Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

fxramper
Topic Author

I'm Going To Disney World!

Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:11 am

The Happiest Place in the World!

I'm taking my girlfriend to Disney World in June. I got a package, 5 nights, all the parks, staying at Wilderness Lodge in the Magic Kingdom, all meals included. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Disclaimer: I grew up in Newport Beach, California and have been to Disneyland over 300 times.

cloudnine 

yegmaster

RE: I'm Going To Disney World!

Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:13 am

Have fun.
I hope to take the family to Euro Disney this summer.
Cheers.

AsstChiefMark

Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:14 am

Celebrating a new job with Fox Noose? You sure seem to be using a shitload of their graphics in other threads.  Wink

fxramper
Topic Author

Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:20 am

I only started this thread because I've never been to Disney World!

Quoting Yegmaster (Reply 1):

Appreciate that! I've been to Disneyland Paris. Had a great time. Was studying at Oxford and folks surprised me with a trip to Paris and Disney was a must for family - being from SoCo.

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 2):
Celebrating a new job with Fox Noose?

Haha, nah. I usually host the pics I use. Behave Mark.  razz 

LHboyatDTW

Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:26 am

Quoting FXramper (Thread starter):
Disclaimer: I grew up in Newport Beach, California and have been to Disneyland over 300 times.

Being one who has been to DisneyWorld numerous times, you haven't really missed much. Still pretty crowded with lots of adults having bad parenting skills.

I used to enjoy going down there as a kid, but it's always more fun to daydream of the place than have reality hit you. Granted there are lots of things to do there that I do find fun, but the magical aspect of Disney seems to have disappeared from me.

Sorry to try and put a sour note on your parade, but it honestly is what happens the more you visit the place.

srbmod

Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:27 am

The Happiest Place in the World!

Funny, I thought that "The Happiest Place In The World" was Tijuana  duck 

I haven't been to Disney World in years. When I mean years, I mean years. We're talking pre-EPCOT. Honestly, the place doesn't enthuse me. If I had a few rugrats I'd probably be enthused to go there.

fxramper
Topic Author

Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:28 am

Quoting LHboyatDTW (Reply 4):

Sorry to try and put a sour note on your parade, but it honestly is what happens the more you visit the place.

No sour grapes at all. I asked for all feedback - negative included. What about EPCOT? Animal Kingdom?

September11

Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:41 am

Doesn't Disney World have an official airline?

Tom in NO

Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:49 am

My wife and I did the 5-night package for our honeymoon almost 14 years ago...stayed at the Contemporary. And we have been back a couple of times since, and will go again once our youngest daughter gets to eight years old (next year).

Our breakfasts were in the hotel, though we did one at the Grand Floridian. I forget about the lunches, except the one that didn't impress me at Epcot-World Showcase-Canada. Dinners were at Epcot-World Showcase Mexico and Germany and Cinderella's Castle at the Magic Kingdom, and as I recall all were good.

Wilderness Lodge was under construction during our honeymoon. We may try to stay there next time.

If you've got an extra day or so, Daytona Beach is 50-odd miles up I-4 and the Kennedy Space Center is east on the BeeLine Expressway.

Tom at MSY (on the CrackBerry)

LHboyatDTW

Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:22 am

Quoting FXramper (Reply 6):
Animal Kingdom?

I wouldn't use your money on that park if I were you. It really is a glorified zoo.

EPCOT is actually quite reasonable for a day despite 75% of things in the park being educational. Just find a good spot around the lagoon early in advance for Illuminations; a laser light show that is shown nightly(?) over the lagoon.

MGM is pretty good as well if you're into Television and a thrillseeker.

If any questions need to be asked about WDW, just IM me.

MaverickM11

Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:34 am

Me too, and then I moved to South Florida and went to Disney World for another bizillion school trips, birthdays, vacations etc. If I never see a Disney theme park again it'll be too soon. I guess it's better than Knott's Berry Farm though Silly

Continental

Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:52 am

I was just at Disney a few weeks ago (disclaimer: I grew up near Tampa so Disney was just an hour or so away).

The Wilderness Lodge is one of my favorite hotels. The lobby there is enormous and impressive and the resort itself is very inviting and relaxing.

I'd HIGHLY recommend going to Epcot and the Magic Kingdom. Those are the two best parks hands down, however, I haven't been to MGM in many years.

If you're looking for reviews and pretty much all the information you need, check out:

www.mouseplanet.com
www.allearsnet.com

Falcon84

Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:55 am

Say hi to Eli Manning while you're there. I hear he's also going.  Big grin

I love the place, more than any reason because my kids love it, and seeing their faces while we're there is worth every penny. Enjoy.

LHboyatDTW

Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:56 am

Quoting Continental (Reply 11):
The Wilderness Lodge is one of my favorite hotels. The lobby there is enormous and impressive and the resort itself is very inviting and relaxing.

I'd HIGHLY recommend going to Epcot and the Magic Kingdom. Those are the two best parks hands down, however, I haven't been to MGM in many years

checkmark 

Great minds think alike.

Though I personally like staying at the Old Key West resort on Disney property. It doesn't feel like a hotel. More so a neighborhood and that's what I like about it apart from the fact that I grew up going there 4/5 of the times I've visited WDW.

fxramper
Topic Author

Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:46 am

I'm so pumped about Disney World! I'm gonna do a trip report about it! So is Animal Kingdom overated?

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 12):
Say hi to Eli Manning while you're there. I hear he's also going.

Just for you Falcon, I'll use it one more time before I retire it.  bigthumbsup 

dragon-wings

Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:47 am

I remember buying all of our souvenirs at Disney Village (just off I-4). It was less expensive there than at Disney World. If you like animals you should try to make it to Sea World. It's about a 20 minute drive north of Disney World.

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 5):
haven't been to Disney World in years.

Last time I was at Disney World was 1992.

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 12):
Say hi to Eli Manning while you're there. I hear he's also going.

I was going to say something like that too.

BCAInfoSys

Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:54 am

I am a former Disney Castmember. I did two stints, one at the All-Star Music Resort and one at Disney-MGM Studios (Animation Courtyard). I personally am a fan of the Port Orleans Resort. It's centrally located, very nice, relatively inexpensive, and generally less chaotic then some of the other resorts. Not to mention; it just has a great laidback/chill feel to the entire resort.

I'm always up to talk Disney. IM me or e-mail me via my profile. I can give you all of the insider tips on what to see and what to avoid. And if you want the real goodies, ask DL021 for the picture of he and I dualing with lightsabers at Star Tours (MGM).  Big grin

desertjets

Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:57 am

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Get in your rent-a-car and do the 10 minute drive up I-4 to Universal Studios.  Smile

Though slightly more seriously even though it isn't part of the package deal both Universal and Sea World are probably both worth the time and money to go to, even for just half a day. Heck my old coworker and I did an evening at Islands of Adventure and that was definitely a good time.

I'll second Tom's reccomendation to drive over to KSC. A really cool place to check out, but plan a full day including driving for that.

ShyFlyer

Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:25 am

Quoting LHboyatDTW (Reply 9):
EPCOT is actually quite reasonable for a day despite 75% of things in the park being educational.

checkmark 
I went there on a school trip many years ago (~16 years or so). Back then I enjoyed it, though it got kinda boring around late afternoon. Sadly, we weren't "allowed" to go anywhere else in the park. Sea World and Universal Studios were by far more memorable.

LHboyatDTW

Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:39 am

Quoting FXramper (Reply 14):
So is Animal Kingdom overated?

yep. Pretty much anything you can do there you can do at your nearest zoo except for a 3D movie and a roller coaster. Other than that, not much.

Though I'd recommend the Whispering Canyons at the Wilderness Lodge for a dinner and such. The food there is really good and the staff have quite some character. I dare you to pull out your cell phone in front of them. You don't even need to call anyone. Also if you misbehave enough, you may have to ride on a horse/broomstick around the whole restaurant with a bunch of little kids (My dad and uncle had to do it. I must admit it was amusing besides embarrassing.)

LO231

Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:07 am

Quoting Yegmaster (Reply 1):
Have fun.
Cheers.

You sure you want to do that? A friend of mine has just spent a weekend there queuing her ass off with her son (and it's only February) to see pretty much the same stuff as you would in the US.

Oh, and to get a picture with Mickey for €20.00. What a bargain. I don't get the hype, unless you're 5......

Regards,
LO231

fxramper
Topic Author

Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:08 am

Quoting LHboyatDTW (Reply 19):
I dare you to pull out your cell phone in front of them

I'll leave the Crackberry (thanks Tom) in the room if we decide to eat at Whispering Canyons.

Anyone that has been to Disneyland and Disney World? Differences? Did you enjoy one more than the other?

This will be my fourth Disney Park to visit - Disneyland, Disneyland Paris, and Tokyo Disney.  hearts 

davestanKSAN

Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:36 am

Damn bro, do you ever stay in AUS for more than a day? I can look after your car while you're out of town, yes?

Have fun, I'm jealous.

Dave

fxramper
Topic Author

Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:46 am

Quoting DavestanKSAN (Reply 22):
I can look after your car while you're out of town, yes?

A guy by twin works with already told me he'd sit the M3.  rotfl 

The Disney World trip is me cashing in some of the 3 weeks of vacation I've earned.

Getting the runs from Asia and being miserable in Atlanta now earns me a paycheck.

iairallie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:52 am

OOh that is a nice romantic hotel.
The restaurant has a great berry cobler desert

I used to be a Disney cast member here are some of my favorites...

Dinner at Ohana's at the Polynesian Resort. The desert is my favorite! Make your reservation as early as possible. Then take a romantic walk down to the beach under the tiki torches to watch the fireworks.

MGM or Disney Hollywood (I think that is the new name)-
Tower of terror
Fantasmic show- Best in the World (Disney World that is). I did a job shadow of the stage managers and it was COOL my best friend and I used to go watch it whenever we had the chance.

Epcot-
My favorite park.
I always treat myself to a Shaved ice at Japan.
I'm a nerd I like the educational aspect of Epcot it keeps you mentally engaged. seem to be less kids there
They also used to have this robot that would draw your portrait for Free at the tech expo area. I always liked that as a kid.

Animal kingdom-
Expedition everest
The safari is neat too
I used to work at restrauntosaurus to this day can't stand REM's "it's the end of the world as we know it" as it was one of 6 songs on an endless loop.

Magic kingdom-
I love it all

The water parks are neat
We used to have annual passes to Typhoon lagoon. They have a large aquarium where you can go snorkeling.

For those with kids fort wilderness campground has chip n' dales singalong and outdoor movie. There is a campfire and you can bring marshmallows to roast.

Ride lines are generally shortest near park open, close and during parades.

Some of this stuff is dated so you may want to verify before making plans.

Boeing74741R

Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:10 am

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 17):
Get in your rent-a-car and do the 10 minute drive up I-4 to Universal Studios.

Agreed! Even though they say you need at least a week to do the whole of Disney you will find that there a few things that just don't appeal, or are not worth doing at this time. Honestly, Universal Studios and SeaWorld are worth it. Busch Gardens is a must if you like roller coasters.

Quoting LHboyatDTW (Reply 19):
yep. Pretty much anything you can do there you can do at your nearest zoo except for a 3D movie and a roller coaster. Other than that, not much.

Too true, we only spent half a day there after originally envisaging to spend a day, although to be fair that was 9 years ago so things may have become different since then.

[Edited 2008-02-06 03:11:53]

[Edited 2008-02-06 03:12:17]

TedTAce

Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:29 pm

my girlfriend

So now that we know Hito is a bottom....

LOTS of the 2 C's....

CASH

Condoms!!!

It's almost impossible to not have a good time there. Just relish the fact you are not dragging kids around... yet.

aerobalance

Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:11 pm

I'm a Disney Vacation Club Member. I do enjoy the Disneyworld resort - however - The Palms, Magnolia golf courses always get the most attention from me.

N1120A

Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:15 pm

Drew, you are going to hate me for this. I get to go to all the Disney parks for free now  Wink

AC320

Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:16 pm

Quoting FXramper (Reply 14):
Animal Kingdom overated

If you have the park hopper option, it's nice to get there early (right after opening) and ride Expedition Everest a few times before the lines get too long and then move on to another park. I actually find the park a bit relaxing and laid back.

Wolfgang Puck Express in Downtown Disney is a nice place to grab a quick meal at a fair price.

Kieron747

Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:08 pm

I've never been there. However I'll wager that they have large enough bathroom mirrors for you to take snaps of yourself in.

biggrin 

Enjoy!

K

Jetsgo

Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:36 pm

We're also going for our first time in May. However we decided to save a buck and stay at the Sheraton Vistana. It looks really nice, but since it is about 3 miles out, it's quite a bit cheaper.

Does anyone have any advice on where to find reasonably priced Disneyworld tickets? Four, four day park hopper tickets is right at about $1000 everywhere I look.  crazy 

BCAInfoSys

Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:59 pm

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 31):
Does anyone have any advice on where to find reasonably priced Disneyworld tickets? Four, four day park hopper tickets is right at about $1000 everywhere I look.

Disney isn't cheap. But be wary of the booths and online locations which promise "discount Disney tickets". Almost all of them are counterfeit or stolen. It's just not worth the risk. I always suck it up and go through Disney directly.

iairallie

Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:12 am

Does anyone have any advice on where to find reasonably priced Disneyworld tickets? Four, four day park hopper tickets is right at about $1000 everywhere I look.

Try COSTCO in MCO I recall that they have them in the gift certificates are. I know you used to be able to get a great deal on annual and semi-annual Universal passes.

You many want to do a cost benefit analysis to see if an annual/seasonal/or semi annual pass might be less expensive for you. There are also extra perks to being an annual pass holder.

AKLDELNonstop

Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:56 am

Hi FXRamper,

I worked at WDW for two months in their college program, so I maybe able to assist you with any questions you may have.
Firstly, Wilderness Lodge from all accounts is excellent.

As for the parks, if you have already bought a park hopper(which I think you have) then you should see all of them as you have already paid for it. Since you have 5 days my suggested viewing order is

Day 1: Magic Kingdom - Whole Day (including Wishes fireworks at Night) The fireworks is not to be missed, its exactly like the photo you have put up in your post. Usually its at 8pm but later on Saturdays. Rides not to be missed at MK include Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain (it should have re-opened by then). Good Dining places at MK include the Plaza, Liberty Tree Tavern and Cinderella's Royal Table. Avoid Crystal Palace, the food is average. Also if you wish to see the Dreams Come True Parade, the best place to see it is at Frontier Land near Splash Mountain. The Parade begins here and you will usually not have to find a spot an hour in advance to view it.

Day 2: EPCOT - Rides not to be missed are Soarin, Mission Space and Test Track. You can ignore Spaceship Earth if you like. But EPCOT is really more about the World Pavillions and for the most part they are really nice. Shows not to be missed are the shows at Morrocan Pavillion, the Drum show in Japan, the show by Children just outside Chinese Pavillion and O' Canada. For lunch I would recommend the Cafe (not the restaurant) at the Morroccan Pavillion and for dinner The Nine Dragons at the Chinese Pavillion. Also not to be missed is Illuminations at 9 pm. This is a fireworks/lightshow that is held over the man made lake.

Day 3: Morning: Disney's Hollywood Studios (previously known as MGM Studios) - Great rides include Rockin Roller Coaster by Aerosmith and Tower of Terror. Shows not to be missed are the Car Show (I think its called Indy Speedway - cant remember) and the Indiana Jones show. Watch Fantasmic before you leave this park. Its a Disney wonder.
Evening: Head to Downtown Disney for shopping at the World of Disney Store. Other major shops include Virgin Megastore, Ghirardelli, Planet Hollywood, Art of Disney and Lego. For dinner I recommend Rainforest Cafe. After dinner watch La Nouba at Cirque du Soleil. I found the show to be absolutely fantastic. If you want to go clubbing after that check out House of Blues (great on a Sunday night as all Disney College Program cast members are there) or 8TRAX.

Day 4: Morning: Animal Kingdom - Well pretty much only because you paid for all the parks. The only decent rides are Everest and Dinoland. Kali River Rapids is also good but too short in my opinion. See Finding Nemo show and goto Kilimanjaro Safari. Lunch at Yak and Yeti.
Evening: Go to Downtown Disney again and take a cab to Orlando Premium Outlets. Factory outlets for many brand names at fantastic prices. This is where I spent the bulk of my paychecks. You could have dinner on International Drive which has many restaurants or if you have paid for ALL your meals then I recommend having dinner at Disney's Polynesian Resort.

Day 5: Well you could either see any of the parks that you have liked the most or go shopping. Or if you are a roller coaster fan I suggest making a day trip to Busch Gardens at Tampa, which have fantastic roller coasters.

Transportation Tip: Disney runs free buses from all resorts to all parks and Downtown Disney. However, buses do not run directly from ANY theme park to Downtown Disney ( I dont know why). To go to Downtown Disney from a theme park you have to take a bus from any one of the resorts. Not necessarily yours.

If you have any further questions or clarifications do ask. And have a great trip. Its a fantastic place.

Cheers
AKLDELNonstop

[Edited 2008-02-07 03:06:55]

AKLDELNonstop

Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:05 am

We're also going for our first time in May. However we decided to save a buck and stay at the Sheraton Vistana. It looks really nice, but since it is about 3 miles out, it's quite a bit cheaper.

Sheraton Vistana is about 7 miles from Magic Kingdom but pretty close to Downtown Disney. However, this should not be an issue as most non-Disney hotels tend to offer shuttle service to Magic Kingdom. However, if you goto one of the other parks you will have to come back to MK to gewt your ride back unless you want to cab it.

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 24):
Dinner at Ohana's at the Polynesian Resort.

Absolutely fantastic. I went there on my last day as a Disney Cast Member and it was truly amazing.

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 24):
Fantasmic show- Best in the World (Disney World that is). I

Agreed again. A very different type of a show.

Four, four day park hopper tickets is right at about $1000 everywhere I look.

Unfortunately thats what they cost.

Quoting BCAInfoSys (Reply 32):
But be wary of the booths and online locations which promise "discount Disney tickets".

Never ever buy a Disney Park ticket from an unauthorised location. They will NOT work at the turnstiles. The turnstiles use biometric scanning and tickets cannot be interchanged.

Cheers

Boeing74741R

Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:09 pm

Hi JetsGo

We stayed at the Sheraton Vistana back in 1999, and I can affirm it is a really good resort. If it's as good now as it was 9 years ago, your saved buck will be worth it. Even though it's 3 miles out from the Disney site as a whole it is really easy to get to from where it's located (and I-4 is nearby too) so you should have no problems at all.

Have a good time!  bigthumbsup 

fxramper
Topic Author

Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:02 pm

I'm hearing a lot about Expedition Everest at the Animal Kingom. Is it the best ride at the park? Do we get any special fast passes staying at the Wilderness Lodge? What about extended park hours for resort guests, can anyone confirm exact times?

Quoting BCAInfoSys (Reply 32):
I always suck it up and go through Disney directly.

I bought the package through the Disney website.  yes 

wingnut767

Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:20 pm

The Wilderness lodge is nice. The one thing I can recommend is that if you want to eat at the popular places I would make the reservations ahead of time. (407) WDW-DINE (939-3463. They will fill up even before you get there. Also do not forget that the Florida summer heat will be getting into full swing. Somedays it is good to leave the park and go back to your pool and stay cool and then return to a park in the evening. If you have any more questions let me know.

LHboyatDTW

Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:58 pm

ooh I almost forgot!!

Try looking at taking advantage of their Magical Express if given the opportunity. It's a type of tag you receive a few days before your departure that you place with your checked luggage while on your way to MCO. When you arrive at MCO, you don't need to wait for your bags since some "cast members" head to the airport and pick it up for you only to have your suticase(s) arrive at your hotel room soon after your arrival. On the way back, you can check in for your flight at your hotel and cast members take it to the airport for them to be dropped off for your flight.

It works for most if not all U.S. airlines. I tried it the last time I went to WDW and it certainly made life much easier. I'm sure there is a small fee for it, but it is well worth it.

Toast

Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:12 am

Went to Disney World in 1985 or 86. Epcot was still almost brand new and it was a stunning experience. Other than that, I ate ice cream and puked on a roller coaster.  yuck 

However, even as a kid I was FAR more impressed by Cape Canaveral and the Everglades than by Disney World. It was the heyday of space shuttles and I'm pretty sure my fascination with flight began at the NASA center during that summer of 85 or 86.

Honestly, I'll probably never go to Disney World again, but I'll certainly revisit Cape Canaveral and take a ride across those alligator-infested marshes. Even if I had kids, Disney World would come a distant third among places I'd show them in Florida.

twocents