Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Transpac787
Topic Author

Self Gloss: Got My Instrument Rating!

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:48 am

Well, after about 2 weeks of trying to get my checkride done on a day with good weather and light winds, I finally got my instrument rating today!!!

The flight itself was pretty nerve-racking, as the examiner really gave NO feedback whatsoever during the entire flight. But, I got it done.....and I'm now instrument rated!!! As far as my landings went....I got one from each "end of the spectrum". My first was just about the smoothest I've ever done. My second (and final) was about the worst I've ever done.... side-loading the living hell out of the poor plane. But, Cessnas are built like tanks to stand up to the likes of shitty pilots like me, so it's all good!! Big grin

So, bring 'forth all ye' forum pics!!

A346Dude

RE: Self Gloss: Got My Instrument Rating!

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:57 am

Congrats.

What were the ceilings? Do you have to do the instrument checkride in actual IFR conditions?
You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

futureualpilot

Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:10 am

Quoting A346Dude (Reply 1):
Do you have to do the instrument checkride in actual IFR conditions?

Not in actual IMC, but you are under the hood for most of the ride.

Transpac, congrats on the instrument rating! I hope you enjoy flying in the clouds as much as I do. Whats next for you?
Life is better when you surf.

GuitrThree

Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:19 am

Quoting FutureUALpilot (Reply 2):
but you are under the hood for most of the ride.

You might want to explain that further, because some might think it gets hot up there next to the engine and all...

Quoting FutureUALpilot (Reply 2):
I hope you enjoy flying in the clouds as much as I do.

You might want to change your tag line of "Clear Skies" then!  biggrin 

Congrats Transpac, I'd love to get my instrument, but I don't have the time and don't want to spend the money to keep current as I don't plan on taking my license any where past private...
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

vaporlock

Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:33 am

Quoting Transpac787 (Thread starter):
So, bring 'forth all ye' forum pics!!

Congratulations!!! What an accomplishment!!!

Vaporlock  bouncy 

fxramper

Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:43 am

Quoting Transpac787 (Thread starter):
examiner really gave NO feedback

Matt, they never do. How did you handle the blinders? Congratulations buddy.

Your in the top 5% of this site as far as a/c ratings go.  bigthumbsup 

tb727

Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:56 am

Congrats, I still remember mine well! I can tell you now, you will get more out of this rating than any others. It's really kind of an art flying IFR, you'll see. Be safe though and set high personal minimums at first and stick to them.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

futureualpilot

Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:45 am

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 3):
You might want to explain that further, because some might think it gets hot up there next to the engine and all...

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 3):

You might want to change your tag line of "Clear Skies" then!   

....somebody is on a roll tonight!

Ok, ok....hood = foggles, etc. A device that limits the student's view to the instrument panel.

As far as my tag line, any suggestions? Maybe clear skies can be more metaphorically speaking than literal?

redngold

Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:07 am

Strings, brass, woodwinds or percussion?

j/k, congratulations!
Up, up and away!

mhodgson

Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:43 am

Snap  Wink

Well done!
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

wilco737

Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:46 am

Congratulations!  thumbsup 

Safe flying and always happy landings!!!

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

ZKSUJ

Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:50 am

Good stuff, excellent. Was it in an ME aircraft or a SE?

Well done

ronglimeng

Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:08 pm

Let me add my congratulations.

My hat's off to you. I had two attempts with an Instrument ride but both times, before I even got into a hold, the inspector said " We'll have to go back". So I figured I'd reached my level of (in)competence and gave it up as a lost cause.

I'm wondering:

Is it possible to do all your training and your check ride under the hood in VFR conditions and then face your first actual IFR conditions only after you've got your ticket?

Do newly-minted IFR-rated pilots file IFR in VFR conditions and gradually ease themselves into dirty weather, or do most of you jump right into IFR?

futureualpilot

Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:11 pm

Quoting Ronglimeng (Reply 12):
Is it possible to do all your training and your check ride under the hood in VFR conditions and then face your first actual IFR conditions only after you've got your ticket?

I suppose so, you need 40hrs actual or simulated instrument time, including 15hrs in the same category aircraft for which the rating is sought, and 3hrs within 60 days of the practical test. As far as being a good idea? I'd say no. Taking an instrument student into actual conditions a couple of times will be very beneficial to them. I remember going from the hood to flying in actual conditions for the first time, and even though the principles are the same, the experience is very different.

Quoting Ronglimeng (Reply 12):
Do newly-minted IFR-rated pilots file IFR in VFR conditions and gradually ease themselves into dirty weather, or do most of you jump right into IFR?

Many do ease into it, starting with your own personal minimums and lowering them, as you gain more confidence and become comfortable in the instrument environment.

EDIT: The hour requirements I posted are according to the FARs, I am not sure what they are for other countries.

[Edited 2008-02-03 10:13:36]

Type-Rated

Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:08 pm

When I took my Commercial ride the examiner told me I passed right after the last landing. When I got my instrument, the examiner (different one) didn't say one damn word until we were out of the aircraft and back inside the FBO. That was one of the longest times in my life. But I knew I did well as I didn't bust any minimums and the runway came out just where it should have. We used one of the long white hoods. The aircraft used was a Beech Bonanza.

A big congratulations to you! You'll enjoy having your instrument rating. It opens up a whole new world of possibilities for you.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

Ps76

Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:18 pm

Hi,

Just wanted to say congratulations but to more importantly ask if you ever make it to an airline please can you push for an Airliners.net discount so enthusiasts can fly for less(!)

From another IFR pilot (well I fly IFR in flightsim which is kinda like the real thing I like to think!),

P.

[Edited 2008-02-03 12:20:15]

wilco737

Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:22 pm

Quoting Ps76 (Reply 15):
From another IFR pilot (well I fly IFR in flightsim which is kinda like the real thing I like to think!),

No it isnt  Wink  duck 

There is nothing better than the real flying... But VFR is better, then you can actually see something! Flying IFR you sometimes dont see anything! If you have CAT III at your departure and at your destination aerodrome and clouds enroute all the time, then its pretty boring sightseeingwise Big grin

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

mhodgson

Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:29 pm

Out of interest, is the IR you took equivalent to the UK one I just did? Yet Another Self Gloss... (by Mhodgson Jan 28 2008 in Non Aviation)

Mine is the last step for the ATPL, and must therefore be performed in a multi-engine aircraft, whereas you did yours in a single. Is it just FAA differing from CAA, or is there another step/different order for qualification in the US?
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

wilco737

Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:37 pm

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 17):
Yet Another Self Gloss... (by Mhodgson Jan 28 2008 in Non Aviation)

Looks like yours got deleted or the link is bad... Cannot access this thread...

Mine is the last step for the ATPL, and must therefore be performed in a multi-engine aircraft, whereas you did yours in a single

Oh, I can remember when I did all that! But I prefer to fly jets! Big grin In thrust we trust  Wink

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

dl021

Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:41 pm

Congratulations! Well done and fly safe!h
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

Ps76

Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:44 pm

Hi,

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 16):
No it isnt

But I tell you us sim pilots could land a 747 no sweat if the pilots were taken out(!)

P.  hissyfit  (!)

wilco737

Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:45 pm

Quoting Ps76 (Reply 20):
But I tell you us sim pilots could land a 747 no sweat if the pilots were taken out(!)

rotfl   rotfl  not again that discussion  banghead 

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

learpilot

Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:45 pm

Congrats Transpac! I thought the Instrument was the most intense rating to get.

Now get back to the airport and get to work on the Commercial. There's a whole big sky out there that needs some Chandelles and Lazy 8's cut into it.  Big grin
Heed our warnings or your future will be underpant free!

Jpax

Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:57 pm

Quoting Ps76 (Reply 20):

You can't be serious, are you? I think you may be though by calling yourself an IFR pilot because you fly IFR in FS.  Wink

Congrats!

wilco737

Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:02 pm

Quoting Jpax (Reply 23):
You can't be serious, are you? I think you may be though by calling yourself an IFR pilot because you fly IFR in FS. Wink

Congrats!

rotfl 

Its for sure something I am dreaming of: sitting in a 744 on my way somewhere, both pilots die and the only guy who is supposed to "rescue" us is an FS wanna be pilot?! NO THANKS!  duck 

WHere is my parachute Big grin

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

Ps76

Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:49 pm

Hi,

Quoting Jpax (Reply 23):
You can't be serious, are you? I think you may be though by calling yourself an IFR pilot because you fly IFR in FS.

I admit there may be some truth to that(!)

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 24):
Its for sure something I am dreaming of: sitting in a 744 on my way somewhere, both pilots die and the only guy who is supposed to "rescue" us is an FS wanna be pilot?! NO THANKS! duck

WHere is my parachute

Me and B747Forever would have you on the ground in 20minutes. Of course if we'd be on the ground in one piece is another matter(!)

P.

Mir

Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:01 pm

Congrats! Now, this won't be a problem anymore:  Smile

Quoting Learpilot (Reply 22):
I thought the Instrument was the most intense rating to get.

Just wait until you try CFI. Man, was that tough.  relieved 

Mine is the last step for the ATPL, and must therefore be performed in a multi-engine aircraft, whereas you did yours in a single. Is it just FAA differing from CAA, or is there another step/different order for qualification in the US?

In the US instrument is generally the second rating pilots get. You can either get it before the multi (common) or after (less common, and in that case it would be the third rating that you get since the multi would be second). You can also get commercial without instrument (either single or multi), but a CPL without IR is very restricted in what you can do with it.

My track is going to be PPL, IR, CPL, CFI, ME, CFII, ATP (possibly MEI in between CFII and ATP, but that's not for certain yet)

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

asuflyer05

Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:05 pm

Congrats dude. You can fly an airplane, without looking outside. Just be sure to when you hit the mins on an approach.

flight152

Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:34 pm

Quoting Ps76 (Reply 15):

There is ZERO truth to that. Until you have flown an ILS, in IMC down to minimums with turburlance and with approch changing the runway 10 miles out; you haven't done anything.

B747forever

Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:50 am

Congrats man!!! I am so glad for you!!!!
Work Hard, Fly Right

Soku39

Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:16 am

Congrats, definitely the hardest thing you'll do in the props until your CFI.
The Ohio Player

wilco737

Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:19 am

Quoting Flight152 (Reply 28):
There is ZERO truth to that. Until you have flown an ILS, in IMC down to minimums with turburlance and with approch changing the runway 10 miles out; you haven't done anything.

And not to forget some heavy rain (makes it amazingly loud in the front), and some thunderstorm with lightnings all the time etc etc...

But we are drifting away from the original topic...

@Transpac787: dont get worried now! Good job and keep up the work and we see us in the sky somewhere then! You can be my wingman anytime Big grin

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane