cpd

RE: Would You Prefer...? (Cars Edition, Volume 1)

Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:15 pm

I'm in Australia, so some unusual choices

Sedan:
Mercedes Benz C320 CDI
GTS (VE Holden Commodore derivative)

Coupe:
BMW M3 (no other choice, a superb car - a really fantastic engine)

Luxury Sedan:
Mercedes Benz S320 CDI

(Lexus does not reach this list with the LS, it doesn't rate against the superb Mercedes).

Hybrid:
Prius

Sports car:
997 Porsche 911 Turbo

Supercar:
Ferrari F430 Scuderia
Porsche 911 GT2
Pagani Zonda F Clubsport

Flighty

Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:09 pm

Quoting Siren (Reply 45):

Quoting Flighty (Reply 36):
Anything faster is just not practical in the USA.

Sure it is. You simply need to be creative about the application of that speed and power.

Well there are cars that can handle high speed better than a Civic. On the other hand consider a journey of Corvette ZR-1 vs Honda Civic Hybrid.

Most of the cruising happens at 75-85 mph and the Civic Hybrid keeps up the whole way (probably more quietly).

I just don't think the dream of 120mph cruising is really possible in the USA these days. Done a lot of road trips and never been able to see the far side of 100mph in actual driving conditions. 95mph is about the max convoy speed you can hope for in the USA. That has been my experience. True road warriors may know better.

Above 90 mph, sure give me the BMW for its incredible high speed stability. But it's just not a mission in my daily life.

Regarding Hondas lasting 20 years, maybe in California but never in Boston or Detroit.

asuflyer05

Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:19 am

The Civic Hybrid isn't comparable to a BMW and I'm a big Honda guy. The Civic Hybrid has very little personality, slow acceleration, and a typical bouncy Civic ride. It's not as bad as a Prius but it is a borderline appliance.

Fly2HMO

Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:17 am

Quoting SAN787 (Thread starter):
Charger

Don't really like any of the ones listed, but I'll settle with the SRT-8

A5

I'd take an S5 actually, same car, right?  Wink

A8

S8  Wink

Hybrid

None of the above, not by a longshot!  vomit 

If I want mpg, I'd get any of the (major) German diesel sedans/hatchbacks. Preferably from V.A.G., like an A3 TDI.

Xenon Headlamps

NWA742

Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:51 am

Quoting AlexPorter (Reply 40):
This has already been done. It is on fordvehicles.com if you want to look at it. See my Sedan comments as well.

No, the current 08 model Taurus is only a rebadged 500 with some drivetrain improvements. The 2009/10 redesigned Ford Taurus that I was referring to hasn't been released to the public.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 39):
I have spend less money on my BMW than most people spend on their Ford.

Well then you bought a cheaper BMW and you don't have it maintained at BMW dealerships.  Wink

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

PHLBOS

Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:55 pm

Quoting AlexPorter (Reply 40):
Note that the new Taurus is full-size (a size I avoid)

You probably would then avoid the new 2008 Honda Accord sedan. According to the EPA, it's now considered a large/full-size. The Accord coupe is still considered a compact, though.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/FEG2008.pdf
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

threefourthree

Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:23 am

Camry(have one since 99 and still no problems)

CLK550

S550

Camry

GPS Navigation

LOT767-300ER

Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:31 am

Quoting Siren (Reply 19):
Yup. German cars are simply better than American cars (in terms of engineering and quality), and on par with the best Japanese manufacturing operations. German cars have the best driving dynamics of anything on the road - as they are designed for sustained high speeds, which demand better quality control and better design. For my money, the best you can get is a german car.

Silly Wow, can you please pass that Moroccan on down there buddy? The average American engineered and made car rocks the pants off of the average German or Japanese car. Why dont you step into a Mercedes A class and let me know if that has better driving dynamics than a John Deere Lawnmower.
Then again even a retard survey like JD Powers realizes that German cars dont have the best quality. Wait a minute whats this?

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/j-d-p...ehicle-dependability-study/346679/

3 American brands before even the 1st German brand? Thats funny...why dont we throw in some German and Japanese cars which we dont see here, 75% of them are trash anyways.

Let me give you a Toyota Aygo, you can park it straight into your walk in closet.

There barely is Japanese engineering to begin with since its all copying, Almost every automotive invention/first is American or German/Italian/French. That being said if I was you ant wanted driving dynamics and speed id still buy an American car or Japanese Evo/STI since they cost 1/2 of a German car and have equal or better performance.

Sedan:
Charger SRT8 or R/T

Coupe:
Camaro (new)

Luxury Sedan:
From list Audi A8 but ideally CTS 3.6DI

Hybrid:
None, Hybrids are trash. If I had to get one Id be the Tahoe Hybrid.

Bonus: If you could have one of these options and none of the others, which would you choose?
GPS Navigation

Banco

Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:02 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 57):
The average American engineered and made car rocks the pants off of the average German or Japanese car.

And yet in the equivalent UK test, Chrysler perform moderately, and Jeep abominably. So do Mercedes, incidentally; they've had quality issues the last few years.

American cars remain pretty primitive compared to most other major manufacturers around the world. You're still using leaf springs for God's sake!

http://www.topgear.com/content/carsurvey/2006/features/08/2.html

There barely is Japanese engineering to begin with since its all copying

They taught everyone it was possible to build a reliable car.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

N1120A

Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:06 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 54):

Well then you bought a cheaper BMW

I have an M3, so no.

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 54):
and you don't have it maintained at BMW dealerships.

Actually, BMW dealerships are often cheaper than some of the purported BMW "expert" shops that charge extortionate prices and often f'up people's cars. There are two factors that go into where I service my car. One, reputation and work product and two, price. If that means a dealer, ok. If that means an indy shop, ok.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

MCOflyer

Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:04 am

Civic

I will never ever get a hybrid until the diesel dies.

Challenger (new)

Very sporty car.

S550

This would be my choice if I had the option of diesel.

Charger

With a hemi please.

Kinghunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

NWA742

Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:44 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 59):
I have an M3, so no.

Then you are not spending less money than most people spend on their Fords.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 59):
Actually, BMW dealerships are often cheaper than some of the purported BMW "expert" shops that charge extortionate prices and often f'up people's cars. There are two factors that go into where I service my car. One, reputation and work product and two, price. If that means a dealer, ok. If that means an indy shop, ok.

I see - but maintenance on a BMW tends to be very expensive wherever you go, compared with your average Chevy or Ford.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

LOT767-300ER

Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:39 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 58):
And yet in the equivalent UK test, Chrysler perform moderately, and Jeep abominably. So do Mercedes, incidentally; they've had quality issues the last few years.

American cars remain pretty primitive compared to most other major manufacturers around the world. You're still using leaf springs for God's sake!

Its not my damn fault you guys built crap versions over there or get crap export models.

Leaf springs, what do you want to complain about? Transverse Leaf Springs on a Corvette? Like most people who dont know squat about cars except what they hear they are the better fit for the car for several reason. Ill let you do the reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corvette_leaf_springs or Ill spare you and summarize it to you that they still have Double A arms connected with one single leaf instead of a coil which they used to use in GM. Not only does this shave off alot of weight, it acts as an anti-roll bar and it does not wear out like a coil. Do you even have any idea that in a Corvette mounted transerve leaf spring its only that, a spring and it does not locate the axel so it does not matter if its a coil over suspension or pure coil or whatever the hell you want it to be.

The only disadvantage Banco is that they are more expensive, which is hardly Corvettes problem since it spanks almost every European supercar doing it for 1/10th the price.

Want to talk about leaf springs in trucks? They are inherently more durable than your crap suspensions on Pickups/SUVs (if you can call it that) in Europe that use coil sprung rear axles/IRS

Americans thought of this way before Honda put Coil over Suspensions, go and look for 60s/70s Chevy truck suspension...same thing and they reverted from it because it just wasnt as good as a leaf spring for work.

What else do you want? Independent Rear Suspensions in Pickups rather than solid axels? Your knowledge of suspensions and mechanics in this genre is about as big as my knowledge of latin names for butterflies.

While youre at it genius, tell me where BMW MacPherson suspensions came from that are used on basically everything but the new X5.

[Edited 2008-02-11 20:42:37]

greggarious

Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:30 am

OK, time to chime in:

Sedan: Accord (never fails!)

Coupe: 335i

Luxury Sedan: S550

Quoting Drewfly (Reply 42):
Luxury Sedan - S550...........sell it, buy a Lotus Elise and a Camry Hybrid

I do like this idea, although I'd go with one of my beloved Volvos and pocket the rest (a V8-powered S80 and many thousands of dollars left over, methinks!)

Hybrid: Civic... I've got a soft spot for these wonderful cars!

Bonus: GPS for sure!

Flighty

Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:36 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 62):
Its not my damn fault you guys built crap versions over there or get crap export models.

You are nuts. Europeans sometimes get better GM or Ford models than we do. Ford RS2000 Cosworth, 2008 Ford Focus (Europe-only 2008 model on new chassis), new Opel Astra.... the Ford Mondeo platform was key for Ford in the 1990s. Nice cars, designed and engineered in Europe by Ford.

As for America inventing everything on the automobile, that is almost true... prior to 1965. After that, foreigners took the strong lead. For the last 40 years, technology has come from Europe and Japan into our cars. Sometimes, American cars can match the foreign high technology. More often, we fail to match it.

But hey, the Tahoe Hybrid is pretty impressive. So nice of Toyota to invent that technology, so GM could reverse engineer it! Don't tell me GM didn't buy any Priuses to tear apart because they clearly must have. It's the same technology, only 8 years passed since the original Prius.

LOT767-300ER

Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:38 am

Quoting Flighty (Reply 64):
You are nuts. Europeans sometimes get better GM or Ford models than we do. Ford RS2000 Cosworth, 2008 Ford Focus (Europe-only 2008 model on new chassis), new Opel Astra.... the Ford Mondeo platform was key for Ford in the 1990s. Nice cars, designed and engineered in Europe by Ford.

I was not talking about models engineered in Europe and made for the European market.

I was talking about models engineered and made in the USA and then built over there for the local market.

What models? Jeep Grand Cherokee, Voyager etc.

But hey, the Tahoe Hybrid is pretty impressive. So nice of Toyota to invent that technology, so GM could reverse engineer it! Don't tell me GM didn't buy any Priuses to tear apart because they clearly must have. It's the same technology, only 8 years passed since the original Prius.

Except your wrong again. Toyota did not invent the hybrid.  Silly Hahahha yea right that would be funny!

Go read this http://www.refresharticles.com/artic...otive/who_invented_hybrid_cars.txt

An American by the name of Victor Wouk engineered the modern Hybird vehicle and put that in a 72' Buick Skylark, then you had a 79' Opel GT with a lawnmower combustible/electric with batteries and then you had the Audi Duo with a parellel setup. Toyota was just the first to mass market.

Let me go back to this thread: https://www.airliners.net/discussions...36&s=ford+hybrid+license#ID1689536 in case you missed it.

Let me also remind you that Toyota did not invent squat, they bought interests in companies who invented this and other things and supply Detroit automakers with these parts. One is Aisin Seiki, in case youve never heard of it they supply hybrids to Toyota/Lexus vehicles as well as Ford/Mazda/Nissan etc. Let me add to that that Ford licenses off Toyota because they developed a hybrid alongside Toyotas but failed to patent these parts.

The first hybrid an electric/gas car came from right in my backyard thats right, Chicago IL with the Woods Dual Power in the late 1910s. Prius can go to the junkyard, piece of trash.

Ill be damned if anyone credits the Japanese with hybrid power yet again.

As for America inventing everything on the automobile, that is almost true... prior to 1965. After that, foreigners took the strong lead. For the last 40 years, technology has come from Europe and Japan into our cars. Sometimes, American cars can match the foreign high technology. More often, we fail to match it.

In the last 30 years we should say there hasnt been much high technology: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_automotive_superlatives

If you look there half of Electrical/Electronic systems were in American cars first in the last 25-30 years.

You have to remember that in America we only ever get the high end models that Europe does usually models with bigger engines and better trim and we dont get HALF of the cars they do. When you make a sweeping statement such as we fail to match it its inherently erroneous. Send over some baseline Peugeot 1007, VW Polo, Mercedes A class, Fiat Grande Punto or Toyota Hilux and see how they compare to our baseline models...i think you would be in for a surprise. Im not even going to talk about price.

L410Turbolet

Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:45 am

Why dont you step into a Mercedes A class and let me know if that has better driving dynamics than a John Deere Lawnmower.

Let me give you a Toyota Aygo, you can park it straight into your walk in closet.

The moment you stop confusing size and engine displacement with quality the discussion can move forward. You know, not everyone's 18 with penis size issues and his only requirement from a car is ability to burn rubber on redlights....
 Yeah sure  duck 

Banco

Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:18 am

And yet oddly enough you don't allow the same latitude for European cars built in Mexico, or re-badged Opels with the crappy engine it it.

The only disadvantage Banco is that they are more expensive

No, the disadvantage is that it's dynamically disastrous. Fine for you when going from a standing start in a straight line. Elsewhere, that's not regarded as being sufficient.

The only disadvantage Banco is that they are more expensive, which is hardly Corvettes problem since it spanks almost every European supercar doing it for 1/10th the price.

That's the biggest joke ever. The Corvette is certainly cheap, I'll grant you that, and if you want to pretend you're in a supercar without laying out the cash, then great, it's a performance bargain. But the idea it "spanks" every European supercar is utterly hilarious. What do you base that on? A nice 0-60? Oooh, how clever! Let me think how to do that? I know, let's dump a huge engine in to it and that's it. That'll work! Or perhaps that uprated versions have done well on a track? That's not that hard either. It's primitive muscle car power, nothing more. That has a place, without the slightest question, but to even remotely suggest that it can compete on even terms with European supercars is ridiculous.

Pickups

trucks?

Who cares about them? Who's even talking about them?

While youre at it genius

I know you are under the impression that you know absolutely everything, and that everyone else is wrong, but be careful here. You might not be. Just think what a shock that would be for you.

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 65):
I was talking about models engineered and made in the USA and then built over there for the local market.

Er......such as what?

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 65):
Ill be damned if anyone credits the Japanese with hybrid power yet again

And yet oddly enough, for all the brilliance elsewhere, it was the Japanese that got it to work in a car and got it to market. On the same basis, we might as well point out that your giant aircraft carriers in the US navy are simply copies of someone else's idea.

CaptOveur

Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:35 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 28):
You accidentally left off the only American true luxury sedan; the Lincoln Town Car.

Oh a Crown Victoria with leather. Let me get you a light bar and a cage to go with your cop car. I am not a big fan of American "luxury" cars because it feels like I am driving a living room sofa down the road. With braking, handling, and acceleration that compares to my living room sofa. If you insist on rear drive and don't mind riding around in a dentists chair get a BMW (as much as I hate to say that) or if you can live with Front drive and want something comfortable that also handles well look at Acura or Lexus.

Quoting Asuflyer05 (Reply 52):
he Civic Hybrid has very little personality, slow acceleration, and a typical bouncy Civic ride. It's not as bad as a Prius but it is a borderline appliance.

And in temperature extremes it might as well be a 4cyl civic because the battery won't hold a decent charge with the environmental systems running at full blast. So if you are insistent on getting a 40 something mpg hybrid Civic I say save yourself some money and a few headaches and get a 30 something mpg regular Civic. Plus when the warranty expires someone other than a dealer can work on your regular Civic.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

LOT767-300ER

Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:11 am

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 66):
The moment you stop confusing size and engine displacement with quality the discussion can move forward. You know, not everyone's 18 with penis size issues and his only requirement from a car is ability to burn rubber on redlights....

Its essential when comparing apples to apples not oranges to apples.

Quoting Banco (Reply 67):
And yet oddly enough you don't allow the same latitude for European cars built in Mexico, or re-badged Opels with the crappy engine it it.

Is that right, so what is the Jetta and the Saturn Astra?

No, the disadvantage is that it's dynamically disastrous. Fine for you when going from a standing start in a straight line. Elsewhere, that's not regarded as being sufficient.

Straight line? Heres the ultimate test in curves: Nurburgring circuit.

7:28-7:40 - Porsche Carrera GT with multiple attempts, different drivers and track conditions
7:40 - C6 Corvette Z06 <------
7:40 - Mercedes SLR
7:43 - 996 Porsche 911 GT3 RS
7:43.5 - Lamborghini Murcielago
7:44 - Pagani Zonda C12S
7:46 - 996 Porsche 911 GT2
7:50 - BMW M3 CSL
7:52 - Lamborghini Gallardo
7:56 - C5 Corvette Z06
7:56 - Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale
7:56 - 996 Porsche 911 Turbo

Heres a more extensive list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordschleife_fastest_lap_times

Not sufficient? The Z06 does a 71mph on a 600ft slalom and pulls .94g, but thats not even as good as a Viper SRT10 non ACR that for just a few grand more can do the same in 74mph with a .99g on the skidpad. That takes down anything under $150,000 you can offer me, probably anything under $200,000 save for 1 or 2 cars. You dont have to take something on the track to compare performance, all you need is a clear road and a set of cones. If the suspension is so inferior how does it magically take curves this fast?

That's the biggest joke ever. The Corvette is certainly cheap, I'll grant you that, and if you want to pretend you're in a supercar without laying out the cash, then great, it's a performance bargain. But the idea it "spanks" every European supercar is utterly hilarious. What do you base that on? A nice 0-60? Oooh, how clever! Let me think how to do that? I know, let's dump a huge engine in to it and that's it. That'll work! Or perhaps that uprated versions have done well on a track? That's not that hard either. It's primitive muscle car power, nothing more. That has a place, without the slightest question, but to even remotely suggest that it can compete on even terms with European supercars is ridiculous.

What do you want to base a Supercar on if not performance? How big the stupid wing is on the back of the Porsche or how pimp you look infront of Monte Carlo in your Lamborghini? If you want an interior go and buy a Maybach.

And yet oddly enough, for all the brilliance elsewhere, it was the Japanese that got it to work in a car and got it to market. On the same basis, we might as well point out that your giant aircraft carriers in the US navy are simply copies of someone else's idea

What? The first airplane to launch from a ship was American off an American boat.

Banco

Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:21 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 69):
Straight line? Heres the ultimate test in curves: Nurburgring circuit.

Hah! I was waiting for you to mention that one. Trouble is, it's a complete dog on the road. The trick is to make a car that is good on circuit AND road. And that's where it loses out.

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 69):
What? The first airplane to launch from a ship was American off an American boat.

The first seaplane carrier and the first aircraft carrier were both British. You just copied.

LOT767-300ER

Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:26 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 70):
The first seaplane carrier and the first aircraft carrier were both British. You just copied.

The first aircraft to take off from a ship was off the USS Birmingham in 1910. That was 2 years before the HMS Hibernia, and 3 years before the HMS Hermes. I rest my case.

Quoting Banco (Reply 70):
Hah! I was waiting for you to mention that one. Trouble is, it's a complete dog on the road. The trick is to make a car that is good on circuit AND road. And that's where it loses out.

How do you figure that? You live in Britain and I live in America in the flatest part of the world FFS. The hell I need something that climbs like a WRX STI or an Evo. In a straight line, like most roads are it spanks also.

SAN787
Topic Author

Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:05 am

Quoting Siren (Reply 45):
Quoting N1120A (Reply 39):
I have spend less money on my BMW than most people spend on their Ford.

As a former BMW owner, I can back that up. All I ever had to do with mine is replace the clutch. Additionally, there is a BMW in the family since new (2001) that has 110,000 miles on it now - with no major issues and just normal servicing throughout its lifetime.

I'll back up the back up. In my 7 years of driving, I've owned a 1991 Pontiac, 1987 BMW and a 2000 BMW. I was left stranded multiple times by the Pontiac and it faced many repairs in the 1 1/2 years I owned it (3 or 4 alternators)...sold with 55,000 miles. My '87 325 was put through 92,000 miles in 3 years and the only major repair was the clutch...sold with 191,000 miles. My current 2000 323Ci now has 160,000+ miles and the only major repair has been the transmission component (after I bottomed out hardcore on a nasty speedbump)...other than that, all I do is fill it with gas and change the oil. BMW customer for life!!

I'd say maintenence averages out monetarily across the board, but I know I'd rather spend more less frequently.
those who don't get carried away should be.

SAN787
Topic Author

Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:22 am

And the results are in...

Most votes overall: TIE 335i/Civic Hybrid (12)
Least votes overall: Taurus (0)

Catergory Winners:

Sedan: Accord (11)
Coupe: 335i (12)
Luxury Sedan: TIE A8/S550 (10)
Hybrid: Civic (12)
Option: Xenons (13)

I found it surprising that Honda beat out Toyota in both the Sedan and Hybrid categories, as well as the 750Li getting 3rd place in the Luxury Sedan category.
those who don't get carried away should be.