Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

WestJetForLife
Topic Author

Radio Stations In Your City/area

Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:15 pm

Hi everyone, Nik here with yet another fun-fun-fun topic.

To anyone who STILL listens to "free" AKA terrestrial-based radio, what radio stations cover your city/town/hamlet/farm?

Here in Calgary, our music selection sucks. We have four or five rock stations (Fuel, CJAY, X 92.9 and Q107), two pop/hip-hop/rap-crap stations (Vibe 98.5 and Energy 101.5), country (Country 105) and a bunch of indie/underground radio stations here that serve no real purpose other than to just fill space.

How about you guys? What kinds of radio stations exist in your parts of the world? Anything...interesting?

Cheers,
Nik
I need a drink.

NIKV69

RE: Radio Stations In Your City/area

Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:24 pm

Well one thing I really love about my winter residence in southern Nevada is the talk radio station 1490AM KZZZ, I mean Mike Gallagher, Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly and Clark Howard all in a row! Doesn't get much better. I can even listen to Dr. Laura if I need some comic relief.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

PlymSpotter

Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:38 pm

My local ones in Birmingham seem to play a non stop torrent of rap and hip hop, whilst the others just pump out cheese - which isn't exactly my kind of music. Mostly I listen to Kerrang! Radio, who play mostly decent music; metal, rock, etc... although when at home I will listen to BBC Radio Devon or the local Pirate FM station which plays better music, but has annoying adds in it.

Dan  Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

PSA53

Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:02 pm

At home,I turn Dish Network and listen to Sirius radio.On the road or at work,I put on KLOS 95.5 FM or KROQ when in LA County because the local KCAL ROCKS! 96.7 doesn't reach outside the Inland Empire counties.

No.You rock!
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

Newark777

Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:15 pm

At home I listen to 101.5 for traffic, and WFAN for sports talk. Out in PA, it's basically 99.9 The Hawk for classic rock.
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

LHRjc

Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:31 pm

The FM dial in London is packed. Mostly with crap but there are a few good stations, most of them illegal pirate stations.

The main local music stations are Capital Radio, which just plays commercial pop, and comercials. Then there's Kiss 100 which is Dance and R&B, and also Virgin Radio which is rock music. Then there's Smooth, Magic and Heart which tend to lean towards more easy listening. There's also about 50 pirate stations all playing various dance genres. The trouble is they are all at war with each other and keep stealing each other's transmitters and taking each other off air. They're usually back up and running in a couple of days so it's not so bad.
"Our 319's are very reliable. They get fixed very quickly."

Duff44

Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:48 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 1):
Well one thing I really love about my winter residence in southern Nevada is the talk radio station 1490AM KZZZ, I mean Mike Gallagher, Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly and Clark Howard all in a row!

WOW... does your car even turn left?  Big grin  rotfl 

For the Hartford, CT market it's The Rock 106.9 WCCC when I listen to regular radio (I have Sirius). Only major station that's not the same CBS Radio/ClearChannel crap you hear in every other city. I will also listen to WTIC AM 1080 on occasion for Red Sox and UConn basketball games.
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

andrej

Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:49 pm

When in NJ I like to listen to WKTU (103.5) - during late night I like to listen to trance/techno mixes , Z100 (100.3) - morning show (Elvis and Morning Zoo) as well as throughout the day, 98.3, 102.7, 106.7 - when other radio stations play the same tunes. One needs to alternate quite a lot not to hear same songs all day long!

While in Exeter I set my radio on Gemini FM. Not the best station as they play same 10 songs, but it is manageable. I listen to it only when I walk to the Uni and back.

In Slovakia I listen to Slovak Radio, Radio Jemne and Radio Express. While I lived in Prague my family used to listen to the Radiozurnal.

At when infront of my PC I listen to iTunes radio when not watching Bloomberg TV (US edition)...

Cheers,
Andrej

EDIT: I also listen to 106.5 in Baltimore area (my undergraduate school was located right across the Baltimore and Chesapeake Bay was dividing us) And I also like 101.1 in Philly area.

[Edited 2008-03-02 13:53:52]

MCOflyer

Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:53 pm

W107.1 A1A all kinds
99.3 light rock
MX105.1 classical
Z88.3 christian
96.5WHTQ Classic rock
101.1 WJRR Hard Rcok

Kinghunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

lobster

Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:57 pm

Around here in Northeast MN, I listen to 95KQDS, a classic rock, modern rock station. By far one of the best stations in Mn and also a kick ass morning show!! When I'm down in the Cities, I listen to 92KQRS which is similar to 95KQ and sometimes 93X. Problem with 93X is that they used to be a pretty good station, but now they play some wussie shit. But, I have my Sirius to keep me company too.

YYZflyer

Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:01 pm

We have 97.7 (from the Niagara area), they play rock. It's my favourite radio station, but seriously, they over play like every song.

Q107- Classic rock
102.1 The Edge. Again, new rock, but 97.7 is better  Wink
Chum FM (I don't know the number)
plus lots of other ones I can't remember...

I wish there was a heavy metal station playing stuff like Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Behemoth, Pantera, Children of Bodom, Dimmu Borgir, or any other band from Finland, etc.  cloudnine   bigthumbsup 
Avoid hangovers, stay drunk.

AF340

Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:30 pm

Quoting YYZflyer (Reply 10):

More T.O. stations:

Mix 99.9
NewsTalk 1010 CFRB -- My favourite
AM 640 News

I can't think of anymore really...

Liam spin 

Sabena332

Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:42 pm

I am listening to a lot of stations every day. In the car I am always switching between 1Live, BFBS, WDR 2, Ruhrwelle Bochum, or Radio Dortmund. I like it to listen to music when I am driving so I always switch to the station with the best music. At work we mostly listen to 1Live, at home I have WDR 2 set as my default station at the bathroom radio. One thing is for sure: I am listening every Saturday at 15:30h to WDR 2's "Bundesligakonferenz" via my cell phone when I am in the stadium, always good to know the results from the other stadiums in real-time. Big grin

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

BAViscount

Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:22 pm

Quoting LHRjc (Reply 5):
The main local music stations are Capital Radio, which just plays commercial pop, and comercials. Then there's Kiss 100 which is Dance and R&B, and also Virgin Radio which is rock music. Then there's Smooth, Magic and Heart which tend to lean towards more easy listening.

Capital used to be soooo much better years ago when they had stuff like 'Soul Spectrum' and 'Roots Rockers' (when they were known as Capital 194!), but these days the breakfast show's pretty good, with old Johnny Vaughn and Denise Van Outen back in partnership.

But how on earth could you forget Choice FM?!?! Gotta love Choice...but then being a soul/R'n'B boy, I would! However, I have to say that I do channel hop, depending on my mood at the time. Thankfully we have quite a wide choice in the London area, ranging from classical music to oldies to chart to whatever else takes your fancy...even Asian (as in Indian) music if that's your flavour!

However, where I live in south west London we also have 'Radio Jackie' - bit of a sh*t name, but they play a good mix of oldies and recent stuff. And then there's 'South London Radio', which is actually my favourite...I'm sure they raided my record collection when I wasn't looking!! However, I'm just on the edge of their broadcast limit, so when I need my fix I have to listen to them on the net, or get in the car and drive to Croydon.
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barbados

swiftski

Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:53 pm

A friend of mine is a British radio DJ called Moyles. UK members may know of him.

I listen to his show.

www.bbc.co.uk/radio1

BAViscount

Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:08 am

Quoting Swiftski (Reply 14):
A friend of mine is a British radio DJ called Moyles. UK members may know of him.

You're friends with 'The Moylester'?!?! Naaah...you're pulling our legs!!  Wink
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barbados

swiftski

Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:10 am

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 15):
The Moylester

Never heard him called that?! lol

halls120

Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:12 am

Quoting WestJetForLife (Thread starter):
Hi everyone, Nik here with yet another fun-fun-fun topic.

To anyone who STILL listens to "free" AKA terrestrial-based radio, what radio stations cover your city/town/hamlet/farm?

There are only two "terrestrial" stations I listen two here in NoVa - WETA public radio, and WTOP, the all news and traffic station. The rest of DC area radio is a vast wasteland of puerile crap.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

stlgph

Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:30 am

i've practically given up on radio stations anywhere with the exception of WGN in Chicago for talk, XRT in Chicago for music. it's the same crap over and over again ... even on the soft listening stations ... all they do is play Ingrid Michaelson every hour on the hour. web radio it is these days!
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

a380us

Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:33 am

The better ones are Z100
and Fresh
www.JandACosmetics.com

KPWM

Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:12 am

Here I prefer Q97.9 which is current music. Also 93.1 which is alternative. There is also a bunch of rock stations.

NWADC9

Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:33 am

The stations I listen to include:
89.3 - Classical with NPR news
90.5 - Used to be Jazz, but good ol'e NPR screwed that up and turned it into a little bit of Jazz with NPR nonsense
104.7 - Conservative Talk/Sports

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 1):
Well one thing I really love about my winter residence in southern Nevada is the talk radio station 1490AM KZZZ, I mean Mike Gallagher, Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly and Clark Howard all in a row! Doesn't get much better.

Try this on for size:
Quinn and Rose
Glenn Beck
Rush Limbaugh
Sean Hannity

All in a row, then after all the sports jibber jabber, Michael Savage
I get paid to convert dead dino juice into noise.

NeilYYZ

Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:43 am

Quoting YYZflyer (Reply 10):
Q107- Classic rock

Good call!

I listen to Satellite radio mostly, but when I'm forced into terrestial radio it's either Q107 or the Fan 590 for my sports fix.

I also stream the Fan 590 fairly often for the Swirsky Show and the Franchise Bob McCowan to keep up on Toronto sports.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

bhmbaglock

Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:01 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 17):
There are only two "terrestrial" stations I listen two here in NoVa - WETA public radio, and WTOP, the all news and traffic station. The rest of DC area radio is a vast wasteland of puerile crap.

Sounds like Birmingham. I mostly listen to WBHM(NPR) and occasionally WERC(talk) or WJOX(sports talk). When I go to Atlanta I really enjoy WZGC aka Dave FM. They play a lot of really good music and the DJs are actually entertaining as well.

Quoting STLGph (Reply 18):
i've practically given up on radio stations anywhere with the exception of WGN in Chicago for talk, XRT in Chicago for music. it's the same crap over and over again ... even on the soft listening stations ... all they do is play Ingrid Michaelson every hour on the hour. web radio it is these days!

Where in the world have you been Gavin? Good to see you back with us.
Where are all of my respected members going?

kstateinALB

Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:15 am

Alright...well, here in ALB and the surrounding area....

FLY92.3 is my number one, as it plays all of the new hits that I like to hear.

However, 100.3 the Point, a station based north of here, is a very close second. Plays the hits along with popular songs from the 90's and this decade....great station...

and then there's KISS 102.3 FM, same as FLY but plays more Hip-Hop/Rap.

bhmbaglock

Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:24 am

Quoting KstateinALB (Reply 24):
and then there's KISS 102.3 FM, same as FLY but plays more Hip-Hop/Rap.

That's a change, used to be a pretty solid rock station when I lived up there. Of course it's been 20 years.
Where are all of my respected members going?

N776AU

Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:40 am

Atlanta's music selection sucks. We have a million Country and Rap stations. Our one Classic Rock Station has such absurd repetition, 97.1 The River. I spend most of my time on AM.

I listen to 750 WSB for news, traffic, and Neal Boortz.
Other than that, I listen to Sports Radio 680 The Fan.
Careful, doors are closing, and will not reopen. Please wait for the next train.

Tom in NO

Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:49 am

Here in New Orleans, I'll listen to Bayou 95.7-FM, which plays classic rock, and also carries the morning Walton and Johnson show.....occasionally also WNOE 101.1-FM, which plays country/western. AM wise it's 870-AM WWL, which is news/sportstalk and is the primary Saints station.....also 1280-AM for Jim Rome's radio show.

Tom at MSY (on the CrackBerry)
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

NIKV69

Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:56 am

Quoting Duff44 (Reply 6):
WOW... does your car even turn left

Nope, just like in NJ where you have all those jug handles, making left turns is dangerous.  crazy 

Quoting NWADC9 (Reply 21):
Try this on for size:
Quinn and Rose
Glenn Beck
Rush Limbaugh
Sean Hannity

Niceee, when I drive home in the midwest I pick up the stations that have Hannity, his show is by far the best. Let Freedom ring! He is a great American.

Quoting NWADC9 (Reply 21):
Michael Savage

We have him here but he is downrignt wierd!
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

RayChuang

Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:58 am

Here in Sacramento, CA, the two prominent AM radio stations are KHTK (1140 kHz AM), a mostly sports-talk station that is the home station for Sacramento Kings broadcasts and KFBK (1530 kHz AM), a news and talk radio station. Both are rated at 50,000 watts output from their transmiitters and can be heard far away from Sacramento, CA under the right conditions.

melpax

Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:51 am

I only listen to the radio when in the car these days. Here in Melbourne, I mainly listen to Nova 100.3 FM (mainly pop/dance), Triple J (Part of the ABC, mainly indie/alternative rock, etc), occasionaly triple R or PBS (community FM stations that play alternate/indie rock) & if I want a news fix either 3AW or ABC newsradio (both AM). Other stations here in MEL include Triple M (rock station catering to the blue-collar tradie crowd), Mix FM (sickening pop, seemingly aimed at 30-something housewifes) & Fox FM (refer to Mix FM........)

QantasA333

Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:46 am

Here in ADL, we have some good and some bad stations, including:

Mix 102.3 - Highest ranking FM station. Lots of variety and good music.
Triple M 104.7 - Don't listen to much, but similar to MIX.
Nova 91.9 - Pop station. Some good music.
107.1 SAFM - Pop music. Not very good from my point of view.
105.5 Triple J - Don't listen to.
107.9 Life FM - Christian/Catholic station, playing nice songs. Has got prayer service in mornings (when i listened to it)

Adelaide AM stations are:

1395 5AA
ABC

vhqpa

Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:32 am

In Brisbane we have (FM)

- 107.70 - Triple J - Alternative - ABC Ran station. I don't listen to this station

- 106.9 - Nova 106.9 - Popular/Rock - Most recent and Popular station Has got a few very good radio shows ie. Meshel, Ash, Kip and Luttsy in the mornings and Dan and Ken in the afternoons. Is hellbent on never playing more then two adds in a row although they seen to be having add breaks all the time. They also IMO play a few too many rock songs. I listen to this station often.

- 105.3 - B105 - Popular - Used to be Most popular for ages although is now the forth most popular. I don't really listen to this station much.

- 104.50 - Triple M - Rock - Second most popular station. I don't listen to this station.

- 98.9 - Murri Country FM - Country - Indigenous ran station. Has a large mature and Indigenous listeners base. I will listen to this station periodically.

- 97.3 - 973 FM - Easy Listening - Plays songs from 1970's - Now. Aimed at the over 30 audience. I don't listen to this station

- 96.5 - ? - Christian/Family - I don't listen to this station

I also pick up

- 94.9 - River 949 - Variety - Based in Ipswich. Plays music from 1980's-Now. I will periodically listen to this station.

- 91.9 - 919 Sea FM - Popular - Based on Sunshine Coast. Plays popular music has a segment on the breakfast show which I'm addicted too. I listen to this station often.

(AM Stations)

- 882 - ABH 882 - Easy Listening - I don't listen to this station

- 612 - ABC Brisbane - News - I don't listen to this station

- 465? - 4KQ - Easy Listening - I don't listen to this station

Vhq
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

LHRjc

Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:21 pm

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 13):
get in the car and drive to Croydon.

Good grief, you must be desperate  biggrin 
"Our 319's are very reliable. They get fixed very quickly."

egmcman

Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:09 pm

I tend to listen to radio two I enjoy listening to Dermot O'leary on Saturday afternoons. On Sundays I sometimes listen to to the top forty on radio one depending on whats on tv and how busy I am.

srbmod

Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:40 pm

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 23):
When I go to Atlanta I really enjoy WZGC aka Dave FM. They play a lot of really good music and the DJs are actually entertaining as well.

It's pretty much one of the few stations in Atlanta that hasn't flipped formats in the last 24 months. So many stations in Atlanta have flipped formats in the last few years that if you had left Atlanta for a few years and returned, you wouldn't recognize most of the stations anymore. Which makes me glad to have Sirius.

Quoting N776AU (Reply 26):
Atlanta's music selection sucks. We have a million Country and Rap stations. Our one Classic Rock Station has such absurd repetition, 97.1 The River. I spend most of my time on AM.

Don't forget all of the Mexican stations we have as well. From the way it looks, we may be down a country station in the near future, as they fired a number of folks at Kicks 101.5 and Eagle 106.7 on Friday (Including longtime 106.7 Morning guy Rhubarb Jones [He had been with the station since 1985]) and it looks like Eagle is a goner after this week, and what's left of the Eagle staff will be over @ Kicks. Makes you wonder what Citadel has planned for the frequency, hopefully not another Q100, V-103 or Viva clone.

Quoting Swiftski (Reply 14):

I listen to his show.

www.bbc.co.uk/radio1

Those of us in the US and Canada that are Sirius Satellite Radio subscribers get BBC Radio 1, albeit a tape delayed version. So what they play on Sirius at say 1:00 pm Eastern Time is what was originally broadcast on BBC Radio 1 in the UK at 1:00 pm London time.

IH8BY

Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:40 pm

Locally we have:

BBC Radio Oxford: an interesting thing, this. As far as I can work out, this radio station is only of any use if you are either in need of traffic news or over the age of sixty-five. For the former, well, there's the 'traffic alert' setting on the car stereo, and for the latter... well, suffice it to say I'm no Skidmarks. For the late show it resorts to the syndicated content for the southern BBC networks, that is to say a show with the reassuringly...erm...reassuring Paul Miller, whose soporific tones will have your head hitting the pillow quicker than Horlicks will ever manage, and whose nightly conversations with Gladys from Abingdon or Cheryl from Basingstoke, usually about what it was like growing up in the war or how their great-grandchildren have this new-fangled "computer", almost always end in the deliciously patronising "bysie-bye, now love". Thrilling.

You have to have a tacky mainstream commercial radio station, so enter Fox FM. Once a trailblazer of local commercial radio, it's since been absorbed into the One Network (hundreds of Capital Clones... joy!), which means synchronised playlists during the day, a focus on celebrity gossip, and trashy syndicated content in the evening... Disgraced TV star and DJ Steve Penk, famous for his inane wind-up calls, has fronted the morning show for the last year, completes the sad picture of what was once a great radio station. Stations like this and all its neighbours, which I can receive as well (but don't need to as they're all the same), make me feel like there should be a review and thorough cleanout of commercial radio across the UK, to restore local content to local airwaves.

FM107.9. So uninspiring they can't settle on a name. Formerly claimed to boast "Oxford's sexiest dance and r'n'b". So that was a no-no for me.

106 JACK FM. So far the only JACK franchise in the UK, it's a bit of an enigma to me. I like its music mix, but it's impersonal, with the exception of the morning show (one of the few presented shows), which plays far too little music to make it worth waking up to, and the spoken content bounces between crass-yet-uninteresting and really good (interviews and local issues). This is the station I listen to most, but usually only after the breakfast show has ended.
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?

767Lover

Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:57 pm

Quoting WestJetForLife (Thread starter):
Here in Calgary, our music selection sucks.

Atlanta's radio is horrible as well.

When I'm not on Sirius, I generally listen to talk radio and NPR.

To be honest, I'm not wild about the music on Sirius because the stations seem to repeat music just as much.

CXfirst

Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:12 pm

The two best ones in Perth, Australia IMO are:

and

Nova 93.7

(MIX 94.5 can be good at time, but the mix of music is so big that you can get really old bad songs as often as better ones).

-CXfirst

HickoryShampoo

Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:24 pm

My presets in the truck...

- 97.5FM "The Ticket" - for ESPN Radio; especially "Mike & Mike In the Morning", unless they're devoting 100% to 'roids
94.5FM "The Buzz" - alt rock
- 106.9FM "The Point" - 70s & 80s (sporadic 90s) pop
- 93.7FM "The Arrow" - 60s/70s/80s classic rock
- 103.7FM "Jack" - odd format; as they put it "what we want, when we want it"; mostly rock from classic to new
- 107.5FM - Used to play "oldies" from the 50s & 60s, but recently changed to "oldies" from the 60s & 70s
- 95.7FM "The Wave" - smooth jazz; if the others do a simultaneous suckfest or commercial break
- 99.1FM "Sunny" - a last resort for when the others aren't doing anything worthwhile
- 88.7FM "Houston Public Radio" - classical and NPR (NPR for every weekday evening commute)
- 100.3FM - only for Texans games (country station)

- 610AM - for Rockets games only
- 740AM - for Astros games only

No rap. No R&B. No country. No Spanish. No artsy college. No religion.
This place is cashed, so I'm out. Someone PM me when A.net comes back.

ShyFlyer

Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:18 pm

If I'm just doing some short duration driving around town, I won't even bother with satellite radio as it is a portable unit and not permanetly installed in my vehicle. So for those times, I'll use terrestrial-based radio.

My list of stations (all in ABQ):

M88 - Christian Rock & Pop, 88.3 FM (also heard throughout the state on various translators/repeaters)
KOB-FM - R&B, Pop, Rock, 93.3 FM.
Magic FM - Adult Contemporary, 99.5 FM
The Peak - "Hot Adult Contemporary" (I'd call it rock, but what do I know), 100.3 FM
Ed FM - Adult Contemporary, 80s stuff, 103.3 FM
NM Smooth Jazz - Smooth Jazz (oddly enough), 104.7 FM
I lift things up and put them down.

N1120A

Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:48 pm

FM Presets:

1 - 106.7 KROQ-FM - The World Famous KROQ with their modern rock format and Kevin and Bean in the morning. Biggest drawback is the crappy signal strength because of their transmitter location

2 - 89.9 KCRW-FM - The community station out of Santa Monica college that mixes NPR and PRI with freeform music. Morning Becomes Eclectic and Marketplace are two of my favorites.

3 - 97.1 KLSX-FM - Infinity Talk station with people like Tom Leykis and the former home of Howard Stern. Prefer news these days.

4 - 95.5 KLOS-FM - Unfortunately bland Classic Rock station that I don't listen to much anymore

5 - 89.1 KCRU-FM - KCRW's repeater station for Ventura County that I listen to when I am visiting my parents

6 - 90.7 KPFK-FM - Local Pacifica station that provides me my Pinko Commie laughs for the day. The only shows worth listening to anymore are Democracy Now! with Amy Goodman and Sonali Kohatkar's Uprising, which spend a lot more time on real issues as opposed to 9/11 conspiracy theories. They have some good world music shows too.

AM Presets

1 - 980 KFWB-AM - Set to number 1 for nostalgic reasons, namely growing up listening with my dad. Their signal isn't particularly good, but they are an extended all-news format which is nice and the old Westinghouse ticker effect is cool. They did Dodger games for a few years up till last season, but have lost them going forward because of the crappy signal.

2 - 1070 KNX-AM - Class A clear channel CBS affiliate that can be heard as far east as Texas at night. Mostly all news format and traffic reports every 10 minutes on the 5 minutes. Excellent signal and CBS news at the top of every hour. Listen often on the way to work and will switch back and forth with KFWB if I really need a traffic update, because KFWB's traffic reports are on the 1s

3 - 710 KSPN-AM - ESPN Radio affiliate that I mostly used to listen to Angels games and the occasional sports talk noise. Now that the Dodgers are moving back to 710, it will remain there. I will not pre-program 830 AM, which is owned by the Angels and will be their new home, as they mostly do right wing talk.

4 - 570 KLAC-AM - Long time home of Lakers basketball.

5 - 530 LAX Radio - Totally useless beyond 5 miles or so from LAX, but I am an A.netter after all

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 3):
the local KCAL ROCKS! 96.7 doesn't reach outside the Inland Empire counties.

KCAL Rocks is one of the 909's few redeeming qualities, along with Big Bear and Mt. Baldy. The only issue is when they start on a solid block of crappy Nickelback/Saliva/Limp Bizket, I have to turn away until they get back to the standards of Metallica/Nirvana/Iron Maiden

NoVa

Quite the funny name.

puerile

Looks like vocabulary day for Halls120  Wink

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 27):
I'll listen to Bayou 95.7-FM, which plays classic rock, and also carries the morning Walton and Johnson show.....

While I used to listen to the Bah-U off and on, I couldn't stand Walton and Johnson and wouldn't touch it. Other than that, I did listen to 91.5 FM, WTUL, which is Tulane's station and has the typical college radio mish mash. Honestly though, I was heavily dependent on the XM.

Quoting IH8BY (Reply 36):

106 JACK FM. So far the only JACK franchise in the UK

Be happy it is the only one. The JACK format is terrible and absolutely ruined a great station in Arrow-93 here in L.A.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Tom in NO

Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:37 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 41):
Honestly though, I was heavily dependent on the XM.

If I spent more time on the radio than I do, I'd probably do that, too. Overall, the radio stations down here are crap.

Did Rick Dees finally quit KIIS-FM? I heard that that jerk Ryan Seacrest is now the morning DJ. Dees' show was actually pretty cool back in the mid-80's.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

N1120A

Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:56 pm

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 42):

Did Rick Dees finally quit KIIS-FM? I heard that that jerk Ryan Seacrest is now the morning DJ. Dees' show was actually pretty cool back in the mid-80's.

Dees was essentially forced out, as Seacrest was under contract at Clear Channel for his drive time show on Star 98.7 and CC wanted him on their flagship morning show. Dees was shuffled over to 92.3 The Beat.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss