Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

swiftski
Topic Author

Isle Of Man Immigration

Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:38 am

All,

UK Immigration tell me that I cannot get a UK passport stamp in my UK passport. Fair enough. I've asked at LHR a few times as I spent a lot of my last few years living abroad and quite fancied a "home" stamp.

I might go to IOM in a couple of months and wonder about being stamped there.

Looking at the below info, and wondering if IOM will be able to get me a passport stamp, I get confused.

------------------

External relations
Under British law, the Isle of Man is not part of the United Kingdom. However, the UK takes care of its external and defence affairs, and retains paramount power to legislate for the Island.

Citizenship
Citizenship is covered by UK law, and Manx people are classed as British citizens, although those without a grandparent born in the UK (or who have not lived continuously for a period of five or more years in the UK) do not have the same rights as other British citizens with regard to employment and establishment in the European Union.

European Union
The Isle of Man holds neither membership nor associate membership of the European Union. Protocol Three of the treaty of accession of the United Kingdom permits trade for Manx goods without tariffs.[10] In conjunction with the Customs and Excise agreement with the UK, this facilitates free trade with the UK. While Manx goods can be freely moved within the EU, people, capital and services cannot. EU citizens are entitled to travel and reside in the Island without restriction.

-----------------

"Under British law, the Isle of Man is not part of the United Kingdom" - Suggests a stamp would be possible, due to exiting the UK and arriving somewhere else.

"Citizenship is covered by UK law" - Suggests a stamp wouldn't.

"The Isle of Man holds neither membership nor associate membership of the European Union" - Suggests a stamp would be possible due to exiting the EU and arriving somewhere else.

Does anyone have any concrete info/experiences to share?

Thanks!

mhodgson

RE: Isle Of Man Immigration

Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:21 pm

Last time I arrived there domestically my passport wasn't even checked, so I doubt there will be any oppurtunity to have your passport stamped, unless you arrive on an international flight - and I don't think IOM has any with the exception of charters.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

swiftski
Topic Author

Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:26 pm

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 1):
unless you arrive on an international flight

This is exactly my confusion because:

Quoting Swiftski (Thread starter):
Under British law, the Isle of Man is not part of the United Kingdom

so by definition ALL flights are international?!

ba757gla

Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:30 pm

You could always ask . Can you a stamp for ireland?

swiftski
Topic Author

Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:49 pm

Quoting Ba757gla (Reply 3):
You could always ask . Can you a stamp for ireland?

Yes I have a DUB stamp.

skidmarks

Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:44 pm

As a resident of the Isle of Man and a Manx passport holder, I can categorically state you will NOT get a Manx stamp, sorry. When you arrive at the airport you will go straight through to baggage collection without, unless there is another foot and mouth scare, seeing any sort of authority whatsoever.

Yes, the Isle of Man is part of the British Isle and not the UK, and yes, you do need a workpermit if you wanted to work here, but there is no customs or immigration checks other then arrivals from overseas - the few charters and the Geneva flight now operated by JE ( I think it's Geneva, somewhere foreign anyway!)

There isn't even any passport control for flights from Eire AFAIK. The customs chappy comes up from the metroplis of Douglas when required, as do CID and the sniffer dogs.

If you want to take pictures or go anywhere, drop me a line and I'll point you in the right directions. Sadly, as I am working on the big island at the moment (England) I'll not be there to give you the Cooks tour.

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

ALexeu

Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:53 pm

Quoting Swiftski (Reply 2):
so by definition ALL flights are international?!

Theoreticly yes, but I.O.M. is part of CTA (common travel area) along with UK, Ireland and Channel Islands, which means that flights are threated as domestic.