Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aace24
Topic Author

Baltimore Cop Vs. 14 Year Old Skateboarder

Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:00 pm

Wow.....talk about a cop overreacting and being totally out of line.

ANC, I hope you don't patrol around in your golf cart shoving little kids to the ground.  

But seriously, talk about a power trip, I hope the fat ass gets fired.

"Don't get defensive with me, I'm not your father."   

[Edited 2008-02-13 04:02:57]

[Edited 2008-02-13 04:08:01]

LOT767-300ER

RE: Baltimore Cop Vs. 14 Year Old Skateboarder

Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:13 pm

This guy needs to go to jail for a long time.

Long time. And then he needs to be sent off to Stadion Wojska Polskiego and get his ass whooped and set on fire by a molotov cocktail.

I had to watch that 2x to believe it to be true. At first I thought this was some sort of joke, then I realized it was for real.

[Edited 2008-02-13 04:14:30]

itsjustme

Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:14 pm

Quoting AAce24 (Thread starter):

"Don't get defensive with me, I'm not your father."

And then just a short time later he asks the kid, "Son, what is your problem"?

Can't blame the cop too much, though. If I were forced to drive around in a Flinston Mobile while dressed like a giant bumblebee, I'd probably have some anger management issues, too.

LOT767-300ER

Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:15 pm

Oh yea follow up:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,330501,00.html

Guy was suspended...what, this bastard needs to rot in jail for abuse of power.
Why does this only happen when something like this surfaces on the net and never before?

LOT767-300ER

Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:17 pm

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 2):
And then just a short time later he asks the kid, "Son, what is your problem"?

Why is the cop calling him son if he cant call him dude? No way was this offensive in any way. The kid mumbled a word and this guy just blew up like Krakatoa.

EDIT:

The best part comes at the very end... "You got that camera on? If I find my self on You..." yea you did find yourself on YouTube you douchebag.

[Edited 2008-02-13 04:28:02]

Scorpio

Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:16 pm

That guy has some serious issues. Hell, he never even gave the kid the chance to be 'disrespectful'! He's treating the kid like he's some kind of terrible criminal. Guy needs to learn some perspective.

ORFflyer

Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:28 pm

Wonder if the Baltimore PD has emails addresses for their officers? We could all send him a copy of his 15 minutes of fame...  Wink

I'm normally 100% pro police. But in this case, with the known facts, it seems this guy is a real turd!

SOBHI51

Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:33 pm

I like the part when the officer asked the kid:What is your problem?Dah the problem is that officer attitude.

bwest

Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:35 pm

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 2):
If I were forced to drive around in a Flinston Mobile while dressed like a giant bumblebee, I'd probably have some anger management issues, too.

That's what I thought as well. What a lame outfit... shorts and some flashy top.

Anyway, attacking that kid with a choke hold for his skateboard, waw, he's the man alright. It's just so wrong.. even if those kids are disrespectful, that's no way to behave.

bristolflyer

Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:50 pm

''Are you from the county or something?'

Would someone from the area please inform us what is 'wrong' with being 'from the county'? I think this guy owes some apologies after he gets done with sorting the lost & found dept.

Funny, he seemed to be handling it fine for the first 15 secs, especially as I'm sure those kids knew they weren't allowed to ride there. Then it all went downhill.

On a side note, the cop is a big guy, and I often see motorcycle cops who are really big and don't look like they're capabale of giving chase to someone on foot - surely officers have to maintain certain levels of fitness?

bagpiper

Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:12 pm

At the same time, the kids (or the kid) were being idiots. You see a cop talking in your direction, you sure as hell listen up. Yeah, the officer did blow up in their faces, so they're both at fault, IMHO.

From what I've seen, skateboarders can be very disrespectful and rude, especially around here where they skateboard in shopping centers, right in front of the sign that says "no skateboarding". I wouldn't hesitate to call the cops on kids doing that, and have done it before when they are being disruptive - blocking the entrance and exit, etc.

Scorpio

Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:18 pm

Quoting Bagpiper (Reply 10):
You see a cop talking in your direction, you sure as hell listen up.

I don't see them 'not' listening. Hell, they never even get the chance not to listen! He blows up in their faces right out of the gate. From what I can see here, there's only one person at fault here, and that's the cop.

bagpiper

Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:27 pm

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 11):
I don't see them 'not' listening. Hell, they never even get the chance not to listen! He blows up in their faces right out of the gate. From what I can see here, there's only one person at fault here, and that's the cop.

Leaving iPod earphones in your head is not listening. Especially when, from what it looks like, their friends had listened, certainly the other kid noticed the cop, and that he was talking to them.

Anyways, chill out - I'm not saying the cop is doing straight A work.

Scorpio

Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:35 pm

Quoting Bagpiper (Reply 12):
Leaving iPod earphones in your head is not listening.

What if they simply didn't know they were being spoken to? The cop asked him to remove the earpiece once, and he did it. Those aren't the actions of a kid refusing to listen, they're the actions of someone who simply didn't realise they were being spoken to.

Quoting Bagpiper (Reply 12):
I'm not saying the cop is doing straight A work.

That must be the understatement of the year.

cfalk

Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:41 pm

Sure, the cop went too far, but the kids provoked him. I'd give the cop an administrative warning only. The kid needs a serious attitude adjustment.

SOBHI51

Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:44 pm

so they're both at fault

Can not see it that way at all.First you are dealing with 14 years old,second the kid wanted to speak to his mother,third you see a 250+pounds of angry police officer applying a choke hold on a 100- pounds.I did not include the fowl language that the officer used.I wonder what actions would that police officer would have taken facing a real criminal.Maybe shoot first ask questions later.
I have a lot of respects for police officers,it is a very dangerous job.But that officer was the bad apple in the crate.

BR715-A1-30

Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:59 pm

These kind of cops are the kind that give a bad name to hard working police officers. "I'm not MAN, I'm not DUDE, I am OFFICER RIVIERI!!!"

We got a cop in this town, when you ask him his name, he very curtly says "My name is Officer Bergan." However, One of the officers doesn't mind if we call him by his first name, because he knows that we understand he is a police officer, and he wants to be able to connect with the citizens. But "Officer Bergan" has a hard time connecting with citizens... He reminds me a lot of Salvatore Rivieri.

Scorpio

Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:00 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 14):
The kid needs a serious attitude adjustment.

For what? I don't see him doing anything wrong! In fact, I think the kid is staying remarkably calm given the outright abuse he's taking. The only person who needs an attitude adjustment here is the cop. And a big one at it!

[Edited 2008-02-13 07:04:29]

luv2fly

Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:06 pm

Quoting BristolFlyer (Reply 9):
On a side note, the cop is a big guy, and I often see motorcycle cops who are really big and don't look like they're capabale of giving chase to someone on foot - surely officers have to maintain certain levels of fitness?

To get hired yes, after that by the looks of the cops I see I would have to say no.

cfalk

Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:16 pm

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 17):
For what? I don't see him doing anything wrong! In fact, I think the kid is staying remarkably calm given the outright abuse he's taking. The only person who needs an attitude adjustment here is the cop. And a big one at it!

You call your school buddies 'Dude'. Not adults. Definately not cops. You call them 'sir'.

SOBHI51

Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:21 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 19):
You call your school buddies 'Dude'. Not adults. Definately not cops. You call them 'sir'.

Not with me.I will call him officer.But here you are dealing with a 14 year old teenager,Dud and Man is common used word by them and it is not insulting according to them.

Scorpio

Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:24 pm

You call your school buddies 'Dude'

The first time he said 'dude' was AFTER he had already been threadened to be thrown in juvenile, and after the cop had (for no apparent reason) threatened to smack the kid upside the head. Oh, and it was at a moment the cop was physically attacking him. The 'dude' that came out was the reaction of a kid baffled at the incredible attitude of the cop. When a 14 year-old has been threatened without decent reason, and is being attacked, the main thing on his mind is not 'how am I going to address the officer', you just blurt out the first thing that comes to your head.

bagpiper

Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:26 pm

Sure, the cop went too far, but the kids provoked him. I'd give the cop an administrative warning only. The kid needs a serious attitude adjustment.

I agree.

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 13):
What if they simply didn't know they were being spoken to? The cop asked him to remove the earpiece once, and he did it. Those aren't the actions of a kid refusing to listen, they're the actions of someone who simply didn't realise they were being spoken to.

Oh come on - he didn't know he was being spoken to? Well if that's honestly the case, maybe he needs to rework the whole skateboarding and music thing. However, I doubt that's the case. You're right - those actions are not the actions of a kid refusing to listen - they're the actions of a kid refusing to listen then realizing he pissed off a police officer way bigger than him who just took his skateboard away. Whether the officer was right or wrong, the kid shouldn't have provoked him.

Why didn't he give his name when asked multiple times? Why didn't he give his age, address when asked? Why did he resist what the officer was doing? Why did he say to the officer "you can't do that!"? Well, he just did kiddo, so live with it. Call the department later on and work out what happened - just don't piss off the guy.

I'm not sure why kids find it so hard to have a little respect for adults and police officers.

That said, again, I agree with you Scorpio on the fact that the officer shouldn't have blown up in the kids face. He should have stopped and taken a breath and calmly asked the kid to sit down, listen, and speak when spoken to. You may call your mom after we get this worked out.

Scorpio

Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:39 pm

Quoting Bagpiper (Reply 22):
Why didn't he give his name when asked multiple times?

He DID.

Why didn't he give his age, address when asked?

He DID.

Why did he resist what the officer was doing?

The cop never even asked him for the skateboard, he just immediately attacked the kid. Resisting is at that point nothing more than human nature.

Call the department later on and work out what happened - just don't piss off the guy.

The kid's 14. A 14 year-old doesn't think like that.

they're the actions of a kid refusing to listen then realizing he pissed off a police officer way bigger than him who just took his skateboard away. Whether the officer was right or wrong, the kid shouldn't have provoked him.

How did he even provoke him? I'm sorry, I just don't see it.

bagpiper

Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:44 pm

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 23):
He DID.

He DID.

Sorry, let me rephrase that, if we're going to pick nits. Why did the officer have to ask several times for the above information?

How did he even provoke him? I'm sorry, I just don't see it.

What should have been just a sigh and a simple shake of the head turned into a nuclear reactor for the officer - thats wrong. But, the kid should have listened, followed directions, and not ignored the officer in the first place.

luv2fly

Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:53 pm

Well I watched the video and have to say the kid was being a kid and the adult sunk to his level and acted the same.

Scorpio

Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:02 pm

Quoting Bagpiper (Reply 24):
Why did the officer have to ask several times for the above information?

Because the kid was too shaken / still trying to work out what exactly was happening after a barrage of threats and shouting to even fully realise he was being asked a question (sorry, a question was being shouted at him)?

I don't know if you've ever been in a situation where you're being verbally abused for no reason, but the first few seconds or minutes, your brain's doing little else than trying to work out exactly what's happening. The kid's reaction clearly points to that: he's still reacting to the abuse he's taking too much to even realise he's being asked a question. I've been in such a situation (not with a cop) and trust me, it's exactly how most people would react. Look at his reaction a few minutes later, after he has been 'asked' (for lack of a better word) to sit down (and when he seems to be over the initial shock). When he's asked the same questions, he immediately (and I must say surprisingly calmly) answers.

lincoln

Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:34 pm

Let's look at things from relative maturity here. The officer appears to be 30-40 years old, that teenager is 14. While the teen probably could have handled himself a little bit better the officer between age and status was well below the level of age/maturity I expect from a public official. He appears to be verbally and physically abusive without provocation.

If I'm talking to a teen, teen calls me "dude" and I tackle him 'cuz I don't like the way he's talking to me, I think its a relatively safe bet that the police would want to have a chat with me at the very least, plus the possibility of assult charges being filed.

The officer was clearly the one who escalated the situation -- the teens were not getting closer, nor were they trying to flee.

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 20):
Not with me.I will call him officer.But here you are dealing with a 14 year old teenager,Dud and Man is common used word by them and it is not insulting according to them.

While, of course, you aren't going to win friends by calling the officer "dude" if the officer becomes physically violent with that as the only provocation I dare say that a mental evaluation is in order if not anger management sessions. I would expect that the officer would face far more stressful situations and wonder if he may be prone to "shoot first, ask questions later"

But hey, at least he gives his name so the citizen(s) shouldn't have a problem identifying the "Bumblebee Officer named Riveria (sp?)" in a complaint

Lincoln

JRadier

Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:35 pm

Why did he say to the officer "you can't do that!"? Well, he just did kiddo, so live with it. Call the department later on and work out what happened - just don't piss off the guy.

If a police officer would do something he isn't entitled I'd be the one telling him. It might not be a common occurrence in the US, but I will stand up for my rights. If he would confiscate my skateboard (without a warrant) and take me in a headlock I'd be calling 112 (or 911 for the US guys here) to report theft and physical abuse by a police officer. The appropriate reaction would be to write me a ticket (or give me a warning).

Flighty

Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:50 pm

Quoting JRadier (Reply 28):
to report theft and physical abuse by a police officer. The appropriate reaction would be to write me a ticket (or give me a warning).

HAHAHHA

As shown recently in our country, a police officer is held to the same standards as normal citizens. The 4th or 5th time a police officer murders his wife, that's it. No more killing them. 4 or 5 is the limit. That police officer is going to jail for questioning. Just like any other citizen who kills 4 or 5 wives in a row.

No excuses. We treat our cops just like regular people.  Smile

agill

Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:01 pm

Cops like that should be kicked of the force. THere was no reason at all behave in such a bad manner like he did. Normally I'm very "pro cop", byt that was just a grown man picking on kids. Pathetic.

scbriml

Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:28 pm

FWIW, my take is as follows:

The kids are just being kids. They hardly look like the average "skater dudes" or troublemakers, and I'd rather bump in to them than some of the yoof we have hanging around on our streets.

I didn't see their attitude as being anything worse that surly, and, to the best of my knowledge, that isn't against the law.

The office is being a complete ass. Maybe he hadn't been laid in a while.

As for his attitude when called "dude" by a teenager, I'm frankly shocked. I would have expected a LEO of his experience (assumed from his age) to have been called far worse things. He really ought to be able to deal with it a whole lot better than he did.

As to those saying the kids should have shown him more respect, maybe if he'd behaved respectfully towards them, he would have been shown some in return. My experiences as a father of two teenage daughters taught me that if you upset them, they will do the exact opposite of what you want them to do.

Experience teaches us that, when in such a situation, respect and manners towards the figure of authority is the sensible course of action. However, I don't think there's any law that says we have to call a LEO "sir" or "officer X" and, as I said above, he should be able to handle being called a lot worse than "dude" or "man".

He wins my "Ass of the Week" award.  butthead   trophy 

Fiatstilojtd

Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:34 pm

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 31):
Maybe he hadn't been laid in a while.

Wow! Thankfully ANCFLYER is freshly wed then.  Wink Big grin

JRadier

Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:42 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 29):
As shown recently in our country, a police officer is held to the same standards as normal citizens. The 4th or 5th time a police officer murders his wife, that's it. No more killing them. 4 or 5 is the limit. That police officer is going to jail for questioning. Just like any other citizen who kills 4 or 5 wives in a row.

Did I miss something (apart from the link between this thread and the murders I can't really place at the moment)?

And the officers here probably wouldn't like me too much if I called their colleagues on them, but that's not the point is it?

SOBHI51

Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:53 pm

Another question came to my mind.
Why was the officer upset from the camera being there?If he did his job according to the rules then this should have not bothered him.

Flighty

Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:37 pm

Quoting JRadier (Reply 33):
Did I miss something

Yeah, sorry. Drew Peterson is a Chicago area former cop. He actually only killed 2 of his wives, but treated them all very nasty.

Quote from a recent story:

"Drew Peterson's third wife was murdered and did not accidentally drown in the bathtub as originally thought, a pathologist says. Bruises on the body of Kathleen Savio suggest she was beaten to death in 2004, the Chicago Tribune reports. The autopsy took place after police named Peterson, a former Chicago cop, a suspect in the disappearance of his fourth wife."

And:

" BOLINGBROOK, Illinois (AP) -- Eighteen times in two years, Bolingbrook police were called to fellow officer Drew Peterson's home because of trouble between husband and wife.

But Peterson's wife could never get authorities to arrest him. In fact, she was the only one ever charged..."

And then he murdered her. That is what I call a nightmare.

airfoilsguy

Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:57 pm

The cop is an asshole and has some problems. He has no business being a cop. If such a minor situation like that gets him worked up I would hate to see what would happen if the shit really did hit the fan.

N1120A

Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:10 pm

Someone needs to tell that cop that they had every right to record this incident. In fact, they could have done it without him knowing and without his permission.

Wow.....talk about a cop overreacting and being totally out of line.

That is an understatement.

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 1):
This guy needs to go to jail for a long time.

Assault and battery strike me as charges that would apply.

Yeah, the officer did blow up in their faces, so they're both at fault

Both at fault? The kid was perfectly attentive, soft spoken and respectful during this cop's tirade and attack.

Sure, the cop went too far, but the kids provoked him.

By doing what? That kid didn't do anything out of line when that cop attacked him. In fact, he should have been asking for the cop's supervisor to help remedy the situation.

I'd give the cop an administrative warning only. The kid needs a serious attitude adjustment.

Were you watching a different tape. The cop was screaming at a kid less than half his age, after tackling him.

You call them 'sir'.

What law says that?

You call your school buddies 'Dude'. Not adults. Definately not cops

I call everyone dude because I grew up in a place where it is common.

Quoting Bagpiper (Reply 24):
Why did the officer have to ask several times for the above information?

Probably because he screamed over the kid every single time.

Confuscius

Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:23 pm

https://www.airliners.net/discussions/non_aviation/read.main/1830439/

unedited version

[Edited 2008-02-13 13:32:56]

airfoilsguy

Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:35 pm

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 38):
https://www.airliners.net/discussions/non_aviation/read.main/1830439/

Why is the guy calling himself a quadriplegic? He is a paraplegic, a quadriplegic can't move their hands or arms.

N1120A

Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:46 pm

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 39):

Why is the guy calling himself a quadriplegic? He is a paraplegic, a quadriplegic can't move their hands or arms.

Incorrect, and I answered that in the other thread. Quadri/Tetrapeleigics can have movement in their hands or arms.

PPVRA

Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:48 pm

No grounds for physical aggression.

I'd think about suing the SOB. Hate people like that.

Confuscius

Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:52 pm

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 39):

Maybe he can't move up his fifth appendage?

LOT767-300ER

Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:23 pm

Theres nothing in the book that I have to call an officer sir or give them proper salutation, even if out of disrespect this is not a cause for physical confrontation for the cop to first tackle a 14 year old then push him down on the ground.

Idiot, the police state just grows.

fxramper

Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:24 am

I hope the fat ass gets fired.

checkmark 

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 4):
yourself on YouTube you douchebag.

Priceless.  rotfl 

Quoting N1120A (Reply 37):

yes 

I hope the boy's family sues.

itsjustme

Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:29 am

Quoting Flighty (Reply 35):
Yeah, sorry. Drew Peterson is a Chicago area former cop. He actually only killed 2 of his wives, but treated them all very nasty.

For the record, Peterson has not been charged, much less convicted in relation to the death of his former wife. And he is merely a suspect in the disappearance of his current wife (she hasn't been officially classified as "deceased" yet).

luv2fly

Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:45 am

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 45):
Quoting Flighty (Reply 35):

For the record, Peterson has not been charged, much less convicted in relation to the death of his former wife. And he is merely a suspect in the disappearance of his current wife (she hasn't been officially classified as "deceased" yet).

You are correct, though on the other hand like my Mom always said, "If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then maybe it is a duck".

TusAadvantage

Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:43 am

What are the rules on cops physically confronting people? Wouldn't the boy have to be presenting some kind of danger to someone for a headlock to be acceptable? I didn't know cops could hurt people because they don't like being called "dude".

BTW, you can tell that kid was in serious shock when he was getting abused like that. Its suprising he was even able to get words out. When you're in situations like that, words like "dude" come out because your brain seems to go 90% into fight/fleet mode, not leaving much left for constructing cohesive sentences.

bok269

Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:45 am

Normally I give the benefit of the doubt to the officer in question. However, to me (an untrained private citizen), this looks like a case of a police officer overstepping his bounds. The boy should have taken his headphones out, and probaby should have been more cooperative. However, the officer did not help the problem at all, and in fact probably made it worse. By grabbing the boy, yelling at him repeatedly, he probably scared the kid so much that he was probably to shaken up to talk straight and understand what he was saying-hence the dude, man, etc. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the seizing of his skateboard as a means of revenge a violation of the 5th ammendment?

N1120A

Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:49 am

Quoting Bok269 (Reply 48):
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the seizing of his skateboard as a means of revenge a violation of the 5th ammendment?

Actually, the 14th Amendment, since he is a State actor.