Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lobster
Topic Author

The Ultimate Knife Control Thread

Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:18 pm

After hearing of yet another stabbing death today, I think it's time to start the "ultimate knife control thread" because gun control seems to be working so well, we ought to apply it to knives too.

There can be different categories.

Only knives under say, 3" will be legal. BUT, you need to go through a course and have a background check to get them.

Then there are those EVIL serrated knives. Those will be the "assault weapons" of knives, after all, there must not be a use for them.

Your steak knives will be the "hunting rifle" of knives. But PETA will get on board because you shouldn't have them anyway because eating animals is wrong!!

Finally, only law enforcement will be allowed to have knifes. After all, why do we need them, that's what law enforcement is for.

I mean, you take guns away, and people just stop dying right? So I think we should outlaw knives too. Lets face it, the American public is uneducated, and knives are sharp. We wouldn't want someone accidentally hurting themselves do we? And God forbid, someone defends themselves.

So what say you? Should we try and ban knives next? That can be the Brady Centers next campaign.

A man hacked a psychologist to death with a meat cleaver at her Upper East Side office and seriously injured another therapist who tried to help her, police said.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,330536,00.html

A 21-year-old woman was stabbed Sunday afternoon as she was walking to her car at the University Towne Center shopping mall.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23112596/

A prosecutor says a former Reno pawnbroker deserves maximum time in prison for killing his wife and attempting to "assassinate" the judge who was handling their divorce.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23069829/

The suspect arrested in the New Year's Eve murder of Shannon Harps has admitted to the slaying, according to court documents.

James Anthony Williams, 48, was arrested yesterday in connection with the stabbing of Harps on Capitol Hill. He is being held without bail in King County Jail.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22859939/

A 34-year-old man is in critical condition following a stabbing at an Uptown bar Sunday. Police said the victim, of McKees Rocks, was stabbed five times while inside Flickens Bar on Fifth Avenue at 1:10 a.m.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23096619/

One man was killed and two were seriously injured after an early-morning stabbing between West 48th and 49th Streets near Broadway on Monday, police said. When police responded they found the three men stabbed. Two were taken to St. Vincent?s Hospital. A third man was taken to Bellevue where he was pronounced dead.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22768252/

Police have arrested a 15-year-old girl in connection with the fatal stabbing of another teenage girl in Newark on Sunday. The 15-year-old suspect is accused of killing Idresa Lightsey, 18, on Sunday.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22686181/

The Norwalk Police Department issued a felony warrant Friday for Corey ?Neef? Young. The warrant charges him with first-degree assault for his part in the stabbing of a victim after a party at 10 Linden Street in Norwalk on Jan. 11.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22960617/

OH!! Those EVIL, EVIL knives!!

ME AVN FAN

RE: The Ultimate Knife Control Thread

Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:30 pm

Quoting Lobster (Thread starter):
Only knives under say, 3" will be legal. BUT, you need to go through a course and have a background check to get them.

Swiss Pocket Knives have a length of 7 or 9 centimeters (3 inches / 3.6 inches) and have to be legal and fully unrestricted. Standard kitchen knifes are 12 to 25 centimeters long. You can talk about a dangerous knife if it is more than 40 centimeters. Everything below that is something you have with you quite normally.

HickoryShampoo

Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:04 pm

You freakin' liberals with your knife-control schtick!  Angry Banning knives will only force mopey teens to find another way of garnering attention. Will you take away their teeth, too? Imagine the potential contagion exposure our nation's robbery professionals will face if they have to resort to gnawing their uncooperative victims.

This is a sad, sad day. You should be punished with a thousand claw-crackers, you mangy crustacean.  grumpy 
This place is cashed, so I'm out. Someone PM me when A.net comes back.

Indy

Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:09 pm

You can have my 8" chef's knife when you pry it from my cold dead hands.  Smile
IND to RDU to OKC in 18 months. This is what my life has become.

airfoilsguy

Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:59 pm

Bull, cars kill more people the knives and guns combined, lets ban cars. Wait a minute, stupidity kills more people then all three, lets ban that.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

lobster
Topic Author

Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:01 pm

Apparently, no one gets sarcasm around here.

Jetsgo

Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:06 pm

Lets ban the following:

Guns
Knives
Cars
Trains
Planes
Hammers
Cancer
Bacteria
Water
Fire
Rocks

These can all kill and I demand my congressman push legislation to outlaw their existence...

Not that John Dolittle (Do little) would do anything about it...

Wink
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

lobster
Topic Author

Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:10 pm

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 6):
Rocks

I'm down with the rock thing. Just the other day I hit a rock with my snowmobile, I say ban them all!!

MD11Engineer

Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:14 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 1):
You can talk about a dangerous knife if it is more than 40 centimeters. Everything below that is something you have with you quite normally.

Tell this to a Filipino farmer. A bolo (Filipino machete) is a standard multipurpose tool, used, for cutting firewood etc., and it is definitely longer than 40 cm.
BTW, I have one (plus an axe and a pocket knife) in my truck.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Dougloid

Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:23 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 8):
Tell this to a Filipino farmer. A bolo (Filipino machete) is a standard multipurpose tool, used, for cutting firewood etc., and it is definitely longer than 40 cm.
BTW, I have one (plus an axe and a pocket knife) in my truck.

One of my mom's friends in the neighborhood was an old retired military man who
had served in the Phillipines. He had a machete that was made by a Filipino village blacksmith out of a leaf spring from a Ford. It was a fine chunk of cutlery and neatly filled the slot between axe and cane knife. It had a lotta heft and that fine Ford vanadium steel took a nice edge. The shape of it was weighted toward the end so you could get a good wrist snap into it...jsut the thing for cutting brush or bamboo.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

ME AVN FAN

Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:56 pm

Quoting HickoryShampoo (Reply 2):
Banning knives

THIS here would be a bit dangerous :
-

while
this is what you can buy in places like Dubai and Muscat, very very nice

-

L-188

Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:31 am

This isn't a joke.

Several municipalities have banned replica swords.

I think it was the BMA that suggested that they should ban all pointy knifes in the besiged British Isles.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

lobster
Topic Author

Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:53 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 11):
Several municipalities have banned replica swords.

While I can consider the reasoning behind it, it's still ridiculous none the less. I was watching this guy make genuine Katana's and they were SO cool. I'd love to get my hands on one of those.

L-188

Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:14 am

Quoting Lobster (Reply 12):
I was watching this guy make genuine Katana's and they were SO cool. I'd love to get my hands on one of those.

Well I think the english ban still allows collectors to keep them, but they have to be authentic ones or new build "Art" swords and they can run up to 100K each.

Which shows that these laws are only ment to ban the ownership of them by the poor.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

HickoryShampoo

Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:05 pm

Quoting Lobster (Reply 5):

*ahem* Pardon?

Orion737

Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:07 pm

I was attacked by two big Alsations neiton leads recently. It unnerved me so much that when walking I have taken to carrying a pocket knife in my pocket, not that i would ever use it.

Pope

Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:28 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 1):
Swiss Pocket Knives have a length of 7 or 9 centimeters (3 inches / 3.6 inches) and have to be legal and fully unrestricted.

The very first response was from a member of the special interest group seeking to carve out an exception in the knife ban.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

ME AVN FAN

Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:57 pm

Quoting Lobster (Reply 5):

That you meant it sarcastically is clear. HOWEVER, in view of trouble with pocket knifes when travelling, and hearing about even more trouble there and here and there, the matter is NOT a humourous one, not at all
-

Quoting Pope (Reply 16):
to carve out an exception in the knife ban.

"exception" ? Not really. There simply should be no ban on pocket knifes with blades of less than 15 centimeters and none on kitchen knifes and souvenir knifes with blades of less than 30 centimeters in length .
-
You otherwise also have to ban pens, keys, laptops, etc ---- and such things as the Omani knife pictured above also should still be ok
-
-
and here some of the articles which should be excempt from any ban

-

-

-

Pope

Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:59 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 17):
"exception" ? Not really. There simply should be no ban on pocket knifes with blades of less than 15 centimeters and none on kitchen knifes and souvenir knifes with blades of less than 30 centimeters in length .

Dude. It was tongue in cheek. A member with a swiss flag in his profile advocating for the Swiss Army knife. Come on now. . . .

PPVRA

Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:06 pm

Forks look pretty dangerous too. Perhaps all forks should be replaced with sporks?
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

ME AVN FAN

Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:21 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 18):
a swiss flag in his profile

this in a way almost is an obligation. I might even say that whomever has grown up in Switzerland will defend the pocket-knives, be it jokingly or in full. I am not alone in having had such a knife in my pocket for more than 50 of my 57 years.  yes   wave 

Pope

Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:47 pm

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 19):
Forks look pretty dangerous too. Perhaps all forks should be replaced with sporks?

I disagree. Forks don't kill people, people kill people.

HickoryShampoo

Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:49 pm

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 19):

My father was stabbed to death with a spork in Flimflambo, you douche.  Angry

Jpax

Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:52 pm

We can't ban knives! How could I ever express my terrible, pathetic, useless, sad life without that passionate, fiery blade of emoness!