Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flyboysp
Topic Author

What To Do In Houston?

Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:44 pm

From late November i am considering travelling to Houston for about 3 weeks to visit family. What are some of the sites and attractions in Houston which i could visit during my time there? I am open to all suggestions.

Thanks in advance for all input and suggestions.

[Edited 2008-03-03 05:51:45]
#proudtobeabulldog

MaverickM11

RE: What To Do In Houston?

Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:01 pm

Attractions in Houston....hrmmmm.... Well if you find any let me know because I've been here two years and have yet to find anything redeeming in Houston. If you like big generic urban sprawl and vulgar weather you'll love it!
I don't take responsibility at all

corocks

Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:19 pm

Yes, unfortunately Houston cannot really be considered a "tourist" city. Some things worth doing though:

NASA (of course)
Museums
Shopping (the Galleria is impressive)
Galveston (the beach is crappy, but Moody Gardens and The Strand are nice)
Old town Spring

We also have some incredible dining as well (and not just tex-mex and BBQ)

If you are going to be here for 3 weeks then you could also take some side trips to Austin and San Antonio.

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 1):
and vulgar weather you'll love it!

But in November when he is here, we will be having some of the best weather in the country.

jcs17

Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:22 pm

Houston stinks (and in most parts of the city that statement can be interpreted literally). For fun, I would consider counting the days in a row with 100% humidity or the number of mosquito bites you get.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

MaverickM11

Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:51 pm

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 3):
Houston stinks (and in most parts of the city that statement can be interpreted literally).

Oooh! That reminds me, you can play "guess the origin of that odor?"

corocks

Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:03 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 4):

Give me a break. Houston does not smell any different than Dallas unless you go to the east side of town or the ship channel and stand at the gate of a refinery. Everywhere else it is just fine.

MaverickM11

Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:23 pm

Quoting COrocks (Reply 5):
Give me a break. Houston does not smell any different than Dallas unless you go to the east side of town or the ship channel and stand at the gate of a refinery. Everywhere else it is just fine.

Have you walked through downtown lately? Granted, they are probably similar smells to any other town

iflyatldl

Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:16 pm

So, it's come down to: "Smell my town"  Silly
Ah, Summer, Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox and Beer.....

corocks

Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:10 pm

Quoting Iflyatldl (Reply 7):
So, it's come down to: "Smell my town"

Sound like a new reality show on Fox.

boeing743

Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:27 am

I lived in Houston for 2 yrs. Really there is nothing to see but work and shopping in Houston only. If you want some tourist place, Corpus Christi is nice place to go for beach. Galveston is nice for shopping in old town but beach is YUCK!!, Moody Garden is worth to see. NASA is okay but good for young kids to enjoy but not for adults. Riverwalk at San Antonio is worth to see as there is plenty of stores and restaurants on Riverwalk.

RJdxer

Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:24 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 1):
Well if you find any let me know because I've been here two years and have yet to find anything redeeming in Houston.

I've been here 5 and I am always turning up little gems. I will list below.

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 3):
I would consider counting the days in a row with 100% humidity or the number of mosquito bites you get.

The number will be quite low in November.

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 4):
Oooh! That reminds me, you can play "guess the origin of that odor?"

If you are over in Stinkadena, Baytown, or Texas City, but on the west or north sides of town, smells like pine trees.

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 6):
Have you walked through downtown lately? Granted, they are probably similar smells to any other town

I work downtown and don't smell anyting I don't smell in any other city of a similar size.

If you are into antiques and specialty stores Old Town Spring.
The museum district has many attractions all worthwhile.
The battleship USS Texas and the San Jacinto monument.
The Kemah Boardwalk, it's like Old Town Spring but with amusement rides.
NASA is over rated, the Kennedy Space Center is much better.
In November the Texans should be playing at least one home game.
Katy Mills Mall.
The Forbidden Gardens in Katy
http://www.forbidden-gardens.com/
much much more.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

Fly2HMO

Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:01 am

Quoting COrocks (Reply 2):
NASA (of course)

I thought it was overrated. The only thing that was worth seeing was the Saturn V rocket they would've used in Apollo 18. It's the only completely original Saturn V remaining. It's $20 to get in there, PLUS parking. If I would've known I just would've gone to see the Saturn V and called it a day. But that's just me.

the Galleria is impressive

and DAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN there's hot girls a-plenty there, talk about eye-candy overdose  drool 

We also have some incredible dining as well

True, I was quite surprised at that, food here is great.

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 10):
I work downtown and don't smell anything I don't smell in any other city of a similar size.

Ditto

Midtown is a REALLY nice area too, lots of bars and great night life if you're into that.

I also gotta say downtown Houston is sparkling clean, can't say that for every major U.S. city I've been to, and I've been to almost all of them.

N1120A

Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:22 am

Museums

The OP is coming from Sydney, so it isn't going to compare.

Well, no, not really. I will say that I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of a restaurant I ate in downtown with a friend of mine a few years ago, but the price/quality ratio just wasn't there when you compare it to cities like L.A., New Orleans or New York.

But in November when he is here, we will be having some of the best weather in the country.

One, it wont compare to many places in the Country. Two, I have found the weather in the Gulf South and Southeast Texas to be very fickle in November, to the point that it gets downright bone chilling.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

767Lover

Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:49 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 11):

True, I was quite surprised at that, food here is great.

Houston was named among the 10 Best Restaurant Cities in America by Forbes Traveler in 2007 -- ahead of Washington DC, Boston and Las Vegas.

Criteria:

1. Overall number of restaurants above the fast food level.

2. Number of fine dining restaurants with national and international standing.

3. Solid representation of regional American food.

4. A wide segment of second-tier restaurants that would include seafood, steakhouses, and independently chef-owned restaurants.

5. Breadth and depth of ethnic restaurants, especially if the city has neighborhood such as a Chinatown.

6. A significant number of neigborhood restaurants where the locals tend to eat out regularly.

7. A well-traveled clientele that regards eating out in that city one of the real pleasures of going there.

http://www.forbestraveler.com/food-drink/restaurant-cities-story.html

PS: Houston is also considered a "forward-thinking food capital" by Travel & Leisure.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...best-new-american-restaurants-2004

[Edited 2008-03-03 19:55:08]

AR385

Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:08 am

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 10):
I've been here 5 and I am always turning up little gems. I will list below.

I lived in Houston for 3 years. I would say it is like New York. Many things to do. Great museums. Great nightlife. Great restaurants for all tastes. Great airliner spotting. Diversity. If you swing that way, a very open gay community with great gay venues. Shopping of course. What else? IM me if you have questions or want more info.

[Edited 2008-03-03 20:10:49]

WesternA318

Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:13 am

I've been here a month and have enjoyed in immensely so far.

N1120A

Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:30 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 14):

I lived in Houston for 3 years. I would say it is like New York.

rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl 

There is absolutely no comparison between the two

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 13):

Houston was named among the 10 Best Restaurant Cities in America by Forbes Traveler in 2007 -- ahead of Washington DC, Boston and Las Vegas.

That was a really bad set if criteria. Las Vegas, which has some of the country's top restaurants, got kicked to 10 almost certainly because it is weak on "regional" American food and doesn't have a massive number of restaurants, rather a concentration of excellent ones.

6. A significant number of neigborhood restaurants where the locals tend to eat out regularly.

That will always favor a larger city, simply because there are more people to feed.

1. Overall number of restaurants above the fast food level.

See above. Further, quantity doesn't dictate quality.

3. Solid representation of regional American food.

Really a so what category. What should matter is how good the food is in general, not whether they have a lot of briskets getting smoked.

AR385

Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:32 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 16):

That is your opinion. Have you lived there?

Mike89406

Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:37 am

I can tell you that much is true I have lived in Brooklyn for 4 yrs and been all over the city and visited numerous times before I lived there and recent day.

Although I can believe there is a lot of diversity in Houston to a small degree that NYC has, Houston it has it's own flavor and cannot be compared the same way in fact if you can't find something to do in any borough of NYC I'd have to say your not trying hard enough to have fun, or you really need a life.

I have been to Houston once and there are things to do but it would take someone living there for a while to find those spots. I was confused with the layout of the city. However before I get flamed by Houston residents I'm not saying there isn't anything to do there as I said I visited once but have a very vivid memory of it I actually drove X-cross country From Washington-Florida spending one of my nights in Houston as it was bigger than I thought Houston had its own vibe just like NYC has its own.

[Edited 2008-03-03 20:41:04]

N1120A

Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:41 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 17):

That is your opinion. Have you lived there?

I've spent enough time in both cities, actually more in Houston than New York, to know the difference. Plus, the sheer history and numbers have the scale at the floor for New York.

jcs17

Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:49 am

Do you also compare the common cold to Pancreatic Cancer?

Houston is more like Atlanta (Atlanta is slowly changing for the better... people are moving to downtown), the nicest neighborhoods are 35 miles away (north of IAH), the weather is terrible, and the traffic is absolutely atrocious.

When I say the weather is terrible, it is humid year round, so a 50 degree day feels like crap in November or January. In July, don't even bring up the weather. 90 degrees, 90 percent humidity, with thunderstorms every afternoon.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

767Lover

Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:37 pm

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 20):
Houston is more like Atlanta... the nicest neighborhoods are 35 miles away (north of IAH),

What on Earth are you talking about in regards to Atlanta? The nicest neighborhoods here are "intown:" Morningside, Inman Park, Druid Hills, Buckhead, Garden Hills, Ansley Park, Virginia-Highlands...the list goes on and on.

N1120A: Why are you so eager to bash Houston? What do you care? The OP is going to be there anyway to visit family and was looking for ideas to fill time.

RJdxer

Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:47 pm

When I say the weather is terrible, it is humid year round, so a 50 degree day feels like crap in November or January. In July, don't even bring up the weather. 90 degrees, 90 percent humidity, with thunderstorms every afternoon.

Well at least we don't go from an ice storm one day to blowing dust the next to sweltering heat the third like Dallas does. And you can get a beer anywhere around here.  wink  Unless they've changed some laws up there you might have to do some driving depending on where you live. I'd say DFW has as many weather related events as IAH and believe it or not, the humidity level isn't really all that bad in the winter. NYC can feel awful sticky in the summer time, especially down in the subway. Thunderstorms don't happen everywhere, every afternoon either, as my front lawn and water bill can attest too.

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 21):
N1120A: Why are you so eager to bash Houston? What do you care? The OP is going to be there anyway to visit family and was looking for ideas to fill time.

Yeah, I wondered about that myself. I've lived in New Orleans and Houston. The towns are completely different in culture and layout. Trying to compare the two is almost impossible. I haven't been to Sydney in decades and I never did visit the museums when I was there, but that does not mean that Houston's museum district is anything to ridicule in comparison. Spending "some time" in a city is in no way the same as living there so eating "downtown" leaves your view of the entire city just a little stunted whether we are talking about Houston, Miami, Kansas City, San Francisco, or Seattle.

Flyboysp, commondown and enjoy yerself. Shame the rodeo won't be on then but there will be plenty of other things to occupy 3 weeks of whatever free time you have.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

767Lover

Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:09 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 22):
but that does not mean that Houston's museum district is anything to ridicule in comparison.

Well, it seems there are more than a few people on these boards who believe that anything in the United States outside of NYC, San Francisco and LA is subpar.

corocks

Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:27 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 12):
One, it wont compare to many places in the Country. Two, I have found the weather in the Gulf South and Southeast Texas to be very fickle in November, to the point that it gets downright bone chilling.

Houston averages in the 60's and 70's in November with very low humidity. It is the perfect golf weather here during that time. Most other cities are bundled up in heavy jackets. I would say there are very few other major cities that compare during that time frame.

MaverickM11

Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:49 pm

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 11):
and DAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN there's hot girls a-plenty there, talk about eye-candy overdose

And always a quinceanera going on Silly

I would say it is like New York

Oh *HELL* no. This place is generic suburbia hell as far as the eye can see surrounding a ghost town of a downtown.

PS: Houston is also considered a "forward-thinking food capital" by Travel & Leisure.

Meh...if you love mediocre texmex/bbq/cajun you'll be in heaven on every other block. There are a lot of restaurants here, and a few of them are very good, but I think Houston wins these surveys just on quantity, and not so much quality.

daedaeg

Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:52 pm

I moved to Houston this past November and found the weather to be pleasant for the most part during that period. I really like it here and still exploring the city myself. I hear that Hermann Park area is nice to take a stroll through. You may want to check out Rice Village as well. Houston is not a touristy town and I think people here like it that way. But I think it's a great place to live. The people here are friendlier than other places I've lived.
Everyday you're alive is a good day.

MaverickM11

Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:57 pm

Quoting Daedaeg (Reply 26):
The people here are friendlier than other places I've lived.

Really? I'm not picking on Houston, in this case, but I really haven't found people to be any more friendly anywhere I've lived. They've all been about the same. Granted, they were a little more fake and image conscious in Boca Raton/Houston/Newport Beach than Ithaca/Greenwich/Denver, but more or less just as nice--or not nice if you're a glass half-empty person.

corocks

Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:18 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 25):
mediocre texmex

You just lost all credibility on dining discussions if you think Houston has "mediocre" tex-mex. Other than San Antonio, there is no better tex-mex anywhere.

MaverickM11

Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:23 pm

Quoting COrocks (Reply 28):
You just lost all credibility on dining discussions if you think Houston has "mediocre" tex-mex.

Whatever will I do now Yeah sure

102IAHexpress

Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:31 pm

Actually you can compare the two quite easily. Houston is second only to NY in the number of Fortune 500 companies Headquartered in the US, Houston is second only to NY in the number of foreign consulates with missions in the US, Houston’s skyline is the third tallest in the US, behind only NY and Chicago, our theatre district is second only to NY in the number seats available to patrons and we are only one of three other cities in the US with a permanent ballet, opera and symphony houses, our museum district is not as renowned as NY or DCs but outside of those two cities Houston’s is the best in the country. And our food is the best in the county and I will tell you why. Our restaurants don’t rely on tourists to fill the seats, because well…we don’t get a lot of tourists, so the food caters only to locals. So the restaurants in town can’t get away with serving rubbish to tourists. Houston and NY are both thriving immigrant cities, filled with people who work. No one moves to NY or Houston to retire and die. Both are port cities, but Houston’s port is actually number one in the country in terms of foreign tonnage ahead of the port authority of NY NJ. And Houston and NY are actually both urban dense, although density is overrated IMO, but if you look at the raw numbers Houston builds more density than most cities and at lower cost because there is no zoning in Houston. It goes on and on…

slider

Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:39 pm

I’ve lived here almost 6 years now and I like it but cannot explain why. It’s aethetically nasty, humid, sprawled out, but the cost of living is great, the people are cool, I can golf in January, there is a great attitude generally speaking. Houston has more museums and theater seats than any other city in the country other than NYC (if there’s any comparison to be made, that’s it) the restaurants are incredible, there is plenty to do and the quality of life is good.

Not the best place I’ve lived, not the worst by far. To each his own I guess.

HickoryShampoo

Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:02 pm

Sticking to the original topic...

- Houston Museum of Natural Science has rotating exhibits ("Lucy" is there now) and a permanent gems & minerals exhibit that is magnificent. There's the attached Cockrell Butterfly Center if you like the critters landing on you.

*slideshow deleted bue to Photobucket's user unfriendliness*

- Battleship Texas was definitely a worthwhile trip and the San Jacinto Monument (like the Washington Monument, only taller) is within walking distance.

- 1940 Air Terminal Museum at HOU, especially on the third Saturday of the month when they have the Wings & Wheels Weekend. They usually have an assortment of aircraft on the ramp in addition to the exhibit inside. Each month is a different theme with speakers and presentations.

- Scoot down to Galveston for the day to hit the beach

- Brazos Bend State Park to get your fill of alligators and assorted marsh critters.

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc133/HickoryShampoo/BBSF%202008/

Plus, I'm sure that if you're family is here, they know of some others that would be of interest to you. Hope this helps.

[Edited 2008-03-04 08:06:03]
This place is cashed, so I'm out. Someone PM me when A.net comes back.

RJdxer

Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:05 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 27):
Really? I'm not picking on Houston, in this case, but I really haven't found people to be any more friendly anywhere I've lived. They've all been about the same.

I'd have to disagree. Nashville, southern Georgia, Houston, Toledo, Cleveland in that order but on a chart Toledo and Cleveland would be on a platuea far below the other three.

N1120A

Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:06 pm

Quoting Corocks (Reply 24):

Houston averages in the 60's and 70's in November with very low humidity.

I don't consider 89% average relative humidity to be low.

Quoting Corocks (Reply 24):
Most other cities are bundled up in heavy jackets.

I'm not bundled up in a heavy jacket in November.

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 23):

Well, it seems there are more than a few people on these boards who believe that anything in the United States outside of NYC, San Francisco and LA is subpar.

Wrong. While my love of my home town, L.A., is well known, New York is actually not that high on my list. I am a big fan of New Orleans, Boston, Seattle, Portland and D.C.

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 21):
Why are you so eager to bash Houston? What do you care?

Because it really and truly is the worst major city I have ever been to. On the other hand, I like San Antonio.

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 30):
So the restaurants in town can’t get away with serving rubbish to tourists.

Ever heard of the word captive audience?

MSYtristar

Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:11 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 34):
Because it really and truly is the worst major city I have ever been to. On the other hand, I like San Antonio.

Yeah, Texas has a few redeeming qualities, but Houston, sadly, is not one of them.

MaverickM11

Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Ever heard of the word captive audience?

Houston has two things going for it in terms of restaurants--quantity and cost. If you can't find a good restaurant in Houston you're not trying very hard. I can walk to about a half a dozen in my neighborhood alone. There is a lot of very generic suburban chain crap, and you have to sift through a lot of texmex/bbq/cajun chaff to find the wheat.

Mike89406

Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:41 pm

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 23):
but that does not mean that Houston's museum district is anything to ridicule in comparison.

I know that is false I do like Brooklyn, NY and anything that isn't Manhattan but that has nothing to do with the discussion it seems when someone likes or dislikes NY it becomes "the only world they see in NYC or they are haters".

Quoting Mike89406 (Reply 18):
Although I can believe there is a lot of diversity in Houston to a small degree that NYC has, Houston it has it's own flavor and cannot be compared the same way

Houston had its own vibe just like

In short Houston miht be good for some and not so good for others. I move around the country quite often and I find that there are other places out there I prefer to live in besides just any metro city. I actually like Maryland personally its close to everything.

However back to the topic Houston might be fun to visit I'm sure you'll find plenty to do.

slider

Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:44 pm

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 30):
And Houston and NY are actually both urban dense, although density is overrated IMO

Sorry dude, I'm calling BS on that.

If you want to consider the Houston metro area to extend from Galveston to Conroe, which in essence it is, that's 90 frikkin miles. From Katy to Baytown? I don't know...also hell far.

It's a massively far-flung metro area. Half of which is in a flood plain and largely uninhabitable. There isn't a really cogent transportation solution (although I use Metro park & ride and love it), and density is what drives many urban planning decisions.

CJAContinental

Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:04 pm

Zoo near Texas medical center (Texas medical center's huge! Honestly, it could easily be mistaken for the downtown region of a small city)
Galleria shopping Mall (Expensive, though very exclusive, excellent place for gifts)
Schlitterbahn (waterpark)
Awesome restaurants (As said before, Houston has most restaurants in America, this means more competition, larger portions, lower prices, better quality food, eating out is made very affordable to many)
Obvious: Nasa (Highly Reccomend)
Downtown: Theatre district, Aquarium, go up the JPMorganChase tower (tallest building in Houston)
San Jacinto Monument, USS Texas.
Kemah boardwalk.

Depending on seasons:
Astros
Rockets
Aeros
Texans
Don't go and see the dynamos.
Westside tennis club (Again, world class tennis does come to Houston, but on occasion)

There are tons of things to do in Houston, and if you can, visit other places in texas to:

Riverwalk, San Antonio.
Far out west (big bend national park, quite a drive).
Southfork Ranch (Dallas).

To name a few.
Work Hard/Fly Right.

102IAHexpress

Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:32 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 38):
Sorry dude, I'm calling BS on that.

http://www.census.gov/const/www/permitsindex.html

It's a complicated table, but Tory over at Houston Strategies breaks it down very nicely.

http://houstonstrategies.blogspot.co...vs-dallas-portland-who-builds.html

corocks

Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:36 pm

That is the morning average humidity when there is still dew on the ground. Afternoon average humidity in Houston is 55% during November. Big difference.

Good for you. Did I say everyone?

flyboysp
Topic Author

Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:46 pm

So what kind of weather would that be? Since i will be there around Winter, how cold should i expect it to be?

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 3):
For fun, I would consider counting the days in a row with 100% humidity or the number of mosquito bites you get.

Hehe, i am used to that weather both here in Sydney and Manila.

I have been to Houston once and there are things to do but it would take someone living there for a while to find those spots. I was confused with the layout of the city.

Could you please elaborate for me?

Flyboysp, commondown and enjoy yerself. Shame the rodeo won't be on then but there will be plenty of other things to occupy 3 weeks of whatever free time you have.

I will definitely be taking advantage off all my time there.

Quoting HickoryShampoo (Reply 32):
Plus, I'm sure that if you're family is here, they know of some others that would be of interest to you

I'm sure they will. I'm sure my 22,21 and 18 yera old cousins will be able to help me out  Wink

Quoting CJAContinental (Reply 39):
Zoo near Texas medical center (Texas medical center's huge! Honestly, it could easily be mistaken for the downtown region of a small city)
Galleria shopping Mall (Expensive, though very exclusive, excellent place for gifts)
Schlitterbahn (waterpark)
Awesome restaurants (As said before, Houston has most restaurants in America, this means more competition, larger portions, lower prices, better quality food, eating out is made very affordable to many)
Obvious: Nasa (Highly Reccomend)
Downtown: Theatre district, Aquarium, go up the JPMorganChase tower (tallest building in Houston)
San Jacinto Monument, USS Texas.
Kemah boardwalk.

Depending on seasons:
Astros
Rockets
Aeros
Texans
Don't go and see the dynamos.
Westside tennis club (Again, world class tennis does come to Houston, but on occasion)

There are tons of things to do in Houston, and if you can, visit other places in texas to:

Riverwalk, San Antonio.
Far out west (big bend national park, quite a drive).
Southfork Ranch (Dallas).

To name a few.

Thanks for the list.

Depending on my finances at the time, some side trips around Texas would be on the agenda. In relation to the food/dining/restaurants, here and from my uncle suggest i'm in for some culinary delight.
#proudtobeabulldog

flyboysp
Topic Author

Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:55 pm

I just have a few more questions.

I'll be staying in the vicinity just East of Bammel Borth Houston Rd and North of Veterans Memorial Dr. What is that area like in general, and also how far is it from that area to IAH, where i will be flying into.

Regards.
#proudtobeabulldog

HickoryShampoo

Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:31 pm

Quoting Flyboysp (Reply 43):
I'll be staying in the vicinity just East of Bammel Borth Houston Rd and North of Veterans Memorial Dr. What is that area like in general

I have a friend who is a police officer in that area. If it's a newer neighborhood, you're OK. Anything south of that isn't so great.

how far is it from that area to IAH

Very close, by Houston standards. Only a few miles as the crow flies. If they're landing on the 8's, you'll have plenty of backyard spotting.
This place is cashed, so I'm out. Someone PM me when A.net comes back.

RJdxer

Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:05 pm

I'll be staying in the vicinity just East of Bammel Borth Houston Rd and North of Veterans Memorial Dr. What is that area like in general, and also how far is it from that area to IAH, where i will be flying into.

That area is mixed. There are some new neighborhoods with nice houses, some apartment complexes I'd be wary of after dark, as well as some commercial development. Believe it or not, a couple of small cattle ranches complete with horses are in the area too. You will also see a couple of oil rigs pumping along rt249. You are about 20-25 minutes away from the terminals at IAH. Bammel to the Beltway 8 to JFK, JFK straight on into the airport.

102IAHexpress

Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:08 pm

It’s funny I was in that area yesterday. The law firm I work for was doing a legal seminar over at Klein ISD. If that part of town is where you’re friends/family live, then I guess its okay, but if you have no ties to that area please reconsider, as its far from central Houston. I highly recommend staying in the Galleria, Downtown or TMC areas instead. The only plus side to that area is that it’s relatively close the IAH.

But in any event check this site out for info on what’s happening in H-Town. If you have a Houston question these guys have an answer.
http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/index.php?act=idx

slider

Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:59 pm

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 40):

http://www.census.gov/const/www/permitsindex.html

It's a complicated table, but Tory over at Houston Strategies breaks it down very nicely.

http://houstonstrategies.blogspot.co....html

HA! You're invoking a study of residential building permits in Houston VS Dallas, Phoenix or Portland?

I'm not arguing Houston is any more or less dense than a few select cities. I'm saying in general, the metro area is vast, not entirely connected, and spread out. That fundamental basis is pretty sound I'd say.

But in reading that explanation, I do agree with the 'no zoning' provisions we have here--it gets bashed a lot but has made for a more stable, if at the cost of aesthetics anyhow, community overall.

Chugach

Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:08 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 27):
I'm not picking on Houston

laughing   laughing   laughing 

That's all you've done on this thread.

Quoting Slider (Reply 31):
I’ve lived here almost 6 years now and I like it but cannot explain why.

Most of my family lives down there...it's a place you have to know to appreciate. It doesn't just jump out and grab you like some other big cities.

All the original poster wanted to know was what there was to do in Houston, and your apparent purpose here is to keep bashing it and not add anything constructive.

And you enjoy New Orleans?

And you enjoy New York, Boston, D.C., Seattle, and Portland?

N1120A

Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:49 am

Quoting Chugach (Reply 48):
All the original poster wanted to know was what there was to do in Houston, and your apparent purpose here is to keep bashing it and not add anything constructive.

No, I was just giving an honest opinion.

And you enjoy New Orleans?

And you enjoy New York, Boston, D.C., Seattle, and Portland?

All of those cities have redeeming qualities and/or great history and scenery.