Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

nighthawk
Topic Author

Dialing The Wrong Number

Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:06 pm

How do people manage to do this?? Its beyond me, surely typing in a number into a phone isnt THAT hard? Yet why do people constantly manage to get it wrong?

Not only that, but when they do, why do they always insist that THEY are right and you are wrong, and you must be the number they wanted??

So a few hours ago I got a phone call from some old guy blethering away in some incomprehensible Aberdeen accent. After asking him to repeat what he was trying to say multiple times, i managed to understand "get" and "bus pass".

I pointed out that he had the wrong number. He then asked me if he was talking to Council services, I said no, this is [company name]. He then asked if we were on somestreet (i guess where the council office is) and I said no we weren't, we were not even based in town. Still not believing he had the wrong number he asked if this was number 65000. Again i told him he had the wrong number and this was 6500. FFS!

Learn to dial properly - and when I say you have the wrong number - I MEAN you have the wrong number! Grrr!

Note: this message has been spell checked to avoid the ironies of typos and subsequent messages pointing out said mistakes

gkirk

RE: Dialing The Wrong Number

Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:12 pm

Quoting Nighthawk (Thread starter):
How do people manage to do this?? Its beyond me, surely typing in a number into a phone isnt THAT hard? Yet why do people constantly manage to get it wrong?

Not only that, but when they do, why do they always insist that THEY are right and you are wrong, and you must be the number they wanted??

So a few hours ago I got a phone call from some old guy blethering away in some incomprehensible Aberdeen accent. After asking him to repeat what he was trying to say multiple times, i managed to understand "get" and "bus pass".

I pointed out that he had the wrong number. He then asked me if he was talking to Council services, I said no, this is [company name]. He then asked if we were on somestreet (i guess where the council office is) and I said no we weren't, we were not even based in town. Still not believing he had the wrong number he asked if this was number 65000. Again i told him he had the wrong number and this was 6500. FFS!

Learn to dial properly - and when I say you have the wrong number - I MEAN you have the wrong number! Grrr!

Note: this message has been spell checked to avoid the ironies of typos and subsequent messages pointing out said mistakes

Skidmarks must be getting more senile by the day  rotfl 
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

airfoilsguy

Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:14 pm

You missed something Mr. perfect.

Again i told him he had the wrong number

It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

MYT332

Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:14 pm

some incomprehensible Aberdeen accent

Maybe it was Kirkie trying to chase his tax credits? More likely than Skidmarks. He speaks proper.  Wink

[Edited 2008-02-21 08:15:20]
One Life, Live it.

airfoilsguy

Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:15 pm

Found some more  Smile

multiple times, i managed to understand

(i guess where the council office is)

oly720man

Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:16 pm

Our old phone number ended 1232 and there was a local firm of solicitors with 1237 as the number. The number of phone calls my wife had to deal with and people getting stroppy because we weren't the solicitors....

Its beyond me,

It's !!!!!!!!!
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

gkirk

Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:16 pm

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 2):

Perfect should have a capital P  duck 

airfoilsguy

Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:23 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 6):

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 2):

Perfect should have a capital P

It is customary to have a period at the end of a sentence.

gkirk

Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:34 pm

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 7):
It is customary to have a period at the end of a sentence.

banghead 

Wink

aloges

Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:34 pm

One of the phone numbers my parents were assigned when they got ISDN some years ago had formerly been the one of a movie rental place in town. Very nice... "Is that MovieVision?" Not quite, no.  sarcastic 
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

ORFflyer

Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:40 pm

Years ago, our phone number was different from a local radio station's by only the last digit. We routinely got calls when they were running a contest - you know how they do it, the 10th caller wins ___________. We got so tired of it, we finally started answering with the station's call letters, and every caller was a winner! We'd tell them to come on down a collect their prize. I wish I could have been at the station to witness some of the chaos we stirred up.....  biggrin 

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:44 pm

It's pretty common in China. Someone is always Winging the Wong number.  Wink
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

ScarletHarlot

Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:59 pm

I started working from home 3.5 years ago and my work phone number was previously owned by a heating / cooling company that went out of business. But I think That Company's phone number is on a sticker on everything they installed. And now that is my phone number. I still get calls for That Company pretty well every day. I got tired of having to tell people this, so I put a message on my voice mail that says "if you are looking for That Company, they are no longer at this number" and if a number is local I do not pick up. Sometimes people call right back - you can tell that they heard something about That Company but were not quite sure what it was.

The first winter I had the number, I could tell what day everybody turned on their furnaces in the Seattle area. My phone went nuts.  Smile

One time this number kept calling and calling so I finally picked up. The guy was kind of accusing toward me when I said that That Company had gone out of business. Then when I said I had just randomly gotten the number and had nothing to do with That Company, he just kind of sat there. It was really weird. I still get calls from debt collectors looking for the guys from That Company.

When a Costco was being built not too far from my house, I nearly died, because the construction dudes had obtained a surplus truck from That Company, and there it was sitting in the parking lot of the Costco with my phone number on it! Some of my friends wanted to spray paint on the side "for a good time call"!  Smile
But that was when I ruled the world

ManuCH

Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:43 pm

I once had a cell phone number from an operator which used a number similar to mine (only 1 digit was different) for a TV commercial telling you to send an SMS to that number with your name to win a price.

For about 2 months, every Sunday night I was receiving about 50 SMS of people who were sending their message to the wrong number. And there's nothing I could do - I couldn't even reply "Congratulations, you won!" because they would have my number... oh well  Smile
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

geedo

Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:35 pm

Funny how we still call it "dialing", when we've been pushing buttons since 1975!

I used to have a home number that was one digit different than the local movie theatre, lots of inquiries about current showings.
The "800" number my business has is also assigned to a major bank's credit card account services hotline in NYC. We're on the west coast and there is supposed to be some sort of division in the phone system, but many times a week I get people that are flabbergasted when they feel they've reached a real person instead of an automated system.
I've got Titanic hopes and they aren't sinking

yooyoo

Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:44 pm

I've got something to say about this topic. It appears that all of you are wrong. I seem to remember that.....

oppps.....i clicked the wrong thread, sorry.

Wink
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

n229nw

Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:44 pm

It's not always the dialers' fault. My first year living away from home, some life insurance company had accidentally printed our phone number on their claims cards. Most mornings we got ten calls before 8am from people trying to make life insurance claims.

That was "interesting"...

[edit]

And speaking of coincidence, as soon as I posted this message, the phone rang, and some woman kept repeating hello good evening to me in French even though it was obvious I hadn't answered the phone in French and wasn't responding in French. I eventually told her (in French) that I think she had the wrong number... Actually, haven't gotten a wrong number dial for a long time, so that was pretty perfect timing.

[Edited 2008-02-21 15:49:20]
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

HickoryShampoo

Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:46 pm

When we moved into our new house, we got a new number. Apparently, the former person assigned to our number ran an oil change shop and had creditors after him. These debt collectors have finally tapered off after about six months, but I've been going 'round and 'round with them. I actually started having a little fun with them, much to my wife's chagrin. There's one particular clown with a thick NY accent, whom I've stirred into a froth a couple of times.

Just last week I figured out where this shop is and it's not too far off my route home from work. I'm tempted to drop in one evening and tell Stanley to pay his fecking bills or I'll start giving his collectors his new number.  mischievous 
This place is cashed, so I'm out. Someone PM me when A.net comes back.

markyboy

Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:47 pm

A man joins a huge multi national company as a trainee.

On his first day at work, he dials the canteen and shouts down the phone "Get me a coffee quickly!"

The voice from the other side responded "You've dialed the wrong extension! Don't you know who you're talking to?, you idiot!"

"Nope," replies the trainee.

"This is the managing director of the company, you total fool!" comes the reply.

So the trainee shouts back, "And do YOU know who YOU are talking to, YOU PRICK?!"

"No." replies the MD indignantly.

"Good!" replied the trainee, and puts down the phone!

joffie

Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:48 am

Interesting thread.

We constantly get people dialing our house thinking we are a doctor's pathology. They put the 9 in front, however they don't realize the number actually starts with 8. So they do 98.... instead of 8...

flashflyguy

Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:57 am

We know when the local 'worldwide' fast food joint has a job advertised...the knuckleheads get the middle two of the last four digits mucked up....  

Years ago, I worked night shift and my mother needed to get up very early one morning. She rang and asked me to call her at 4.00am... Come 4.00am I dialed the number (GEEDO this was the mid 80's and the phone still had a rotary DIAL...   ), ring, ring, phone answers and I say "Wakey, wakey, rise and shine"....needless to say the poor woman on the other end of the phone was NOT amused...   After I got over the abuse she started screaming, that would even have made a wharfie blush -- I gave some back to her and hung up.          (It was before caller ID here in Australia too).

[Edited 2008-02-21 20:59:47]

WildcatYXU

Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:51 am

Quoting Joffie (Reply 19):
Interesting thread.

We constantly get people dialing our house thinking we are a doctor's pathology. They put the 9 in front, however they don't realize the number actually starts with 8. So they do 98.... instead of 8...

Then you should answer like this:" City morgue - you stab them we slab them"
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 7M8, 744, 752, 753, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

bwest

Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:38 am

You know.... maybe the guy called the right number but was so annoying that the company actually transferred him to a random number... I know I've done that a few times  angel 

ZakHH

Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:51 am

That will never cease to amaze me. My new mobile no. was obviously previously owned by a car dealer. So I get occasional calls from friendly fellas with a certain south-east European accent, who either complain that the car I sold them is crap, or that they would be interested in buying a new one.

When I tell them that this is not the number of the car dealer anymore, some of them would get surprisingly aggressive - towards me (funnily, it's usually not the guys who want to complain about their car, but those looking for a new one). They keep asking me "why we always change our phone nos." and the like.

One guy displayed outstanding brightness. Conversation went something like this:

Me: Hello?

Him: Hi. Me need new car. Mersedes. And don't cheat me. I want good one, I swear.

Me: Sorry, the number you have dialed does not belong to the car dealer anymore. I'm afraid I cannot help you here.

Him (after a short pause): What? You not sell me car?

Me: Sorry, I am not a car dealer. The number has changed.

Him: But I need car! Mersedes!

Me: That's fine, but I am not a car dealer.

Him (after a longer pause): Why?

Me: Look, I am just a private person. I got a new phone no., and it seems like it previously belonged to that car dealer, who apparently gave it up. I don't know that guy, and I am not affiliated with him. I am just a private person, and I don't sell cars.

Him (after another long pause): F*ck you! (hangs up)

2 minutes later, he calls again (same no. in the display). I am curious, so I answer:

Me: Yep?

Him: Give me new number of car dealer then.

Me: Look, as I told you, I don't even know that guy. So how on earth should I know his new number? Now do me a favor, put your head back into your a** and leave me alone.

Him: WHAT? F*** YOU, YOU #+~$%&!!! I AM GOING KILL YOU!

Me: Sure. You don't even know who I am, or where I live.

Him: SURE I DO! I BUYED TWO CARS FROM YOU! I KNOWS WHERE YOU LIVE!

Okay, he had me beat there, so I gave up. Hung up and banned his number, and keep checking the news for killed car dealers ever since.
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

CanadianNorth

Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:05 pm

I don't get them often but last week a buddy of mine got some guy asking for this lady, and when my friend told him "I'm not ***, you have the wrong number" the guy proceeded to argue with him for 5 solid minutes, and then when my friend finally just hung up the guy tried to call back twice...

CanadianNorth
HS-748, like a 747 but better!

SBBRTech

Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:26 pm

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 21):
Then you should answer like this:" City morgue - you stab them we slab them"

Haha.
A friend of mine had this wrong number problem where he was getting daily calls from people asking about the price of coffins and other funerary services. He started answering something like: "good morning, you called the Bonfire Burial - you die and we roast"....
"I'm beginning to get the hang of this flying business" - C3PO

OA260

Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:40 pm

There is a radio show in Dublin called 98FM. The guy randomly calls a mobile and pretends he knows them and went to school with them or met them in a bar or something!! Its really funny because some people fall for it .

You can download the Morning crew podcast and Toll Trolls here :::

http://www.98fm.ie/