Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

runway23
Topic Author

Zero/Free Drinks - Marketing Gimmick Or True?

Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:39 pm

It appears everybody and their dog now sells either a "Zero" drink or "Free" (unfortunately still costing money) drink.

The whole premise is that they do not contain Calories. Is this really possible? If so what is different in the way these drinks are made to totally eliminate calories? Is there a potential risk that these drinks are just as unhealthy or more unhealthy than the normal drinks?

It would also seem that this could be no more than a clever marketing gimmick administered with the hope that people believe that they can drink more soda due to it have the appearance of being "healthy".

I have tried two up to now:

Sierra Mist Free- tasted pretty much the same as the normal one.
Nestea Zero - I bought this by mistake and it tastes like piss. Really not comparable to the normal drink.

[Edited 2008-03-06 06:41:13]

oly720man

RE: Zero/Free Drinks - Marketing Gimmick Or True?

Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:55 pm

All about artifical sweeteners approved by the FDA

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2006/406_sweeteners.html

In essence these are a lot sweeter than sugar and so can be used in much smaller quantities or the body doesn't digest them, hence zero calories (or probably less than can be measured sensibly)
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

nighthawk

Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:06 pm

I can confirm that Coke Zero does indeed have no taste, so its not just a marketing gimic!

metroliner

Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:16 pm

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 2):
Coke Zero does indeed have no taste

What about that distinctly metallic tinge? It's pretty weird... and the inevitable resulting sore throat and aspartame hangover!

:S

Toni
Set the controls for the heart of the Sun

ANCFlyer

Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:20 pm

Diet Rite Cola and Tangerine . . . I keep those all the time. I think they taste fine, and the big deal for me is (supposedly) no sodium. Even Diet 7-Up has sodium. I'm trying to watch my sodium intake - along with other things - and these appear to be the real deal. Diet Rite cola has been around for a long time . . . way before the other marketing gimmik soda/water products.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

IFEMaster

Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:29 pm

Quoting Oly720man (Reply 1):
All about artifical sweeteners approved by the FDA

It's worrying that most are FDA approved, considering some of the chemicals involved in artificial sweeteners. Splenda is a classic example. Touted as being "made from sugar to taste like sugar", they don't tell you that it is 2 parts chlorine to ever part of sugar.

Frankly, I don't want to be ingesting chlorine, especially since a teaspoon of sugar is only around 16 calories.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

N1120A

Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:51 am

Quoting Runway23 (Thread starter):

The whole premise is that they do not contain Calories. Is this really possible?

If so what is different in the way these drinks are made to totally eliminate calories?

Basically, they contain substances that are significantly sweeter than sugar. As such, they only have to use very small amounts in the product, making the caloric content negligible. In the case of aspartame, less than 1/4th of a gram is put into a beverage. As such, since proteins have approximately 4.32 Kcal/g, you get less than 1 Kcal per serving.

Is there a potential risk that these drinks are just as unhealthy or more unhealthy than the normal drinks?

That all depends. There are several areas in which critics have touted diet drinks as "unhealthy". One is that the sweeteners are indeed created by people as opposed to being strictly natural, but so are most sugars used in soft drink production. In reality, aspartame is a mere combination of 2 amino acids that happen to have a very sweet taste, so you aren't exactly at risk there. Splenda/Sucralose does involve a more artificial process, but is also naturally based and is consumed in very small quantities. There are no studies that can clearly state that either sucralose or aspartame is harmful and even the saccharin studies were discredited.

The second way they are considered "unhealthy" is that the sweet taste may make you crave other sweets more and lead to higher calories consumption. That is more a choice than a set rule, however.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 4):
I think they taste fine, and the big deal for me is (supposedly) no sodium. Even Diet 7-Up has sodium.

The sodium in pretty much all soft drinks, is negligible.

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 5):
Splenda is a classic example. Touted as being "made from sugar to taste like sugar", they don't tell you that it is 2 parts chlorine to ever part of sugar.

Ever eat table salt? Plenty of chloride ion in there too.

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 5):

Frankly, I don't want to be ingesting chlorine, especially since a teaspoon of sugar is only around 16 calories.

The issue is that soda generally hold a lot more than one teaspoon of sugar.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

JAGflyer

Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:11 am

I have yet to try a diet/zero/free drink that actually tasted good. I hate the taste of aspartame. Lucky for me I am not in the category of people who need to diet. In fact, I could probably go for the increased sugar/calorie version of anything I drink. Big grin
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

BAViscount

Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:16 am

What I'd like to know is...what exactly is the difference between Diet Coke, and Coke Zero...
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barbados

aa61hvy

Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:17 am

can confirm that Coke Zero does indeed have no taste, so its not just a marketing gimic!

You guys are crazy, I think Coke Zero tastes exactly like normal Coke. Granted I haven't had a normal Coke in like 10 years, but it all taste the same to me..
Go big or go home

MD-90

Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:16 am

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 9):
You guys are crazy, I think Coke Zero tastes exactly like normal Coke. Granted I haven't had a normal Coke in like 10 years, but it all taste the same to me..

I don't think it's exactly the same, but it's pretty damn close. Especially from the fountain.

I think Diet Sun Drop is the best, but that's only available in the South. Diet Dr. Pepper and Sprite Zero taste very close to the originals. Diet Mt. Dew isn't bad but it seems watered down when compared to regular Mt. Dew. I like Diet Sunkist but it's an acquired taste. First time I had it I thought it was disgusting. Strangely enough I don't care for Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi.

Yes, I drink too much diet soda.

Newark777

Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:21 am

I can't stand Diet Coke, tastes much worse than the real thing to me. Of course, my theory is that if I wanted to drink something healthy, I wouldn't be drinking soda at all, so I always go for the original. No diet drinks for me.
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

ltbewr

Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:24 am

Diet Coke (or Coke Light outside of North America) has a slightly lighter taste than regular Coke. Coke Zero is closer to real sweetened Coke in taste, but still a 'diet' from and with caffieen.
Of course, real Coke has sugar as a sweetner, not corn based sweetners as in the NA version.

NeilYYZ

Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:24 am

Quoting Metroliner (Reply 3):
What about that distinctly metallic tinge?

No kidding. I like the Diet drinks, and in some cases think they're better than the regulars, but the Zero calories are painfully tasteless in my mind.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

N1120A

Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:47 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 12):
Diet Coke (or Coke Light outside of North America)

Diet Coke and Coke Light use different formulas. Further, Diet Coke is sold in the UK.

has a slightly lighter taste than regular Coke.

Actually, the taste isn't lighter, rather softer.

but still a 'diet' from and with caffieen.

Caffeine

Coke Zero is closer to real sweetened Coke in taste,

It is an identical formula

You guys are crazy, I think Coke Zero tastes exactly like normal Coke

It is very close.

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 8):
What I'd like to know is...what exactly is the difference between Diet Coke, and Coke Zero...

Coke Zero uses the original Coca-Cola formula with non-nutritive sweeteners replacing the sugar. Diet Coke uses its own formula that was developed to be softer than the original, and was also used for New Coke.

UH60FtRucker

Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:51 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 14):

Are you really correcting him on how he should interpret his own sense of taste!?! If the guy thinks it tastes lighter, than who the hell are you to tell him he's wrong? Jerk.

Caffeine

And no need to correct the guy's spelling. It was a simple error.

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

jush

Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:10 am

Only fat people drink diet or zero products as they induce hunger.

Regds
jush
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

metroliner

Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:23 am

Quoting Jush (Reply 16):

By that logic, you could say alcoholics eat peanuts because they stimulate thirst!

Wink

Toni
Set the controls for the heart of the Sun

NeilYYZ

Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:25 am

What's the frackin' difference? Don't answer though, I don't care.

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 15):
Are you really correcting him on how he should interpret his own sense of taste!?!

Sure seems like it to me.

Quoting Jush (Reply 16):

Really? Oh crap, I must be fat, because I drink tons of Diet Pepsi. I happen to think that Diet Pepsi tastes better than regular Pepsi, although if you think 5' 11" 180ish is fat then you might have a point.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

ZakHH

Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:42 am

Different marketing approach. Coke found out that Diet Coke (Coke Light in some countries) had become more and more a womens' product over the years, so they had difficulties placing it with the target group of male diet product consumers.

Hence, they introduced Coke Zero, which is more or less the same product, but the marketing is targeting mainly male consumers.

Compare the (German) commercials for Diet Coke (Coke Light):

And for Coke Zero:

(Tim meets his ex with her new bf. She asks how he's doing. Then "Coke Zero presents: Life as it should be", horny chick appears and asks Tim "Whipped cream or chocolate sauce?". Tim tells his ex "You know me, I get along"... the rest needs no translation.)
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

JoshSixtySeven

Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:12 am

A new Rolls-Royce, the golf club membership, the private jet, the pretty girls and getting the CEO's teeth whitened. Duh.
Speed has never killed anyone, it's suddenly becoming stationary that gets you...

jush

Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:03 pm

Quoting ZakHH (Reply 19):

Yap, as Diet coke in Germany is named Model Coke it's mainly for the girls. Coke Zero is a light product for the MAN  Wink

At least that's what coca cola is trying to transfer.

Regds
jush
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

bwest

Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:06 pm

Pepsi Max still beats Diet, Light & Zero coke when it comes to taste...  snaggletooth 

IFEMaster

Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:51 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 6):
Ever eat table salt? Plenty of chloride ion in there too.

Of course (although I tend to opt for sea salt whenever I can), but it's concentration that is the concern. Don't forget that chlorine is poisonous. The amount of chlorine used in Splenda is quite worrying, not to mention other chemicals used in artificial sweeteners. The biggest difference of course is the level of oxidation of the CI in it's different states. In regular salt, the oxidation level is -1. In Splenda, it's +5. Big difference between the two in terms of negative effects upon the human body. +5, by the way, is the same oxidation level as found in other items like matches, fireworks, explosives, industrial disinfectants, chloric acid etc. I wouldn't ingest any of those things in a hurry either.

N1120A

Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:11 pm

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 18):

What's the frackin' difference?

I was merely noting Coke's intent with the drink.

MCOflyer

Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:30 pm

I can confirm that Coke Zero does indeed have no taste, so its not just a marketing gimic!

So can I.

I drink Diet Coke, Coke Zero, Sprite Zero, and whatever zero calories. It all is better for meaning I can eat more salads.

Kinghunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

waterpolodan

Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:33 pm

Quoting Jush (Reply 16):

+5 points to you for today's best completely baseless generalization! I drink these, and I'm about as far from fat as one can be...

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 23):
Of course (although I tend to opt for sea salt whenever I can), but it's concentration that is the concern. Don't forget that chlorine is poisonous. The amount of chlorine used in Splenda is quite worrying, not to mention other chemicals used in artificial sweeteners. The biggest difference of course is the level of oxidation of the CI in it's different states. In regular salt, the oxidation level is -1. In Splenda, it's +5. Big difference between the two in terms of negative effects upon the human body. +5, by the way, is the same oxidation level as found in other items like matches, fireworks, explosives, industrial disinfectants, chloric acid etc. I wouldn't ingest any of those things in a hurry either.

I don't know much about the chemistry of these things, but in my lifetime I've ingested probably over a hundred gallons of chlorinated pool water and I've had no long term health effects that I know of... is the chlorine in splenda really so much more dangerous?

IFEMaster

Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:45 pm

Quoting Waterpolodan (Reply 26):
I don't know much about the chemistry of these things, but in my lifetime I've ingested probably over a hundred gallons of chlorinated pool water and I've had no long term health effects that I know of... is the chlorine in splenda really so much more dangerous?

Well, again, concentration and oxidization level are factors here. Pool chlorine is typically oxidized at 0. A big jump from 0 to +5. It's also diluted, so the amount you ingest is greatly reduced.

My point here really is that no long term study has been done on the effects of continued ingestion of highly oxidized chlorates, even in small doses. Knowing that this is the same stuff that is used in chemicals that wouldn't go near anything I'm eating, I prefer to err on the side of caution. I just don't see how using a +5 CIO3 in a foodstuff can be at all healthy.

9V-SPF

Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:39 pm

Quoting Jush (Reply 16):

Ignorant generalization. I´m consuming plenty of diet coke/coke zero almost every day...don´t think I´m fat with something like 155 lbs at 5´11"...planning to run another marathon in a few weeks.

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 23):
In regular salt, the oxidation level is -1. In Splenda, it's +5

I don´t think you´re correct. Sucralose (trade name is splenda) is a pyranoside structure where the chlorine atoms are single bonded to methylene groups...which means that their oxidation state is -1...just like in sodium chloride (table salt)...the difference being that in sucralose, the chlorine is covalently bonded, while sodium chloride consists of ions.

For the chlorine to be in an oxidation state of +5, you would need it to be bonded to something more electronegative than itself...like oxygen. An example would be potassium chlorate (KClO3)...but that does not have anything to do with diet sodas.

Cheers!

Sabena332

Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:45 pm

There is simply no escape from Coke Zero ads or spots when you are a regurlar stadium visitor in Germany. Coca-Cola was advertising for Coke Zero in every 1st and 2nd Bundesliga stadium I have been in the past few months (and I have been to many). All these ads and spots made me buy a Zero one day and I have to say that it is tasting pretty good, way better than Coke Light in my opinion. At the moment I am drinking a Sprite Zero and the taste is pretty close to the real Sprite. Today at the beverage shop I saw there are also Fanta Zero and Mezzo Mix Zero available, I will check out both in the next days.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

redngold

Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:37 pm

I think what those of us who drink Coke Zero and other Zero colas need to remember is that the carbonic acid, phosphoric acid, and caffeine are present in normal or even slightly elevated amounts. The acid damage is the same to teeth and gastrointestinal tissue, the potential damage to bone from calcium leaching is still there, and stimulant effects will still occur.
Up, up and away!

9V-SPF

Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:16 pm

Quoting Redngold (Reply 30):
I think what those of us who drink Coke Zero and other Zero colas need to remember is that the carbonic acid, phosphoric acid, and caffeine are present in normal or even slightly elevated amounts. The acid damage is the same to teeth and gastrointestinal tissue, the potential damage to bone from calcium leaching is still there, and stimulant effects will still occur.

That´s still a matter of controversy...my personal opinion is that people tend to overestimate the harmfulness of soda drinks. Carbonic acid does certainly not damage your body in any way as it is (almost exclusively) present in the form of carbon dioxide and water...both known to be totally harmless. Coffee or black tea contain significantly higher amounts of caffeine than coke, pepsi etc. You would really need to drink gallons each day to make that a serious issue. Additionally, the concentration of phosphoric acid is very, very low...if it is able to do any damage to something...that would be the teeth...but certainly not anything beyond that...just compare the acidities of phosphoric acid and stomach acid...

LHStarAlliance

Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:18 pm

Coke Zero is awful ! No taste , I prefer the good old Coca Cola ...

Constantin
Boycott The Olympic Games In Beijing !