Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

IFEMaster
Topic Author

Countdown To MLS 2008 Season

Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:39 pm

This thread is for:

- Discussing the upcoming MLS season, your teams, your players, your predictions, your thoughts, etc.

This thread is not for:

- Bashing MLS as being 'inferior' to football in the rest of the world, or bashing MLS otherwise.
- Stating that you think Beckham is overrated...many a thread on that already.
- Soccer haters. Don't like the game? Stay out of this thread.

With that said...

Openers are only 6 weeks away and with the superdraft over, some interesting trades, and the return of the San Jose Earthquakes to MLS this season, I think the 2008 season promises to be one of the best yet.

I'm a Galaxy fan and season ticket holder. Seat selection was last Saturday and I went and took the same seats that I've always had. Talking with other fans during seat selection, there seems to be a real expectation around the Galaxy that this year could be a good one for us. Beckham is fit, we've got Ruiz almost fit, some interesting draft picks and trades and with Ruud Gullit now at the reigns, I think that despite the departure of Joe Cannon and Chris Albright, they have a great foundation for a good season.

Looking forward to the home opener against the Earthquakes on April 3rd.

What say you other MLS followers? Any thoughts for the season? Any wishes? Predictions?
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

NeilYYZ

RE: Countdown To MLS 2008 Season

Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:42 pm

I'm going for Toronto FC, I don't know any other team but I hear going to the games is a good time so I think I'll try and get to a few this year down at BMO Field.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

MSYtristar

Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:45 pm

The New England Revolution and Columbus Crew are going down to New Orleans to play international exhibition matches against a team from Honduras in March. The New Orleans Shell Shockers PDL club is hosting the event and will compete also. I may have to go check that out.

IFEMaster
Topic Author

Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:46 pm

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 1):
I'm going for Toronto FC, I don't know any other team but I hear going to the games is a good time so I think I'll try and get to a few this year down at BMO Field.

Toronto FC did rather well last year for being a first year franchise. I was impressed with their grit and determination when they play the Galaxy; expect good things from them this year.

KROC

Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:52 pm

Is this thread for me mentioning the dozens of fans across the country gearing up for the opening games? If not, my apologies, I'll disappear now.  Wink

IFEMaster
Topic Author

Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:54 pm

Quoting KROC (Reply 4):
Is this thread for me mentioning the dozens of fans across the country gearing up for the opening games? If not, my apologies, I'll disappear now.

Mike, if I hadn't grown somewhat obscurely fond of your digs at the beautiful game, I'd be annoyed at your blatant disregard for my thread rules  biggrin 

Confuscius

Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:57 pm

OOOPS! wrong sport!!! I saw KROC's reply so I assumed it was baseball...nevermined. 

Is Evan related to Eva?

[Edited 2008-02-13 15:00:36]
Ain't I a stinker?

N1120A

Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:26 pm

Quoting IFEMaster (Thread starter):
- Stating that you think Beckham is overrated...

I actually think he is underrated when uninjured, and he proved that by being Real's MVP in the second half of his final season there. Anyway, I think a healthy Beckham combined with Donovan being more free to move about is going to produce results. The Galaxy, however, really need to improve their goalkeeping.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

LHMark

Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:28 pm

Toronto FC! Although I gotta pull for Houston as well as long as my boy Pat Onstad is keeping goal.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

co777er

Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:56 pm

Let's hear it for the Dynamo!

LTU932

Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:11 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Thread starter):
Beckham is fit

He also has the advantage that he was longer in pre-season by training with Arsenal in England in the hope for being nominated by Capello for the Three Lions (which he did not). In any case, it won't be for nothing, all he needs to do is perform and adapt with the team to Gullit's style of play and be part of the team.

BTW: Will Beckham continue to be the captain this season? I guess Landon Donovan ain't gonna like that.

As for MLS in general, all you people in the US are going to learn a new word: Derby. I mean, with three Cali teams in MLS (Chivas USA, Galaxy and SJC), there should be at least six California derbies this season. Mind you, even though they will return this season, I've already developed a small softspot for the San José Earthquakes. Hopefully they'll do as well as Toronto FC did last season.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

LOT767-300ER

Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:17 am

I really am disappointed Zurawski did not go to Columbus Crew from Celtic when he was so damn close....The move to Larissa FC was probably better for him and he scored the winning goal against AEK in his first match but at least this would have given me a reason to go to a Chicago Fire game. Toyota (*cringe*) Park is a nice field at the very least.

N1120A

Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:30 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 10):

BTW: Will Beckham continue to be the captain this season? I guess Landon Donovan ain't gonna like that.

I don't think Donovan will care much, considering Beckham's record.

with three Cali teams

You keep thinking we are in Colombia  Wink

NeilYYZ

Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:34 am

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 8):
Toronto FC!

Just curious as to why Toronto FC? Do we have some unbelievable player or is it just proximity?

Either way I've got to get some tickets just for the atmosphere, who knows, maybe I'll get right into it.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

N1120A

Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:37 am

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 13):

Just curious as to why Toronto FC? Do we have some unbelievable player or is it just proximity?

I think it is proximity, seeing that he is right across the lake. Also, Mark lives in a town with one of the best lower division sides in North America.

LTU932

Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:51 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 12):
You keep thinking we are in Colombia

Much easier to say Cali than to always say "California" or teams from NorCal and SoCal.  Wink
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

IFEMaster
Topic Author

Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:45 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 7):
The Galaxy, however, really need to improve their goalkeeping.

Joe Canon is gone. That's a problem; he was phenomenal last season. Who do we have instead? Steve Cronin. Unless Gullit's team have some magical goalkeeping regime, that was a bad move on Lalas' part.

Will Beckham continue to be the captain this season?

Most likely. I think Gullit will take one look at his experience as England captain and see that he's a proven leader on the pitch, and hand him the armband.

I guess Landon Donovan ain't gonna like that.

I don't think he'll give a hoot. Donovan got the captaincy the same way Beckham did last season; on the merit of his name. He came from the Earthquakes, was the most famous face in MLS off the back of the 2002 World Cup, and a season later (after an abysmal season on the pitch), got the armband. Now with Gullit in charge, I think everyone's slate is clean, and I think every player there will respect Beckham as captainif that's who Gullit names.

N1120A

Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:50 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 16):

Joe Canon is gone. That's a problem; he was phenomenal last season. Who do we have instead? Steve Cronin. Unless Gullit's team have some magical goalkeeping regime, that was a bad move on Lalas' part.

Canon wasn't all that great either.

IFEMaster
Topic Author

Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:12 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 17):
Canon wasn't all that great either.

I disagree with that. Cannon single handedly kept the Galaxy in a large number of games last year. I can't think of a better keeper in the MLS.

N1120A

Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:24 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 18):
I can't think of a better keeper in the MLS.

Well, Hartman can challenge Canon, and I think the fact that Brad Guzan not only had a winning record but would be playing for Villa right now but for his work permit issues says that he has some serious skills.

carmenlu15

Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:06 pm

I say they should have Ruiz as the captain Big grin
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

IFEMaster
Topic Author

Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:59 pm

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 20):
I say they should have Ruiz as the captain

Ruiz certainly has the experience, that's for sure, but he's a bit of a one-dimensional player. He's a target man, not really a playmaker, and although I haven't seen a great deal of him on the pitch, he doesn't seem to be a leader. I'm quite excited to see him up front as I think he'll fill that gap between the left flank and center of attack quite well.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 19):
Hartman

Quoting N1120A (Reply 19):
Guzan

Both excellent keepers, but I still think Joe Cannon is better.

threeifbyair

Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:59 pm

Still another season to wait for Seattle! Even so, I'll be paying much more attention to the MLS this season. Anyone care to predict a league table?

I should be getting a letter from the Seattle MLS people about actually buying my season tickets sometime in the near future and hopefully get some more details on the team. Last I heard there were over 12,000 deposits for season tickets - not sure how that would compare with other teams if everyone converted their deposits, but it sounds pretty good.

IFEMaster
Topic Author

Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:08 pm

Quoting ThreeIfByAir (Reply 22):
Anyone care to predict a league table?

I'm going to put Galaxy in 2nd in the West, behind Chivas (who will be phenomenal again this year, much to my chagrin), with Galaxy lifting the MLS cup at the end of the season. Of course, I'm entirely biased and there's a whole load of wishful thinking going in to my prediction.  biggrin  Bottom will be the newly reformed Earthquakes...it'll be their teething season.

In the East, I think the Revolution will pip DC Utd to the post - they were so close last year and had it not been down to some poor refereeing in the DC vs. Rev match and a horrible defensive error in the reverse fixture, Rev would have taken the title. Bottom will be Columbus, as Toronto have done some good things off-season.

Alias1024

Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:19 pm

I keep waiting for RBNY to live up to the ambition of their owners, and the promise of all their talent. Perhaps this season will be the one where they dethrone the duopoly of the Revolution and DC United in the East. The west is shaping up to be a good contest, with the both LA clubs and Houston looking quite strong. Looks to be another season of misery in Colorado. Most of all, I hope that MLS can build on the momentum they had last year from the Beckham signing.

Us Portland Timbers fans are breathing a sigh of relief that the Galaxy were dumb enough to not sign Josh Wicks. He was the USL First Division goalkeeper of the year last season, and is only getting better. We are also planning for the retirement of our mascot, and one last trip to Qwest field to show Seattle to again prove that the Timbers are the best supported club in the Northwest.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

KPWM

Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:44 pm

All I can say is that if New England makes the cup, they better win this time! I'm tired of all the 2nd finishes.

N1120A

Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:59 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 23):
Chivas (who will be phenomenal again this year, much to my chagrin)

You mean Brad Guzan's team  Wink. I remain mystified as to why Ante Razov has never really gotten a chance with the national team.