Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

A346Dude
Topic Author

Credit Card Fraud

Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:35 pm

I just got a call from Mastercard saying someone tried to use my card for online gambling in France. I have only used the card once in the past few months so I guess the charge was suspect. They said they have cancelled the card and will be mailing me a new one, along with an affidavit I need to sign.

Has anyone had something like this happen to them before? Is there a chance it will hurt my credit rating? Anything I should be aware of?
You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

lobster

RE: Credit Card Fraud

Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:43 am

Quoting A346Dude (Thread starter):
Is there a chance it will hurt my credit rating? Anything I should be aware of?

Well, I don't know how it works up North, but in the States you get a *free* copy of your credit report from the big 3 agencies once a year. You can also sign up for other services and monitor your credit report when you want. I'm sure Canada has something similar. If I were you, I'd check my CR as ASAP to make sure everything is OK.

TUNisia

Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:07 am

Quoting Lobster (Reply 1):
If I were you, I'd check my CR as ASAP to make sure everything is OK.

Excellent advice! Make sure everything is OK and no fraudulent accounts/inquiries.
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

roadrunner165

Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:03 am

Any idea how someone got hold of your credit card information?
That would be high on my priority list of things to figure out.
If you think other information may have been stolen from you as well, get replacement cards asap.

++ on ordering up a copy of your credit report.

Adam

bagpiper

Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:08 am

Filing as a "Fraud Victim" should give you some extra protection, too. I'm new to this whole world, so no idea how to do that - but thats what I have heard.

My dad was a fraud victim years ago when that whole thing was new. It was by chance some employee saw that we had "moved" to AZ, but nothing quite matched up - turns out the guy had inside contacts at Visa, got my dads address changed, and a new card mailed to the guy.

Four people went to jail, one for 7 years (may have been some other crimes involved), for that.

Sabena332

Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:47 pm

Has anyone had something like this happen to them before?

I got a call from the Lufthansa Miles & More Visa Card service some weeks ago when I was in Spain. They told me that someone tried to charge my card (as well as several other hundreds of LH M&M Visa cards) with a quite small amount (approx. 20 EUR). They immediately cancelled the transaction when I confirmed that I have no clue about the company name in question and sent me a new card. Top service!  thumbsup 

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

IFEMaster

Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:51 pm

I experienced full on identity theft about 5 years ago. Took ages to sort it out and clear it up, but I eventually got there. These days I use LifeLock and don't worry about it.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

rojo

Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:02 pm

I just got a call from Mastercard saying someone tried to use my card for online gambling in France. I have only used the card once in the past few months so I guess the charge was suspect. They said they have cancelled the card and will be mailing me a new one, along with an affidavit I need to sign.

MasterCard does not call cardholders. The call has to come from your bank, since MasterCard is just the system of your card that allows worldwide use and compensation between banks. Don't know the Canadian Credit Card industry but in the markets I know (US, Mexico, UK, Spain, Central / South America) you don't have to sign any affidavit when a Credit Card is cancelled by the bank (fraud related).

Your credit rating will not be hurt, since the cancellation was initiated by the bank due to fraud. Unless you have a transaction that you don't recognize and challenge it, you will only get a new credit card number in your credit report and the previous credit card number will be reported as cancelled. The new card will also reflect the payment history and issue date of the previous card in your credit report.

A346Dude
Topic Author

Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:43 pm

Quoting Lobster (Reply 1):
If I were you, I'd check my CR as ASAP to make sure everything is OK.

Thanks for the advice. I ponied up $22 and viewed my Transunion credit report online. Everything seems normal there. I plan to mail Equifax for my CR there (it's free if you mail in the request), just to be sure.

Quoting Rojo (Reply 7):
MasterCard does not call cardholders. The call has to come from your bank, since MasterCard is just the system of your card that allows worldwide use and compensation between banks. Don't know the Canadian Credit Card industry but in the markets I know (US, Mexico, UK, Spain, Central / South America) you don't have to sign any affidavit when a Credit Card is cancelled by the bank (fraud related).

Interesting. Is there any disadvantage to signing the affidavit?
You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

rojo

Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:07 pm

Quoting A346Dude (Reply 8):
Interesting. Is there any disadvantage to signing the affidavit?

As I told you before, I don't really know Canadian credit card laws, but if they are sending an affidavit I would imagine someone used your credit card and the bank paid the merchants the amounts stated in the vouchers, therefore, they might need your signature in the affidavit to make sure it wasn't you and to register the loss in their books... you could always call your bank and ask why they need the affidavit!!

j_hallgren

Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:28 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 6):
These days I use LifeLock and don't worry about it.

There was a news story in last week or so that I recall reading on web about one of the credit bureaus filing suit against LifeLock for improper use of fraud alerts and also that it was causing people to pay for things that are free to consumers...I've heard other stories that LL is not entirely on the level and is somewhat of a fraud itself.
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!