Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

seb146
Topic Author

Data Transfer Via USB

Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:18 pm

Is it possible to transfer data from a laptop to a desk top via a USB cable? The power button on my laptop went out, so I can not retrieve anything. I just downloaded pics from my phone to my laptop and erased them from the phone. Now, I want to send the pics out, but can't.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Newark777

RE: Data Transfer Via USB

Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:23 pm

If you can't turn the computer on in the first place, I wouldn't imagine you would get very far with any type of cable. I've only transferred data through Ethernet, not sure if can be done through USB.
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

JeffSFO

Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:38 pm

Quoting Seb146 (Thread starter):
Is it possible to transfer data from a laptop to a desk top via a USB cable? The power button on my laptop went out, so I can not retrieve anything. I just downloaded pics from my phone to my laptop and erased them from the phone. Now, I want to send the pics out, but can't.

If your laptop gave up the ghost and you have an ejectable hard drive, you can always buy an external enclosure for it like this and plug it into your desktop system:

http://www.xpcgear.com/ufe940hdcase.html

But without more details on the condition of your laptop I don't know what else to tell you.

seb146
Topic Author

Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:49 pm

Quoting JeffSFO (Reply 2):
If your laptop gave up the ghost and you have an ejectable hard drive, you can always buy an external enclosure for it like this and plug it into your desktop system:

I am really sketchy about opening up anything electronic. I barely know enough to take out the screws! The original problem is I plugged in to a wall and downloaded pics from my phone via USB cable, deleted the pics out of my phone, then closed the laptop without turning it off or anything. Since then, it has not been able to power on either by pushing the on/off button, clicking the mouse pad, touching the keys or popping the button under the screen that tells the CPU the machine is closed. The "sleep mode" light is on.

It seems pretty simple to me that I should just be able to take a cable with USB on both ends, plug it into both laptop and desktop and transfer data if both machines are on.

IFEMaster

Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:01 am

Remove the laptop battery, reattach it, plug in the power cord, then power on. If the sleep mode light is on, it should be operable; you've probably just got it in a bit of a tizzy over not being shut down correctly.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

jamesbuk

Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:22 am

why not leave it on sleep mode for a day or so till battery runs dead - then plug the charger in and it should start up normally.. Would that work?

Rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

seb146
Topic Author

Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:12 am

Quoting Jamesbuk (Reply 5):
why not leave it on sleep mode for a day or so till battery runs dead - then plug the charger in and it should start up normally..

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 4):
Remove the laptop battery, reattach it, plug in the power cord, then power on. If the sleep mode light is on, it should be operable; you've probably just got it in a bit of a tizzy over not being shut down correctly.

It is plugged into the wall when I try to power it on. I have closed it before without shutting down properly with no problems. I think the on/off button is burnt out. I hope that is all.

Newark777

Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:14 am

Another shortcut is to hold the power button for approx. 5 seconds until the laptop completely powers down.

Quoting Jamesbuk (Reply 5):
why not leave it on sleep mode for a day or so till battery runs dead - then plug the charger in and it should start up normally.. Would that work?

IFE's does the same thing, and is quite a bit faster.  Wink

seb146
Topic Author

Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:46 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 7):
Another shortcut is to hold the power button for approx. 5 seconds until the laptop completely powers down.

Yes, I have had to do that with desktops several times. I don't think it would work since the laptop is already in sleep mode and refuses to "wake up."

Newark777

Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:48 am

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 8):

Yes, I have had to do that with desktops several times. I don't think it would work since the laptop is already in sleep mode and refuses to "wake up."

It should work, and if it doesn't, unplugging the laptop from external power and take the battery out, it will do the same thing.

seb146
Topic Author

Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:54 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 9):
unplugging the laptop from external power and take the battery out, it will do the same thing.

Remove the laptop battery, reattach it, plug in the power cord, then power on.

I don't know why I didn't do it sooner, but I took out the battery, plugged into the wall and powered on. Everything is normal. Does this mean I need a new battery?

Also, my original question still stands: Could I get a USB cable and share data between my laptop and desktop? Both are running WinXP.

Newark777

Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:58 am

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 10):
Everything is normal. Does this mean I need a new battery?

I doubt it, your computer probably just got itself worked up in a fit (happens sometimes) and had to be reset. If all else fails, reboot.

As for the USB question, I've never tried, but supposedly you have to buy a special USB cord:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080105220220AANIxsv

bagpiper

Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:06 am

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 10):
Also, my original question still stands: Could I get a USB cable and share data between my laptop and desktop? Both are running WinXP.

No, because the computer is net set to receive power from the USB cable to power the hard drive. The hard drive would have to be spinning to even access the information off of it, and that takes more than 5 volts from the USB. 5 volts is good to power flash memory, and some small external drives, and possibly the laptop hard drive.... but since the computer cannot take that voltage and apply it to the hard drive to spin it up, then read the data right off of it via USB, no, it is not possible.

Now, Belkin does offer software to allow you to access the computer as an external drive if the laptop/computer is already powered on.

Hope that helps  Smile

RNOcommctr

Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:49 am

I'm not that computer literate, but couldn't you download the data onto a portable flash drive stick, and then plug the stick into the other computer and transfer the data that way?
Active loading only, ma'am, keep it moving!

AverageUser

Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:29 am

If your laptop is dead with the good hard drive inside and you are clueless in technical matters, you need to take the laptop to a knowledgeable computer shop where some people in the know will take your hard drive out and fit it into a desktop computer as a secondary drive and will be happy to make a copy of the data you want on the media you want.

oly720man

Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:42 am

You CAN'T just plug in a USB cable to connect the 2 computers, you need a USB data link cable which a number of different companies sell (along with the software).

e.g.

http://www.usb-ware.com/usb-2-usb-da...link-file-transfer-cable-uc250.htm

But, as already stated, if you've got a USB port then you can use a USB stick.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

AverageUser

Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:51 am

Quoting Oly720man (Reply 15):
You CAN'T just plug in a USB cable to connect the 2 computers, you need a USB data link cable which a number of different companies sell

And both parties need to be able to run a piece of software, which apparently is out of the question here.

Gemuser

Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:56 am

Quoting AverageUser (Reply 16):
Quoting Oly720man (Reply 15):You CAN'T just plug in a USB cable to connect the 2 computers, you need a USB data link cable which a number of different companies sell

You don't need anything fancy, just a USB cable with a Type A connector (the broad flat one) on each end.

Quoting AverageUser (Reply 16):
And both parties need to be able to run a piece of software, which apparently is out of the question here.

Really, really important! Or at least software which will talk to each other.

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

AverageUser

Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:11 am

Quoting Gemuser (Reply 17):
You don't need anything fancy, just a USB cable with a Type A connector (the broad flat one) on each end.

No, no! That will not work and will ruin your system. Such simple cables do not exist, just for the reason. The connecting cables that will work have some bridging electronics in the "lump" in the middle.

[Edited 2008-02-26 03:13:12]

KaiGywer

Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:49 am

That's exactly what I did when my laptop died. Works like a charm, and now I have a portable 30gb drive  Smile

http://www.xpcgear.com/ufe940hdcase.html

Why pay $24 when you can get one much cheaper?

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16817155002

I bought this one, and works great. Just make sure that you have USB2.0
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an