RNOcommctr
Topic Author

Explorer Vs. Firefox Vs.....?

Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:34 am

What internet browser do you prefer? I just downloaded IE7 and I am not sure I like it. For one thing, I notice there is no download manager. (Speaking of which, just where do the downloads go if you can't see them in a Download Manager?) Anyway, I will try it for awhile. But Firefox seems to have some attractive features as well. In the past, I have used Netscape but it seems no one talks about Netscape anymore. Are they still an active company?

So... what's your favorite browser... and why?
Active loading only, ma'am, keep it moving!

Fantikerz

RE: Explorer Vs. Firefox Vs.....?

Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:40 am

I prefer anything over IE7 really, and that's Firefox, Safari 3 for windows, and Flock. Firefox being my main browser.
Firefox is fast, and with a few tweaks, you can make it faster. There are also some very nice addons.  Smile

And yes, Netscape is fairly dead.

Fantikerz

[Edited 2008-02-18 16:57:34]

roadrunner165

Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:49 am

Usually Mozilla....
I see no ads on this website, thanks to some extensions.

But since I bought an Macbook last month, I now use Safari.

Adam

unattendedbag

Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:53 am

netscape baby!
Slower traffic, keep right

ShyFlyer

Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:15 am

Count me in as a Firefox fan. I've had a grudge against IE ever since it was integrated into Windows. These days, I only use IE to visit the Windows Update page and if I encounter a website that just won't function/display properly in Firefox.
I lift things up and put them down.

Klaus

Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:43 am

iCab and Safari.

KPWM

Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:44 am

Firefox is simple and quick. Nothing popes up of blinks at you. Plus it opens really quickly.

So my favorite would be Firefox.

AirTranTUS

Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:51 am

There really is no better choice than Firefox. But then there are websites with embedded video (MSNBC and other news sites which should automatically open WMP) where Firefox has trouble and I have to go hunting for my IE icon.
I love ASO!

PA110

Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:55 am

Firefox. Best browser period.
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.

Jetsgo

Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:03 am

Firefox hands down. Firefox 3 is set to come out soon. Open source is just amazing. I also used Opera for a while which was decent. It was better then IE, although not as good as Firefox. I have tried Safari but personally don't care for it.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

AF340

Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:04 am

Maxthon, the best for sure!

It's Chinese but it is actually good...

-It blocks all ads (better than Firefox)
-Fast
-Compatible with IE sites
-Different skins, looks cool

I'd recommend it for anyone!

See here

Download

I also like Opera (no it's not the slowest browser, I checked)

Liam spin 

OlegShv

Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:07 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 5):
Safari.

I don't like Safari - it's a horrible resource hog. Firefox all the way!

a380us

Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:08 am

Firefox over here  Big grin  Big grin
www.JandACosmetics.com

Klaus

Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:20 am

Quoting OlegShv (Reply 11):
I don't like Safari - it's a horrible resource hog. Firefox all the way!

Firefox is clumsy, ugly and not really fast in my experience. It looks and behaves like a throwback to several years ago.

Safari is by far the fastest of the browsers I've tried so far (and the upcoming next version will be substantially faster again). It tends to cache a lot, so if you've got a shortage of memory anyway, you'll see a lot of swapping.

iCab unites the advantages of Safari (fast WebKit engine) with very detailed fine-tuning capabilities. I only need FireFox about once or twice per year to make compatibility tests.

WebKit is at least one of the most standards-compliant engines around, so it generally works pretty well, too.

[Edited 2008-02-18 18:23:35]

Jetsgo

Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:26 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 13):

Firefox is clumsy, ugly and not really fast in my experience. It looks and behaves like a throwback to several years ago.

Spoken like a true Mac cheerleader.  Smile Firefox works extremely well, is organized, and looks like any other internet browser, minus Safari. Also, there are many different skins which may appeal to you.

Safari is by far the fastest of the browsers I've tried so far

I find Firefox 3 Beta to be much faster then Safari...I have both installed on my machine.

[Edited 2008-02-18 18:27:07]

ebs757

Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:32 am

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 7):
There really is no better choice than Firefox. But then there are websites with embedded video (MSNBC and other news sites which should automatically open WMP) where Firefox has trouble and I have to go hunting for my IE icon.

Google wmp plug in and download the extension. Very simple

Firefox is clumsy, ugly

Give me a break. Go figure an apple fan boy has to put the word ugly into the equation. If safari runs anything like it does on windows on Mac its absolute garbage and a big resource hog.

Firefox for me

[Edited 2008-02-18 18:33:08]
Viva la Vida

Klaus

Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:36 am

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 14):
Spoken like a true Mac cheerleader.

Just from experience - browsers are among my most frequently used applications, and one that sticks out like a sore thumb with its sloppy adaptation to MacOS X is simply at a disadvantage. What it has over Safari can be had more conveniently with iCab while still using the WebKit engine.

Firefox works extremely well, is organized, and looks like any other internet browser, minus Safari. Also, there are many different skins which may appeal to you.

Nope. Skins can't hide its main problems either.

I find Firefox 3 Beta to be much faster then Safari...I have both installed on my machine.

What kind of system? Which OS? How much RAM? What kind of pages?

OlegShv

Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:42 am

Safari is by far the fastest of the browsers I've tried so far (and the upcoming next version will be substantially faster again). It tends to cache a lot, so if you've got a shortage of memory anyway, you'll see a lot of swapping.

I know first hand that Apple's software is usually faster with each new version. I agree that Safari's rendering speed is quite high. May be I should just upgrade to a new machine - my PowerBook G4 1.3GHz is already over 3.5 years old  Wink
I haven't tried iCab though.

ebs757

Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:42 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 16):

And those main problems? What are they again?
Viva la Vida

Klaus

Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:10 am

Quoting OlegShv (Reply 17):
May be I should just upgrade to a new machine - my PowerBook G4 1.3GHz is already over 3.5 years old

You'd get a major speed bump, that much is certain; But the upcoming WebKit version has been described as "several times as fast" as the current one which is already very fast, so even (or especially!) older machines should benefit from that.

I haven't tried iCab though.

It's definitely worth a look: iCab

Among other things its page rendering which always looks like it's done under Windows. They've apparently fixed some of the most glaring usage inconsistencies in the latest version, but it's still far less versatile than iCab; So generally I use iCab with my own very specific configuration (including numerous site-specific settings) and in some cases when I can't be bothered to switch off my customized restrictions for a specific site I use Safari. I have no use for FireFox at this point which fills neither role very well.

OlegShv

Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:26 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 19):
It's definitely worth a look: iCab

Thanks! I'll have to try it.

BN747

Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:51 am

Safari blows... Firefox is okay, but Camino rocks (MAC users only).

BTW, any PC users, how do you do screenshots on a PC?

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

j_hallgren

Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:00 am

Quoting BN747 (Reply 21):

I've used Gadwin Print Screen for a few yrs now...makes it quick and easy to get an auto-named JPG.
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

ebs757

Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:08 am

I hit print screen and got to Irfan view (photo viewer) and click paste. Then I can do what I want with the image from there.
Viva la Vida

BN747

Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:08 am

Quoting J_Hallgren (Reply 22):
I've used Gadwin Print Screen for a few yrs now...makes it quick and easy to get an auto-named JPG.

Looks like it'll get the job done,,,,Thanks!

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

Jetsgo

Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:23 am

one that sticks out like a sore thumb with its sloppy adaptation to MacOS X is simply at a disadvantage.

Same could be said for Safari. It uses an odd font and makes everything look too bubbly. Not really a good adaptation to Windows. Btw, is there a way to change it since that is the standard default for Windows Safari?

None of which have any relevance based of your reply to OlegShv. Besides, you said it's UI was ugly, hence why I pointed out the available skins...

Windows Vista Home Premium, AMD 64 Live, 3GB RAM, all pages from email, to airliners, to online gaming.
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Maybe it's just a different experience entirely for a Windows/Mac user using Firefox/Safari, I'm not sure since I don't use Mac. But my main point is, regardless of your Mac bias, Firefox is hardly the program you are making it out to be.

NWA742

Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:30 am

Just from experience

Just from bias.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

ebs757

Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:49 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 26):

Just from bias.

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 
Viva la Vida

nirmalmakadia

Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:05 am

After using IE7, I changed to Firefox. Now I use IE7 only when certain websites dose not open on Firefox.

Regards

Nirmal  wave 

wardialer

Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:09 am

Hi folks,

No matter what browser you use, it does not matter. Security is not a product..its a process.
Also, its all about the operating system...If Windows or any OS is locked down generally, then it does not matter which browser one uses. Because guess what....once malicous code get executed from the browser, it goes directly into the operating systems files anyway...

Rule of thumb...DO NOT run as Administrator, disable services what you dont need. Also, COMMON SENSE IS THE KEY HERE....Dont visit sites that may expose you to malicious code....

I am still using IE....and never got infected because the overall Windows is secured and locked down as possible.

So, dies not matter which browser one uses....As long as the OS itself is secured as possible.

[Edited 2008-02-18 22:11:07]

sunshine79

Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:16 am

Got to be Firefox, although sometimes I have to go to IE7 for one or two websites.
Formerly alcregular, Why drive when you can fly?

Jetsgo

Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:55 am

Quoting Wardialer (Reply 29):

A secure browser is the first step to keeping your machine clean and functional. It is of utmost importance.

[Edited 2008-02-18 23:56:14]

NWA742

Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:12 am

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 31):
A secure browser is the first step to keeping your machine clean and functional. It is of utmost importance.

Actually it's not.

The first step in establishing your information security is being knowledgeable and aware of possible threats, knowing what those threats are, and being able to attempt the best possible ways to avoid, detect, and counter them.

Technology is very helpful, but it really boils down to your own knowledge. Your average internet user doesn't know anything about information security, and they may be initially safer with a more secure browser, but the security won't last - they aren't that safe at all to begin with if they lack knowledge. All it takes is for them to unknowingly type information into the wrong place, open an .exe file on a seemingly innocent email, or come across a webpage that ends up putting a nasty virus, worm, or any other piece of malware on their system.

All it takes is one mistake. The lack of knowledge will do the rest.

-NWA742

[Edited 2008-02-19 00:14:32]
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

Jetsgo

Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:16 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 32):

I would agree that what you are saying is the most important step. I probably should have said a secure browser is the first line of defense assuming you have already educated yourself. Basically, which browser you use is important, opposed to Wardialer was implying.

airfoilsguy

Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:00 am

http://www.jimbrooks.org/web/aviation/full/firefox.jpg
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

FriendlySkies

Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:36 pm

I swear by Firefox. I use IE7 at work, but at home I never use it. It's just slow and awkward compared to FF. Only downside is FF uses a lot of memory (I got it up to 990MB once), but I have 3GB so I don't really care.

Rj111

Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:05 pm

Apparently FF is good. But i've never had a problem with IE and i'm too used to it to want to change.

FriendlySkies

Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:12 pm

Quoting Ebs757 (Reply 18):

It isn't made by Apple.  Wink

DAL767400ER

Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:24 pm

Firefox all the way, though I will say that Opera is also quite a nice browser. Haven't seen an ad in FF in years, have encountered way less scripts, and have downloaded larger quantities of pics and vids at faster speed. Overall winner in my book.

"Print Screen", "Strg+C", open Paint or other program, "Strg+V"
Alternatively, use FSScreen. Doesn't use much resources, and just a hit of "Print Screen" will automatically generate a Bitmap file. Yes, not the best format, but nothing a quick conversion can't help overcome  Wink . Also make sure you have a seperate folder for screenshots in which FSScreen itself is. If it is on the desktop, it would just save all screenshots on your desktop and soon flood it.

carmenlu15

Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:29 pm

'Nuff said... Big grin
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

Klaus

Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:23 am

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 25):
one that sticks out like a sore thumb with its sloppy adaptation to MacOS X is simply at a disadvantage.

Same could be said for Safari. It uses an odd font and makes everything look too bubbly. Not really a good adaptation to Windows. Btw, is there a way to change it since that is the standard default for Windows Safari?

You do have a point there - Safari always uses the same font rendering, even under Windows: It is typographically more precise but indeed a departure from the font mangling under Windows which at least I find rather ugly:

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2007/06/12.html
Font smoothing, anti-aliasing, and sub-pixel rendering - Joel on Software

The Windows rendering is designed for screens with very low resolutions, the fonts be screwed. The Apple rendering is designed with an emphasis on typographic correct presentation, accepting a slight penalty in "sharpness" but presenting a smoother, less blotchy and more readable text overall.

I also detest "sub-pixel rendering" with its coloured edges, looking like a bad analog TV transmission (as seen above), so I keep it switched off (Appearance preference - Font smoothing style: Standard - best for CRT).

And no, Safari does not use the Windows font renderer. Ever.

Windows Vista Home Premium, AMD 64 Live, 3GB RAM, all pages from email, to airliners, to online gaming.

I've not used Safari under Windows yet, but from what I've heard so far it looks like an anomaly if Safari is notably slower than IE.

Maybe it's just a different experience entirely for a Windows/Mac user using Firefox/Safari, I'm not sure since I don't use Mac. But my main point is, regardless of your Mac bias, Firefox is hardly the program you are making it out to be.

In direct comparison with the available alternatives on the Mac it's just not in the running for me. I've got it installed "just in case", but it's just not a contendeder for regular use.

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 26):
Just from experience

Just from bias.

My "bias" is the result of experience!

Quoting Wardialer (Reply 29):
No matter what browser you use, it does not matter. Security is not a product..its a process.

Yes and no - part of behaving cautiously is choosing the programs one uses with caution. And IE is simply a major risk factor. Somewhat less so under Vista, but certainly under the older Windows variants.

Ryan h

Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:14 am

I am a firefox user. Got sick and tired of IE 6 and then 7 having a block everything or nothing approach. Take a.net for example, I would set the ad blocker to block the ads, but when I click on a photo the ad blocker would block that too, so I would have to click the allow message which was in a little bar at the top of the screen and then the photo would open.

The ad blocker in firefox is a lot smarter in that it blocks the ads, but it knows when I have clicked on a link that wants to open in a new window and it will let it through.
South Australian Spotter

Toast

Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:26 pm

Been using FF for years, but Opera is IMO best for downloads (good built-in download manager). When I removed IE from my system (had to use dynamite on the tenacious bugger), it destabilized XP, so I got it back now. Strictly for Microsoft Update and the very occasional page that won't work in FF.

Too bad FF is such a awful RAM and CPU hog. It's worse than Opera and even IE in that respect. But I just can't live without those extensions.

[Edited 2008-02-20 04:52:22]
Shit Piss Fuck Cunt Cocksucker Motherfucker Tits

Klaus

Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:43 pm

Quoting Toast (Reply 42):
Been using FF for years, but Opera is IMO best for downloads (good built-in download manager).

Right... iCab also has an excellent download manager built in. Just failed to mention it above.

mham001

Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:58 pm

I've been using Firefox for 2-3 years now, but lets not get carried away. It is far from perfect and many pros are saying
IE7 has closed the gap with FF.

I'd really like to see these claims of superior speed verified.

kmh1956

Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:35 pm

I use IE at work (no choice....I use a PC at work, too...no choice). At home, I use Firefox on my iBook.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

austinairport

Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:50 pm

opera is good too. =]
Whoever said you can do anything you set your mind to has obviously never tried to slam a revolving door!!!

Dougloid

Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:23 pm

Quoting RNOcommctr (Thread starter):
What internet browser do you prefer? I just downloaded IE7 and I am not sure I like it. For one thing, I notice there is no download manager. (Speaking of which, just where do the downloads go if you can't see them in a Download Manager?) Anyway, I will try it for awhile.

If you are trying out IE7 with XP and you decide you want to revert to IE6 because IE7 sucks, you will have problems that ultimately will lead you to a windows reinstall.

You will start getting random shutdowns and crashes and a message "could not locate the file stiaspi.dll" even though the god damned file is right where it's supposed to be.

Trust me. This WILL happen.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

NWA742

Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:40 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 40):
My "bias" is the result of experience!

Fixed:

"My bias is the result of my obsession."

Smile

-NWA742

Klaus

Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 48):
"My bias is the result of my obsession."

I'm sorry to hear that.