Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tsaord
Topic Author

Amy Winehouse!

Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:59 am

Won 5 of 6 Grammys tonight. The 6th, Album of the year went to Herbie Hancock.

Amy did a good job with her performance at 3am lol. I was happy for her. I enjoyed the show this year than previous years.
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

TSS

RE: Amy Winehouse!

Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:07 am

Quoting Tsaord (Thread starter):
Amy did a good job with her performance at 3am lol. I was happy for her. I enjoyed the show this year than previous years.

Yep, and she seemed genuinely surprised and thrilled when she won the last one.

Say what you (and the tabloids) will about her personal life, that little girl sings from the heart and knows first-hand what she sings about.

Congratulations on the awards Ms. Winehouse, you earned them!  champagne 
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

radarbeam

Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:08 am

Blah...she's a drug addict skank.

lgbga

Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:14 am

I thought the show was good, like you said better than a lot of years. I loved The Time and Rihanna's performance. I used to love the Time back in the day. I also liked Kid Rock and the older lady singing together, don't remember her name.

Quoting Tsaord (Thread starter):
Amy did a good job with her performance at 3am

It was a great performance. She looked pretty good. I did notice she kept mentioning "Blake" so I guess they are still together even though there have been reports of her with her ex. I love her backup singers.

mal787

Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:17 am

Quoting Radarbeam (Reply 2):

Ohh dear some ones doesn't like Amy and her personal life. But hey fella she is good at what she does and obviously others agree. so skank or no skank she got what she deserves. I dont like drugs either but at the same time I try not to judge, if I did I would hate half of the singers and actors out there .

mal787
BN2 Metro, 402,404, Conquest, king air, 707,727.200, 732,733,734,735,736,738,757,762,763,742,743,744, MD11, DC9,Westwind

TSS

Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:19 am

Quoting TSS (Reply 1):
Say what you (and the tabloids) will about her personal life...

Well that certainly didn't take long.

She won the awards for her singing and songwriting abilities, not for how she may or may not conduct her personal life nor for her less-than-goody-two-shoes physical appearance.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

tsaord
Topic Author

Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:22 am

That is what draws people to her music and similar artist, they have issues and they seem like real people and flawed. She is not the first person to be on drugs. But it looks as though she is getting good help. I thought her performances wasn't going to work but I loved it. If she could get my granny and mother to move about tonight she has got it lol. My granny kept asking me who she was after she won.

As bad as it sounds people who sing about their pain makes great music. We all go though something but we love to "judge" the famous ones!

skyyblue

Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:27 am

Quoting TSS (Reply 5):
She won the awards for her singing and songwriting abilities, not for how she may or may not conduct her personal life nor for her less-than-goody-two-shoes physical appearance.

Well said, well said!

Who are you to judge?

Amy is my favorite singer, but this was not her best live performance. I hated how she kept throwing Blake into her songs lol. Jesus woman, we get it! My mom thought she seemed a little 'off' or weird. I agreed. I love her though and I am happy for her victory! Shocked she didn't win the Album of the Year award.

GQfluffy

Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:11 am

Quoting TSS (Reply 5):
She won the awards for her singing

For that voice?  ill  I'd rather listen to fingernails on a chalk board...
This isn't where I parked my car...

LASoctoberB6

Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:08 am

Quoting TSS (Reply 5):
Well that certainly didn't take long.

I was expecting to find that post within the first 3..

She did a good job, but that song drives me nuts, thanks to some people in UCA...  Smile
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

OHLHD

Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:54 am

She is not dead yet?  duck 

Her voice is not too bad but I do not like her music.

fxramper

Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:00 am

Now and then.

Amazing voice, excellent talent. I hope the help she's getting now works out.

N1120A

Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:22 am

I am not really a fan, but the music community sure seems to be, and I definitely don't think people should be taking pot shots at the poor girl. She needs help and is hopefully getting some. Much more into Feist when it comes to this year's crop of singer-songwriter women.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

jush

Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:20 am

checkmark 

absolutely add to that that her music is absolute rubbish. Wheter it's from her heart or not. I can't stand her yodeling.

Regds
jush
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

kmh1956

Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:05 pm

Quoting SKYYBLUE (Reply 7):
but this was not her best live performance

I thought that while she was performing, she seemed OK but when she finished she looked very unsure of herself...almost as though she expected to get booed offstage or something.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

luv2fly

Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:34 pm

Quoting FXramper (Reply 11):
Now and then.

My God she use to be HOT, and this coming from a gay man. Now I look at her and see heroin chic.
You can cut the irony with a knife

ltbewr

Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:48 pm

She won for 'Best New Artist'. That is often a kiss of death to a music career. While I like her distinctive music style, I do have problems with her drug and personal issues, that she shouldn't have been allowed to enter the USA, and she sets a bad example for young women.

SBBRTech

Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:00 pm

Quoting FXramper (Reply 11):
Now and then.

Eew! Is that the same girl at all ??
The difference between pics looks worse than those tele-shop "before-and-after" crap adds.
"I'm beginning to get the hang of this flying business" - C3PO

radarbeam

Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:10 pm

Quoting TSS (Reply 5):

I don't care when "celebrities" do their crap beyond closed doors. However when it becomes their trademark, that's when it becomes a problem. Oh and IMHO her songs are bad enough, her vocal cords are made up of cheese grater parts and, well, she's ugly.

Yeah, let's talk about her on-stage performance.  faint   yuck   Big grin

RayChuang

Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:47 pm

I think the sad part about Amy Winehouse is that while we all admit she's a really good artist, her innumerable off-stage problems could turn her into a one-album hit wonder.  Sad If I were her publicist I would get her into serious rehab for at least six months before going out into the public again.

BR715-A1-30

Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:00 pm

Quoting Lgbga (Reply 3):
and the older lady singing together,

Sheryl Crow would be disappointed, LOL

Not to be mean, but who is Amy Winehouse? Is she another Britney Spears? I wish B.S. (hey, what a coincidence.. B.S. also stands for BULLSHIT) would drop off the face of the earth...
Puhdiddle

yooyoo

Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:07 pm

Her band was good, i love the music, as for her voice, it's average at best.  twocents 
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

DrP

Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:07 pm

Quoting RayChuang (Reply 19):
one-album hit wonder.

She's been around for a while longer in the UK, Back to Black is her second album, Frank was the first which was also excellent. I think anyone who is told they're the 'next big thing' enough times will start to believe it and the pressure became too much for her. Lets hope she gets better as she is also an excellent song-writer as well as singer  Smile
My pony plays the mamba . .

IFEMaster

Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:29 pm

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 8):
I'd rather listen to fingernails on a chalk board...

checkmark  I can't see what the big deal is. There are far better artists than her that truly appreciate the artform that go unrecognized.

Having said that, the Grammys have been one big industry love-in for years now. Heck, any ceremony that can give an award to James "rhyming slang" Blunt loses all credibility.

As Sting once said; "Music is its own reward". Never a truer word spoken.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

aerobalance

Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:04 pm

I like her stuff, good music, sultry sounding.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

tsaord
Topic Author

Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:26 pm

Quoting BR715-A1-30 (Reply 20):
Is she another Britney Spears?

Britany has mental issues, Amy got hooked on drugs like a lot of other great artist before her but she is in rehab now. The major difference between the two is that Amy Winehouse is a much better singer and artist and would kick Britany in the river on any day of the week. She not the first artist to have issues she human just like everyone but she is getting judged because she is in the music industry.

She won 5 of her 6 grammys, Song of the year(song writer), record of the year(actual song), best new artist(out of those nominated she was the best), pop vocal performance, and pop vocal album. The 6th one Album of the year went to Herbie Hancock.

rfields5421

Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:47 pm

Is she another Britney Spears?

No, even at her drug-addled worst - Amy is many levels of magnitude better than Britney on her best day.

I don't like her songs, I don't like her band - but Amy can sing !!!!!!

I'm afraid she's going to be just like one of my favorite singers - another drug addict skank - Janis Joplin - dead before she's 30 with an amazing legacy of songs - enough to bring a tear to your eye at the lost potential and wasted life.
Not all who wander are lost.

lgbga

Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:55 pm

Quoting Lgbga (Reply 3):
and the older lady singing together,

Sheryl Crow would be disappointed, LOL

Are you joking? Not that song. He sang on the Grammys last night. He sang "That Old Black Magic" with legendary jazz singer Keely Smith. He didn't sound great but I thought it was cool that he did something so different from what he usually does.

GDB

Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:12 pm

FXramper's pic just shows how she went from an attractive young woman, who looked to be ALL woman, to a crack whore look.
When the pic on the left was released, I did not know who she was at first.
She has claimed that her 'weight loss' was due to stopping smoking weed and then getting the munchies, missing out what she had supplemented/replaced weed with.........

But yes, she is very talented, it's not my sort of music, but talent is talent.

Many seem to think hooking up with that husband of hers, (a posh git who thinks he's some kind of 'Gangsta'), is the cause.
Maybe, but that's to let her off the hook (or needle).

Flighty

Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:21 pm

Quoting Aerobalance (Reply 24):
I like her stuff, good music, sultry sounding.

I think so too. She really has something going on.

Quoting RFields5421 (Reply 26):
No, even at her drug-addled worst - Amy is many levels of magnitude better than Britney on her best day.

Well yeah. I wasn't a "fan" until seeing a TV concert of Amy Winehouse over the weekend. Man, there is something about her and her style. Try to expect the "predictable" phrase, and she always does it better, off the cuff. She doesn't need to try hard, she's not selling you anything.

She is what she is,,, and a lot of people like her. Almost get the feeling we'll be talking about her many years from now. Maybe.

MaverickM11

Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:39 pm

Who are you to judge?

Well she *is* a drug addict, and she certainly seems to not groom herself ever, and I've never touched a drug and regularly shower, so I think I, and most people, are in a good position to judge her. Her music, however, is pretty great.
I don't take responsibility at all

Bongodog1964

Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:52 pm

Quoting Tsaord (Reply 25):
Amy got hooked on drugs like a lot of other great artist before her but she is in rehab now.

Just like Britney, Amy seems to be under the impression that rehab is some form of weekend break, her record for sticking with it is about 5 days.

slider

Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:32 pm

I hated how she kept throwing Blake into her songs lol.

That’s part of her substance abuse problem…classic co-dependence. That dude needs to stay in jail, she needs to be free of him and that enabling influence. It would be a damn shame to see someone so talented just waste away, literally and figuratively.

Not to be mean, but who is Amy Winehouse? Is she another Britney Spears?

In terms of drama, yes. But unlike the talentless Britney, Amy Winehouse has some amazing pipes and has real talent for singing and songwriting.

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 31):
Just like Britney, Amy seems to be under the impression that rehab is some form of weekend break, her record for sticking with it is about 5 days

They tried to make her go to rehab, she said no, no, no.

LOL!

steeler83

Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:36 pm

For that voice? I'd rather listen to fingernails on a chalk board...

Agreed -- I ran over squirrels that had better singing voices!

Song of the year should have gone to Plain-White T's, hand's down... Their song had meaning and had hope as the central theme, but I guess hollywood is more interested in idiotic scandalous crap about people either being violent and/or on drugs, or about going into rehab about violence/drugs.  sarcastic 

I do realize that most of the singers out there did drugs at some point. My favorite group is the Beatles. Enough said...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

lobster

Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:00 pm

Perfect!! But let me add I think she's fugly too

Who are you to judge?

So only those that like her are allowed to voice their opinions? Your judging her by saying you like her, no? So then really, who are YOU to judge her?

For that voice? ill I'd rather listen to fingernails on a chalk board...

checkmark  I shudder whenever that God awful "rehab" song comes on. yuk!!

skyyblue

Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:08 am

Quoting Lobster (Reply 34):
So only those that like her are allowed to voice their opinions? Your judging her by saying you like her, no? So then really, who are YOU to judge her?

Yeah sure How is saying I enjoy her music, judging her??? If you don't like her, great... Could care less... But what does her music have to do with being a "drug addict skank" ??? NOTHING.

lobster

Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:24 am

Quoting SKYYBLUE (Reply 35):
But what does her music have to do with being a "drug addict skank" ??? NOTHING.

Isn't that half the shit she sings about? Or that rehab song about someone else?

Either way, if you like someone, you obviously came to that conclusion by judging them, so you have nothing to say about someone who doesn't like her for judging them. It's the same thing.

Fantikerz

Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:33 am

Quoting TSS (Reply 1):
Say what you (and the tabloids) will about her personal life, that little girl sings from the heart and knows first-hand what she sings about.

checkmark 

I heard her music before I saw her photos, and I could seriously care less. Her music is good, hence why she won the awards. If you want to see people winning awards on looks, watch Miss Universe, or something like that.

Fantikerz

SBBRTech

Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:24 pm

Yesterday I was watching the news and they said she didn't sing at the Grammys 'cos she was denied an US entry visa ! I wouldn't say she's a menance to society or that she'd be staying after the visa expired...why would they avoid her in the country?
"I'm beginning to get the hang of this flying business" - C3PO

Bongodog1964

Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:56 pm

Quoting SBBRTech (Reply 38):
Yesterday I was watching the news and they said she didn't sing at the Grammys 'cos she was denied an US entry visa ! I wouldn't say she's a menance to society or that she'd be staying after the visa expired...why would they avoid her in the country?

Because every dope head found dead in a hotel room creates a lot of hassle

slider

Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:03 pm

That's the hypocrisy of the whole thing--they won't allow an entertainer in on a work visa, but they'll issue visas unchecked to people from terrorist sponsoring nations. Go figure.

jcs17

Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:06 pm

Nice...

America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

NeilYYZ

Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:12 pm

Who are you to judge?

Well, there's really no question she's a drug addict. As to her being a skank, I don't know about her sexual proclivities.

I'd rather listen to fingernails on a chalk board...

Me too.

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 15):
Now I look at her and see heroin chic.

It's hard not to see that. She certainly looks like a person whose strung out most of the time.

Quoting Slider (Reply 32):

They tried to make her go to rehab, she said no, no, no.

Exactly. I really can't stand the lyrics in that song, it's so damn repetitive.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

AGM100

Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:17 pm

I can not imagine seeing my daughter in this condition.. what a heart breaking situation. How freaking cool ! another representative for the chaos of our society .. Sad.
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

GDB

Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:36 pm

Keith Richards of the Stones once said (and back in the day, he'd know), that the height of bad manners is turning blue in someone else's bathroom .
Hopefully, Amy won't get to that state, but prolonged hard drug abuse, I suspect Crack in particular, rots the teeth, as we can see from that pic above.

rfields5421

Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:21 pm

Her initial visa request was denied because of her criminal record and publicly acknowledge dependence upon drugs. (Checking into drug rehab does count as a public acknowledgement).

The criminal record includes a drug arrest and confession in Norway.

She is currently out on bail without charges involving an assault on someone last summer. The charge is apparently related to her husband being suspect of offering to pay the victim of the assault 200,000 pounds to drop the charges. She is apparently her husband's only source of income. He remains in jail and she is due to submit to police questioning in a few weeks. There is no information about her conditions of release but you have to assume there are some restrictions or requirement for foreign travel.

That record would be enough to keep any normal person from receiving a tourist visa to the US.

An appeal of the routine, justified denial was made and based upon who she is and that she would only be in the US a few days and highly unlikely to be involved in criminal activity - the denial was overturned and a visa granted about 72 hours before the Grammy Awards were scheduled to air.

However, Winehouse or her 'managers' declined to travel to the US for the awards show/ performance.
Not all who wander are lost.

steeler83

Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:57 pm

Quoting Lobster (Reply 34):
Perfect!! But let me add I think she's fugly too

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 41):
Nice...

Beautiful! She reminds me of a few babes I waited on while working the Midnight shift the one time at a Pittsburgh-Southside convenience store...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

KPDX

Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:41 am

Just my 2 cents and opinion, and of course all the Winehouse lovers will attack me.

-She is a horrible singer
-She cant seem to control her life whatsoever
-She looks like a tranny (now anyways)

duck 

KPDX  

[Edited 2008-02-12 20:42:24]

AA777

Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:15 am

Quoting KPDX (Reply 47):

-She is a horrible singer

Disagree, Disagree, Disagree. Amy is a wonderful singer- she has SOUL and a deep, throaty, lounge singer sound. ALL that voice from someone so small! Its amazing.

Its true that she wasnt in control before...she was on drugs and what not. But she has been in rehab now for some time, and look at her. She looked GREAT at her grammy performance. Her hair was in its great/ signature beehive shape, she had on a cute little black dress, her face looked clear and had emotion. She was speaking clearly during her acceptance speech... I give her a ten!

-AA777

fxramper

Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:29 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 15):
My God she use to be HOT

So sad. She still has a great voice.

Quoting KPDX (Reply 47):

Agree 100%. Poor girl.