Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MaverickM11

RE: What To Do In Houston?

Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:06 pm

Quoting Chugach (Reply 48):
That's all you've done on this thread.

Well it is a f#*($&ing dump, but it is cheap and it does have a lot of restaurants. See? Silver lining!

Most of my family lives down there...it's a place you have to know to appreciate. It doesn't just jump out and grab you like some other big cities.

I think 99.9% of people that like Houston are from here and/or have never left Texas.

Mike89406

Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:45 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 50):
Most of my family lives down there...it's a place you have to know to appreciate. It doesn't just jump out and grab you like some other big cities.

I think 99.9% of people that like Houston are from here and/or have never left Texas

It seems that is the case quite a few people I have met in my job from Texas act like their state doesn't stink and everywhere else does if its not from Texas it stinks (Where you're from, favorite sports teams etc..) They have this Texas Pride thing going and they are arrogant about it. Of course I'm not speaking about every Texan just some that have stood out from the crowd.

102IAHexpress

Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:04 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 50):
I think 99.9% of people that like Houston are from here and/or have never left Texas.

Interesting as the evidence clearly shows that the Southern US, Houston in particular, is in the middle of a domestic migration. Looking at some Census data from a few years ago shows that the Houston metro is only one out of three of the twelve largest that is gaining domestic migration, along with Atlanta and DFW. Fact is more and more people from outside of Houston are choosing to live here and choosing to continue living here. Keep in mind that this data is dated before the Katrina influx and does not account for foreign migration, of which Houston has lots.

http://www.census.gov/prod/2006pubs/p25-1135.pdf

All the original poster wanted to know was what there was to do in Houston, and your apparent purpose here is to keep bashing it and not add anything constructive.

You have to keep in mind that some of the current and former residents of NOLA get a kick out of bashing Houston, but that only shows that some residents would rather bash other cities rather than improve their own.

HickoryShampoo

Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:24 pm

I like Houston because I've been here my whole life and it's familiar. I know my way around without maps or GPS. I'm used to the traffic and the climate and take measures to deal with both. I've been elsewhere and have decided I'm content to stay here. If I weren't married or so invested in my current gig, I might have moved to Austin. Maybe Seattle or Portland. Dunno. I don't care for San Antonio or Corpus Christi, but I don't bash 'em when they're mentioned. Same for San Francisco, SoCal, the Dallasfortworthmetroplex, etc. I just prefer "home."

To those who dislike Houston and bitch about it, I'll happily tell 'em to...

fumanchewd

Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:34 pm

That big state scares me.

Chugach

Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:50 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 49):
No, I was just giving an honest opinion.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 49):
All of those cities have redeeming qualities

And my honest opinion is that L.A. is an overly pretentious cesspool, but I don't go pointing that out to Californians whenever the topic comes up, either. To each their own. Your point?

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 52):
You have to keep in mind that some of the current and former residents of NOLA get a kick out of bashing Houston, but that only shows that some residents would rather bash other cities rather than improve their own.

Irony at its best, considering it was Houston that opened its doors to NOLA after Katrina.

Quoting Mike89406 (Reply 51):
It seems that is the case quite a few people I have met in my job from Texas act like their state doesn't stink and everywhere else does if its not from Texas it stinks (Where you're from, favorite sports teams etc..) They have this Texas Pride thing going and they are arrogant about it.

Texans don't transplant well. It's a cultural thing down there. I just smile and nod at them whenever it comes up.

MaverickM11

Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:04 pm

Quoting Mike89406 (Reply 51):
They have this Texas Pride thing going and they are arrogant about it.

I've never understood that. I've lived in five states and they've all been great in their own way but I've never had this nonsensical arrogant pride. Maybe Texans just really love strip malls.

is in the middle of a domestic migration.

Because it's CHEAP and there's no income tax. If they had the anti-business regulations and taxation like California, this place would be empty. People still flock to CA because they *want* to live there. People come to Texas because they * have* to live here.

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 54):

There's nothing to be scared of other than bland generic suburbia.

fumanchewd

Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:09 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 56):
Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 54):

There's nothing to be scared of other than bland generic suburbia.

Ahhhhhahhahh!  shivers 

fraspotter

Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:16 am

You should definatly try to make it out to Austin and San Antonio... Though in Houston, NASA is a great place to go. But other than that, it's pretty much like any other city...

Even though I am in College Station (less than 2 hours from Houston) going to college, I haven't been into the city since last summer... So I'm sure there are many other things to do that are not popping up in my mind right now...

Chi-town

Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:34 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 16):
6. A significant number of neigborhood restaurants where the locals tend to eat out regularly.

I read somewhere that Houston was one of the "fattest" cities in the US?

N1120A

Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:40 am

Quoting Chugach (Reply 55):

And my honest opinion is that L.A. is an overly pretentious cesspool

Cesspool? I don't think so. Too clean.

As far as pretentiousness goes, that is generally a facade put up by transplants.

MaverickM11

Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:13 pm

In spite of all the bashing I do have to admit that Houston has probably the best supermarket in existence, so if you like to cook check out Central Market, and if you like liquor, check out Spec's in Midtown. They're pretty spectacular Smile.

us330

Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:29 pm

Do what you would do in any other texas city--eat your heart out.

Every night for dinner, try to find a different tex-mex/barbecue place to eat at.
You can't go wrong.

Oh and this is coming from a Dallas boy who thinks that this is the same exact thing any visitor should do when they come to Dallas, other than see the Nasher sculpture garden on a nice day.

MSYtristar

Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:48 pm

Whoa, wait a minute there. Who were you talking bout exactly? When I said "Texas has a few redeeming qualities, but Houston isn't one of them", I didn't say that to bash Houston. I was just giving my honest opinion after visiting the place numerous times. I like the airport, and I used to like AstroWorld, for what it's worth. Me being from New Orleans has absolutely nothing to do with it.