Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

eaa3
Topic Author

Gun Control: Your Opinion, Nothing Else.

Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:51 pm

This thread is a little different from the others. Instead of the same people endlessly arguing I would like simply for people to post what gun controls they would like or not like. Their own opinions.

Do not respond to other people´s opinions. Simply state your own opinion on gun control. This is a survey of sorts.

I would hope that this would establish what the general a.net public thinks about this matter instead of the elaborate opinions of a few.

Any comments that are not in line with the ground rules will be suggested for deletion.

eaa3
Topic Author

RE: Gun Control: Your Opinion, Nothing Else.

Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:51 pm

I personally think that the 2. amendment needs to be reconsidered and that gun ownership, apart from hunting riffles, should not be allowed any member of the public. Essentially John Q. Public should not be allowed to own a (non hunting related) gun for any reason, not for self defense or any other reason.

The reason I think this should be the case is complicated but among other reasons is the fact that if you compare western nations where owning a gun for self defense is not allowed with the U.S. there is simply so much more gun crime in the latter that there has to be a significant problem with this concept.

ORFflyer

Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:54 pm

I think gun control is hitting what you aim at..... I know it's a "canned" answer, but it sums it up pretty well for me. The only folks that should not be allowed to have guns are the ones that will use them for breaking laws. Figure out who they are before they commit the crime, and you win the prize.

TWFirst

Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:56 pm

My opinion:

YES!
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

Kay

Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:00 pm

Europe's opinion: the public should not be allowed to own a gun unless for specific reasons, such as requirements related to their profession.

Smile
Kay

JGPH1A

Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:03 pm

Nobody should be allowed to own a gun unless

a) They have to hunt their own food to survive

b) They are involved in game management that requires them to perform culling

or

c) They are threatened by predatory animals on a daily basis

There is no other valid excuse.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

ANCFlyer

Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:08 pm

Gun Control: Responsible gun owners already know proper gun control. And this has been expounded upon on this site over and over and over. Rehashing old terrain will go no where.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

lowrider

Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:10 pm

Provided you do not have a felony history or a history of violent mental illness, sure, buy up. I look at it from the standpoint of the government needs a compelling reason to take them away, not that people need to provide a compelling reason to own.
Proud OOTSK member

Arrow

Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:18 pm

In Canada, I'm all in favour of gun control -- especially if it stops the flow north across the border (which I guess is damn near impossible to do). I'm not in favour of a gun registry that ended up costing a billion bucks. There has to be a simpler solution.

The days when we all need guns to defend ourselves from critters (both 4-legged and 2-legged) are long gone. I'm not anti-hunting (although I don't like it) as long as it is tightly controlled.

In the US? Don't care what Americans do as long as it doesn't affect me. If they all want to pack guns, let 'em; it's their prerogative. Just don't try to cross the border with them (I guess that has been a problem from time to time).
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Longhornmaniac

Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:20 pm

Basically, the way I see it, the majority of people out there are responsible, educated, safe gun-owners. I have no problem with them owning and using guns for leisure or self defense. That being said, there is always a market for guns to be used to commit crimes. I don't claim to tell people how to use their weapons, but I cannot think of any reason (but by all means tell me if there is, Pep or others) why anyone would need an assault rifle in today's world. They seem to be completely unnecessary, and can potentially create big problems (more so than other guns would).

I completely understand that to many people, guns are a hobby/sport. If they want to have a gun, I say more power to them. As Pep pointed out, most people who want guns already know how to use them safely. I'm sure they also know why it's important to keep them out of the hands of people who don't, or who choose not to. In that sense, I completely support extensive background checks, even if that means waiting a couple of weeks to actually be able to use the new gun. Barring something really obvious that I missed, I also support an Assault Weapons Ban.

But in the end, I think gun education for those that don't know how to use them is a far better alternative than gun CONTROL, so to speak.

twocents 

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

MDorBust

Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:21 pm

They should all be destroyed before humanity destroys itself.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

kmh1956

Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:21 pm

I am not now, nor will I ever be, a supporter of the right to carry a gun. I've read all the debates on this forum, and listened to Chuck Heston and his cronies in the NRA touting their right to bear arms. I don't buy it....

"You need a gun to protect yourself"...tell that to the family who was shot in their sleep by the teenaged daughter...mother and two younger brothers died.

"You should be able to carry a concealed weapon"...only if you have something to hide, in my book.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

ManuCH

Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:26 pm

I think anyone mentally fit and given an appropriate training should be allowed to own guns if he wants to. What needs to be defined is the "mentally fit and given an appropriate training" part, and that's where it gets hard IMHO.

In other words, no, don't give weapons to just anyone, but don't ban them either. People who want to own guns should meet specific criteria, which should be defined by an ad-hoc government workgroup.

A gun is only as dangerous as the owner makes it. There's currently a discussion about "dangerous dogs" going on in Switzerland: the best way to solve this is making some kind of dog training mandatory to, basically, train the owner on how to handle the dog. It's the same for guns.
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

Pope

Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:27 pm

I'm against further restrictions on gun ownership by law abiding citizens. This country (and as a consequence most of Europe) wouldn't exist if guns weren't in the hands of "the people".
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

Emirates773ER

Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:34 pm

Quoting Arrow (Reply 8):
In Canada, I'm all in favour of gun control -- especially if it stops the flow north across the border (which I guess is damn near impossible to do). I'm not in favour of a gun registry that ended up costing a billion bucks. There has to be a simpler solution.

The days when we all need guns to defend ourselves from critters (both 4-legged and 2-legged) are long gone. I'm not anti-hunting (although I don't like it) as long as it is tightly controlled.

In the US? Don't care what Americans do as long as it doesn't affect me. If they all want to pack guns, let 'em; it's their prerogative. Just don't try to cross the border with them (I guess that has been a problem from time to time).

Excellent answer. Guns are for people who reinforce the law in the country, there is no way a civilian should own man unless needed by his profession. Plus the yankees need to leave their guns home when they cross our border.
The Truth is Out There ---- Face It!!!!!

ShyFlyer

Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:34 pm

Quoting Eaa3 (Thread starter):
Simply state your own opinion on gun control.

Well, since hitting your target has already been mentioned, I would say that gun control is knowing when not to use it.
I lift things up and put them down.

eaa3
Topic Author

Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:52 pm

In addition to what I said before I don´t really believe that you can distinguish with a high enough level of accuracy between those that will misuse and won´t misuse there guns. i.e. if your going to allow responsible people to have them then you will inevitably allow irresponsible people to have them.

CaptOveur

Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:02 pm

Using both hands

I like the idea of having background checks before buying guns from dealers.

Increased penalties for crimes involving guns.

Thats about all we need. Things like restricting guns with certain features like magazine capacity, bayonet lugs, and collapsible stocks are just a waste of time.

Also, I support concealed handgun licenses. However, I want the same class and background check that allows someone to carry a gun concealed to allow them to carry it openly as well. More guns in the hands of law abiding citizens is a good thing. Also, fewer restrictions on where law abiding citizens can carry (places like universities).
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

eaa3
Topic Author

Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:12 pm

As this is a survey of sorts please don´t hesitate to post your thoughts even though similar opinions have been posted. It will only give a better picture of how many are of each opinion.

Dougloid

Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:29 pm

I'm a strict constructionist, original intent kind of guy. Everyone should have the right to keep and bear arms of the type that existed in 1791 when the bill of rights was adopted, and no more than that. One muzzle loading smoothbore Flintlock musket. In addition, said owners must be able to prove their membership in a recognized well regulated militia as that term was understood in 1791.

any farther than that and you're taking the constitution in directions that were never intended. If the founders knew what we would do with it, the second amendment never would have stood a chance. We also settled the notion of state suicide in 1861-1865, that is, is it rational for a state to commit suicide by application of its own law?

[Edited 2008-03-05 10:31:45]
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

Rara

Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:34 pm

In this country? I want gun control laws the remain as they are; with guns heavily restricted and not available to anyone except for law enforcement, hunters etc.

However, if in another country the situation is such that the general population needs to own firearms in order to feel safe, and if the majority is willing to pay that freedom with the higher deathtoll that is associated with it, then that's fine with me; I'm not going to argue with that. I think it's a matter of consensus in society.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

Arrow

Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:15 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 19):
I'm a strict constructionist, original intent kind of guy. Everyone should have the right to keep and bear arms of the type that existed in 1791 when the bill of rights was adopted, and no more than that. One muzzle loading smoothbore Flintlock musket.

Good one. I can support that. I do have a problem with the fancier versions that can mow 50 people down in a few seconds; I can't fathom why anyone (other than the military) should have those things lying around. But then -- we don't allow people to have those things lying around, fortunately.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

LHStarAlliance

Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:27 pm

Quoting Kay (Reply 4):
Europe's opinion: the public should not be allowed to own a gun unless for specific reasons, such as requirements related to their profession.

Smile
Kay

Ia agree with you
Boycott The Olympic Games In Beijing !

fr8mech

Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:34 pm

Any interpretation of the 2nd amendment not withstanding:

Guns should be regulated, or more correctly, gun ownership, to the extent that the owner of said gun(s) is competent to own and use responsibly. I'm all for recurrent training and background checks.

NFA is good. AWB was bad.

Now the cliches:

If guns are outlawed, then only outlaws will have guns.
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Gun control is hitting your target.
An armed populace is a polite populace.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away.
Gun free zones mean that there is no one to oppose you if you have a gun (and malicious intent).
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

AirTranTUS

Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:04 pm

Quoting Eaa3 (Thread starter):
Gun Control

Means using both hands.
I love ASO!

IFEMaster

Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:18 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 6):
Gun Control: Responsible gun owners already know proper gun control.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Except that I do have a hard time justifying the ownership of laser sighted fully automatic .50 BMG weapons and similarly powerful firearms.

[Edited 2008-03-05 14:47:42]
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

CaptOveur

Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:41 pm

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 25):
Couldn't have said it better myself. Except that I do have a hard justifying the ownership of laser sighted fully automatic .50 BMG weapons and similarly powerful firearms.

Fully automatic weapons haven't been legal since 1937. Without going through a ton of paperwork.

Aside from the north Hollywood shootout there really haven't been any cases of full auto weapons being used in crimes. I highly doubt there are any cases of legally owned fully automatic weapons being used in crimes.

Laser sighting really wouldn't be useful on something chambered for .50BMG but that is just my opinion.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

Braybuddy

Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:58 pm

If "Guns don't kill people, people do", then the sensible answer is to keep guns away from people. Not always possible, of course, but making them illegal (with rare exceptions) helps.

Delta767300ER

Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:11 pm

I am fully against Gun Control. I believe gun ownership is a civil liberty by the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution. Gun Control will NEVER stop gun crimes as most gun crimes are committed from illegal guns from the black market. I am also against magazine rescrictions, collapsable stock restrictions, ect.

I support background checks for gun owners, and support convicted felons not being able to own/possess guns.

I use guns in my job, for home/self defense, and for hobbies. i.e: Target practice, hunting, skeet, ect.

-Delta767300ER

nitrohelper

Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:38 pm

Any person without a criminal record should be "permitted" to carry a concealed weapon after passing a gun safety test.
There should be a mandatory five year minimum jail sentence for anyone caught carrying a gun without a permit. The penalty would be tripled for committing a crime with a gun. Any gun penalty would have to be served in addition to the crime penalty with no plea bargain allowed. Multiple offenses would be double time served.
No permit should be required to keep a weapon in your residence or on your land. Twice in my life a shotgun prevented some bad guys from causing a problem on my land. Watching them run through the barbed wire fences was a bonus.
Law abiding citizens don't require gun laws, but the criminals, past and future, need enforced controls !

United_fan

Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:21 am

IMHO,all gun owners should have to jump through the hoops I did to get my handgun in NY.

* 4 Character Referances

* No fellony convictions.

* Clean mental history.

* Get fingerprinted (at your expense)

* Get 2 pictures (at your expense)

* Spend $145 , wait at least 6 months,and you should get one ( pistol permit)

Versus if you want a shotgun in NY;

* 18 or over.

*Valid ID

That's it ! It's not even close to being fair.

I think that all states should make it this hard to get a gun,handgun of long-gun.Some states only require a license to get a handgun!
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"

DC10extender

Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:13 am

If guns kill people, then spoons made Rosie fat.

Now, I am for keeping the usual background checks and all but beyond that, guns should be completely legal, and we have the right to carry them.
Did you ever read on your birth certificate that life is fair? Thats cause its not there.

dl021

Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:45 am

I am all for gun controls.... safeties, sights, pistol grips, slings, bipods, optics, sandbags, benchrests.....stuff like that.

I think the safety on the Sig 556 should be a little lower, though.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

L-188

Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:38 am

Only the lowest form of human scum supports gun control. Schumer, Brady, Feinstien, Boxer and Hitler are all the same IMHO

To support it is a affront to my human rights, my right to collect food, my right to association, my freedom.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

NKP S2

Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:43 am

Short and sweet: Against gun control. Strongly favor the rights of law abiding individuals to own guns if they choose to.

MCOflyer

Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:47 am

I am with the 2nd amendment.

Kinghunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

eaa3
Topic Author

Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:53 am

I think that the founding fathers were actually talking about a militia in the 2nd amendment. In there time i´m not sure there really was an official army but rather just militias of men that were willing to fight for a cause. Today we have an army for protection.

Kay

Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:21 am

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 38):

Quoting Kay (Reply 4):
Like being a Criminal?
Right now, most criminals have guns, most law abiding citizens do not.
If we reversed that statistic, there would be less crime.

I can't speak for the US. In Europe that is not true. Rampages have been less frequent. Distances are, to a certain extent, smaller, making the next police station or the next neighbor closer. Something about the history and the culture further contributes to these differences in scenario between Europe and the US. Therefore if everyone had a gun, crime rate would not decrease, it would either not change or increase.

yesterday I found myself stuck in a cab with a mentally unbalanced driver. At one point he started yelling and I yelled back (his credit card reader was not working, I was late 20mins for an appointment purely because of him, long story). Both of us got really angry, REALLY. If guns were normal culture, and if there was one in his possession, I think he might have pulled it to swing it around, or at least alluded to its presence in a threatening way.
Instead, it ended peacefully. What I am saying is that there was no other option for it to end then peacefully. However unbalanced that driver was, there are no guns in his or my mind, it's not part of the culture and a potentially dangerous situation was avoided.
The less guns are part of a culture of a country, the better.

Kay

Confuscius

Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:04 pm

Gun Control - NO
Bullet Control - YES

Guns don't kill people. Bullets kill people
Ain't I a stinker?

falstaff

Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:21 pm

You can't own too many guns...

An armed society is a polite society.

Criminals will always get guns, bombs, poison, etc.

Gun control only controls law abiding citizens.

Murder is already against the law so if you are hell bent on committing murder all the gun laws in the world will not stop you.

A violent society will continue to be violent regardless of firearms laws.

And my all time favorite, which is from the 1989 film UHF. "Gun control is for wimps and commies"...

I'm second from left, with the SKS.

Big version: Width: 1365 Height: 972 File size: 1117kb
Alex, Bryan, Blaine, and Brian
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

fumanchewd

Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:37 pm

With the exception of fully automatic weapons and such, I am for prescreening control only. No violent felons or crazies.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

redflyer

Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:49 pm

Anyone ever notice how the debate on gun control in the U.S. suddenly went silent after Hurricane Katrina wiped out New Orleans?

There's nothing more powerful than images of people left helpless and to fend for themselves when their government, including law enforcement, all but abandoned them. And this in a time when many people think guns aren't needed because we live in a civilized age wherein the government will always provide the security we need.

As for my personal stance on gun ownership: I own more guns than I need, but not as many as I want.  Smile
A government big enough to take away a constitutionally guaranteed right is a government big enough to take away any guaranteed right. A government big enough to give you everything you need is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

falstaff

Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:53 pm

Quoting RedFlyer (Reply 41):
I own more guns than I need, but not as many as I want.

Couldn't agree more!
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

Duff44

Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:07 pm

I have to admit, guns terrify the hell out of me. I wouldn't ever own one unless I felt I had to, and luckily in my area I don't.

And I have seen them up close, I have worked at Colt.

That said, I think the following is proper "control":
- Have the proper background checks, but develop a system where they can be processed quickly so law-abiding gun owner need not wait. Gun shows, shops, private sellers, and large retail (i.e. Wal-Mart) are all subject to the same rules for background checks.
- The same rules apply regardless of style of weapon, whether it be a single-shot rifle or sub-machine gun. Rules are the same from state-to-state (federally protected right... federally controlled rules)
- Aggressively track and stop the flow of illegal weapons coming into and moving within this country.
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

Rara

Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:57 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 33):
Only the lowest form of human scum supports gun control.

Nice job offending the vast majority of the world population, and a considerable minority in your own country. Noting that this insult was unprovoked, it shows that discussions with your kind are entirely futile IMO. Thankfully I can care less, but it does make me feel sorry for those poor sods who have to deal with you and yourlikes.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

Stealthz

Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:45 pm

OK My opinion only...
I have read the 2nd Amendment and Bill of Rights several times and like our constructionist friend in reply 19 said, I believe they wrote those words with the smoothbore flintlock and no regular standing army as the status quo.
I seriously doubt that they considered those few words to grant an inalienable right to everyone in the republic to carry concealed semi automatic weapons.
I will go further, I am positive that if they envisaged some of the weapons the good citizens of the USA now consider their birthright, they would have framed those documents differently.

Cheers

[Edited 2008-03-07 05:46:30]
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!....well that might have changed!!!

LHMark

Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:51 pm

My opinion: people can go ahead and own all the guns they want, provided they undergo comprehensive training in usage and storage of firearms. I also think licensed firearms owners should have to re-qualify periodically, maybe every 5 years or so, in those topics.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

baroque

Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:09 pm

Quoting RedFlyer (Reply 41):
Anyone ever notice how the debate on gun control in the U.S. suddenly went silent after Hurricane Katrina wiped out New Orleans?

I don't know about that correlation, but the tone of the most recent gun control threads is dramatically different from those of earlier years. I had not bothered to look, assuming I knew what they would be like. Surprise. A couple of years like this and who know what might happen. Already at least three major converts (either converts or expressing their opinions differently) who I would never have thought persuadable. Keep it going folk.

Not directly related, but I wonder if the most recent stats on US incarceration rates might have been a bit sobering too.

Molykote

Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:39 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 19):
I'm a strict constructionist, original intent kind of guy. Everyone should have the right to keep and bear arms of the type that existed in 1791 when the bill of rights was adopted, and no more than that. One muzzle loading smoothbore Flintlock musket. In addition, said owners must be able to prove their membership in a recognized well regulated militia as that term was understood in 1791.

any farther than that and you're taking the constitution in directions that were never intended. If the founders knew what we would do with it, the second amendment never would have stood a chance. We also settled the notion of state suicide in 1861-1865, that is, is it rational for a state to commit suicide by application of its own law?

My opinion (to stay on the declared "track" of this thread):

How was "the press" understood in the context of 1791?

If "the press" is now understood to include broadcast outlets like radio, television, and internet news sources, shouldn't similar allowances be made for technological advancement in the area of small arms? I don't expect an allowance for nuclear weapons and battleship artillery when I refer to "technological advancement", but what about .45 autos or 12ga autoloading shotguns (amongst many other more modern weapons).

I suppose the important question here is whether or not the press was intended (in 1791) to mean "commonly news media" or "(hand)pressed text". If the former, I see no reason to prohibit any weapon that is currently available for sale to the general public.

I'm not a legal expert (nor am I significantly educated in these matters). If questions such as the above have already been answered elsewhere (I'd imagine they have), I'd enjoy reading about it.
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

redflyer

Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:43 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 47):
Not directly related, but I wonder if the most recent stats on US incarceration rates might have been a bit sobering too.

Most incarcerations are drug-related (although I'll admit: drugs and guns often times go hand-in-hand). That is why there is also a big push to decriminalize most forms of drug use. The theory being we wouldn't waste so much in resources. I think the high incarceration rate also reflects Americans' attitudes towards the penal system, which is we tend to be more harsh and inflexible than the rest of the modern industrialized world.

But even if most incarcerations were gun related, I say bully. That's where people who are not responsible gun users belong. (I deliberately did not use the term "gun owners" because it is the rare LEGITIMATE gun owner that commits a crime with his/her gun.)
A government big enough to take away a constitutionally guaranteed right is a government big enough to take away any guaranteed right. A government big enough to give you everything you need is a government big enough to take away everything you have.