Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VonRichtofen
Topic Author

Cop Dumps Quadriplegic From Wheelchair

Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:20 pm

I noticed this video on the Youtube main page and had to see it to believe it. Pretty disgusting act, hopefully she's disciplined severely for this.

IFEMaster

RE: Cop Dumps Quadriplegic From Wheelchair

Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:24 pm

Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

Jpax

Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:25 pm

Quoting VonRichtofen (Thread starter):
Pretty disgusting act, hopefully she's disciplined severely for this.

With that said, the punishment will be "suspended with pay"... aka office duty. A mere slap on the wrist.  sigh 

Jpax

Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:26 pm

Following that last link, I stand corrected! Thankfully!

"Charlette Marshall-Jones, the deputy who actually forced the man from the chair, has been suspended without pay."

dragon-wings

Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:30 pm

And the other officers that were in that video just stood around and did nothing!  Angry
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

NeilYYZ

Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:33 pm

Quoting Dragon-wings (Reply 4):
And the other officers that were in that video just stood around and did nothing!

The article I read said that the other officers who did nothing have also been punished. And as well they should be.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

lobster

Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:37 pm

90% of cops are decent, but it's the rest that get their "fame" on the internet. This is absolutely disgusting treatment. They should all be fired and not allowed to work in law enforcement/corrections ever again.

KFLLCFII

Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:46 pm

Always some bad apples in every department.  Yeah sure

By the way, doesn't "quadriplegic" mean he doesn't have use of his upper extremities either? Or does this term still allow for partial movement of the arms/hands?
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

airfoilsguy

Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:38 pm

By the way, doesn't "quadriplegic" mean he doesn't have use of his upper extremities either? Or does this term still allow for partial movement of the arms/hands?

The guy is a paraplegic not a quadriplegic.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

N1120A

Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:42 pm

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 8):

Quadra/Tetrapalegia is where someone experiences paralysis in all 4 limbs, but may still have some use.

[Edited 2008-02-13 14:56:05]
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

NIKV69

Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:52 pm

The video is incredible I can't believe they just dumped him on the floor like that. He was on FOX today and he has a very sour attitude when asked why he thought they did what they did you him he said "I don't know I didn't have my crystal ball with me"

The Officer in question should at worst get a heavy suspension with no pay and pray she doesn't get fired bacuse this guy has a pretty good lawsuit if he pursues it.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

N1120A

Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:56 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 10):
He was on FOX today and he has a very sour attitude when asked why he thought they did what they did you him he said "I don't know I didn't have my crystal ball with me"

Good response.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

NWA742

Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:02 pm

The video is incredible I can't believe they just dumped him on the floor like that. He was on FOX today and he has a very sour attitude when asked why he thought they did what they did you him he said "I don't know I didn't have my crystal ball with me"

I wouldn't say that's a sour attitude - it was just a stupid media question. I would have said the same thing.

Anywho, this is ridiculous. That moron should have been fired on the spot and arrested for assault. What the hell was she thinking?

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 7):
Always some bad apples in every department

I'd say that particular department needs a major upgrade in their standards for hiring.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

luv2fly

Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:44 pm

You can cut the irony with a knife

ACDC8

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:29 am

Watching something like that really makes one wonder what goes through peoples minds .....  Confused

Also, just out of curiosity, but what kind of traffic violation could justify a warrant?
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

NIKV69

Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:31 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 12):
What the hell was she thinking?

She obviolsy wasn't.

I'd say that particular department needs a major upgrade in their standards for hiring.

They will do it now, this guy basically has a slam dunk with a good lawyer and will get a settlement from that department.

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 14):
Also, just out of curiosity, but what kind of traffic violation could justify a warrant?

I think any time you don't show for traffic court or satisfy a ticket a warrant will be issued. Doesn't mean they go looking for you but if they pull you over you get arrested.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

sudden

Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:51 pm

I did read that all 4 agents had been suspended.

As sick as this is, she would have no defense what so ever in court cause they most likely brought him to the station in the back of the police car, and for him to get from his own car, or house, to the police car, she had plenty of time to notice his handicap.

I hope he follows a lawsuit.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

HickoryShampoo

Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:34 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 14):

Any of them if you don't show up on your court date. It may only be a municipal court, but jail still feels the same.
This place is cashed, so I'm out. Someone PM me when A.net comes back.

KFLLCFII

Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:28 pm

Quoting Sudden (Reply 16):
As sick as this is, she would have no defense what so ever in court cause they most likely brought him to the station in the back of the police car, and for him to get from his own car, or house, to the police car, she had plenty of time to notice his handicap.

She's not a road patrol deputy, but a corrections deputy (based on this local update)...Which means she's assigned to the jail only, most likely in "Intake". That be the case, there's no reason she would have witnessed any of the events that led up to his arrival at the jail. It's also possible that even though she was the one who wheeled him in from the sally port, she may not have been present at the time when they moved him from the vehicle to the chair.

Here's an unedited version of the video:

Nevertheless, it was still a major flip-up on her part. (Whoops, pun not intended.) Big grin
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

LOT767-300ER

Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:37 pm

What I dont understand is why these Police Departments never have any idea all this occured until someone sends them their tape or posts it on YouTube....oh wait..

ACDC8

Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:22 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 15):
I think any time you don't show for traffic court or satisfy a ticket a warrant will be issued. Doesn't mean they go looking for you but if they pull you over you get arrested.

Quoting HickoryShampoo (Reply 17):
Any of them if you don't show up on your court date. It may only be a municipal court, but jail still feels the same.

That's what I was thinking, just wanted to double check. Thanks!
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

czbbflier

Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:36 pm

How did the surveillance tape wind up on YouTube?

You'd think that evidence like that would sort of 'disappear'... ahem.... "Hh, the surveillance camera wasn't working that day." or "Unfortunately, those tapes got erased while they were being archived. No, it's not a regular occurrence but these things do happen from time to time".

j_hallgren

Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:04 am

As of about 10pm Fri, things have changed....from the St. Pete Times blog:

Quote:
TAMPA -- Hillsborough detention Deputy Charlette Marshall-Jones faces felony charges of abuse of a disabled person in connection with a now infamous videotaped incident in which a quadraplegic inmate was dumped onto the jail floor to be searched.

"What happened to Mr. Sternners was a disgrace. It was also a crime," said Hillsborough Sheriff David Gee at a news conference late Friday.

Marshall-Jones had been notified of a warrant for her arrest, he said, and was expected to turn herself in for booking.

COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

fumanchewd

Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:50 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 19):
What I dont understand is why these Police Departments never have any idea all this occured until someone sends them their tape or posts it on YouTube....oh wait..

Yeah. This stuff happens all the time. The jailers have to deal with alot of intoxicated people, people kicking drugs, theifs, and all kinds of people trying to play games with them. It is a very hard job that I would not want. That said she deserves to be prosecuted and this is inexcusable. I've seen someone who was lying on the ground in Maricopa county get kicked in the gut by a female intake officer. Its true that he refused to get up, but its inexcusable.

But this is what happens in a society where everyone is ingrained to believe that all people in jail or prison are scum.

I've said it before, the general public has no idea the kind of atrocities that happen in US jails and they don't care unless someone gets caught.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

UAXDXer

Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:01 am

Quoting Czbbflier (Reply 21):

You'd think that evidence like that would sort of 'disappear'... ahem.... "Hh, the surveillance camera wasn't working that day." or "Unfortunately, those tapes got erased while they were being archived. No, it's not a regular occurrence but these things do happen from time to time".

I was thinking the exact same thing! I bet who ever leaked this to the media has gone in to super secret hiding!
It takes a bug to hit a windsheild but it takes guts to stick

j_hallgren

Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:02 am

I saw Mike Deeson (the reporter who broke the story on WTSP and who's in the YouTube clip) at a memorial service today for their chief meteorologist Dick Fletcher today, and told him that it had been discussed (here) on a worldwide msg board and he was somewhat surprised....he's been quite busy with the followup on this and related stuff...
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

CaptOveur

Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:45 am

The Officer in question should at worst get a heavy suspension with no pay and pray she doesn't get fired bacuse this guy has a pretty good lawsuit if he pursues it.

Then you better hope they don't have a good union. Depending on where this is the union may step in and save her job. What is the worst they can do to her if they don't fire her? Make her work intake at the jail? (its kind of the worst job in law enforcement)

You get what you pay for. Hiring standards for police departments keep on rising but the pay doesn't.

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 19):
I dont understand is why these Police Departments never have any idea all this occured until someone sends them their tape or posts it on YouTube

Someone saw it, didn't like it. Tried to complain. Complaint didn't get acted upon quickly enough. They took it to youtube. To the departments defense if it is a big city they get hundreds of complaints a day. All of which have to be investigated. It takes time. Would you rather have resources on patrol or tied up checking on complaints which are unfounded probably 90% of the time?

Quoting Czbbflier (Reply 21):

It might very well be considered public record. Or someone with access posted it because it disgusted them.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.