Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TheRedBaron

RE: Western Hemisphere Closer To Continental War?

Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:07 am

Colombia-Venezuela war = gas at 120+ a barrel...

btw now they are investigating links between farc and mexican drug cartels....

heck the plot thickens...
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

Marcus

Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:10 pm

Quoting Theredbaron (Reply 50):
btw now they are investigating links between farc and mexican drug cartels....

Well that has been a "secreto a voces" for some years now...

Quoting Theredbaron (Reply 50):
Colombia-Venezuela war = gas at 120+ a barrel...

Interesting scenario that is unravelling....if believe there is a real posibility of Colombia having some armed skirmishes with Venezuela along their border, a full out war between both countries I find less likely to happen, I believe the same can be said between Colombia and Ecuador.

If this sabre rattling does not end soon what can we see in the following weeks?

I really do not believe that Colombia would strike first, going in to an armed conflict with either Venezuela or Ecuador would have the other country join the fight against Colombia, and now Colombia would have a two front war.

Would Peru take advantage of an Ecuador, with its hand full with Colombia, in order to advance its position in their common border? could we have a repeat of the mid 90's between these 2 countries.

How would Brazil react to armed conflict next to it's northwestern territories?......Evo Morales has been really quiet on this, specially now that his friend in Quito and Caracas are showing a lot of their playing cards.
Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

andessmf

Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:29 pm

Quoting Marcus (Reply 51):
If this sabre rattling does not end soon what can we see in the following weeks?

An excuse by other members of the Ecuadorian government to remove Correa from power. I was reading the local news (eluniverso.com, in Spanish only) and some are already questioning the government that allowed terrorist in the country.

Would Peru take advantage of an Ecuador, with its hand full with Colombia, in order to advance its position in their common border? could we have a repeat of the mid 90's between these 2 countries.

A peace treaty and final solution was signed in 1998.

Derico
Topic Author

Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:42 pm

That would be a massive escalation because it would immediately broaden the conflict to Peru, AND Chile, because these two countries have territorial disputes as well and such an act by Peru would be seen as a major threat by Santiago.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

MaverickM11

Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:45 pm

Quoting AR385 (Reply 49):
Correa, the other simian, has said that their country was "about to get the FARC to free Ingrid Betancourt"

Wow...oil needs to come down below $80 if only to economically castrate Chavez and Correa
I don't take responsibility at all

Derico
Topic Author

Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:13 pm

Presidents George Bush of the United States and Evo Morales of Bolivia have spoken within the last hour.

Bush has said that the United States is with the government and people of Colombia, but that is asking for calm in the region. He also is urging a trade deal with Colombia.

Morales has said his visit to Cartagena for a South America conference is now in doubt, since Venezuela and Ecuador already have said they would boycott.

This South American integration summit seems to be nearing total collapse.

Chilean president Michelle Bachellet has question Colombia's actions and understands fully the reaction of the Ecuadorian government.

Meanwhile Colombian president Alvaro Uribe has formally acussed Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez of being cohort with FARC, and will make it official at the United Nations.

Southamerica

Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:16 pm

The Colombian Goverment has officially decided to denounce Chavez upon the International Criminal Court based on the evidence found in Raul Reyes' belongings, which show that Chavez has directly financed FARC with 300 million dollars, and has offered them second-hand weapons.

Colombia will equally denounce FARC upon the UN for trafficking with Uranium, specifically 50kg, as pointed out in the evidence retrieved by the Colombian military from the site where the FARC leader got killed.

SA.

AM744

Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:18 pm

XIX century all over again. It is unbelievable that in the XXI century Latin American countries are considering war among them rather than full economic and military integration EU style.

miamiair

Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:23 pm

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 43):
I expect his ouster soon.

From your lips to God's ears.

Would it be asking too much to take Evo and Hugo with him?
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

andessmf

Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:27 pm

Quoting SOUTHAMERICA (Reply 56):

This ought to be really interesting, I doubt Uribe would take this step if the evidence was not pretty damning. So far we already have a basic admission of guilt by Ecuador about having contact with the FARC. Now I am really curious to see what evidence is presented about financial support by Chavez to the FARC.

Derico
Topic Author

Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:29 pm

Quoting AM744 (Reply 57):
XIX century all over again. It is unbelievable that in the XXI century Latin American countries are considering war among them rather than full economic and military integration EU style.

Venezuela is to announce they will send additional military 'infraestructure' to the border in response to Colombia's newest accusation.

andessmf

Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:33 pm

Quoting Derico (Reply 60):
Venezuela is to announce they will send additional military 'infraestructure' to the border in response to Colombia's newest accusation.

Is this not a confirmation that the accussations are TRUE?! I would say that Chavez's support would disappear quite quickly if this were confirmed.

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 58):
Would it be asking too much to take Evo and Hugo with him?

Don't forget Noriega.

Derico
Topic Author

Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:37 pm

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 61):
Is this not a confirmation that the accussations are TRUE?! I would say that Chavez's support would disappear quite quickly if this were confirmed.

Well the news is very fluid that is what the guy on tv said, perhaps it's just a coincidence and he was just inferring. We will have to see.

miamiair

Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:50 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,334756,00.html

In a speech at the U.N. Human Rights Council, Justice Minister Gustavo Jalkh said Colombia's incursion on Ecuadorean territory violated the right to life and security of Ecuador's people. He said Colombia also attacked fundamental principles of peace and security.

What a bunch of poppycock. The citizens of Colombia aren't entitled to the same right? Ecuador knowingly harbors these parasites on humanity and they (Correa's government) are the victims. Colombia should give fair warning to all and mine its borders. Cross the line and lose a leg, tough poop.

Derico
Topic Author

Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:04 pm

President Alan Garcia of Peru has just spoken and has said Venezuela 'should not' immerse itself in this delicate situation betwen Ecuador and Colombia.

President Correa of Ecuador, in Lima on a trip to Peru, Brazil and Venezuela seeking support for their case, is calling for Colombia to be 'punished' for it's actions.

miamiair

Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:21 pm

Quoting Derico (Reply 64):
President Correa of Ecuador, in Lima on a trip to Peru, Brazil and Venezuela seeking support for their case, is calling for Colombia to be 'punished' for it's actions.

Being surrounded by those idiots is punishment enough.

Dougloid

Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:28 pm

Quoting Derico (Reply 48):
Quoting Dougloid (Reply 37):
Has anyone yet thought about blaming the Gringos for this contretemps? There's some real mileage there.

Castro already did this afternoon.

http://www.dailymail.com/News/200803...30160

Well. That was helpful.

It shows you he's senile along with being a grouchy old man.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

andessmf

Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:29 pm

Quoting Derico (Reply 64):
President Alan Garcia of Peru has just spoken and has said Venezuela 'should not' immerse itself in this delicate situation betwen Ecuador and Colombia.

Likewise should be told to Ecuador about getting involved in the FARC/Colombia situation.

Marcus

Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:41 pm

Quoting SOUTHAMERICA (Reply 56):
Colombia will equally denounce FARC upon the UN for trafficking with Uranium, specifically 50kg, as pointed out in the evidence retrieved by the Colombian military from the site where the FARC leader got killed.

Do I smell a FARC-Venezuela-Iran uranium trail?
Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

LHStarAlliance

Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:45 pm

Quoting Marcus (Reply 68):

Wink

Seriously : There's a difference between the "bomb" of Iran and the supposed bomb of the FARC , one is a real Atomic bomb and the other is a dirty bomb .

Constantin
Boycott The Olympic Games In Beijing !

Marcus

Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:48 pm

I don't know about Germany, but in the rest of the world uranium is not something you can buy at the corner store....and I never said the FARC wanted an A-bomb either.

[Edited 2008-03-04 11:52:26]

MD11Engineer

Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:21 pm

Quoting Marcus (Reply 70):
I don't know about Germany, but in the rest of the world uranium is not something you can buy at the corner store....and I never said the FARC wanted an A-bomb either.

O, again:
Uranium (in natural nuclid composition 99.5 % U238, 0.2% U235) is a rather harmless, slightly radioactive metal. It's main danger lies in the fact that it is, as a heavy metal, similarly poisonous as lead or cadmium. Uranium is a naturaly occuring metal, which is quite common (for instance I have several pieces of uranium ores (Pitchblende, Uraniumglimmer) in my minerals collection, I keep them in the garage because they emitt small quantities of radon gas).
Also, when my old company scrapped the ex LH jumbos a few years ago, we had about two tons of depleted uranium balance weights stacked up in a storeroom in the hangar for several years.

Now, if the uranium found was enriched, this mean a higher content of U235 than normal, I would worry, especially if it was weapons grade uranium (99% U235).
It is very unlikely though that the uranium found was enriched though.
U238 or natural uranium can not be used for building nuclear weapons, only highly enriched (weapons grade) uranium will work.

As for building a dirty bomb, uranium would be about the last choice I would use. I could contaminate a piece of land better using some highly radioactive material like Co60 or Cs137 (which is available e.g. from medical radiotherapy sources).

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

TheCol

Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:51 pm

Quoting LHStarAlliance (Reply 29):
well everybody has a different way to see this .. I just say that I will condemn every war .

Yeah, we get it.  shhh 

Quoting AR385 (Reply 49):
If it is proven that Chavez has given cash to the rebels, Venezuela, and I apologize to the Venezuelan people, should be treated no differently than Iran. As a State that sponsors terrorism. UN economic sanctions should apply, and the OAS needs to clarify its position towards Venezuela ASAP.

checkmark 

I think we should expect China and Russia to get involved with Comrade Hugo, especially if the US backs Colombia. There is a lot of money to be made off of a regional arms race. Furthermore, they would probably perceive US involvement as a threat to their interests in that region.

Quoting Marcus (Reply 68):

Substitute Iran for China or Russia.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

Marcus

Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:15 am

Quoting TheCol (Reply 72):
Substitute Iran for China or Russia.

Interesting, it appears that FARC was after the uranium not for personal use but to sell it on to a third party.......sorry link only in Spanish.

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/notas/487380.html

It also looks like Chavez offered them oil and gasoline sales revenues, and even creating a company in venezuela as a front for FARC, that would get Venezuelan Government contracts!

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/notas/487392.html

stratosphere

Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:09 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 18):
Sounds like Chavez is the only one that actually does want a war.

I think Pat Robertson was right. This dude should be taken OUT.

Derico
Topic Author

Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:22 pm

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 67):
Likewise should be told to Ecuador about getting involved in the FARC/Colombia situation.

So you think the FARC rebels can be completely stopped by Ecuador, in such a jungle region, from crossing the border? I'm just asking, I actually don't know.

Ecuador's president has said that if an Ecuadorian national had been killed in the attack, there would be open war right now between Ecuador and Colombia.

Dougloid

Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:22 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 71):
Uranium (in natural nuclid composition 99.5 % U238, 0.2% U235) is a rather harmless, slightly radioactive metal. It's main danger lies in the fact that it is, as a heavy metal, similarly poisonous as lead or cadmium. Uranium is a naturaly occuring metal, which is quite common (for instance I have several pieces of uranium ores (Pitchblende, Uraniumglimmer) in my minerals collection, I keep them in the garage because they emitt small quantities of radon gas).

Beware of Fiestaware plates that are orange.

http://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/consumer%20products/fiesta.htm
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

AR385

Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:02 pm

Colombian and Ecuador seem to be on the mend. Today, they agreed on a resolution by the OAS in which there is no condemnatory resolution for Colombia's border incursion.

On the other hand, Chavez is still stirring the pot. More military forces have been movilized and more are headed to the border.

Chavez has to go.

Southamerica

Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:35 pm

Quoting AR385 (Reply 77):
On the other hand, Chavez is still stirring the pot. More military forces have been movilized and more are headed to the border.

There is a street rumor going on that Manuel Marulanda, the terrorist head leader of FARC, may be hidden in a camp or farm in Venezuelan territory, and that the Colombian government had set up a similar plan to shoot him down, just like they did with Raul Reyes in Ecuador. All this movilization of Venezuelan troops to the border might be to prevent a similar operation.

SA.

andessmf

Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:53 pm

Colombian and Ecuador seem to be on the mend

That sounds good.

Chavez is still stirring the pot

Can't say I am surprised by this.

Quoting SOUTHAMERICA (Reply 78):
All this movilization of Venezuelan troops to the border might be to prevent a similar operation.

What, Chavez doesn't want to get rid of known criminals? Maybe he wants a cut of the drug trade to support his 'revolution'?

andessmf

Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:23 am

More news about Chavez's connections to the FARC.

If true, they are pretty damning.

"Files in a laptop computer seized from the wreckage of a Colombian rebel camp in Ecuador offer new insights into Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez's desire to undermine Colombia's U.S.-allied government.

If authentic, the computer files suggest Chavez has been in league with the rebels for more than a decade."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080305/...n_re_la_am_ca/colombia_farc_laptop

andessmf

Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:34 am

Chavez's rhetoric continues:

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez on Wednesday called a Colombian raid that killed two dozen rebels in Ecuador a "war crime,"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080306/..._on_re_la_am_ca/colombia_venezuela

I spoke to my mother in Ecuador today. She basically said that while she is upset over the attack, they are more concerned about what the government was doing talking to the FARC. At the same time, Correa's popularity keeps sinking.

AR385

Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:48 am

The situation in Venezuela must be really bad for Chavez to keep the sabre-rattling. It makes no sense, given the fact that Colombia and Ecuador have "made up". As I mentioned before, there is a scary parallel between Galtieri the drunk and Chavez the orangutan. Galtieri invaded Las Malvinas to distract the Argentine population from the real issues. Chavez appears to be doing the same. I hope he doesn't do anything stupid. Oh wait...stupidity seems to be his calling card.

Chavez has anounced that he will sell off all Venezuelan companies operating in Colombia and he will proceed to nationalize Colombian companies in Venezuela. He is also saying that the $4B US in trade between the two countries will stop. I really feel bad for the Venezuelans.

Chavez has to go.

[Edited 2008-03-06 00:11:23]

halls120

Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:44 pm

Quoting Derico (Reply 75):
So you think the FARC rebels can be completely stopped by Ecuador, in such a jungle region, from crossing the border? I'm just asking, I actually don't know.

Ecuador probably can't stop the FARC on their own. Problem is, Colombia has been giving them information on where the FARC camps in Ecuador are located, and Ecuador has done nothing to address the misuse of their territory. Colombia simply got tired of waiting for Ecuador to act.

Quoting Derico (Reply 75):
Ecuador's president has said that if an Ecuadorian national had been killed in the attack, there would be open war right now between Ecuador and Colombia.

Well, it would have been a short war.

Colombian and Ecuador seem to be on the mend. Today, they agreed on a resolution by the OAS in which there is no condemnatory resolution for Colombia's border incursion.

I suspect the saner voices in Ecuador's government convinced Correa he needed to wake up and smell the coffee.

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 81):
I spoke to my mother in Ecuador today. She basically said that while she is upset over the attack, they are more concerned about what the government was doing talking to the FARC. At the same time, Correa's popularity keeps sinking.

Most Ecuadorians I know are rabidly anti-FARC, and feel the same way.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

andessmf

Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:12 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 83):
Problem is, Colombia has been giving them information on where the FARC camps in Ecuador are located, and Ecuador has done nothing to address the misuse of their territory

Ecuador has done something about the FARC, they have spoken to them. Claiming igorance is BS. The government KNEW they were there.

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 83):
Most Ecuadorians I know are rabidly anti-FARC

Ecuador has not had the problems with local guerrillas, like the FARC and the Shining Path from Peru.

In other news, Daniel Ortega from Nicaragua has now broken off diplomatic relationships with Colombia.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080306/..._on_re_la_am_ca/nicaragua_colombia

WTF is this? I mean, this is an Ecuador/Colombia problem ALONE. If Chavez complains about US meddling, he should quit meddling as well.

AR385

Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:27 pm

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 84):
Daniel Ortega from Nicaragua has now broken off diplomatic relationships with Colombia.

If I recall correctly, the Nicaraguans and the Colombians have important territorial dsagreements regarding San Andres island. So this is probably Ortega, a lame Castro wannabe, trying to get a piece of the spoils.

Also, the Colombian raid is showing to be far reaching in its consequences. Victor Bout, the arms dealer was apprehended after he was tracked down to Thailand, thanks to info. retreived from the computers confiscated.

[Edited 2008-03-06 13:52:20]

andessmf

Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:58 pm

Quoting AR385 (Reply 85):
So this is probably Ortega, a lame Castro wannabe, trying to get a piece of the spoils.

With all their problems, this is certainly a good 'distraction'. Venezuela is still having food shortages, Correa's popularity is dipping lower and lower, etc.

TACAA320

Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:00 am

In other news, Daniel Ortega from Nicaragua has now broken off diplomatic relationships with Colombia.

Ortega is just an obedient servant of Chavez. Was something "expectable".
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

bhmbaglock

Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:48 pm

WTF is this? I mean, this is an Ecuador/Colombia problem ALONE. If Chavez complains about US meddling, he should quit meddling as well.

He's not meddling, he's just busy rebuilding Gran Colombia so the people will enjoy all the prosperity an even larger petro-narco-sociialist paradise has to offer; in the Bolivarian tradition of course.  sarcastic 
Where are all of my respected members going?

RobertNL070

Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:48 pm

Born to be wild ...... until about 9 p.m.
Home = RTM, Rotterdam The Hague.

LHStarAlliance

Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:09 pm

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 89):
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7284597.stm

Thanks god ! It would really have been sad to see the place of my childhood sinking into war .

Thanks Correa , Uribe and Chavez !

Constantin
Boycott The Olympic Games In Beijing !