Someone with a grudge maybe??  scratchchin 

Lee

swiftski

RE: Explosion At Times Square, New York City

Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:24 am

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 1):
Someone with a grudge maybe??

Probably.

Know the area well; as I'm sure a few of us do. It's always weird when you can relate to where something is going on. Am looking at the exact area in this pic, I beleive.

CXfirst

Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:47 am

Thankfully it was in the early morning 03:45. Not too many people around.

-CXfirst

767Lover

Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:08 pm

Nice. Expressing anti-military sentiments by endangering people in the vicinity.

That makes a lot of sense.

CXfirst

Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:15 pm

I've never been to NY. How many people do you expect to find in areas such as Times Square at 03:45 am at this time of year? How many more in the middle of the day and in the high season?

-CXfirst

a380us

Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:23 pm

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 5):

I've never been to NY. How many people do you expect to find in areas such as Times Square at 03:45 am at this time of year? How many more in the middle of the day and in the high season?

Alot in the morning evven mre during the day.
Well in NYC alot of people go clubing so...
and thank god noone was hurt.

alberchico

Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:45 pm

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 4):
Nice. Expressing anti-military sentiments by endangering people in the vicinity

Not that many people at that hour. He did it with the intent to hurt no one so his punishment should reflect that.....

Dreadnought

Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:55 pm

Quoting Alberchico (Reply 7):
Not that many people at that hour. He did it with the intent to hurt no one so his punishment should reflect that.....

Life in prison instead of the Death Penalty. Got it.

Victims or no, it's still terrorism.

captaink

Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:01 pm

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 5):
How many people do you expect to find in areas such as Times Square at 03:45 am at this time of year? How many more in the middle of the day and in the high season?

At 3:45 Wednesday not that many, but it certainly wouldn't be without people. Had this occurred during the day, or even earlier in the night, It would have been quite busy and more people possibly would have gotten hurt.

fumanchewd

Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:02 pm

No. Because there was a possibility he could have killed someone, no matter his intent.

ME AVN FAN

Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:18 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 8):

-
You of course CAN classify this deed as "terrorism" while it in fact simply is normal crime. Whether he gets caught, how the authorities in charge classify it and what the punishment is to be, is NOT my problem.
-
The prosecution side of course will prefer the term which will result in a higher penalty, while the defence will try to get through a title which will result in a lesser penalty. So, it may become a highly interesting case for lawyers.

alberchico

Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:54 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 11):

Wouldn't this really be an act of protest rather than terrorism ???

PA110

Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:03 pm

Quoting Alberchico (Reply 12):

Use of an explosive devise is not a protest. It is terrorism. Plain and simple. Look, I'm about as liberal as they come, and I think whoever did this should get tossed away for a very long time. Hell, ship him to Gitmo!

These attacks on Marine recruiting offices are a disgrace. First we have the idiots in my backyard (city of Berkeley) and now this? No matter what you think of the war in Iraq or this administration (hate them both), the Marines and all branches of the armed services are here to defend the United States. The fact that they get used by this or any other administration for purposes that the public might not agree with, is not an excuse to make them a target of abuse and attacks. They have no choice where they are sent or what they are ordered to do.

lowrider

Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:07 pm

Wouldn't this really be an act of protest rather than terrorism
Do we need to make a distinction? Does the motive really make a difference? A person attempted to blow up a government facility. That is a deliberate act which shows little regard for the safety or well being of others. Saying it is a "protest" or an "act of civil disobedience" in no way lessens the severity. If it had taken place at midday, would you still be contemplating the difference?

[Edited 2008-03-06 10:09:19]

NeilYYZ

Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:16 pm

Life in prison instead of the Death Penalty. Got it.

That seems about right.

ME AVN FAN

Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:19 pm

-
this will be the argument of the defence-lawyer, but to me it IS crime. The exact definition is for law-experts anyway, but throwing detonating stuff around is crime, as far as I can see it. But of course, his defence lawyer will claim that it just was gross nonsense  Yeah sure

greggarious

Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:25 pm

Quoting PA110 (Reply 13):
Use of an explosive devise is not a protest. It is terrorism.

I'm going to disagree here. The target was an armed forces recruiting center in Times Square (which is on an island in between Broadway and 7th Ave., away from anything else save a small NYPD outpost). Terrorism itself is generally defined as an intent to intimidate or coerce the civilian population. Considering how the bomber targeted the only military (i.e. non-civilian) building in the area, I wouldn't go so far as to call it an act of terrorism. Remember when the USS Cole was bombed in Yemen? President Clinton called it an act of terrorism, when it really wasn't. This is kind of similar, albeit (fortunately) on a far smaller and less tragic scale. Basically, someone bombed a recruiting station, not the Times Square Sbarro pizzeria... not terrorism.

Find the perpetrator, and prosecute them. But I would say that a trip to Guantanamo is a little rash (kind of like any case where someone's thrown into Camp X-Ray, but that's for another thread... Christ, what an embarrassment that place is).

ME AVN FAN

Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:29 pm

It is terrorism. Plain and simple.

-
What you apparently regard as terrorism to me is simple normal crime. But ok, this is a matter of interpretation, but "plain and simple" it is not.
-

bwest

Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:37 pm

It's a crime, just like terrorism is one, and this was a crime that could've killed people who were unlucky enough to be in the area. The perpetrator should be severely punished. Even if you do not agree with the government, or the army, or whatever, this certainly is not the way to show your discontent.

alberchico

Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:47 pm

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 14):
If it had taken place at midday, would you still be contemplating the difference?

The fact that it didn't blow up at midday means that there was no intention to harm anybody. The guy who did it should be punished, but all I'm saying is that because he was considerate enough to plan it an an hour where nobody would get hurt, he should get a light sentence.....

A person attempted to blow up a government facility

I don't think a small recruiting office counts as a goverment facility....

bwest

Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:51 pm

Quoting Alberchico (Reply 20):
he was considerate enough to plan it an an hour where nobody would get hurt, he should get a light sentence.....

In the city that never sleeps, you'll be hard pressed to find an hour where there's absolutely no risk at anybody getting hurt.

NeilYYZ

Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:53 pm

The fact that it didn't blow up at midday means that there was no intention to harm anybody.

In New York City? I don't think so. I think he did it then because there was less of a chance of people seeing him.

If the US Government owns it, then it's a government facility. That sure looks like a government facility to me.

Newark777

Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:57 pm

Well, it's some kind of facility, performing a government function...

The fact that it didn't blow up at midday means that there was no intention to harm anybody. The guy who did it should be punished, but all I'm saying is that because he was considerate enough to plan it an an hour where nobody would get hurt, he should get a light sentence.....

There's always people in Times Square, though, and setting a bomb off in one of the busiest areas in NYC is putting people in danger. It may be a mitigating factor in his trial, though.

lowrider

Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:03 pm

don't think a small recruiting office counts as a goverment facility....

Who owns and operates it? What is the US military an agent of?

A considerate bomber? Really? Please tell me there was some sarcasm I missed there. If you really think that is any sort of defense or mitigating factor, our society is heading down hill faster than I feared.

Kay

Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:13 pm

Quoting Swiftski (Reply 2):
Know the area well; as I'm sure a few of us do. It's always weird when you can relate to where something is going on.

For a change, you mean Big grin as opposed to 99% of a.netters making envolved comments without knowing where on the map the event is.

Totally agree, this is how it starts, and what matters is that there is someone somewhere working in an opeating room preparing bombs. Not a good thing to have, God knows what his serious agenda is, and if caught should be seriously punished (although, I admit, had he killed 5 people then the maximum sentences can be called).

Kay

Blackbird

Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:28 am

I wonder if the government orchestrated this. Keep in mind, it can be used to make anti-war activists all look like terrorists, and it happened at a time of day when no harm would have occured.

Now if this was caused by a person who did this as some kind of anti-war gesture, I do think due to the violent nature of the act he should be prosecuted and punished as such.

Andrea Kent

Newark777

Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:34 am

Quoting Blackbird (Reply 26):
I wonder if the government orchestrated this. Keep in mind, it can be used to make anti-war activists all look like terrorists, and it happened at a time of day when no harm would have occured.

Probably the same CIA operative who orchestrated 9/11.

Dreadnought

Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:36 am

I wonder if the government orchestrated this.

crazy 

ANCFlyer

Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:39 am

rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl 

I only logged back into this thread because I knew this is what you'd say . . .

What would the desired result be of the Government orchestrating this "bombing"? It boggles my mind to this that someone - you - actually think the gov't would do this.

Nope. Terrorism. Protestors don't generally blow things up. Peaceful they may not be, but blowing stuff up escalates it to entirely different level.

Yes, it does.

NeilYYZ

Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:54 am

Tinfoil hat time!

Charles79

Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:58 am

Er...does it matter if it's labeled as terrorism or not? What I find interesting is that it is similar to other past explosions outside of embassies (Mexico and UK if I'm not mistaken), plus the perpetrators sent letters to Congress hours after the attack. Sounds to me like what they call "domestic terrorism". So far all 3 explosions took place around 3 AM, so it's obvious that they want to make a bloodless statement. Why not just hang a banner instead is beyond me.

They are criminals and should be prosecuted. If they are doing it as a form of protest, I doubt they'll attract much credibility to their cause once caught. Stupid if you ask me.

Charles

N1120A

Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:02 am

Um, whatever happened to the common law crimes?

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 10):

No. Because there was a possibility he could have killed someone, no matter his intent.

If they had actually killed someone, then malice would have been the only factor really needed. Since they didn't, you don't get that far.

Mike89406

Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:17 am

A person attempted to blow up a government facility

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 22):
If the US Government owns it, then it's a government facility. That sure looks like a government facility to me.

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 23):
Well, it's some kind of facility, performing a government function...

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 24):

Who owns and operates it? What is the US military an agent of?

All recruiting offices are owned by the Army Corps of Engineers regardless of the service that uses them. They fix them up or utilize them for recruiting and they hire contract workers to fix them up and clean them etc... etc...

I'm not sure if they buy up property lease it, or how they acquire the property spaces, however if any crime was commited on this building regardless of severity would be considered a federal crime.

All branches of the military except the Coast Guard fall under the Department of Defense for those who didnt know, however I assume that the Coast Guard works for the Dept of Homeland Security even in time of war now.

[Edited 2008-03-06 19:27:06]

N1120A

Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:36 am

Quoting Mike89406 (Reply 33):

All branches of the military except the Coast Guard fall under the Department of Defense for those who didnt know, however I assume that the Coast Guard works for the Dept of Homeland Security even in time of war now.

At time of war, the Coast Guard's military operations fall under the Navy.

Mike89406

Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:39 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 34):
At time of war, the Coast Guard's military operations fall under the Navy.

Thanks for clearing that up. I know thats how the Coast Guard was before the Dept of Homeland Security was established.

Mir

Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:30 am

all I'm saying is that because he was considerate enough to plan it an an hour where nobody would get hurt, he should get a light sentence.....

LightER sentence. He should still be going away for a long time.

-Mir

plateman

Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:20 am

I just got back from NYC about an hour ago and passed through Times Square. It is so true how everyone was walking around like nothing happened. Nothing deters New Yorkers, no one intimidates us. And I say this a good thing.

Sure there were news cameras everywhere, sure there were about 20 cops standing outside the recruiting station, sure the window was now a piece of metal, but Times Square was still loud and busy like normal. I <3 NY.

Brian

ME AVN FAN

Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:38 am

a small recruiting office counts as a goverment facility....

it Is a "government facility" and a particularily ugly one, in contrast to the building in the background. It now possibly has become even uglier.
-

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 29):
Protestors don't generally blow things up. Peaceful they may not be, but blowing stuff up escalates it to entirely different level.

-
Doing such things using explosives is serious crime. It is putting human lifes in lethal danger. To use the expression "terrorism" for this crime is making inflationary use of the term. What the exact terms used by the prosecution on one side and the defence on the other side will be, remains to be seen.
-

Quoting Mir (Reply 36):
LightER sentence. He should still be going away for a long time.

-
Has he/she already been caught ? Such people to be caught and brought to court is the main thing. The actual punishment is another matter. I often hear people declaring "this culprit should be ........this .... and .... that" but not realising that the main problem for the policemen usually is A) to get hold of the person(s) and B) to prove the deed in a watertight manner

AsstChiefMark

Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:23 pm

Hey guys. Do you suppose this was a "dry run" for something bigger next time (bigger bomb, dirty bomb, etc.)?

a380us

Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:44 pm

Use of an explosive devise is not a protest. It is terrorism. Plain and simple.

Not really because if you want to prove a point it can be protest but radically it can be terrorism.

fumanchewd

Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:53 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 32):

If they had actually killed someone, then malice would have been the only factor really needed. Since they didn't, you don't get that far.

The comment was in reference to the statement that they should be punished only as demonstrators. There needs to be more than that because there was a possiblity that someone could get hurt. When someone is arrested with crack-cocaine in their possession they are going to have a bigger penalty if it is in a large quantity and in multiple baggies. The assumption is that they will sell it and possibly hurt people even though it is only circumstantial.

The possibility of hurting someone is what always makes sentences greater. If someone actually gets hurt, of course the sentence will be even greater, but to state that they should be sentenced as picketing protestors is ridiculous.