Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LHStarAlliance
Topic Author

Great/Intelligent Quotes - Your Choice?

Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:23 pm

I like this ones :

The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization.
Sigmund Freud

Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.
Albert Einstein

Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
Oscar Wilde

Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.
Napoleon

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
Mahatma Gandhi

Sex without love is an empty experience, but as empty experiences go, it's a pretty good empty experience.
Woody Allen

What does not kill me makes me stronger.
Friedrich Nietzsche

and more ..

Yours ?

Constantin

[Edited 2008-03-03 09:27:13]

stlgph

RE: Great/Intelligent Quotes - Your Choice?

Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:32 pm

"When they like your passport photo, it's time to go home."
--Erma Bombeck

IFEMaster

Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:20 pm

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds."
~ Albert Einstein

GAIsweetGAI

Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:45 pm

Cf my signature - rough translation:

What does eternal damnation matter to whoever has experienced infinite joy for as little as one second?

A320ajm

Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:47 pm

Winston Churchill is my favourite. Here are a few examples:

"We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this Island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the Old."

"Upon this battle depends the survival of Christian civilisation. Upon it depends our own British life and the long continuity of our institutions and our Empire. The whole fury and might of the enemy must very soon be turned on us now. Hitler knows that he will have to break us in this island or lose the war. If we can stand up to him, all Europe may be free and the life of the world may move forward into broad, sunlit uplands. But if we fail, then the whole world, including the United States, including all that we have known and cared for, will sink into the abyss of a new Dark Age, made more sinister, and perhaps more protracted, by the lights of perverted science. Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour.' "

SAN787

Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:51 am

Good things come to those who wait, great things come to those who don't.

Confuscius

Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:05 am

What matters is not the length of the wand, but the magic in the stick.

-- Anonymous

AR385

Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:06 am

You may not know what the future holds, but experience is a great prophet

787seattle

Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:12 am

"I saw the movie, 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' and I was surprised because I didn't see any tigers or dragons. And then I realised why: they're crouching and hidden." ~~Steve Martin

"Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings." ~~Anonymous

...And then there are those never ending funny 'sayings' of our president, GWB.

Arrow

Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:12 am

Quoting A320ajm (Reply 5):
Winston Churchill is my favourite.

Mine too, but I like this one that came during a heated argument between Churchilll and Lady Astor:

Lady Astor: "If I were married to you, I'd put poison in your coffee."

Churchill: "If I were married to you, I'd drink it."

HAWK21M

Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:59 pm

This world is life a snakes & ladders board,some people have boards with more snakes & less ladders,others have boards with less snakes & more ladders.
Every day is the throw of the dice.Try to get the ladders & avoid the snakes...Thats life  Smile

I thought this up,so its not by any famous individual.but its very true.

regds
MEL

BCAInfoSys

Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:00 pm

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." — Benjamin Franklin

airfoilsguy

Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:25 pm

"God made whiskey so the Irish wouldn't take over the world" __ unknown

ctbarnes

Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:28 pm

A quick word about oral contraception: I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said, 'No.' --Woody Allen

When asked why she named her canary Onan, Dorothy Parker replied, "Because he is always spilling his seed on the ground."

Dorothy Parker and Clare Booth Luce were riding on an elevator together. When the door opened Luce motioned to the open door and said, "Age before beaty." And Parker walking out the door responded, "And pearls before swine."

Mark Twain ran his finger across a painting by James Whistler, which caused the artist to exclaim, "Don't touch that! Can't you see it isn't dry yet?" Twain responds, "I don't mind, I have gloves on."

Twain also once said of Cecil Rhodes, "I admire the man. I freely admit it. And when the time comes I shall obtain a piece of the rope as a keepsake."

And last but not least:

Epigram: A wisecrack that played at Carnagie Hall. --Oscar Levant

Charles, SJ

CaptOveur

Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:30 pm

"How are we going to get to the moon if we can't talk between two or three buildings?" -Gus Grissom

This has become our favorite quote at work since the introduction of our new radio system

DLPMMM

Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:45 pm

'The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers'

William Shakespere
'Henry VI"

ctbarnes

Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:53 pm

I can't remember which Astronaut it was-I think it was Alan Sheppherd said this while awaiting liftoff:

"It's comforting to know that everthing in this spacecraft was built by the lowest bidder."

Charles, SJ

AirCop

Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:06 pm

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." - John Adams 1814

"Perhaps it is a universal truth that the loss of liberty at home is to be charged to provisions against danger, real or pretended from abroad." - James Madison writing to Thomas Jefferson, May 13, 1798

"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." - James Madison

and finally

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target." - Ashley Brilliant

HT

Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:15 pm

"Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses" (If you had been silent, you would have remained a philosopher.)
Boethius

-HT

kmh1956

Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:24 pm

No idea to whom I should be giving credit for these quotes:

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Flying saucers are real. The Air Force doesn't exist.

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

One day my prince will come. He just took a wrong turn, got lost and is too stubborn to ask for directions.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon.

JCKastrup

Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:31 pm

Here's to alcohol, the cause of—and solution to—all life's problems - Homer Simpson

dc9northwest

Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:54 am

"I am mortal but am I human?" Per Yngve Ohlin

"God is Dead" -Nietzsche

"Ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα"
-some Ancient Greek dude.... Socrates if you really want a name  Wink means "I know that I know nothing", but sounds better in ancient Greek.

[Edited 2008-03-04 16:59:32]

a380us

Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:19 am

Quoting LHStarAlliance (Thread starter):
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.

I like that ALOT.

And one
Practice makes perfect, but no ones perfect so why practice?

stasisLAX

Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:03 am

"With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations." Second Inaugural Address - Abraham Lincoln

"And so, my fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world, ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man."
Inaugural Address - John F. Kennedy

"It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, "Peace! Peace!" -- but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!"
1775 speech to the Virginia Delegation in support of revolution, Patrick Henry

sprout5199

Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:05 am

Everything everyone ever does is in order to get laid

Said by my Ex wife--"God is a man, if he was a woman, she would have made cum taste like chocolate"

Dan in Jupiter

Duff44

Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:49 am

''I may disagree with what you say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it.''
- Voltaire

''If there is a bedrock principle of the first amendment, it is that government may not prohibit the expression of an idea simply because society finds the idea itself offensive or disagreeable''
- Justice William J. Brennan, Texas v. Johnson, 1989.

Cadet985

Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:16 am

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 14):
"How are we going to get to the moon if we can't talk between two or three buildings?" -Gus Grissom

Kinda sad, but if I recall correctly, didn't he say this the same day that he was killed?

Marc

CaptOveur

Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:14 am

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 26):
Kinda sad, but if I recall correctly, didn't he say this the same day that he was killed?

I think maybe 2 minutes before. It is still a great quote- especially when suffering with a lousy comm system and great failures in leadership. But that is for another thread.

JoshSixtySeven

Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:03 am

As per my signature;

"There are three types of lie; lies, damned lies and statistics"
-Mark Twain

nighthawk

Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:20 am

Quoting Ctbarnes (Reply 16):
I can't remember which Astronaut it was-I think it was Alan Sheppherd said this while awaiting liftoff:

"It's comforting to know that everthing in this spacecraft was built by the lowest bidder."

Your thinking of:

We're sitting on four million pounds of fuel, one nuclear weapon and a thing that has 270,000 moving parts built by the lowest bidder. (Rockhound - Armageddon)

It comes from the film armageddon.

ctbarnes

Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:32 pm

Quoting JoshSixtySeven (Reply 28):
"There are three types of lie; lies, damned lies and statistics"
-Mark Twain

This one's also been attributed to Benjamin Disraeli.

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 29):
Your thinking of:

We're sitting on four million pounds of fuel, one nuclear weapon and a thing that has 270,000 moving parts built by the lowest bidder. (Rockhound - Armageddon)

It comes from the film armageddon

I did a quick search (what I should have done in the first place) and found the quote did indeed origniate from Alan Shepherd:

It's a very sobering feeling to be up in space and realize that one's safety factor was determined by the lowest bidder on a government contract.

OTOH, the fact that the screenwriter from Armageddon used it was probably the best thing about an otherwise terrible film.

Charles, SJ

Kieron747

Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:03 pm

“He remarks that, while the individual man is an insoluble puzzle, in the aggregate he becomes a mathematical certainty...

You can, for example, never foretell what any one man will do, but you can say with precision what an average number will be up to. Individuals vary, but percentages remain constant."

Sherlock Holmes summing up Winwood Reade in 'The Sign Of Four'.

Joni

Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:06 pm

"Deserves it! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement."

J.R.R. Tolkien

DLPMMM

Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:56 pm

Quoting Kieron747 (Reply 31):
“He remarks that, while the individual man is an insoluble puzzle, in the aggregate he becomes a mathematical certainty...

You can, for example, never foretell what any one man will do, but you can say with precision what an average number will be up to. Individuals vary, but percentages remain constant."

Sherlock Holmes summing up Winwood Reade in 'The Sign Of Four'.

Very similar to Quantum Physics!

exFATboy

Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:05 pm

"I have gotten more out of alcohol than alcohol has gotten out of me." - Sir Winston Churchill

Between Churchill and Homer Simpson, I think there's a great quote for just about every subject!

"There's no such a thing like cheap and cheerful; there's cheap and nasty and there's expensive and cheerful." - Jeremy Clarkson

airfoilsguy

Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:07 pm

Seeing as my other post was deleted for "Low quality" I will post this in its place

“One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyranny.”

Bertrand Russell

WrenchBender

Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:08 pm

If you want love buy a puppy, If you want sex rent a whore.

An old bitter Chief Petty Officer I once worked for.
I do see his point.

WrenchBender

nighthawk

Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:14 pm

Quoting Ctbarnes (Reply 30):
I did a quick search (what I should have done in the first place) and found the quote did indeed origniate from Alan Shepherd:

i stand corrected. I did a search too, but on slightly different wording, and only found the armageddon quote, plus a myth about John glenn saying something similar.

Quoting Ctbarnes (Reply 30):
OTOH, the fact that the screenwriter from Armageddon used it was probably the best thing about an otherwise terrible film.

There were a few good quotes to come from that film though:

"American components, russian components, all made in Taiwan!"

jcs17

Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:55 pm

Anything I say or write.

PlymSpotter

Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:10 pm

These are a couple of the ones I like;

"Anyone who doesn't regret the passing of the Soviet Union has no heart. Anyone who wants it restored has no brains." - a great quote, until you realise that Vladimir Putin said it...

"I would not vote for the mayor. It's not just because he didn't invite me to dinner, but because on my way into town from the airport there were such enormous potholes." - an amusing one by Fidel Castro.

Dan  Smile

ctbarnes

Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:04 am

Sir Alec Douglas Holme: What do you think would have happened if Chairman Khruschev had been assassinated instead of President Kennedy?

Charman Mao: I do not believe that Mr. Onassis would have married Mrs. Khruschev.

(Also attributed to Gore Vidal)

Charles, SJ

ctbarnes

Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:04 pm

They're coming thick and fast folks:

Andre Gromyko, the famous former Soviet Foreign Minister wanted to toast the wife of then Secretary of State Dean Rusk during a state dinner. Wanting to demostrate his English prowess, he refused the services of a translator, raised his glass and said the following:

"I make toast to this gracious lady. Up your bottom."

Keep smiling,

Charles, SJ

aa61hvy

Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:13 pm

Quoting STLGph (Reply 1):
When they like your passport photo, it's time to go home."
--Erma Bombeck

She was a Dayton gal!

My favorite quote:

"People are sheep."

This is my favorite quote because it is true. Most people will do what the group does. I say why not break the mold?

To be great, think outside the box....

fridgmus

Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:18 pm

"I fear all we have done is awaken a sleeping giant, and filled him with a terrible resolve".

-Admiral Isoruku Yamamoto, Commander, Japanese Imperial Navy, December 7th, 1941, immediately after the attack on Pearl Harbor.

pilotfox

Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:06 am

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

--Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials
(Hitler's designated successor, the second man in the Third Reich)

us330

Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:34 am

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and to kick ass....and I'm all out of bubblegum"
-They Live-1988

"We are all stupid, and I am willing to acknowledge that simple, base stupidity can explain a lot of behavior”
-J Maarten Troost, author of Sex Lives of Cannibals

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.”
-Albert Einstein

"Just got to kick in and ante up"
--Glory

From Con Air
"Define 'irony': a bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane, to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash." [referring to Lynyrd Skynyrd and sweet home alabama ]
"What if I told you 'insane' was working fifty hours a week in some office for fifty years at the end of which they tell you to piss off; ending up in some retirement village hoping to die before suffering the indignity of trying to make it to the toilet on time? Wouldn't you consider that to be insane?"
-both from Garland Greene aka Steve Buscemi

And, lastly, from the Rock
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen!"
--Sean Connery

CanadianNorth

Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:38 am

"Men don't get lost, we just like take the scenic route" - Red Green

CanadianNorth

NAV20

Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:25 pm

Churchill again:-

"Democracy is the worst form of government except for all those others that have been tried."

ctbarnes

Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:37 pm

Quoting CanadianNorth (Reply 46):
"Men don't get lost, we just like take the scenic route" - Red Green

Another Red Green -ism goes something like:

If you can't be handsome, at least be handy.

and of course:

Keep your stick on the ice!

Charles, SJ

PanHAM

Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:32 pm

Quoting Pilotfox (Reply 44):

--Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials
(Hitler's designated successor, the second man in the Third Reich)

His most famous quote was

"If one allied bomber ever crosses the borders of the Reich, you can call me Hermann Meyer."

But that wasn't what i wanted to write.

There's much truth in

"Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what you gonna get"
Forrest Gump

A wisdom Hermann Meyer should have observed.