Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

727LOVER
Topic Author

NY Vs Boston... Is Superbowl Payback?

Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:44 pm

When a Bostonian meets a New Yorker, they always throw it in their face about the Yankees debacle against the Red Sox in 2004.

Two examples:

Actor Matt Damon wearing a Red Sox uniform in front of a largely NY crow on Letterman

Ex Mass Gov Mitt Romney lording it over ex-NY mayor Rudy Guiliani at a debate.

Does the Superbowl absolve NY of its sports shame? (excluding the Knicks).

Not only did the NY team beat the Boston team, it stopped the Boston team from PERFECTION.

Is that payback?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

jetjack74

RE: NY Vs Boston... Is Superbowl Payback?

Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:16 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Thread starter):
Is that payback?

No, the Pats played a crappy game and Eli Manning came through in the clutch
Made from jets!

iflyatldl

Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:38 pm

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 1):
Is that payback?

No, the Pats played a crappy game and Eli Manning came through in the clutch

checkmark 

Pretty much what happened. Brady got sacked that first time and since then he really didn't have his game on. I would have loved to have seen the Pats win, but it just wasn't in the cards!
Ah, Summer, Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox and Beer.....

Moose135

Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:19 pm

As a big Giant fan, I was thrilled to see them beat the Patriots. As an even bigger Met fan, I have no problem with what the Sox did to the Yankees, no payback required.  Big grin
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

FlyDeltaJets87

Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:14 am

As a Yankees/Giants fan, I say it does.  biggrin 

Not only did the NY team beat the Boston team, it stopped the Boston team from PERFECTION.

I think this will hurt more for that reason. Plus, after beating the Yankees, Boston was probably more focused on winning the World Series, whereas the Giants stopped the Patriots on the home stretch. I don't think it would have even been as big of a deal if the Giants beat the Pats in the regular season and wrecked it then and the Giants never made it to the Super Bowl.

In the case of the Super Bowl, the Patriots were and probably are the better team. But this Sunday (and really the whole playoffs for the Giants) was a case of "Any Given Sunday". I'm still convinced the Giants and Pats play each other ten times, the Pats take 8 or 9 of the game. But not this past Sunday. The Giants showed up with more heart, and that's why they won. They wanted it more. Plus, with the 2004 ALCS, when the Sox came back to make it 3-3, a lot of people could see the handwriting on the wall. With the Giants-Pats, it was a true upset that not too many people predicted.

(excluding the Knicks).

I couldn't care less about pro-basketball. When giving some Pats fan crap about the game last Sunday, he tried to redirect with "well, how are the Knicks doing?" I was able to respond with the fact that I don't care about basketball at all.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

allstarflyer

Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:20 am

I think your question is basically which was a bigger facial . . .

- down 3-0 to your archnemesis and having not won a WS for over 80 years only to do so in the greatest dramatic comeback fashion possible and going on to win the WS, or

-being the complete underdog against a team gunning for perfection on the greatest stage in sports and winning

It's tough to rule against the comeback that the "cursed" BoSox pulled against the perennial winner and archnemesis NY, but if there's one thing that sports fans in NY could use to counter that against Boston sports fans, this is it.

In short, IMO, a few years down the road, neither will be judged greater than the other - they're both unstoppable facials on each other - one, the 1st to overcome 0-3 in the playoffs against their greatest foe, the other, making a perfect season go to waste in the big game. I just love watching NY and Boston duke it out, and though I probably cheered a lot more for the BoSox on the Yanks, it would have been lousy to hear Boston fans brag about their pro sports supremacy. If you put a gun to my head, I'd say the Giants win was bigger, but that may be only because it's fresher in my mind.
Living the American Dream

KROC

Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:35 am

I don't think this is payback. While Football is the most popular game in the States and the Super Bowl is an unofficial National Holiday, the Yankees/Redsox rivaly is arguably the best, most heated rivalry in sports today. I think any Yankee/NY Fan would agree in saying that the Giants beating the Pats does not make up for 2004, 2007, and everything else in-between.