Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

acho
Topic Author

Champions League Finals

Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:15 am

Th champions league finals started yesterday, I was able to watch some of the matches and they were quite good, here are the results so far:

Tuesday 19:

Schalke 1- 0 Porto
Roma 2 - 1 Real Madrid
Olympiacos 0 - 0Chelsea
Liverpool 2 - 0 Inter

Wednesday 20:

Celtic 2 - 3 Barcelona
Lyon 1 - 1 Manchester United
Fenerbahce 3 - 2 Sevilla
Arsenal 0 - 0 Milan

I was pissed of that Roma won, Real Madrid had that game, they are going to have to settle it in the Bernabeau.

In the Liverpool - Inter match the Gerrad's goal was awesome, great way to finish the match.

Although I hate Barcelona (Real Madrid is the best) I have to say they played a great match, Messi was brilliant, great goal by Henry.

I found the Arsenal - Milan match disapointing.

davehammer

RE: Champions League Finals

Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:18 am

Man Utd's equaliser against Lyon was crucial and swung the tie completely. I can see Real possibly winning it this year as well.

acho
Topic Author

Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:17 pm

The second leg is happening as I write this...impressive goal by Xavi.

sandrozrh

Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:55 pm

Milan - Arsenal 0-2  bigthumbsup   goodvibes   hyper   praise   thumbsup   bouncy 

Bye Milan!

DAL767400ER

Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:09 pm

What, Milan is out? You mean Berlusconi didn't bribe the necessary refs this time  Silly ?

Rj111

Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:10 pm

What a great performance by Arsenal, totally schooling milan. Big grin

But also respects to the great Paulo Maldini who finally bows out of European Cup football after 108 appearances and 5 tournament wins.  Sad

CXfirst

Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:24 pm

MAN U are in as well with a 1-0 win at home!!! Big grin

Barcelona are through (although that was really expected)

The Fenerbahce - Sevilla game ended 2-3 and went into extra time. In extra time, they have both scored so the aggregate stands at 6-6 now!!!

-CXfirst

Longhornmaniac

Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:27 pm

Ronaldo had a great strike with his left foot to seal the deal for Man U!  biggrin .

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

[email protected]

Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:30 pm

Arsenal 2-0 AC Milan!!!

What a result! What a performance!! It's a historic night for us, bringing back memories of beating Real Madrid, Juventus and the destruction of Inter five years ago. Cesc Fabregas ran the show, what a player!.
In Arsene we trust!!

eicvd

Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:43 pm

This is the gunners year. Thoroughly deserved to get to the quarters after outplaying Milan in both ties. Bring on utd in the next round  Wink
COYBIB

acho
Topic Author

Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:51 pm

I can't believe Sevilla got knocked out, great game.

CXfirst

Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:05 am

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 6):
The Fenerbahce - Sevilla game ended 2-3 and went into extra time. In extra time, they have both scored so the aggregate stands at 6-6 now!!!

Sorry, that was incorrect, I was watching a live match report feature, and saw 6-6. I thought that meant they both scored in extra time. However, it was just the two first goals in the penalty shoot-out.

It's not often that a game that ended 3-2 in the first leg does not often end with a penalty shoot-out, it has to end 2-3.

Pretty glad about the results, however, would have been happier if Celtic had won (easier for Man U). Not sure who I would have preffered to win, Milan or Arsenal. Milan have an act of beating Man U, however I don't want to risk having Arsenal beat Man U. So, in reality, I didn't really care who won that game.

Maybe Arsenal will focus more on UCL and lose in the EPL Big grin

-CXfirst

Foxy

Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:38 pm

Was thinking earlier. I think theres a really good chance both of the European trophies could go back to just one city this year. You have to fancy Everton or Spurs to win the Uefa Cup. As far as the Champions League is concerned, you can never discount Liverpool and if Arsenal keep performing the way they did last night in Milan then you can see them being able to beat any other team in the competition.

Be impressive if we have a Everton V Liverpool or Spurs V Arsenal European Super Cup final

CXfirst

Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:46 pm

Roma beat Real Madrid again and go through with a 4-2 aggregate. Well Done!!! Chelsea beat Olympiacos 3-0 at home and will also go through. Schalke Beat Porto 4-1 on penalties to go through (1-1 aggregate).

Liverpool will play on the 11/03.

Every England team is through, except Liverpool, who are still to play.

-CXfirst

Rj111

Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:11 pm

Wow Madrid out, had them down as strong contendors.

So the current pot looks like...

Arsenal
Barcelona
Chelsea
Fenebache
Liverpool (Inter outsiders)
Man Utd
Roma
Shalke 04

Can an English team make the final for the 4th year in a row?

acho
Topic Author

Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:09 am

I am so pissed off that Real Madrid are out, Roma played good, but I feel that Madrid was better. I guess it was just bad luck, a lot of missed chances by Real. I just hope Barcelona get knocked out in the next leg.

CXfirst

Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:10 am

Quoting RJ111 (Reply 14):
Liverpool (Inter outsiders)

I wouldn't be too quick to say that. Yes, they did win their home game 2-0, but the Milan-Arsenal game is the first game that any English team has beaten the Milan team at the San Siro. I don't expect Liverpool to beat Inter Milan away, and that could easily end 3-0 to Milan. However, if Liverpool score one goal, Inter needs at least 4.

I would bet my money on Liverpool (not winning, but winning on aggregate or away-goal rule), but I wouldn't count Inter out.

If Liverpool win, that means half of the teams through are English. Using that (not thinking about the stronger team), the chances are that one English team gets through, and one non-English team goes through.

-CXfirst

Rj111

Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:48 am

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 16):
I wouldn't be too quick to say that.

I would, i'm not saying Inter can't go through, but they're quite clearly outsiders. I'd say there's about a 10% chance of them going through.

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 16):
Yes, they did win their home game 2-0, but the Milan-Arsenal game is the first game that any English team has beaten the Milan team at the San Siro.

It's the first time an English team has beaten AC Milan at the San Siro. But Arsenal beat Inter Milan ~3 years ago a whopping 5-1 there.

I fully expect Liverpool to go through.

ryanb741

Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:52 am

There is a gulf in class between the top Italian teams and the top English teams at present and I would expect Liverpool to grind out a 0-0 or 1-1 to go through. I can't see Inter scoring three times against Liverpool without reply
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

CXfirst

Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:40 am

Quoting RJ111 (Reply 17):
It's the first time an English team has beaten AC Milan at the San Siro. But Arsenal beat Inter Milan ~3 years ago a whopping 5-1 there.

my bad.

Liverpool haven't had their greatest season.

But, there is one thing we can be certain, If Inter beat Liverpool and go through, good bye Rafael

-CXfirst

scbriml

Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:59 am

You mean a team of highly paid foreign players based in England, as opposed to a team mainly composed of English players?  duck 

I think I may be a  grumpy  old git!
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Rj111

Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:16 pm

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 20):
You mean a team of highly paid foreign players based in England, as opposed to a team mainly composed of English players?

I think I may be a git!

I was thinking that as i typed  Silly

At least Theo Walcott made the second Arsenal goal. *Straws firmly clutched*

CXfirst

Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:21 pm

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 20):
You mean a team of highly paid foreign players based in England, as opposed to a team mainly composed of English players?

Well............there a couple English players Big grin

-CXfirst

PS - MAN U will win the EPL, FA CUP and UCL, going for the TREBLE AGAIN!!!!

eicvd

Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:32 pm

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 22):

In your dreams mate. Man Utd can have the FA CUP. The EPL & UCL is going to the emirates  Wink.
Arsenal-Barcelona final. Its fate
COYBIB

CXfirst

Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:13 pm

Quoting EICVD (Reply 23):
In your dreams mate. Man Utd can have the FA CUP. The EPL & UCL is going to the emirates .
Arsenal-Barcelona final. Its fate

No, Man U will beat Arsenal on goal difference in the EPL, and Man U are going to do a stoppage time turnaround in the UCL against Bayern.......ahhh, Bayern aren't in anymore.......well it will have to be another team this time Big grin

-CXfirst

eicvd

Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:35 pm

You must not have much faith in your team CXfirst if you think they'll need them late late goals to win  Silly
Seriously though i'll go mad if Utd win the treble. We'll never hear the end of it over here as 95% of the population support either Liverpool or Man Utd  banghead 
COYBIB

Farnborough24

Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:28 am

Hate to say it, but Arsenal won't have the legs to go the distance in the Premier League, and United will wrap that up with 2 games to go. As for the UCL, I'm starting to get a really nasty feeling about Liverpool...Torres is a man on fire, Gerrard is still a class act, and we know that the gods always seem to be on their side in Europe anyway. I hate Liverpool with a passion, but of the remaining 8 (assuming they get a result against Inter, which I'm confident of), they're the ones jumping out at me. United looked average against Lyon, and havn't produced in Europe for years, Arsenal only need Fabregas to be injured and the wheels will come off, Chelsea keep plugging away but will very probably end up getting Liverpool again, sharing another excrutiating 2 ties with about 2 shots on goal and will go out, and I really don't see Fenerbache, Schalke or Roma mounting a serious challenge. Which leaves Barcelona, who aren't really what they were, and much as they looked good against Celtic, Celtic are an average side more at home in the Uefa cup along with Rangers. I think against a better side Barca's shortcomings would be exposed-Ronaldinho a shadow of his former self, Messi out injured, still rubbish in defence...I don't see them winning it, I really don't.

As I say, I hate to say it, but via the process of elimination I'm pretty much left with Liverpool as the winners. I really hope not, seeing as we'll have another season of 'we're the best ever, we've won 18 million trophies, and finished fourth AGAIN (just)', but does anybody want to contradict me on what I've said about all the others above?
My Saab 9000-the chav eater!

Avianca

Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:33 am

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 4):
You mean Berlusconi didn't bribe the necessary refs this time Silly ?

lol

well lets see if Schalke will pass the next round ?
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

Rj111

Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:39 pm

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 22):

rotfl 

Down at the first hurdle.

RacingGreen07

Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:44 pm

Quoting RJ111 (Reply 28):

You can rule out the F.A. cup...I like the enthusiasm though!!
A dream worth having is a dream worth pursuing- August Horch- Founder of Audi AG

Rj111

Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:46 pm

Quoting Farnborough24 (Reply 26):
Arsenal only need Fabregas to be injured and the wheels will come off,

Don't be ridiculous. What i saw on Tuesday night (and this whole season) was one of the best team performances Arsenal have ever produced.

Cesc, Flamini, Hleb and Adebayor can all win a game for Arsenal.

legoguy

Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:49 pm

United are slightly screwed now as their top two goal keepers are out of action.  Angry
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

davehammer

Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:14 pm

That decision was poor. There was no way that Kuczak was the last man. Luckily for them Foster seems to be back. Still see Utd winning the prem. Arsenal's recent league performances have been poor and as is traditional with Arsenal they get an excellent champs league result and people think they'll dominate forever. Not to take anything away from them but the media and a lot of Arsenal fans I come in contact with seem to forget that. To be honest I look forward to a great race for the title.

[email protected]

Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:49 pm

Quoting Davehammer (Reply 32):
Arsenal's recent league performances have been poor and as is traditional with Arsenal they get an excellent champs league result and people think they'll dominate forever. Not to take anything away from them but the media and a lot of Arsenal fans I come in contact with seem to forget that

And why wouldn't we? Less than a year ago Man Utd went to the San Siro and got raped by Kaka and co, we went there in an apparent "crisis", about to implode, about to fall apart (how many times have we heard that about Arsenal?) and gave them a footballing lesson. Perhaps we are getting a little excited, but Man Utd fans are equally guilty, how many times have we heard about another "treble"? lol. Portsmouth anyone?
In Arsene we trust!!

eicvd

Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:15 pm

Quoting [email protected]LHR (Reply 33):

Agree with you 100% [email protected]LHR .People say Fabregas runs the team but Flamini does just an important job. Can see him being the next gunners captain. As long as Arsenal win something & Utd win nothing i'll be very happy  Big grin. Anyway Barnsley for the FA cup anyone?
COYBIB

davehammer

Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:53 am

That Milan side wasn't the Milan side that Man Utd faced last year by any stretch. Yep Man Utd fans are often guilty of the same but I don't know many of them so I don't get them going on about it to me 24/7!

Yep Arsenal are a top side, great to watch and have got a brilliant result, congrats to them, but all I'm saying is that its most definitely not over yet. Especially the way this season is going, I think anything could happen!

CXfirst

Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:18 pm

Quoting EICVD (Reply 25):
You must not have much faith in your team CXfirst if you think they'll need them late late goals to win Silly

I don't wanna ruin the excitement, do I?  Wink

Quoting RJ111 (Reply 30):
Don't be ridiculous. What i saw on Tuesday night (and this whole season) was one of the best team performances Arsenal have ever produced.

Cesc, Flamini, Hleb and Adebayor can all win a game for Arsenal.

They can have an excellent game, but I don't think they'll be able to keep this up for the rest of the season. There's too many games left.

Seems the treble is now out of the question, such an unfair result.  Sad

Well, we can still win the EPL and UCL!!!!

-CXfirst

[email protected]

Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:14 pm

Quoting Davehammer (Reply 35):
That Milan side wasn't the Milan side that Man Utd faced last year by any stretch.

That's just false, this is the team that faced Man Utd last year at the San Siro:

Dida
Kaladze
Nesta
Oddo
Jankulovski
Ambrosini
Gattuso
Seedorf
Pirlo
Kaka
Inzaghi

Minus Dida and Seedorf and Jankulovski we played the same team last week, with Alexander Pato and Maldini.

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 36):
They can have an excellent game, but I don't think they'll be able to keep this up for the rest of the season. There's too many games left.

That's funny, Man Utd have lost more games than Arsenal this season yet people still convinced they're better.
In Arsene we trust!!

davehammer

Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:13 pm

You cant underestimate the importance of Seedorf in that side and Jankulovski's a big miss but Milan haven't been playing at anything like their standard last year for a long time now. They've been awful in Serie A.

While I don't think there's much to choose between yourselves and Man Utd, the 4-0 kicking they handed out to you the other week may form some of this judgement.

[email protected]

Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:37 pm

Quoting Davehammer (Reply 38):
You cant underestimate the importance of Seedorf in that side and Jankulovski's a big miss but Milan haven't been playing at anything like their standard last year for a long time now. They've been awful in Serie A.

That's purely an excuse, Milan are not a one-man team, they would have beaten you with or without Seedorf. As for Milan being poor in Serie A, well that's excuse No.2. If they played us off the park nobody would mention their league form would they? They'd be hailed as masters of the European game (which they are).

Quoting Davehammer (Reply 38):
While I don't think there's much to choose between yourselves and Man Utd, the 4-0 kicking they handed out to you the other week may form some of this judgement.

That 4-0 loss was in the FA cup, it was a freak one-off result, do you really believe you are going to beat us by that kind of score again in the league game at Old Trafford? With hopefully Van Persie and Toure playing in the team? We beat you home and away last season! You might still beat us in April but not 4-0! But i am slightly more pessimistic today after our dreadful performance against Wigan, we've dropped 6 points out of 9 in the last three games. All to play for still.
In Arsene we trust!!

eicvd

Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:35 pm

Its Utd's league to lose now. That pitch was a discrase (no excuse), its just so frustrating how arsenal try to walk the ball in in every match  banghead . Im hoping Chelsea & Liverpool will the gunners a big favour & beat Utd  pray  (providing Arsenal dont lose anymore points by then)
COYBIB

Farnborough24

Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:15 pm

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 39):
That 4-0 loss was in the FA cup, it was a freak one-off result, do you really believe you are going to beat us by that kind of score again in the league game at Old Trafford? With hopefully Van Persie and Toure playing in the team? We beat you home and away last season! You might still beat us in April but not 4-0! But i am slightly more pessimistic today after our dreadful performance against Wigan, we've dropped 6 points out of 9 in the last three games. All to play for still.

Surely then I could just say the Arsenal result in the San Siro was a freak? Granted, you played well at the Emirates aswell, and would have won that tie but for the sitter Adebayor missed, but I still think United look the more complete package in the Premiership. Arsenal this season are slowly but surely going back to their old ways of going away to weaker Northern teams and getting poor draws where United are picking up points. Even at home they aren't killing teams off the way they were earlier in the season-look at the Villa game the other week. You scraped a draw there. Great performance in the Champions League the other night, I won't deny, but in the league they look to be heading back to their old ways.

As for the Fabregas thing, yes, Arsenal have plenty of other matchwinners, but if you ask me he's the one that links it all together. I think without Fabregas the others wouldn't play half as well, purely because Fabregas is an absolute class act. Arsenal wouldn't be rubbish without him, but I don't see them winning the Champions League without him. With him, perhaps, but I'd still fancy Liverpool above Arsenal. This isn't to say of the remaining 8 (assuming Liverpool do the job in Milan on Wednesday) Arsenal wouldn't be ones I'd most want to win it.
My Saab 9000-the chav eater!

eicvd

Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:22 pm

[quote=Farnborough24,reply=41][Surely then I could just say the Arsenal result in the San Siro was a freak? Granted, you played well at the Emirates aswell, and would have won that tie but for the sitter Adebayor missed, but I still think United look the more complete package in the Premiership. Arsenal this season are slowly but surely going back to their old ways of going away to weaker Northern teams and getting poor draws where United are picking up points. Even at home they aren't killing teams off the way they were earlier in the season-look at the Villa game the other week. You scraped a draw there. Great performance in the Champions League the other night, I won't deny, but in the league they look to be heading back to their old ways.
/quote]

As much as i hate to admit it but your right in everything you say there.
COYBIB

davehammer

Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:34 pm

I'm not a Man Utd fan. I'm a long suffering West Ham fan.

Yep freak results happen all the time, and that game at Old Trafford was definitely a freak, however one thing it did show is that this Arsenal team despite being hugely talented is still young. When things go against you in football its then you see the character of a team and Arsenal were found wanting that night. Some of the tackles flying in were horrendous and Eboue's flying attack on Evra was ridiculous. Fast Forward to the Birmingham match a couple of weeks ago. Eduardo (fingers crossed he makes a full recovery because I think he's gonna be top drawer) situation notwithstanding, the way Gallas reacted was absolutely ridiculous.

Under pressure I just think the Utd lads will make less slip ups and just edge it from Arsenal but I'd say next season it could be a different story.

In all honesty I don't mind who wins the league, as long as its not Chelsea! Same goes for the champs league!

Rj111

Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:11 am

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 36):
Well, we can still win the EPL and UCL!!!!

I'm really enjoying you saying these things Big grin

[email protected]

Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:19 pm

Quoting Farnborough24 (Reply 41):
Surely then I could just say the Arsenal result in the San Siro was a freak? Granted, you played well at the Emirates aswell, and would have won that tie but for the sitter Adebayor missed, but I still think United look the more complete package in the Premiership. Arsenal this season are slowly but surely going back to their old ways of going away to weaker Northern teams and getting poor draws where United are picking up points. Even at home they aren't killing teams off the way they were earlier in the season-look at the Villa game the other week. You scraped a draw there. Great performance in the Champions League the other night, I won't deny, but in the league they look to be heading back to their old ways.

Well i can't argue with that, we definitely have gone off the boil, the manner in which we were beating teams pre-christmas has gone, and that's worrying. But i'm certain Man Utd will slip up again, you have to go to Stamford Bridge and play a resurgent liverpool at home, not only that, when Ronaldo goes missing so does the whole team. The title is anyone's guess, but i can confidently say it will go to either Arsenal or Man Utd.
In Arsene we trust!!

CXfirst

Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:34 pm

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 37):
That's funny, Man Utd have lost more games than Arsenal this season yet people still convinced they're better.

Arsenal's form right now is not much to talk about now. Yes, they have only lost 1, but 3 draws in a row is still 6 points down. That's the same as a win and two losses.

Quoting RJ111 (Reply 44):
I'm really enjoying you saying these things

With Arsenal drawing again, and them being only two points ahead with one more game played, I think it is heading that way! Big grin

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 39):

That 4-0 loss was in the FA cup, it was a freak one-off result

We'll see about that Big grin

Now, what about those freak results in the FA Cup, Man U, Chelsea, and Middlesbrough out, that means that there is only one premier league team in the semis!!!!

-CXfirst

acho
Topic Author

Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:13 am

What a goal today by Fernando Torres against Inter. WOW 4 English teams in the quarter finals, looks like an English team will be taking the cup this year.

CXfirst

Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:12 am

Quoting Acho (Reply 47):
4 English teams in the quarter finals

Hopefully all the English teams draw a non-English team. That could mean that theoretically, it could end up as a only English semi-final and final!!!!

-CXfirst

Rj111

Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:26 pm

And the draw is in

Quarters...

Arsenal v Liverpool
AS Roma v Man Utd
Schalke 04 v FC Barcelona
Fenerbahce v Chelsea

Semis...

Arsenal/Liverpool v Fenerbahce/Chelsea