Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KaiGywer
Topic Author

Does Anybody Use Vonage?

Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:31 pm

I am thinking of signing up for Vonage this summer. Since I might spend the summer in Norway, I figured it would be a good idea to get Vonage in order to have a US phone number while I'm there. Does anybody have experience with Vonage? Also, would anybody like two months free for referring me?  Silly

WildcatYXU

RE: Does Anybody Use Vonage?

Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:48 pm

I do have Vonage (the Canadian version). Originally it was absolutely fine, now I have some sound quality issues - however it may be caused by the kind of phones we use with it. I just haven't had time to investigate what's going on.
The Canadian version is more expensive than yours, however it's still the cheapest land line around.

KFLLCFII

Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:12 pm

Glad this thread is still new, so I can get in my public service announcement...

***All users of internet-based phone providers, make sure to keep your physical location updated with your provider, so the correct Public Safety Answering Point receives your call if you dial 911 (US)***

You don't want to be in, say, L.A. with an emergency, and you get your hometown Saginaw, Michigan Police Department on the line because you didn't tell your provider you were travelling.  Wink

You may now continue with your regularly-scheduled programming...

KaiGywer
Topic Author

Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:20 pm

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 2):
Glad this thread is still new, so I can get in my public service announcement...

***All users of internet-based phone providers, make sure to keep your physical location updated with your provider, so the correct Public Safety Answering Point receives your call if you dial 911 (US)***

You don't want to be in, say, L.A. with an emergency, and you get your hometown Saginaw, Michigan Police Department on the line because you didn't tell your provider you were travelling. Wink

You may now continue with your regularly-scheduled programming...

Yeah I don't think I'd need to call 911 while in Norway  Silly

Dougloid

Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:23 pm

At what it cost Vonage to acquire each new subscriber it's a wonder they're still in business.

http://www.247wallst.com/2008/02/earnings-prev-2.html

SOBHI51

Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:16 pm

I have it here in Riyadh and it's great.

jetblueguy22

Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:11 pm

My dad had it for his business. It worked pretty well but they had several outage issues and had to dump it. If you are just getting it for personal use I would highly recommend it. They have a lot of good features and a good rate.
Blue

mia

Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:13 pm

We use Vonage at home. And I must admit it is great. All their features are really awesome and good. The only problem I have and why I will have to shut it down is their international calls do not connect. We will go for hours trying to connect and once it connects the people cant hear us.

flipdewaf

Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:18 pm

Works great for me but just don't have house mates that p2p while you want to use it. I give it 5 stars, especially with the cheap calls from the UK to overseas.

Fred

cfalk

Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:37 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 4):
At what it cost Vonage to acquire each new subscriber it's a wonder they're still in business.

They spend about $200-$300 per new customer, and their profit margin is only about $2 or $3 per month. You do the math. Their whole business model is based on spending a ton of money to acquire a whole lot of clients, and then selling out to a big buyer like AT&T or Sprint. But now with all the legal problems, nobody wants them. Oops.

I work at a competitor to Vonage, and our margins are a lot higher, because we own our own network, unlike Vonage which has to use Level 3. We also own our own technology, and nobody will be suing us.

I'd offer for you to sign on, but we are a wholesale operation - we provide the service to other companies like cable and ISP companies that want to offer VoIP service.

And yes, if you take the ATA device to Norway, you can save quite a bit on long distance.

Try signing up with MConnect. Basically it's their front end on top of our product, and unlike Vonage, in a year or two, we'll still be around, and our service quality and technology is far better.

http://www.mconnectinc.com/

swatpamike

Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:41 am

Hello All

I have used Lingo for the past 3 years and love it.

www.lingo.com

Cheers

swatpamike

COIAHLGW

Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:10 am

No Vonage problems, and I have been with them 7 months now. I have taken my VoIP box to England, to have seamless communication while on vacation. Just plugged right into my parents router. Bought an extra cloverleaf power cord as well, so I didn't have to plug into a converter (my power adapter for Vonage was dual voltage).

I'll give it 5 stars as well, for voice quality and features. And I can take my home phone number on vacation (is that really a good thing?!)

Advert over. Did you sign up yet?  Smile