Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

runway23
Topic Author

Do Cops Eat For Free At Hotels?

Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:31 pm

I often see a lot of cops eating breakfast at various hotels where I stay. They always park their car in front and come in dressed in uniform.

It seems they talk quite a bit with the staff then get their meal. I have never seen them pay (except give a tip). Are hotels being generous and thanking the force for their help? Is this common across the US?

I've never understood why whilst there are cops at these hotels the assortment of donuts is not broadened.

[Edited 2008-03-06 06:34:46]

airfoilsguy

RE: Do Cops Eat For Free At Hotels?

Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:55 pm

Cops eat for free in a lot of places. It is frowned on but not really enforced.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

HickoryShampoo

Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:56 pm

There are a handful of free places around here, but not many and most ain't great. Alot of places are half-price, but many are not. I pick based on what sounds good, not on discounts offered. While I'd absolutely never ask for a discount, I don't turn them down. I'll always leave a sizable tip in return, often equal to the amount discounted. On the other side of the coin, I've never been asked by a manager/owner/whatever for anything shady in return. Most just appreciate the presence, as folks tend to feel safe when there's a cop car parked outside.
This place is cashed, so I'm out. Someone PM me when A.net comes back.

ANCFlyer

Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:05 pm

Occasionally we get comped, but not usually . . . when I get comped I leave a healthy tip for the server . . .

Usually, we get a discount of some sort. I don't mind that, firemen, military, cops, old people, the usual folks that get discounts.

I eat rather often at the Copper Center Lodge about 15 miles south of here. Good Home Cooked chow, plenty of it, decent service, family owned - and get 10% off every time. I also eat at the Princess Lodge - across the street - occasionally. Never get a discount, service is on par with any 3 star joint, mass produced chow. I go to the Copper because the food is good, service is better and I know the owners/employees - not for the discount. I go to the Princess to show the flag, not because the food is mediocre, service is fine and I know no one.

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 1):
It is frowned on but not really enforced.

Frowned on by whom?
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

HickoryShampoo

Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:12 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 3):
Frowned on by whom?

In the Academy, we had a lieutenant talk to us about the ethics of accepting free drinks at gas stations or discounts on meals. He was later brought before a Grand Jury for falsifying a government document.  Silly

BTW, my current FNG put in his application at both our department and Alaska State Troopers. We got him only because AST didn't call and offer the job in time.

Fiatstilojtd

Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:16 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 3):
I don't mind that, firemen, military, cops, old people, the usual folks that get discounts.

Don't you receive a triple discount because you already match 3 of them ?  duck 

ANCFlyer

Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:17 pm

Quoting HickoryShampoo (Reply 4):
In the Academy, we had a lieutenant talk to us about the ethics of accepting free drinks at gas stations or discounts on meals.

Yeah, got the same thing. . . that's why I leave a decent tip . . . usually as much as the meal would be . . .

Was on a cruise ship working with US Customs back in the day - the Maxim Gorky in fact - anchored at Sitka. We set up shop in the forward lounge. The Captain had food and drinks brought up for us. Said it was "on the house". We set up a bowl and poured large quantities of US dollars into it. We certainly didn't want any rumblings of taking things for free to get back to us . . .

We found lots of drugs on that ship . . . mostly in crew quarters. I have a great video . . . and I lost a damn good flashlight too bouncing across the bay with the Coast Guard . . . popped right off my duty gear and sank.  silly 

We got him only because AST didn't call and offer the job in time.

Congrats . . . who pays more, us or you?
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

HickoryShampoo

Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:28 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 6):
Congrats . . . who pays more, us or you?

Yeesh...just looked at the AST recruiting site. Recruits get paid more than a 5-year vet here. There's a sign-on bonus ($12K at the moment (stupid Dallas PD)), but still...

ANCFlyer

Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:32 pm

Quoting Fiatstilojtd (Reply 5):
Don't you receive a triple discount because you already match 3 of them ?  duck 

Hey, by God you're right!!!

I should be getting 30% off!!!!  grumpy 

wink 

Quoting HickoryShampoo (Reply 7):
Recruits get paid more than a 5-year vet here.

Cost of living much higher here too . . . especially in remote locations. Already paying $4/G for diesel here in Glennallen for example . . . much higher in places like Bethel, Dillingham, etc.

AirCop

Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:40 pm

In the Academy, we had a lieutenant talk to us about the ethics of accepting free drinks at gas stations or discounts on meals. He was later brought before a Grand Jury for falsifying a government document.

Isn't it amazing who the departments get to talk about ethics?

In my last duty station there was no way I would take a half price meal, since we were get paid 3x what the locals were getting paid.

If you can't make $100,000 a year as a CHP officer with a couple of years experience with all the additional paid benefits you aren't trying. (1/2 hour OT a day for lunch, 4 hours min OT for court, 5% for a BA degree, physical fitness pay, etc)

Edit: The worst ones that I saw were the Los Angeles Police Department; normally no way they would pay for a meal, if you needed a police officer go to the nearest Lucy's (a mexican dive) or Wichell's. Of course its been a 20 years or so since I worked Los Angeles so things might have changed.

[Edited 2008-03-06 08:44:34]

Confuscius

Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:13 pm

Speaking of police and food...

Burglars Done In By Doughnuts
Oregon Officers Solve Store Burglary After Being Offered Doughnuts

(AP) When two guys in cowboy garb offered the sheriff's deputies doughnuts, and then the deputies investigated a burglary involving doughnuts and the prints of cowboy boots, it didn't take Sherlock Holmes to crack the case.

Sheriff's deputies reported they found Hancock and his cousin, Vincent Whitely, 19, in Roseburg on Jan. 11, and the pair offered the officers doughnuts, which they declined.  Wow!

Shortly afterward, the officers investigated a burglary at a store from which cigarettes, candy, chewing gum and the telltale doughnuts were missing. And there were boot prints.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/03/05/ap/strange/main3912632.shtml
Ain't I a stinker?

plateman

Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:19 pm

Lots of businesses don't charge as others have said.

On one of my ride-alongs with the Metropolitan Police of Washington (DC) we went to a local Chinese place. My cop ordered a full entree and they didn't charge. I got food too and they didn't even charge me!

Brian
"Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

NeilYYZ

Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:20 pm

I know the owner of the Micky D's near my place give the police free food, so does the Tim Horton's. It makes good business sense to me, the police are around more often and it's pretty noticeable so I figure there is less of a chance of them getting robbed.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

HickoryShampoo

Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:24 pm

Chili's just comped my meal. Last time I went to that particular location, it was full price and I fully expected to pay full price this time. So I tipped the waitress well and took the receipt with the link to leave a comment about my visit.

bwest

Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:43 pm

We usually get a free coffee at the gas stations. There's also a burger place where, no matter how much you ordered, you always had to pay 5 euro's  Smile But apart from that, it's normal prices everywhere. It's also supposed to be "ethically not correct" to accept stuff like that. At least that's what the ministry of the interior told us in the "ethical code for the police" guide they were so kind to waste money on to have it printed for every cop...

HickoryShampoo

Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:06 pm

I would argue that it is only unethical if the provider of the discount/free meal were receiving some sort of preferential treatment in return.

bwest

Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:14 pm

Quoting HickoryShampoo (Reply 15):
I would argue that it is only unethical if the provider of the discount/free meal were receiving some sort of preferential treatment in return.

True

Well, the guys at the 5 euro joint didn't get any preferential treatment. I remember going there one day, and the guy behind the counter looked a bit upset. Asked what was wrong, apparently my colleagues just arrested his colleague, for working there illegally... we still got our 5 euro meal though Big grin

Pope

Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:19 pm

Personally I don't see anything wrong with cops getting comp'ed. The business gets a very tangible benefit by having lots of law enforcement officers hanging around there. As long as the officers are on a break and are free to eat where ever they want, why no allow them to go where they are appreciated.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

ScarletHarlot

Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:46 pm

A good friend who is a cop told me that the cops tend to stick to proven "safe" restaurants, because at some unknown ones, they have had bodily fluids and other gross stuff end up in their meals.

I think it's a nice gesture to discount a public service officer's meal.
But that was when I ruled the world

greasespot

Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:11 am

I pay for coffee...mostly casue the places that serve good coffee do not comp it...

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 18):
A good friend who is a cop told me that the cops tend to stick to proven "safe" restaurants, because at some unknown ones, they have had bodily fluids and other gross stuff end up in their meals.

Yup...My zone is in a heavy gang zone(shut up 'poo we do have street gangs here in Canada) so i avoid those places...Plus i like to see my food prepared infront of me so I do not get a spitter.....Plus the minute i charge a guy who works for one of the local restraunts for impaired driving I stop going......

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

JAGflyer

Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:13 am

I cannot speak for co-ops but when I travel with my friend who is a paramedic student (and he is wearing his jacket which indicates that) a lot of TTC collectors wave him through, without need to pay. With the exception of "student" the jacket looks pretty much like what Toronto or York Region EMS wears.
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

HickoryShampoo

Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:28 am

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 19):
(shut up 'poo we do have street gangs here in Canada)

Yeah. The Frostybritches Crips always be trippin'.

N1120A

Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:43 am

Jack In The Box is pretty well known for letting cops eat free. I remember attending a small seminar with former Mr. Olympia Ronnie Coleman, who was an active duty police officer while also one of the top bodybuilders in the world, and him going on about how often he visited in the off-season as a way of bulking up.

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 1):
It is frowned on but not really enforced.

I don't think it is frowned on at all.

In the Academy, we had a lieutenant talk to us about the ethics of accepting free drinks at gas stations or discounts on meals. He was later brought before a Grand Jury for falsifying a government document.

Now that is funny.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 8):

Cost of living much higher here too . . .

Well, you do get the dividend.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

bablackpilot

Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:50 am

Well at the Alameda County Sheriffs Department it's really, really frowned up on. In fact we have to watch a video that explains to us that if anyone in the Department is found to have taken free anything from anyone in the public we will be fired, No questions asked.
The Sheriff considers it a bribe and a kickback and he doesn't want any of his deputies to be know for taking bribes and kickbacks from anyone.
There have been some that have be fired over this policy. Even those of us that work the volunteer services like myself are required to watch the video and sign a contract that states that we will not take a bribe or kickback from anyone at all for any reason.
My arrogance is only an issue between you and your self-esteem!"

cpd

Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:13 am

Quoting HickoryShampoo (Reply 15):

It is still unethical.

Ethical conduct isn't just about doing the right thing, but also about being seen to be doing the right thing.

By accepting a gift or preferential treatment, it leaves the public officer in an unacceptable position where he/she may feel obligated to give some sort a favour in return, or be open to blackmail.

Lunch, up to a small and modest limit where it is clearly part of the proceedings of work (eg, lunch such as sandwiches provided during a working meeting, etc) would be okay to accept - but not an expensive restaurant meal with alcoholic beverages and similar. Similarly, a gift of substantial value should either be rejected, returned (if it was sent), donated to charity (and noted for the records) - or where it is not acceptable to donate to charity (such as wine and other alcoholic beverages), it should be destroyed.

Such things should always be reported to a senior officer.

Where I work, these are the sorts of ethics we follow, and although we aren't a police department, and we are not even USA - ethical conduct remain the same, regardless of the country, and regardless of what form of public office it may be.

Quoting Bwest (Reply 14):
We usually get a free coffee at the gas stations. There's also a burger place where, no matter how much you ordered, you always had to pay 5 euro's Smile But apart from that, it's normal prices everywhere. It's also supposed to be "ethically not correct" to accept stuff like that. At least that's what the ministry of the interior told us in the "ethical code for the police" guide they were so kind to waste money on to have it printed for every cop...

See above - it's probably the same sort of ethical conduct lecture you received I suppose.  Wink

[Edited 2008-03-08 01:16:33]

HickoryShampoo

Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:28 am

Quoting Cpd (Reply 24):
By accepting a gift or preferential treatment, it leaves the public officer in an unacceptable position where he/she may feel obligated to give some sort a favour in return, or be open to blackmail.

I understand your point, I'd counter that if one receives a 50-cent soft drink from the fountain, yet shows no preference when the occasion arises, the argument of ethical/unethical is settled in favor of the former. For lack of a better term, that's how I justify accepting discounts.

CaptOveur

Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:17 am

In the Academy, we had a lieutenant talk to us about the ethics of accepting free drinks at gas stations or discounts on meals.

Our General Orders pretty much say if they give it to you for free- great. However, if you are asking for a free meal 1. you are a dick 2. start looking for a new job.

popped right off my duty gear and sank.

http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PartNumber=BI-7311S
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

melpax

Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:26 am

Quoting Cpd (Reply 24):

Same where I work, any hint of having recieved a free meal or the like action would be taken under our code of conduct & might also possibly face criminal charges. I'm not a cop, but I'm a public servant, working for an agency that has an 'enforcement' role. A coffee shop located close to our office used to give us discounts if they saw us wearing our building passes but our internal fraud section soon sorted that out.............

The public here frowns upon cops getting free meals at McDonalds & the like as they are reasonably well paid.

[Edited 2008-03-09 01:27:54]

ANCFlyer

Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:25 pm

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 26):
popped right off my duty gear and sank.

http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail....7311S

I have that for my Surefire . . .

I lost one of these:

http://www.maglite.com/dcell.asp

CaptOveur

Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:47 am

Holy crap someone still carries the aluminum baseball bat?

DC10extender

Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:15 am

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 29):

I hate those. I use a stinger. The old maglites are too bulking and annoying as hell to carry.
Did you ever read on your birth certificate that life is fair? Thats cause its not there.

ANCFlyer

Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:25 pm

Quoting DC10extender (Reply 30):

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 29):

I hate those. I use a stinger. The old maglites are too bulking and annoying as hell to carry.

DOn't carry it now, I have my Sure Fire, twelve years ago I carried it, and lost as mentioned above.

I have a MagLite in the Squad though, plugged in to the charger . . .

Never know when I'll pull LOT737457098274ER to the side of the road and need a - peacemaker . . .

CaptOveur

Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:34 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 31):
Never know when I'll pull LOT737457098274ER to the side of the road and need a - peacemaker . . .

The plastic Streamlight baseball bats are far better for cracking skulls.. they kind of get this bouncy slap action going.. and they don't distort so you can't get the tailcap off like the Maglites.

Boston92

Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:10 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 22):
Jack In The Box is pretty well known for letting cops eat free.

There is a Carls Jr up where I live that has cops there at least 50% of the time. It either is just the 'place to go' for them or they are getting some kinda deal.

HickoryShampoo

Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:34 pm

Quoting DC10extender (Reply 30):
I use a stinger. The old maglites are too bulking and annoying as hell to carry.

Before I went day shift, I used my UltraStinger for 6 years. I bought a conical end cap called "The Motivator" that worked well for...erm..."motivating" those who were uncooperative.  Silly Right before I left nights, the wife gave me the new Pelican LED light. That fecker is BRIGHT. Still have yet to find a suitable carrying solution, though. It fell out of my old ring and something inside quit working. Sent it off and she came back working like new with no hassle from Pelican.  thumbsup 

ANCFlyer

Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:55 pm

Quoting HickoryShampoo (Reply 34):
Pelican LED light.

How do those LEDs stand up? Durable? Replacement cost for the bulbs? I looked at one, but kept the Sure Fire. It's "Uniform/Equipment Replacement" time again - we have an individual account at Galls the Dept pays into once a year - and I looked at the LED light. Didn't get it because I'm not sure about: Durable? Replacement cost for the bulbs?

CaptOveur

Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:51 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 35):
How do those LEDs stand up?

I have an LED stinger that I carry now. It's pretty tough, the bulb doesn't break when you drop it and the battery life is pretty unreal. Also, the light is slightly more blue which seems to have a better blinding effect. The lamps are supposed to run for years without replacement.

It appears the lamp module is only $11
http://www.bluelaketackle.com/stream...sl20xpled-lamp-module-p-23453.html

However, due to my distrust of anything rechargeable I still carry a Sure-Fire 6p as well.

ANCFlyer

Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:00 pm

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 36):

Wonder how the LED would perform at -40F?

I have LEDs on my POV and when it gets cold they don't like it.

HickoryShampoo

Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:46 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 35):
How do those LEDs stand up? Durable? Replacement cost for the bulbs?

It dropped from my belt when I was getting out of a car and didn't work, which is why I sent it in. The warranty rep said this was unusual, so she didn't think it was the bulb. No explaination of the problem when it came back, though, so I may never know. I've since dropped it a few more times (butterfingers) with no ill effect.

I cannot stress enough the word BRIGHT. I would compare it to a single element of the current, standard lightbars. The only handheld flashlight I've seen in action that is brighter is a $350 HID unit. THAT thing was obnoxious!

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 37):

I have LEDs on my POV and when it gets cold they don't like it.

Is there anything (that's not furry) that does enjoy -40F? I really have no clue and have no way of testing. Maybe I could try tucking it under the wife's ass while she's asleep? That'll get it into the -20s. Will advise...

CaptOveur

Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:09 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 37):

I doubt anyone has ever tested for that. I think anything battery operated is going to have a hard time at those temps. As for the lamp itself does your patrol unit have an LED light bar? I would say if those LEDs work the ones in the light probably will too.

Quoting HickoryShampoo (Reply 38):
I cannot stress enough the word BRIGHT.

The strobe feature is really good for blinding people as well.