Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LOT767-300ER
Topic Author

OBama And His Global Poverty Act...Whats This Crap

Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:56 am

This really pisses me off:

http://www.nationalledger.com/artman/publish/article_272618845.shtml

.7% of our GNP/840billion USD for a "UN Poverty Tax" above what we already pay. Putting us at the mercy of the useless UN.

Someone explain to me why OBama wants to stop wasting money overseas and "fix America" and then he wants to blow 840bn USD subject us to such crap like Kyoto...

NWA742

RE: OBama And His Global Poverty Act...Whats This Crap

Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:58 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Thread starter):
Putting us at the mercy of the useless UN.

Yep, which is what the clueless Democrats would love to accomplish.

-NWA742

lobster

RE: OBama And His Global Poverty Act...Whats This

Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:23 am

.7% of our GNP/840billion USD for a "UN Poverty Tax" above what we already pay. Putting us at the mercy of the useless UN.

Someone explain to me why OBama wants to stop wasting money overseas and "fix America" and then he wants to blow 840bn USD subject us to such crap like Kyoto...

What a dipshit. One day they preach about how much money is spent in Iraq that could help America, and now we have to support even more useless aid around the world.

It's about damn time Washington starts taking care of it's own citizens than some pigmie halfway across the world.

I'm all for foreign aid and helping out, but we need to take care of our own first.

ANCFlyer

Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:48 am

Quoting Lobster (Reply 2):
What a dipshit. One day they preach about how much money is spent in Iraq that could help America, and now we have to support even more useless aid around the world.

Yup . . .

Typical Democrat . . . give it all away . . .

Screw these third world countries that will NEVER improve no matter how much $$$$ wse toss at them.

We need that $$$ here to restore schools, infrastructure, increase pay for teachers and to hell with the UN. Worthless operation that it is.

Yet ANOTHER reasona Sen Obama won't get my vote . . . . he's rapidly catching up to the Scheister Lawyer . . .

Continental

Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:56 am

Yet, people are willing to support throwing money away at a war? Huh? What's wrong with this world?

L-188

Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:24 am

Quoting Continental (Reply 4):
Yet, people are willing to support throwing money away at a war?

That is an investment.

The UN is a black hole of fiscal irresponsiblity.

Bolton tried to clean it up, but the UN's henchmen the demorats refused to do their job and confirm the man.

He was the best thing to happen to the UN and he didn't get the support he needed to clean up the joint.

aloges

Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:49 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 5):

That is an investment.

How so? Fuel is burnt, shells have been fired and bombs have exploded. The money has gone POOF and we're still little if at all closer to a democratic and peaceful Middle East.

Quoting L-188 (Reply 5):
Bolton tried to clean it up

He successfully tried to sour the relationship between himself and the UN. There's a lot of difference between pushing for change and verbally bashing someone's head in.

Quoting L-188 (Reply 5):
the UN's henchmen the demorats

Nice try, want another go?

Quoting L-188 (Reply 5):
refused to do their job and confirm the man.

Silly me... I thought the job of a politician was to represent the will of those who elected him. Nope, I must have been wrong.  sarcastic 

Pope

Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:00 am

Sounds to me like the democratic establishment wants to give HRC the issue to beat BO over the head with. For the House to suddenly bring this up and then for the Senate to railroad it through as well just smells fishy.

Everyone knows that the President is going to veto the bill so nothing will ever come of this.

MaverickM11

Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:09 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 5):
The UN is a black hole of fiscal irresponsiblity.

So is the vast majority of "aid" ever spent...why don't we just get Bob Geldoff to tell us how to spend our money

Quoting Aloges (Reply 6):
The money has gone POOF

It's kinda like a UN project Silly

N1120A

Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:09 am

Looks like the people here have missed that the other named lead sponsor of this bill is a Republican.

.7% of our GNP/840billion USD

You really should point out that those numbers are over 13 years.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 3):

We need that $$$ here to restore schools, infrastructure, increase pay for teachers and to hell with the UN.

The last time we said "to hell with the UN" we ended up throwing far more than this down the drain.

Quoting L-188 (Reply 5):

That is an investment.

In what? In Chinese debt?

Quoting L-188 (Reply 5):

Bolton tried to clean it up

Bolton was a joke. Even if you want an organization to change, you don't send someone who advocates its destruction to accomplish that.

How so? Fuel is burnt, shells have been fired and bombs have exploded. The money has gone POOF and we're still little if at all closer to a democratic and peaceful Middle East.

We are probably farther from a democratic and peaceful Middle East.

j_hallgren

Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:19 am

Yet, people are willing to support throwing money away at a war? Huh? What's wrong with this world?

Yes, because a fair amount of that money ends up back in the US...salaries and supplies and such...and money paid to locals for same in Iraq is thus foreign aid also...

As far as the UN, I'll just "ditto" to ANCflyer's reply 3.

And the only thing I like about Obama compared to Shrillary? His voice! Her's is like a hard-drive head crash...painful to hear!

Pope

Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:25 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 9):
Even if you want an organization to change, you don't send someone who advocates its destruction to accomplish that.

Then I guess you're not in favor of a Democrat being elected commander in chief of US armed forces.

aloges

Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:26 am

Quoting J_Hallgren (Reply 10):
And the only thing I like about Obama compared to Shrillary? His voice! Her's is like a hard-drive head crash...painful to hear!

While we're on the issue of superficial personal attributes, I'd like to point out that "Shrillary's" voice is by far not the only one able to drive people up the wall. Look no further than the White House for another one.

Quoting Pope (Reply 11):
Then I guess you're not in favor of a Democrat being elected commander in chief of US armed forces.

Even after Clinton's cuts to the US forces, they were still and by far the most powerful in the world.

[Edited 2008-02-14 19:27:31]

Pope

Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:43 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 12):

Even after Clinton's cuts to the US forces, they were still and by far the most powerful in the world.

While I agree with your observation, the question wasn't whether or not US armed forces remained powerful after Clinton's presidency. Instead, my comment was a response to the observation that someone who advocates the destruction (or dismantling of an organization) shouldn't be put in charge of it.

Falcon84

Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:53 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 5):

That is an investment.

The loss of about 5,000 young Americans? An investment? And what about helping to wipe poverty out around the world if we can do it, and saving children and their lives as well? That's not?

I'm not saying I'm for this plan, but to say-with a straight face-that a war is an "investment" is just absolutely assinine. Absolutely the dumbest thing anyone has ever said on here.

I'd rather spend some money trying to save live, then in a conflict that has cost thousands of lives. Unfreakingbelievable.

Quoting L-188 (Reply 5):
is a black hole of fiscal irresponsiblity.

So has the Republican party ever since Reagan took office in 1980. Touche.

LOT767-300ER
Topic Author

Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:10 am

You really should point out that those numbers are over 13 years.

840/13 = 64.6bn per year.

With that kind of money, we could fix the interstate system in half of America and build 20 new airports, hundreds of new schools and hospitals.

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 14):
I'd rather spend some money trying to save live, then in a conflict that has cost thousands of lives. Unfreakingbelievable.

I dont like the war in Iraq either but this is BS.

You have to admit Falcon84 that this money would certainly be better spent for example on all the farmers that need out help that have run down farm buildings, pickups etc and our school/road/health systems before we go blowing it on someone else.

jpetekyxmd80

Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:13 am

Yet ANOTHER reasona Sen Obama won't get my vote . . . .

Didn't you say you would vote for Obama over McCain?

allstarflyer

Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:27 am

How about cutting back one fiscal disaster at a time?

if you want an organization to change, you don't send someone who advocates its destruction to accomplish that.

The rules, though, are different on that when it concerns the U(tter) N(onsense).  Wink

We are probably farther from a democratic and peaceful Middle East.

Totally agree. It has to take from within. That it's not really doing so over there is a bitter reality a lot of people here don't want to consider.

cfalk

Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:39 am

And what about helping to wipe poverty out around the world if we can do it, and saving children and their lives as well? That's not?

If the UN has anything to do with it, 99% of the money will either be spent in Geneva paying for huge staffs at the UN HQ or find its way into the pockets and Cayman bank accounts of third word officials and European, Russian and Chinese industrialists selling weapons and nice cars.

but to say-with a straight face-that a war is an "investment" is just absolutely assinine.

What do you call when you make a sacrifice today in return for the hope of a positive result in the future? You might not think the return is likely, but you have high-risk investments as well, like venture capital deals. The rule is that the higher the risk, the greater the potential return, and you have to admit, even if there is only a 1% chance of the Iraq policy succeeding, if it does succeed, the payback would be tremendous.

N1120A

Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:40 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 11):

No, because what you say is factually incorrect.

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 15):
840/13 = 64.6bn per year.

With that kind of money, we could fix the interstate system in half of America and build 20 new airports, hundreds of new schools and hospitals.

That is nothing compared to what is spent in Iraq.

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 16):

Yet ANOTHER reasona Sen Obama won't get my vote . . . .

You missed on that one Jpetek. ANCFlyer is a long time McCain fan

ANCFlyer

Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:45 am

The last time we said "to hell with the UN" we ended up throwing far more than this down the drain.

Problem is, we don't say "to hell with the UN enough". What has/did the UN do

a) about terrorism pre 9/11?
b) about terrorism post 9/11?
c) Darfur?
d) the little teenieboppers raising hell down near Oz . . .
e) Venezuela?
f) The Drug Flow out of South America?

C'Mon . . . you're a relatively intelligent person . . .

All I saw out of the UN in the last - 20 years - is posturing and WHOLE lot of  redflag  Resolution Passing that has been wholly ignored . . .

Looks like the people here have missed that the other named lead sponsor of this bill is a Republican.

Amittedly so . . . therefore that Republican is also a moron.

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 8):
why don't we just get Bob Geldoff to tell us how to spend our money

Why don't we just QUIT sending the Billions of $$$ anywhere, and keep it in the US . . . fund all our necessities . . . schools, roads, harbors, medical care reform, prescription drug reform, Aid for the Elderly . . . .
Who gives two shits about some 4th world craphole in the middle of Africa that WILL NOT - EVER - help themselves no matter what????

C'Mon people . . .

Not a snowballs chance in hell.

I said I would vote for Sen. Obama over Sen. Clinton . . . of course, I'd vote for the neighbors Husky before I'd vote for Hillary . . . so- well, that ain't sayin' much.

Quoting Aloges (Reply 12):

Don't go that far . . . "most powerful" is perspective. IF you look at in the "proper perspective", after Pres. Clinton's cuts - to the bone - of the military, we may be powerful, but - and I invite you to review my many, many, many posts this topic - we are but a shell of what is necessary to accomplish everything we need to be prepared to accomplish . . .

Hence the ass-kicking our troops are taking right now.

I hazard to admit that LOT7672308397840965782ER and I are in agreements on ANYTHING - but here it is . . . someone call someone . . .

jpetekyxmd80

Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:47 am

Ah, i remembered his prediction and thought that was his own preference, nevermind.

[Edited 2008-02-14 20:48:32]

N1120A

Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:55 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 21):
about terrorism

http://www.un.org/terrorism/

Darfur?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3664348.stm

the little teenieboppers raising hell down near Oz . . .

Who?

Venezuela?

Whether one likes Chavez or not, the UN really has no place there at this point.

The Drug Flow out of South America?

That is a law enforcement issue, not an international relations one.

yowza

Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:59 am

The amount of sheep on this forum is stunning. Just because some media outlets have criticized, both rightfully and wrongfully, certain UN ventures all of a sudden it's in vogue to shit on the UN. The reality is that very few people know the full scale of the UN's work, or the amount of good they have done over the years. Granted it's not the most slickly oiled machine of change but it does so much good. To flatly write off anything that falls under to UN umbrella because of certain shortcomings is ridiculous.

A lot of the UN bashing originates in messes that the UN have become embroiled due to political meddling. The oil for food program took a number of shots to the face. It was essentially hijacked by a few countries most notably the US to tighten to screws on the Iraqis. It's not a secret that the CIA put into various UN organizations agents. These individuals were well suited to their CIA tasks but put all aid work on the back burner . In the midst of the mess emerged some corruption and nepotism that has now been blanketed across the entire UN.

Had the UN been left to do it's thing it could have been a much more viable player and a respected entity. Unfortunately because it is funded by governments (who have interest to protect) segments of the UN have been bastardized. The perceived depreciation of what the UN does is the net result.

As many of you know upsetting the US government is never a tremendous idea. When the UN failed to bend over and tow the US line with regards to pinching into Iraq the spin machine came out and started disseminating the vile disdain for the UN that has been echoed on this board today. What's really interesting is that when the German and Canadians were trying to woo the UN to relocate their headquarters the US fought tooth and nail to keep it. Think about that for a second.

YOWza

ANCFlyer

Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:05 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 23):
about terrorism

http://www.un.org/terrorism/

Darfur?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/36...8.stm

I said you were a relatively smart individual . . . you gotta do better really . . .

the little teenieboppers raising hell down near Oz . . .

Who?

Ah, hell, I'm in Maui and can't be arsed to look it up . . . you know who I'm talking about, some little Island Nation where the lead terrorists is like 13 year old . . . complete with cigarette hanging from his lip and an AK-47??

Venezuela?

Whether one likes Chavez or not, the UN really has no place there at this point.

BS, Chavez (along, quite handily with the oil companies) is keeping oil futures high . . .

The Drug Flow out of South America?

That is a law enforcement issue, not an international relations one.

But wait!!!! I thought this "war on terror" was a "Police Action" also. Further, when a country like Venezuela, or Mexico, or some similiar, allows it's GOVERNMENT to look the other way - well ,we leave the realm of a "Police" issue . . .

N1120A

Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:20 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 24):

I said you were a relatively smart individual . . . you gotta do better really . . .

Hey, you asked and I answered

BS, Chavez (along, quite handily with the oil companies) is keeping oil futures high . . .

Now that is a stretch. Lets examine this one. Here are some numbers from last year, and oil is even worse now.

Since Bush's 2nd Inauguration, Gas Prices Have Risen By $1.08, a 59 Percent Increase. According the Energy Information Administration, the price of regular, unleaded, gasoline has risen by $1.08, or 58.7 percent, since Bush's 2nd inauguration. On January 17, 2005, just before Bush's second inauguration the average price of gasoline was $1.84 a gallon. As of May 4, 2006, the average price of gasoline is $2.92 a gallon. [Energy Information Administration]

Since Bush's 1st Inauguration, Gas Prices Have Risen by $1.46, a 100 Percent Increase. According to the Energy Information Administration, the price of regular, unleaded, gasoline has risen by $1.46, or 100 percent, since Bush’s 1st inauguration. On January 15, 2001 just before Bush's first inauguration the average price of gasoline was $1.46 a gallon. As of May 4, 2006, the average price of gasoline is $2.92 a gallon. [Energy Information Administration]

I thought this "war on terror" was a "Police Action" also.

The "war on terror" is as much a fallacy as the "war on drugs"

Further, when a country like Venezuela, or Mexico, or some similiar, allows it's GOVERNMENT to look the other way - well ,we leave the realm of a "Police" issue . . .

You saying we should invade Mexico?

MD-90

Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:35 am

Obama may have been the most liberal US senator of 2007 (see http://nj.nationaljournal.com/voteratings/), but at least the man isn't crazy, unlike McCain.

slider

Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:40 am

Quoting YOWza (Reply 23):
certain UN ventures all of a sudden it's in vogue to shit on the UN.

I'm consistent...it's always in vogue to shit on the UN.

For all the good they do, real or perceived, it does no good if they sit idly by and allow mass genocide to happen while promoting Cuba and Libya to human rights committees and some such crap.

Or while they allow dictators to set up shop unchecked while rebuking and reviling first world countries and simultaneously shaking them down for billions to pay for some enivronmentalist programs that is nothing but an orchestrated redistribution of wealth.

Obama and Hillary, as well as the Repuke candidates, are all part of this cabal IMHO.

yowza

Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:55 am

Quoting Slider (Reply 27):

For all the good they do, real or perceived, it does no good if they sit idly by and allow mass genocide to happen while promoting Cuba and Libya to human rights committees and some such crap.

First of all the good is very real. They are not sitting idly by, they have already pointed out the problem and have done lots in trying to get resources in place to begin fixing the problem. However, achieving this requires resolve on the part of the members. Something that has failed to happen.

Quoting Slider (Reply 27):
Or while they allow dictators to set up shop unchecked while rebuking and reviling first world countries and simultaneously shaking them down for billions to pay for some enivronmentalist programs that is nothing but an orchestrated redistribution of wealth.

OK so how about you name 5 dictators whose longevity can be attributed to UN rather than the will of Western governments? Let's be honest, the lifeblood of any dictatorship is funding. How do you kill that funding? Stop doing business with them. The Saudis for instance?

YOWza

LOT767-300ER
Topic Author

Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:59 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 20):
I hazard to admit that LOT7672308397840965782ER and I are in agreements on ANYTHING - but here it is . . . someone call someone . . .

You do realize we agree on everything except how law enforcement should be carried out. 99% of what you say I agree on... That includes This, Beer, Cars, Politics, Military, Gun Laws, Your hat, The State of Illinois and your doings just North of my fair city.

Yea I know when I came to that conclusion it also hurt and I tried to deny it...in time it sinks in though that I share the same views as cops  Silly

I think ANCflyer wants Alan Keyes for president Big grin

ANCFlyer

Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:34 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 25):
Further, when a country like Venezuela, or Mexico, or some similiar, allows it's GOVERNMENT to look the other way - well ,we leave the realm of a "Police" issue . . .

You saying we should invade Mexico?

FFS N1120A . . . that's not even where this was going and you know it. Your lawyer speak is getting the best of you tonight.

We WERE discussing the UN, and what kind of failure it is . . . IF the UN was worth a shit, and IF the UN head any interest besides it's Diplomatic Plates, and IF the US was effective, the issues south of the US border might get some attention. They do not.

I thought this "war on terror" was a "Police Action" also.

The "war on terror" is as much a fallacy as the "war on drugs"

redflag 

Can't fight it alone . . . . .

As long as there is a demand for drugs, there will be a drug war - have to kill the need as well as the supply.

The War on Terror is real. . . . where ever terror is bred, kill it off . . . and do it now, qith malice. Damn be the consqeuences.

Since Bush's 2nd Inauguration, Gas Prices Have Risen By $1.08, a 59 Percent Increase. According the Energy Information Administration, the price of regular, unleaded, gasoline has risen by $1.08, or 58.7 percent, since Bush's 2nd inauguration.

Since Bush's 1st Inauguration, Gas Prices Have Risen by $1.46, a 100 Percent Increase. According to the Energy Information Administration, the price of regular, unleaded, gasoline has risen by $1.46, or 100 percent, since Bush’s 1st inauguration.

And what relevence does this have to Chavez? Oil Prices? Wanna stop the increase, belay the BILLION E$$$$ profits of the oil companies. It won't a hoot in hell who is in the White House.

Watch this thread a year from now, and you tell me what the difference is . . . there will be none. Regulate Big Oil and you will have the answer . . . won't matter who is in the hot seat. Will a democrat to that? Not on your life . . . no more than a Republican would.

You can kid yourself and BLAME - or pretend to blame - increased oil prices on the Bush Administration, but you'll look like a fool, cause - well there's the 8 years of Clinton in the middle to account for. . .

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 26):

More drivel from the LewI'mADumbassRockwell Cheerleader . . .

N1120A

Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:38 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 30):
hat's not even where this was going and you know it.

Well then, what is the point. You can't have it both ways. Either you deal with the problem with the cops when the stuff gets here or you attack and make them hate you. Or you can just quit with the pretense and lift the ban on soft drugs, which is much of what is trafficked from Mexico. The UN's job isn't to stop the drug trade.

The War on Terror is real. . . . where ever terror is bred

"Wars" against generality are never won.

Wanna stop the increase, belay the BILLION E$$$$ profits of the oil companies. It won't a hoot in hell who is in the White House.

Really? Then how come prices were so much lower, in real dollars, when Bush wasn't president? How come Bush was filling the reserves when prices were climbing, as opposed to actually helping the economy in a meaningful way and dumping oil on the markets?

cfalk

Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:05 pm

Regulate Big Oil and you will have the answer . . .

ANC, if you let government have a hand in gasoline prices, and considering the cost of most government programs, Gasoline would end up being $2,000 per gallon.

Why does everyone bitch about Exxon making a 10% profit margin. That's hardly excessive.

ogre727

Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:03 pm

[quote=ANCFlyer,reply=20]e) Venezuela?

I am sorry, what about Venezuela? You might not like his president, I don't either, but I am not sure what you mean by this?

AirCop

Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:11 pm

Just think what the investment in our infrastructure would do to the "recession"..This is what taxes are for projects that benefit everyone. Just think of the possibilities for the American people if the government invested into R&D for high speed trains between the major metro areas. San Francisco-Los Angeles - Las Vegas - Phoenix; Dallas and Houston etc.

miamiair

Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:24 pm

And that's all I have to say about that....

Francoflier

Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:38 pm

Hold on a second...

Everybody on here is saying how much could be done in America with that money, when, for the last 5 years, the actual Republican government has done none of it while spending probably over 10 times that amount on a war whose reason remains debated to the day?

What makes anyone think that this money would be spent for those 'better causes' by any other President than Obama? And I know for a fact that Republicans aren't very fond of those 'social' expenditures...

Quoting L-188 (Reply 5):

That is an investment.

While it's scary anyone would consider a war an investment, may I ask what makes you say that?
True, the huge government spendings have helped many American companies, mostly arms manufacturers, but this money is just 'recirculating', it's certainly not helping the overall deficit.
The 'rebuilding' contracts that american companies in Irak will gain won't even make a dent in the money wasted.
American oil companies will gain access to the local oil, but let's face it, they already had it before.
I'm no finance expert, but I fail to see what possible gain could come from this war that would offset the monumental spending...

yowza

Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:23 pm

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 35):

And that's all I have to say about that....

How very educated of you to 100% echo the musings of somebody else, that shows a lot of insight.  Yeah sure

As for the content you provided, based on just how ridiculously racist, backward and flat out wrong a lot of the content on that site is your echoed opinion is even less meaningful than it already was.

YOWza

miamiair

Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:35 pm

Quoting YOWza (Reply 37):
As for the content you provided, based on just how ridiculously racist, backward and flat out wrong a lot of the content on that site is your echoed opinion is even less meaningful than it already was.

have you had your coffee yet?

Racist is a strong word there, buckaroo.

SQ325

Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:19 pm

to such crap like Kyoto..

I know environment protection is not a big thing in the US!
Maybe it needs another New Orleans, because you know warmer sea water creates stronger Hurricanes
Greenhouse effect supports the climate warming, climate warning results in a warmer sea!
To reduce the global warming reducing the carbon dioxide emissions is the only way!

Being one of the world leading economies does create a certain responsibility for the planet but also for following generations of US americans.
This responsibility is not complied with by exporting Burger King or "democracy"

I get pissed when I read such statements as it shows a huge disrespect to the rest of the world.

FriendlySkies

Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:03 pm

Screw these third world countries that will NEVER improve no matter how much $$$$ wse toss at them.

Like Iraq?

Halcyon

Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:46 pm

Quoting FriendlySkies (Reply 40):
Like Iraq?

Yes, we shouldn't have gone there and we don't need to go give away hundreds of billions of dollars.

SQ325

Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:09 pm

Quoting Halcyon (Reply 41):
Quoting FriendlySkies (Reply 40):
Like Iraq?

Yes, we shouldn't have gone there and we don't need to go give away hundreds of billions of dollars.

But because you went there and messed everything you need to pay the bill!
The least thing you (american government) is build this country up again!

Halcyon

Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:31 pm

Quoting SQ325 (Reply 42):

But because you went there and messed everything you need to pay the bill!

We don't NEED to pay ANYTHING to the UN. Period. Iraq is a tiny slice of "global poverty." If I am understanding you correctly, you are saying that we don't need to build America up again? If that's so, what the crap?

What we need to do is quit pandering to the UN and stick up for ourselves by having strong forces as a deterrent. Although we need to help support Iraq as we're largely responsible (The good with the bad.), this shouldn't be accomplished through global taxes on carbon credits. Period. End of story.

N1120A

Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:38 pm

Quoting Halcyon (Reply 43):

We don't NEED to pay ANYTHING to the UN. Period.

So, you don't believe in honoring contracts?

Halcyon

Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:05 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 44):
So, you don't believe in honoring contracts?

Hmm, a leading question? Yes it is! I think that it's retarded from the beginning to the end and would like to have no part of it, period. It's detrimental to us, and, although you might like that, it ticks me off.

N1120A

Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:16 pm

Quoting Halcyon (Reply 45):
although you might like that, it ticks me off.

So, then you do believe that we shouldn't honor contracts.

Halcyon

Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:23 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 46):

Pointless ones that power-hungry people who don't represent my interests made with other power-hungry people who don't even bother to seem as the former? Surely not. Of course, that's just my opinion. The US needs to be responsible for
1-Itself
2-The messes that it has created
3-Itself

We aren't the police of the world, and we shouldn't be policing poverty either. I wish it was like ST:TNG where we had a prime directive...developing nations need to develop without interference from governments. Can the PC help? Sure. Can individuals help? Sure. Should governing bodies help? Not while they are corrupt and screw crap up.

N1120A

Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:25 pm

Quoting Halcyon (Reply 47):

Pointless ones that power-hungry people who don't represent my interests made with other power-hungry people who don't even bother to seem as the former?

Last I checked, the UN was founded to keep power hungry people from conquering the world.

Quoting Halcyon (Reply 47):

We aren't the police of the world

Ever read the Monroe Doctrine?

Halcyon

Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:35 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 48):

Last I checked, the UN was founded to keep power hungry people from conquering the world.

And and guns are often kept to protect people, but in the wrong hands it doesn't work.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 48):
Ever read the Monroe Doctrine?

What you really mean is, "Have you ever been through eighth grade?"