Ps76
Topic Author

Skydiving Experiences?

Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:53 pm

Hi,

Just wanted to ask if anyone has been or goes skydiving and what it's like. Sometimes I think it must be an awesome feeling/rush to be out there in the air with gravity but then I'm in a plane looking out at 10,000ft. and I think 'no way' - 'you gotta be nuts to dive into that'!

Would be cool to hear if/how you went etc.. Was is extremely scary, was the instructor/pilot cool etc.

Many thanks,

P.

fxramper

RE: Skydiving Experiences?

Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:57 pm

Have done is at least a dozen times. Texas mostly, some jumps in Hawaii, and one in the Caribbean. Besides flying an airplane all alone, it's the biggest adrenaline rush I've had in my life.

twocents 

Ps76
Topic Author

Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:07 pm

Hi,

Quoting FXramper (Reply 1):
Have done is at least a dozen times.

This might sound weird but is it difficult? I'm only thinking of tandem but being in that face-down position feels really unnatural for falling to earth or does the pilot basically do everything so you can't really mess up if you just go for the ride.

Maybe I should try to learn to fly a plane first!

P.

TupolevTu154

Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:17 pm

I've often said to myself "I'd love to skydive!", and looking out of an aircraft up to 10,000ft I continue to tell myself I'd love it. But when it comes to it I'd probably chicken out. I was scared enough abseiling down a 60ft water tower!

Tom Big grin

Ps76
Topic Author

Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:27 pm

Hi,

Quoting TupolevTu154 (Reply 3):
I was scared enough abseiling down a 60ft water tower!

I was scared when we had to rappel down a waterfall which probably wasn't even 60ft.! But once the guide had me on the rope with legs straight looking back up the walking down felt a little easier. Not something I'd like to do every day though!

P.

[Edited 2008-02-14 14:29:29]

fxramper

Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:44 pm

Quoting Ps76 (Reply 2):
I'm only thinking of tandem

Unless you jump enough and take some tests, you can only do tandem.

Quoting TupolevTu154 (Reply 3):
I'd probably chicken out

The instructors won't allow it. In Hawaii, over Maui, my dive instructor had a Masters in Psychology - very interesting routine!  eyepopping 

Ps76
Topic Author

Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:53 pm

Hi,

Quoting FXramper (Reply 5):
Quoting Ps76 (Reply 2):
I'm only thinking of tandem

Yes I know this.

P.

greggarious

Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:02 pm

Ha ha, I put skydiving on my "must-do" list for 2008, so I too find this thread to be rather interesting!

The instructors won't allow it. In Hawaii, over Maui, my dive instructor had a Masters in Psychology - very interesting routine!   

Care to elaborate? Half the time that I imagine myself at the door I see myself balking. What exactly do they do to put those fears to rest?

bhmbaglock

Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:21 am

I'm not current at the moment but I have over 1300 jumps, all but about a dozen freefall. I'm also a licensed Senior Rigger, static line and tandem instructor.

Let me know if you have any questions. DL021 also has quite a few jumps and will probably drop in here as well.

Quoting Ps76 (Thread starter):
Sometimes I think it must be an awesome feeling/rush to be out there in the air with gravity but then I'm in a plane looking out at 10,000ft. and I think 'no way' -

It is a blast. Try to find a DZ with turbine a/c that will take you to 12.5k or higher for the first jump. It's actually much easier to get yourself out of the plane at higher altitudes as things just really don't look real and therefore scary from that altitude. It's much worse psychologically trying to get out at 2500'; in reality it's also much more dangerous as altitude is time, and time is safety when you have a problem to fix.

Would be cool to hear if/how you went etc..

First jump was scary, I made the mistake of doing static line from 3000'. Again, do a tandem or Level I AFF from higher altitude. You'll learn more, not be as scared, and have a hell of a lot more fun. Also, spring for the extra $ for video.

Was is extremely scary, was the instructor/pilot cool etc.

It can be scary at times but so can driving your car. To put it in perspective, I've only seen one person die at the DZ but also know of two people who were killed in car wrecks on their way to the DZ on days when I was jumping. Like most things, it's as safe as you want to make it.

Pilots vary a lot, remember that particularly when you're talking about a 182/206 type DZ, a lot of the pilots will have the bare minimum hours for a Commercial License; it was worse when I started jumping, many of the pilots were 100 hr wonders with a PPL - for club operations you could get away with it back then. I also know many jump pilots with tens of thousands of hours in any type you can even imagine. Mostly they're pretty good guys, but as with most things, some real tools as well.

The most exciting thing with the pilots was always breaking in a new one who had never flown jumpers before. Not too rough on the bigger twins, etc. as the jumpers don't change the flight characteristics too much but quite "interesting" with a 182. When you put 3.5 people outside the door with the engine throttled back, you simply can't maintain altitude; however about half the pilots will always try to do this anyway. The inevitable result is a stall, sometimes really nasty. It really sucks to be outside the door hanging on to the strut of a 182 wondering when the pilot will decide to give it power and put the nose down. Generally this mistake only happened once.

In the UK, a lot of people travel to France and Spain to jump as the weather is generally better. During the winter, we see a lot over here as well, mostly in Florida, California, and Arizona.

One interesting thing that happened to me jumping was the one time I ever had a malfunction on a tandem parachute jump was at a DZ east of Memphis. The pilot and DZ owner is a very senior Fedex Captain and my passenger happened to be the son of their Chief Pilot. He had a great time but we scared the hell out DZ owner.  Smile

Here's a picture of his B-90 King Air:

Bonus points for whoever can identify at least 3 performance mods on the a/c from the picture vs a standard B-90. One's a gimmee.
Where are all of my respected members going?

bhmbaglock

Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:58 am

I missed this the first time through

Not true. Almost all DZs also offer AFF first jumps and a few still offer static line first jumps.

The instructors won't allow it. In Hawaii, over Maui, my dive instructor had a Masters in Psychology - very interesting routine!

Also wrong, it's rare but people do choose not to jump after going up in the aircraft, I've even seen it happen to people with 1000+ jumps. If it doesn't feel right, don't go with and don't force anybody else either. The only student I ever had refuse to jump for me was a TV reporter who had been "assigned" to jump. I had no problem riding down in the plane with him - it was his choice. Of course, he didn't realize that skydiving planes generally get on the ground before the jumpers and the ride down in a very tight spiral with the door open is a hell of lot scarier than jumping.

I've also brought students down many times for various reasons, i.e. weather problems, parachute opened in a/c, motion sickness, mechanical problem with a/c, etc. The most interesting one was taking a few guys from Ft. Benning up for their first night jumps - we were in the door getting ready to go and the lights went out in the entire county. You couldn't even see where the airport was. We closed the door and went over to Auburn/Opelika to wait for the power to come back on.

btw, Hawaiian DZs are what's known as tandem mills. It can be hard to get a jump in there as an experienced and licensed jumper - they are 110% about the money there and tandem is by far the most profitable place to be, particularly in a resort scenario where ongoing/repeat customers are not the norm. You shouldn't make the mistake of comparing Hawaiian DZs to those anywhere else as they are a very different animal.

a380us

Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:50 am

Wow all these inputs are making me anxious to go.
One day I will have to go even though I'm scared of heights I'll still go..
www.JandACosmetics.com

ZBBYLW

Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:43 am

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 8):
Bonus points for whoever can identify at least 3 performance mods on the a/c from the picture vs a standard B-90. One's a gimmee.

Looks like a 4 bladed prop - could it be a bigger PT-6?

Thats all I see.
Keep the shinny side up!

Ps76
Topic Author

Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:03 pm

Hi,

Just wanted to say many thanks for the info etc. I guess I'm still in 2 minds a little about it but it looks cool and maybe I'll find myself there one day hopefully if, like I read in a pamplet for something adventurous in Switzerland, "the desire becomes greater than the fear"!

Many thanks,

Pierre.

sw733

Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:35 pm

I've done it twice - once in Namibia, and once in Illinois. It's a fun time. Certainly takes a little guts the first time (and, I guess, the second too). I keep meaning to do it again, but just haven't gotten around to it.

AC320

Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:54 pm

I think this topic requires posting this youtube vid:

fuddle duddle

kmh1956

Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:01 pm

Quoting SW733 (Reply 13):
Certainly takes a little guts

My biggest fear is seeing said guts after the jump....or splat.....
This is not one of those things that I have a shrieking desire to do, I must admit.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

TupolevTu154

Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:02 pm

Brilliant video there! Really doesn't look as terrifying as it sounds. I think the aircraft from which they're jumping interests me more though  Wink

Tom Big grin

lowrider

Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:55 pm

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 8):

Extended stacks
leading edge cuffs
4 bladed prop
the fairing between the inboard flap and the fuselage looks different too, but that might be the angle.

Flew jumpers for a while between other jobs. Had a good time with it. Started with a 206 and moved up to a Caravan. Never got to fly a Twin otter though.
Proud OOTSK member

bagpiper

Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:33 pm

I've done the "indoor skydiving" thing before, where they blow you with a huge fan - its cool, but I don't want to do it again, the "instructor" never really lets go of you, and you're in a padded tube. Still, it is fun.

A question I have about skydiving though is how easy is it to breathe? I had a hard time breathing in the indoor thingy, since you're face down in a huge wind, it makes it hard to take a breathe without swallowing a ton of air and crap like that. Is there something wrong with me in that respect, or is that normal? Other people I went with didn't seem to have that problem, yet I even have a hard time breathing facing into a huge wind (along the lines of it being so big its hard to walk into it).

So - skydiving, I think I'd have the same sort of problem and probably wouldn't enjoy it much since I'm spending so much brain power on trying to breathe...

MD11Engineer

Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:44 pm

Quoting Greggarious (Reply 7):

Care to elaborate? Half the time that I imagine myself at the door I see myself balking. What exactly do they do to put those fears to rest?

I had a colleague, who used to be in the British Army before and who suffered from vertigo (he got scared if he had to climb up on a ladder). To cure himself, he enrolled in an Army parachute course in Northern Ireland and he told me that the instructors used a neat trick to get the first timers to jump: Among the students was a young, good looking female soldier (who actually was a veteran parachutist, but the other students didn't know it before the jump). She would jump first, and then all guys just had to jump too or look like chickens (and get teased mercilessly in the barracks).

I never jumped out off a plane, but did some paragliding in Ireland (instructed by a Ukrainian friend, who used to paraglide since years).

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

bhmbaglock

Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:51 pm

Quoting ZBBYLW (Reply 11):
Looks like a 4 bladed prop - could it be a bigger PT-6?

Yes and yes. IIRC, the a/c had the -20 upgraded to -28 before he purchased it and then he upgraded to -34

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 17):
Extended stacks
leading edge cuffs
4 bladed prop

All correct. The only one you missed was my mistake for not posting a picture with a view of the strakes that were added as well.

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 17):
the fairing between the inboard flap and the fuselage looks different too, but that might be the angle.

Not absolutely sure about this one.

Quoting Bagpiper (Reply 18):
A question I have about skydiving though is how easy is it to breathe? I had a hard time breathing in the indoor thingy, since you're face down in a huge wind, it makes it hard to take a breathe without swallowing a ton of air and crap like that. Is there something wrong with me in that respect, or is that normal?

Wind tunnel is much more difficult, particularly if it's a closed circuit model as it gets extremely hot and dry. Some people do have trouble breathing in freefall but it's rare. It's not dangerous though as your body simply won't let you not breathe long enough for it to be a problem.

Quoting Greggarious (Reply 7):
Half the time that I imagine myself at the door I see myself balking. What exactly do they do to put those fears to rest?

Practice with and without gear in a mockup on the ground is the most effective method. Repetition tends to help your body react as desired, particularly in stressful situations. A bit of joking around to put you at ease is also typical but I've definitely seen a few instructors in serious need of humor implants. There are exceptions, but black hats generally don't make good instructors for civilians.

bagpiper

Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:56 pm

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 20):

Wind tunnel is much more difficult, particularly if it's a closed circuit model as it gets extremely hot and dry. Some people do have trouble breathing in freefall but it's rare. It's not dangerous though as your body simply won't let you not breathe long enough for it to be a problem.

thats good to know  Smile

bhmbaglock

Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:02 am

Quoting Bagpiper (Reply 21):
thats good to know

The best trick is to get there first thing in the morning when they open. Normally, they'll crank the AC all night long and it will be about 45-50 degrees when they first crank it up. This is much closer to a real skydive and much more pleasant. Temp will probably be 75-80 after 10 minutes in there .