Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:35 pm

Odd that this thread was posted. I just PS'ed a photo of a fugly North Korean ediface for the "official" and "ultimate" thread people.

That's supposed to be the North Korean Worker's Party building, IIRC.
This place is cashed, so I'm out. Someone PM me when A.net comes back.

c172akula

Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:14 pm

Quoting WrenchBender (Reply 68):
nominate the new Alberta Children's Hospital in Calgary

I couldn't disagree more, that hospital was designed to help put children at ease with the fact that they are going to the hospital. I believe a lot of design consultation was done with children for that very reason.

Even if that wasn't the case I think Calgary needs to have more buildings like this, ones that are bold and break out of our incredibly dull designs. We need more buildings like this, and less earth coloured boxes. Thankfully we are making progress with projects like The Bow, Arriva, and a few others I can't openly discuss.

WrenchBender

Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:53 pm

Quoting C172Akula (Reply 104):
Thankfully we are making progress with projects like The Bow, Arriva,

I agree, I like some of the new designs, but that Lego reject is irritating (to me), I would like to see more done to revive some of the more historic buildings in the city rather than tear them down, or work within the framework of existing structures and create something new. Such as this http://www.deltahotels.com/hotels/hotels.php?hotelId=12
The London Armouries. The same could be done to Mewata in Calgary, but then they would HAVE to do something to dress up the Telus Science Centre.

WrenchBender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

FriendlySkies

Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:05 pm

An eyesore on Atlanta's otherwise decent skyline...

halls120

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:37 am

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 100):
Quoting Max999 (Reply 74):
Boston City Hall

Jeez. That may indeed be uglier than the FBI building.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

AF340

Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:07 am

How about these apartment buildings in Prague?

http://i31.tinypic.com/hv4294.jpg

Liam spin 

Superfly

Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:31 am

Braybuddy:
(reply #84)
NICE!  Cool
Those are some awesome pictures!  yes 
I'd do anything to be able to experience San Francisco in the late 1970s.
That car you are sitting on is a 1977-1978 Lincoln Continental with an aftermarket 'Superfly' appearance package.

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 84):
a truly awful 1960s lump which completely destroys the skyline of Dublin. Thankfully it's going to be demolished soon.

Sorry to hear about that. I find that building to be very attractive.
Those damn architectual snobs seem to hate everything from the 1960s.

Quoting Flighty (Reply 99):
that row of skyscrapers in DXB contains some gems actually.

You call them gems, I call them turds.
Bring back the Concorde

Braybuddy

Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:14 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 109):
I'd do anything to be able to experience San Francisco in the late 1970s.

Like they say about the '60s, I suppose if you can remember San Fran from the '70s you didn't really experience it . .

Quoting Superfly (Reply 109):
Sorry to hear about that. I find that building to be very attractive.
Those damn architectual snobs seem to hate everything from the 1960s.

It wouldn't be so bad if it was built elsewhere. There's been a debate on its architectural merits and it has has some supporters, but the general feeling that it shouldn't have been put where it was. I do like SOME 1960s buildings, but unfortunately a lot of them were constructed cheaply and have not stood the test of time.

fritzi

Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:01 am

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c6/2_Columbus_Circle.jpg

Two Columbus Circle in NYC looks like a hideous bunker.

AF340

Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:53 pm

Quoting Fritzi (Reply 111):

crazy 

Liam spin 

slider

Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:20 pm

Quoting AF340 (Reply 97):
This is the old Bata Shoes International office near my house.

Funny, that thing resembles the Eero Saarinen designed Milwaukee War Memorial building. I never cared for it myself, but am elated about the adjacent expansion of the Milw. Art Museum that Santiago Calatrava designed...one of the most beautiful in my book.

http://www.bluffton.edu/~sullivanm/wisconsin/milwaukee/saarinen/distantfrmnw.jpg

But for ugly, not much can compare to the re-designed and expanded Soldier Field in Chicago.

The appearance of this odd-angled new age renovation is at odds with the original colonnaded structure. I appreciate trying to meld old and new, but it’s as if a UFO crashed into the old Soldier Field. Plus, the Bears still suck! So I have to hate it, haha!

aloges

Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:09 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 113):
the Eero Saarinen designed Milwaukee War Memorial building

Mmmmmhhh... that is goooood! Big grin

Quoting Slider (Reply 113):
the Milw. Art Museum that Santiago Calatrava designed

Is that the bird wing thing? If so, it's one of the buildings that helped put one huge book on Calatrava's buildings on my wishlist. Good choice... so what made you post it here?  Silly
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

CaptOveur

Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:23 pm

Wasn't that in Men In Black?

I am kind of wondering how the people who work there can deal with not having any windows.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

PlymSpotter

Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:06 am

Quoting WrenchBender (Reply 68):
I nominate the new Alberta Children's Hospital in Calgary

looks like a fight between Lego and Mega Blocks

Looks brilliant to me! What would a young and frightened child, faced with a visit for surgery/treatment which he doesn't understand rather view as a hospital? An austere and formal structure which looms in a threatening manor, or a relaxed and colorful building who's very essence, as you pointed out, seems to instigate playfulness?

That looks strikingly similar to the London Bridge Tower, designed by Renzo Piano, which is (now?) being constructed and will overtake the Eiffel Tower to become Europe's tallest building. It's pretty amazing I think, that it has not been beaten in almost 120 years! (not including communications masts etc...)

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

allstarflyer

Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:17 am

If this was a game, would I win by saying the world's worst building is located at 1333 Second Street Santa Monica, CA 90401? I'll take at least 2 points for that one.  biggrin   boggled 
Living the American Dream

AFKLMLHLX

Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:48 am

Big version: Width: 800 Height: 600 File size: 70kb

Um...this might take the cake on this one. This building houses the parliment of Bangladesh.

kaitak

Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:20 pm

My personal choice has to be the offices of the Department of Health in Dublin; it's only blessing is that it's surrounded on most sides by other buildings, but it's just hideous - a real 1960s office block: green cladding, not particularly well looked after, dirty windows, wires and AC units protruding from various parts; ugh!

Thankfully, it's likely to be torn down at some stage in the near future, along with another blot on Dublin's landscape, Liberty Hall. Not quite as ugly as the DoH, but as the tallest building in Dublin, not something to be proud of at all.

Toast

Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:38 pm

a truly awful 1960s lump which completely destroys the skyline of Dublin. Thankfully it's going to be demolished soon.

Thank God! I can't stand that building!

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 119):
the offices of the Department of Health in Dublin

Actually, I'm sorry to say that Dublin is in my book one of the ugliest capitals in Western Europe. There are a few nice Greek Revival buildings and some Art Deco on O'Connell Street, but the city as a whole is in a state of complete architectural chaos. I saw a gas station next to a church, acres of empty plots full of weeds next to lovingly restored palaces, atrocious concrete bunkers in totally inappropriate places, like Trinity College.

In fact, I rank Dublin as the second ugliest capital in Europe after Warsaw. I just hope the hordes of Poles in Ireland will have better luck rebuilding Dublin.  stirthepot   flamed 

On the other hand, Dublin has probably the most gorgeous and well-maintained public parks I've seen anywhere. And the people are fantastic. And there's that Guinness brewery. That more than makes up for the otherwise unattractive city.  Smile

duck 
Shit Piss Fuck Cunt Cocksucker Motherfucker Tits

GerbenYYZ

Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:52 pm

The "Evoluon" conference centre in Eindhoven, The Netherlands...

Not so much ugly as unique!

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/1998280.jpg

[Edited 2008-02-07 12:59:29]

steeler83

Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:26 pm

I take it this is opposite Time Warner Center, or Adjacent to it?

If it's adjacent to it, I wonder why they didn't tear it down to make way for Time Warner Center. It would have been a huge improvement!  Wink
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

EIPremier

Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:08 am

Ugliest building I've seen---old Prague Parliament building from the communist era.
Now house Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (or at least it did as of my visit in Nov 2005). Had massive security barriers all around it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/traui/141551339/sizes/m/ (not my photo)

Other votes for ugliest are pretty much anything designed by Frank Gehry. The only one I really did like was the "Fred and Ginger" Gehry building (also) in Prague with it's warped cylindrical geometry. The "space age" Zizkov TV tower I actually kind of liked, especially with the crawling babies. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%BDi%C5%BEkov_Television_Tower

[Edited 2008-02-07 22:19:08]

slider

Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:29 pm

Quoting Aloges (Reply 114):
Is that the bird wing thing? If so, it's one of the buildings that helped put one huge book on Calatrava's buildings on my wishlist. Good choice... so what made you post it here?

Well, to clarify, the NEW MKE Art Museum is the Calatrava design, with the movable wings (brise soleis) and it is absolutely a stunning landmark to help usher in the 21st Century in MKE.

It was Calatrava's first work in the US and is just a magnificent lakefront piece.

But the boxy thing in the picture that was the War Memorial (slash Art Museum phase 1, and they are connected, weirdly enough) was the Saarinen design and I'm not keen on that at all. Just thought it was boxy and lacked any pizzazz.

I love the former but dislike the latter, older structure. Just because it's a Saarinen design doesn't make it worthy of blind praise as far as I'm concerned.

And it's so odd because so many of his other works were far more curvaceous or at least fluid in appearance...the magnifcent JFK TWA Terminal 5, the Gateway Arch in STL, and then this boxy ugly thang in MKE.

aloges

Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:29 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 124):
Well, to clarify

Thanks, I was only jokingly referring to the fact that you brought a great piece of art such as the Calatrava building here.  Wink

It was Calatrava's first work in the US and is just a magnificent lakefront piece.

I've only seen a few pictures of it, but even so I agree. There's something about that man's work that I admire. It's as though he looks at the task he's got, finds out what nobody would expect, adds a bit of lunacy to it and hey presto, let's build it.

the Saarinen design and I'm not keen on that at all.

I've got to admit that I like it. Then again, I liked the Twin Towers because they were so fantastically calm, others called them boring. But yes, Saarinen did come up with much better buildings like the ones you mentioned or also the terminal at IAD.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

slider

Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:19 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 125):
There's something about that man's work that I admire.

I concur...his melding of architecture with engineering is really magnificent. He is gifted. What makes the MAM structure so much more compelling is that the centerline of he wings is aligned with the middle of Wisconsin Avenue, running through downtown. There is a symmetry and precision, just a natural beauty in it in how it meets the lakefront that is really placid and calming.

Quoting Aloges (Reply 125):
I've got to admit that I like it.

I don't HATE it per se, it actaully is reminiscent of some Frank Lloyd Wright stuff to me. But especially when viewed from the water, this chunky building juxtaposed against the rest of the buildings along the lakefront and downtown just doesn't jive well.

But architecturally, and I'm no expert by any means, I'm glad the city took a risk instead of going with some recreation of an earlier building (311 Wisconsin) ot sticking with something ultra-traditional in the Flemish or German style.

sr117

Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:26 am

This one would certainly have to rank up amongst them... The lovely Habitat 67 in Montreal, brutalist architecture at it's finest !

It looks like a pile of stacked garbage. I had the displeasure of seeing from afar and while I am sure the spaces that are created by such a design are interesting, aesthetically speaking it leaves much to be desired.

[Edited 2008-02-09 18:37:57]

fanofjets

Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:03 am

James Howard Kunstler has an informative and entertaining social commentary blog, of which his "Eyesore of the Month" deserves particular note:

http://www.kunstler.com/eyesore.html

You will find many architectural gems here! (Advance note: Fans of the Airbus A380 - this plane mad "Eyesore of the Month" a few years ago.)

Somehow, the Torre Bicentenario, a 985-foot-tall 85-story monstrosity that will (literally!) overshadow Mexico City's historic Chapultepec Park, has not yet made it on the Eyesore blog. See it here...

http://www.arquibio.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/b5135485.jpg

...if you dare.  yuck 
The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Superfly

Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:08 am

Quoting SR117 (Reply 127):
The lovely Habitat 67 in Montreal

That is one of my favorite buildings in the world!  Cool
Bring back the Concorde