Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Law Enforcement Officials: Help Needed Please

Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:19 am

On March 13, I am teaching my speech class how to drive on the highway in the vicinictiy of semi tractor trailers. I need the following info:

The percentage of car related accidents involving a recap tire fragment
The percentage of car related accidents involving a semi for tailgating
The rule of thumb for driving in the prox of a semi.

I appreciate your help for those who do. I am currently writing a 4 page essay on event that happened 3 years ago. If any truck drivers or EMT/ medical staff would like to chime in, go ahead if you have any good imput. If you do not steer clear.

Kinghunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

ANCFlyer

RE: Law Enforcement Officials: Help Needed Please

Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:27 am

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/portal/site....a0bd5d5a23d09ec24ec86e10dba046a0/

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/departm...0/ncsa/STSI/USA%20WEB%20REPORT.HTM

http://ntl.bts.gov/faq/autoaccstat.html

http://www.bts.gov/

http://www.ntsb.gov/Surface/highway/highway.htm

Start here young Skywalker . . .

One guy that could help you is Go3Team, a member here and a commercial trucker. Haven't seen him in a few days though.

[Edited 2008-02-23 16:51:49]
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

HickoryShampoo

Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:43 am

I can tell you the percentage of being in close proximity to an 18-wheeler blowout and my shorts nearly becoming soiled is 100%. I was on the freeway heading to IAH for some spotting one morning when a lime truck ahead of me blew one of the back tires. The resounding boom and cloud of lime (which created a nice smokescreen across the lanes) nearly caused my to shit me britches.  faint 
This place is cashed, so I'm out. Someone PM me when A.net comes back.

MD11Engineer

Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:43 am

No truck driver, but once witnessed a tyre on a fuel truck trailer explode on a autobahn near CGN. Actually I was driving in the slow lane about 50 meters behind the truck when it happened. The truck was a conventional cystern truck towing a similar two axle trailer, max weight of the combination about 40 metric tons, length about 18 meters.
The lefthand rear wheel of the trailer went off with a bang reminding me of my explosives training in the civil defense as equal to about several hundred grams of TNT.
Fragments hit a BMW, which was just passing the truck on the middle lane, on the righthand rear door and right rear fender, ripping off the rear bumper, hubcap and various plastic parts as well as denting the sheet metal in several places.
The trailer started to swerve, but the driver managed to bring the truck under control and to stop it on the emergency strip. I stopped some twenty meters behind the truck. The BMW also lost initially control, but recovered and also stopped on the emergency lane.

From what I've seen I would rate the explosion equal to a grenade.

The truck driver and myself secured the site of the accident until the police arrived and picked up the bigger parts of the debris to prevent follow up accidents.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

UAL747

Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:58 am

I for one absolutely HATE large trucks, 18-wheelers, etc. Even more scarrier are the 3-trailor trucks. The 3rd trailer on a 3-connected truck is extremely unstable, succeptable to winds, and wobble and toss all over the lane. They make me very paranoid when passing them or driving close to them.

Gas trucks are even worse. Once, when I was about 17, my friend's dad owned a small car dealership in Eastern Oklahoma. I spent most of my summers at Lake Tenkiller in eastern oklahoma where I met my friend. We did the odd job during the summer, usually detailing locals cars, but his dad wanted us to travel to Tulsa one weekend and pick up a new car for his dealership. So we headed out to Tulsa. We were driving in a dealership owned Mitsubishi Eclipse. We were coming over a hill during rain in a 55 MPH speed limit zone. There was a truck stop to the right of us and we had oncoming traffic on the other lane, which was a large truck filled and transporting gasoline. The truck apparently did not see us oncoming and made a left turn into the gas station. We were headed toward the truck at 55 MPH when I suddenly had to stomp on the breaks because the guy was turning head on right in front of me. We started skidding down the hill in the rain and we would have hit the gas truck if I didn't swerve to the left and went off in a ditch. We went off into the ditch on the left side of the road and I had to swerve back right to miss a telephone poll, which put us back on the oncoming traffic lane. I hit the car waiting behind the gas truck head on. We were probably doing about 15 MPH on impact, but that truck was the one who caused the accident.

Also, once, driving from OKC to the lake, there is an area of I-40 which crosses just to the north of Tinker AFB in Oklahoma City. This area has a few turns and twists in it, anyway, the highway is two lane on either side divided by a concrete barrier. A truck spun out of control, overturned and jackknifed right into the concrete barrier sending chunks of concrete into the oncoming lane. One of the chunks hit the car directly in front of me while the truck skidded on its side past us. I was almost hit by another flying chunk about the size of my head, but narrowly missed it to the right.

So in retrospect, I hate large trucks and I think they are scary to drive with....not that it helps any of your questions.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:54 am

Well, i am going on with a company in Jan of next year reguardless of parents say.

I appreciate all help and now I want to know how many lengths you follow. When I present this, I will credit this this info with your permission upon request.

Hunter

NIKV69

Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:06 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Thread starter):
The rule of thumb for driving in the prox of a semi

I do have vast knowledge in this area. Get on their left and go very fast and past them. If they are in the left lane for too long and don't get over flash the brights and if they stay there get right on their ass and drag. You get some nicer MPG

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 4):
Also, once, driving from OKC to the lake, there is an area of I-40 which crosses just to the north of Tinker AFB in Oklahoma City

Been on that pavement many times. This past Dec I did it with ice on it. Not fun.

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 4):
So in retrospect, I hate large trucks and I think they are scary to drive with....not that it helps any of your questions.

Your right, it is why I go past them. What I hate is the drivers that are afraid to pass them and drive right next to them. WTF?  crazy 
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

markyboy

Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:31 am

Here in the UK I drive what you folks refer to as a semi. As such I can possibly offer you a truck drivers perspective and maybe some advice for you to pass on to your class.

Probably one of the most dangerous places to be on the road is immediately in front of, to the side of or behind a semi (especially in another one!) and as such you should always take care around one.

Being that most motorcars can and do travel faster than us trucks and will usually overtake us on the highway, I'll offer my advice based on approaching a semi (or indeed any other large vehicle) from the rear.

I am sure you may have seen at some point the type of signage sometimes displayed on trailers or vehicle backs that say "If you cant see my mirrors then I cant see you" This is absolutely true so it is not a good idea not to sit too close behind a large vehicle. In addition to the truck driver not being able to see your vehicle, your own view of the road is restricted by the larger vehicle and you may find yourself in trouble should they have to brake suddenly.

Also understand that on a semi, unlike a rigid bodied vehicle, the mirrors may not always give the driver the best view of whats behind him. For example where there is a bend in the road, so dont take for granted that just because you can see a trucks mirrors the driver of that truck can actually see you. A standard length trailer here in the UK is 45ft and it doesn't take much of a bend in the road to turn my rear view of the road into a side shot of my trailer on my good side. My other side is not called my blind side for nothing so beware!

Therefore if it is your intention to overtake a large vehicle you should pull out in plenty of time to allow the driver to see you and pass the large vehicle as quickly as possible within the given speed limit and the conditions of the road.

After passing a larger vehicle you should allow a much longer distance before pulling back in as larger heavier vehicles require far greater braking distances. I once had a car cut right in front of me after overtaking and his bonnet (hood) blew up, I had to swerve onto the shoulder to avoid killing him after he stood on the brakes. I don't know who shit themselves more that day but on a different day neither of us may have lived to tell the tale so always take care as sometimes the worst can happen!

In my 7 short years of driving professionally I am yet to experience a tyre blow. My personal observation is that tyre blows are not all that common based on the amount of large goods vehicles on todays roads against the amount vehicles I've seen at the side of the road having blown a tyre. I have seen a tyre or two of heavy vehicles blow on the road and I certainly would not like to be in a car in the immediate vicinity of a heavy vehicle blowing a tyre hence my recommendation earlier to pass large vehicles as quickly as possible.

A lot of what I've written is basic common sense. This combined with a little courtesy goes a long way to avoiding a lot the unsavoury things we see on the roads. I hope this is of some help to you. If you have any other questions I'll try my best to answer in the morning as its 0230 here and bed time.

Good luck with your talk and safe journeys,

markyboy.

[Edited 2008-02-23 19:04:33]

UAL747

Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:42 am

My worry is with people who drive convertible vehicles and what a tire blow would do to a convertible vehicle passenger. As for me, I've owned 2 convertible BMW vechicles and I was always paranoid as to what a semi tire blow would do to me. It's kind of scary.....

I drive a Range Rover now, but I still have those cringing moments when I pass an 18-wheeler....

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:46 am

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 8):
My worry is with people who drive convertible vehicles and what a tire blow would do to a convertible vehicle passenger.

Well that is one of the reasons Michelin makes the single for the tractor. Like you, I hate the recaps. Drive me insane when i encounter one falling off a truck on the highway. don't these have a life?

Kinghunter

ImperialEagle

Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:03 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 9):
Like you, I hate the recaps. Drive me insane when i encounter one falling off a truck on the highway. don't these

A number of years have passed since I had a chunk of retread flung right at the windshield of my car down near McDonough on I-75. I am thankful that old M-B had a good thick windshield. Sounded like a shotgun blast when it hit. eyepopping 

I am constantly in awe of how many "big-rigs" I see tailgating. Sometimes they appear to use their trucks as a weapon and try to hit the vehicle in front of them on purpose.I saw this behavior all the time on the highways around Atlanta and I see it out on I-81 here in Virginia. Ridiculous! The level of irresponsibility is unforgivable. I vowed long ago that if one of them ever hit my car----and I survived the crash---I will sue them "till the cows come home"and if I ever witness one of them cause an accident I will be sure to offer my testimony to the courts.  mad 
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!"

CaptOveur

Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:02 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 6):
What I hate is the drivers that are afraid to pass them and drive right next to them.

those people really do have a death wish

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 9):
I hate the recaps. Drive me insane when i encounter one falling off a truck on the highway. don't these have a life?

Actually, according to Goodyear most of the tread de-laminations are on new tires (notice there is almost always tread on the alligator backs in the road). Goodyear makes a high speed recap that has excellent reliability.

Also, if the tire is exploding it is not completely the tire's fault. It is probably the driver's for not checking his tire pressure that day.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.