Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

pwm2txlhopper
Topic Author

How Would U Feel If This Was Your Flights Captain?

Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:35 am

I was surfing around on YouTube last night when I came across this video. When I first started watching it, I thought this was a ramp agent or some other ground employee that was just screwing around in the cockpit during time on the ground. After all, the pilot looks only about 20 years old... However, after a minute or two it became clear that this was really shot by a flight crew onboard a DC-8! This is goofiest, most creepy, yet hilariously funny pilot I've ever seen! I can't imagine what I'd think as a FO if I came to work one day and this was the Captain I was flying with! LOL Anyway, check this out for a laugh! It's borderline disturbing, but looks like a sterile cockpit under 10,000 feet so perhaps these antics are o.k.?

Not quite as silly, but entertaining nevertheless!

[Edited 2008-02-21 17:38:45]

[Edited 2008-02-21 17:39:40]

UAL747

RE: How Would U Feel If This Was Your Flights Captain?

Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:48 am

Wow, kind of reminds me of "Napolean Dynamite" at the helm....Interesting to say the least. I assume this is a UPS jet?

UAL

Dang! Is this a "Jett?!" "Napolen, it would be really great if you could pull me from Gutatamala and stuff to Miami! DANG!"

[Edited 2008-02-21 17:57:21]
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

Jetsgo

Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:53 am

He almost sounds like Huell Howser...

Weird...
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

pwm2txlhopper
Topic Author

Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:56 am

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 1):
Wow, kind of reminds me of "Napolean Dynamite" at the helm....Interesting to say the least. I assume this is a UPS jet?

UAL

Nope, it's N906R. DC-8-63(F) of Arrow Cargo

EMBQA

Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:51 am

Quoting PWM2TXLHopper (Thread starter):
This is goofiest, most creepy, yet hilariously funny pilot I've ever seen

'Freight-Dawgs' are an odd bunch...... DC-8 guys are in a league to themself
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

kevi747

Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:37 am

Wow, how special: A goofy-ass airline pilot who won't stop talking about stuff nobody cares about and who gets WAY too excited over free food. I haven't seen that since.....every flight I've ever worked in my 8 year career as a F/A.

Wink
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." --Stephen Colbert

ManuCH

Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:47 am

What about that F/A doing a strip tease in the cockpit in-flight? I just can't seem to find it on Youtube right now...
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

airfoilsguy

Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:07 am

At first the guy seems like a goof ball but he handled the landing well so I wouldn't worry about him.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

SWISSER

Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:43 pm

Yeah Hypoxia...
Who can escape it...
What time is top of descent?

tb727

Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:30 pm

I can't believe you guys haven't seen this video before, pretty funny! Yeah Caneman is just having fun, he isn't like this all the time in the plane. He is also an entertainer/comedian and has a website, caneman.tv on which there are some more flying videos. He may be a little odd(who isn't), but from what I have heard he is an excellent pilot and a DC-8 Captain nonetheless. Who would want to be a stick in the mud when you have a cool job like that, lighten up and have fun.

There is actually quite a story behind him, he had a spinal cord injury as a teenager and was never supposed to walk again. He managed to fight back and learn to walk again and got a second chance at living his dream. I think he has since stopped flying because he got furloughed a couple years back, although I am not 100% sure he isn't back in the saddle. Pretty dang smooooooth up here.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

PSA53

Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:23 pm

Quoting Tb727 (Reply 9):
I can't believe you guys haven't seen this video before, pretty funny! Yeah Caneman is just having fun, he isn't like this all the time in the plane. He is also an entertainer/comedian and has a website

Since these videos were made more for entertainment ,lets have some fun with airline videos.My airline of choice-
Eddie's Airways.Warning:Your life insurance needs to be updated before flying.

Old,but still funny.
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

SQ325

RE: How Would U Feel If This Was Your Flights Capt

Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:32 pm

Wow
Gear down shortly before 1000ft
Checklist done at about 500ft
"Sink Rate" at about 60ft
A LH Captain would die from a heart attack seeing this approach!
Great Video thanks for sharing

tb727

Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:31 pm

Quoting SQ325 (Reply 11):

I hope LH guys aren't that uptight! Seems pretty normal visual approach to me? The "Sink Rate" warnings are occasionally erroneous as well but all in all a normal approach and landing. Doesn't get much better than flying a classic airliner.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

zotan

Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:10 am

Quoting SQ325 (Reply 11):
Wow
"Sink Rate" at about 60ft
A LH Captain would die from a heart attack seeing this approach!
Great Video thanks for sharing

Good riddance then. I wouldn't want a pilot that uptight in charge of my flight. That was an incredibly normal visual approach, and If you knew anything about DC-8's, you would have realized that the sink rate warning is common right before landing.

QFA380

RE: How Would U Feel If This Was Your Flights Capt

Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:32 am

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 6):
What about that F/A doing a strip tease in the cockpit in-flight? I just can't seem to find it on Youtube right now...

Umm I don't think its on youtube....

Here is an article with a few screenshots http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv..._article_id=511677&in_page_id=1811

Found the video via an a.net thread....
http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/3951...e_viral_voor_pilotenopleiding.html

Looks like an A340, crazy theres like 5 people in there!

czbbflier

Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:22 am

Quoting Tb727 (Reply 9):
I think he has since stopped flying because he got furloughed a couple years back, although I am not 100% sure he isn't back in the saddle.

His own website says that he only wants to do film and TV:

Quote:
I, Scott; AKA CANEMAN:

Have only ONE DESIRE, and that is to be in Movies and TV....Weather I am acting, hosting, interviewing, or doing comedy PLEASE KEEP ME IN MIND FOR YOUR NEXT PROJECT ON TELEVISION OR ON FILM. I also can help in your production,Or, If you need a person for a FUNDRAISER let me know. I have a lot of talent and energy to offer.

Guess his DC-8 days are over.  angel 

vermeer

Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:17 am

Ciao Manu,
I hope you are well. I am sorry I may be breaking your dreams  Wink
but it seems that the video you are referring to may be a fake.
Quoting from another website:

"This scene has been posted in French news.

But sorry, I don't buy it for several reasons:

Never a commandant and a co-pilot would exchange this type of discussion in the cockpit af an Airbus actually flying.
I have listened to their exchange, and it's more than obvious that they don't have the attention that pilots are supposed to have in a plane which really flies.

The co-pilot asks the commandant:

"Quelles sont tes impressions?"

that is: "What's your feelings?".

and then "Oh, le stage commandant, il est sec!"

that is "Wow, the commandant training, it is hard!"

It's more than obvious that this scene happens in the cockpit of a flight simulator (which inside really gives the feeling of a real cockpit, with a simulated landscape of excellent quality), and not in the cockpit of a plane which actually flies.
They are taking fun, because they know it's harmless, whatever they do they can't really "crash" the plane; if there is a crash, it will be a virtual one.

Now, do you really think that an air commandant would endanger his career by behaving that way in a video which has been broadcasted on internet, and not even taking the precaution of wearing a mask, which makes him easily recognizable?"
end quote

Talk to you soon!

ManuCH

Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:06 am

Quoting Vermeer (Reply 16):
It's more than obvious that this scene happens in the cockpit of a flight simulator (which inside really gives the feeling of a real cockpit, with a simulated landscape of excellent quality), and not in the cockpit of a plane which actually flies.
They are taking fun, because they know it's harmless, whatever they do they can't really "crash" the plane; if there is a crash, it will be a virtual one.

Makes sense. What seems a little bit strange is the brightness of that flight simulator's windows. It's too sun-like to be simulated, I didn't think they could be so bright.

What I've read on another news site is that this is coming from an airline which doesn't exist anymore (anyone cares to guess which one it is, according to the uniforms? Apparently AOM), therefore the people involved didn't care if the clip leaked on the Internet.
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

SQ325

Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:05 am

Quoting ZOTAN (Reply 13):
Good riddance then. I wouldn't want a pilot that uptight in charge of my flight. That was an incredibly normal visual approach, and If you knew anything about DC-8's, you would have realized that the sink rate warning is common right before landing.

There is no need to take everything seriously what I write!
It is right I have no clue about the DC8
I never flew an Airplane were false SINK RATE warnings occurs so apologize for my lack of knowledge!