Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

Honeymoon Destination - Grand Cayman!

Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:11 pm

After a lot of debate, I finally reserved our honeymoon destination – Grand Cayman (GCM)! We are really excited about some of the opportunities, and it was a killer deal which I couldn’t pass up ($500 RT ABQ-IAH-GCM).

So for those of you who are familiar with the area, I’d really love some recommendations.
  • Best sights to see?
  • Best restaurants?
  • Best bars/pubs/nightlife?
  • Places/things best avoided?
  • Any information you have at all would be very much appreciated!
Thanks so much for all your help. I’ll be sure to post a trip report after the wedding/trip in August.  Smile

Jetsgo

RE: Honeymoon Destination - Grand Cayman!

Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:16 pm

Congratulations. We are in the process of narrowing down our destinations. Either 10 nights at Castaway Island in Fiji, or a 12 night cruise from Sydney to Auckland with stops in both Australia and New Zealand, on Princess.

I've never been to Grand Cayman, but know exactly what you're going through. Have a great time!

BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:54 pm

Thanks JetsGo!

So from what I can see, the West End (where we're staying) is the primary area and that a trip to Rum Point and some other areas of the island are in order.

What about trips to the other islands? Are they worth the trip?

luv2fly

Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:10 pm

Quoting BCAInfoSys (Reply 2):
Thanks JetsGo!

So from what I can see, the West End (where we're staying) is the primary area and that a trip to Rum Point and some other areas of the island are in order.

What about trips to the other islands? Are they worth the trip?

One thing the island is vey expensive so prepare yourself for that. Also check with your hotel for the schedule when cruise ships are in port as Georgetown is small and get crowded.

Do the swim with stingrays it is well worth it.

yooyoo

Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:13 pm

If you go to Grand Cayman, you can go to Hell !!

I stopped there once for a day while cruising. My wife and i did the swim with the stingray trip which was nice. I here there are some good snorkeling and scuba spots. That's all i got, sorry.

Newark777

Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:09 pm

Quoting BCAInfoSys (Reply 2):

Rum Point is excellent, stayed there myself one time. It's a bit of a drive from the main resort strip, which I assume is where you're staying. You should definitely go to Stingray City, which is located on a sandbar between Rum Point and the western peninsula. You get to swim with big stingrays and feed them, lots of fun. I know boats leave from Rum Point, not sure about the western part of the island.

http://www.stingraycitytrips.com/

There's also a nature preserve in the middle of the island where they have a bunch of trails and you can get up close and personal with the big iguanas that live on the island. There's also a sea turtle sanctuary on the northwest corner of the island that's really neat to see.

And of course, congrats.  Smile

BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:13 pm

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 5):
It's a bit of a drive from the main resort strip, which I assume is where you're staying.

Yes, we're staying at the Courtyard by Marriott Grand Cayman on West Bay Road.

The rest of the information is great! Thank you very very much!

HOMER71

Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:30 pm

Congrats on the pending nuptuals!

My wife and I had our honeymoon on GCM in 1996 and stayed at the Hyatt. Other than what was already mentioned (Stingray City, Hell, Rum Point), we just hung out on Seven Mile Beach, did some walking around/shopping in George Town, visited Smith Cove, etc. GCM is a great snorkeling destination.

I don't know about now, but the golf course at the Hyatt uses a Cayman golf ball, it essentially travels half the distance than a regular golf ball. So one of the courses plays as a par 56 or 57 using a regular golf ball, or a par 71 using the Cayman golf ball.

We also took a sunset katamaran trip through the North Sound (from the Hyatt), very cool.

Have a great trip!

P.S. If you're on Seven Mile Beach and happened to find a men's gold serated wedding band in the water near the Hyatt Beach Club, let me know...

[Edited 2008-03-07 13:34:42]

BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:00 pm

Quoting Homer71 (Reply 7):
We also took a sunset katamaran trip through the North Sound (from the Hyatt), very cool.

Great suggestion! I went and found a sunset catamaran and cocktail cruise for $35 (not sure if that's USD or CID, but either way that's a great deal!) Now I've got the first night's romance covered.

Muchos gracias mi amigo!

skywatch

Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:13 pm

I've been down there twice....Stingray City is a must. And if you want a great place to kill an afternoon on a relaxing beach shaded by island pines, then Rum Point is a another good one. I would say snorkeling or diving at Eden Rock, but I only did that on my first trip (before Hurricane Ivan destroyed everything) so I don't know if that's any good still. There's a restaurant downtown that overlooks the harbor called Breezes. Great place, great view, great food. And of course, check out parks along Seven Mile Beach. Another kind of novelty attraction that I enjoyed was the turtle farm, where they raise sea turtles as a re-population program. You can see all stages of life, from little fist-sized turtles to the huge 300lb adults. And they have a touch tank where you can try your hand at catching the little suckers! There are some really good views/cliffs on the East End that are good for photo ops and diving.

---Skywatch

BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:21 pm

Those are some really great suggestions Skywatch! I'll be sure to run those by the missus.

Thank you!

bhmbaglock

Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:54 pm

Are either of you open-water certified divers? If not, I'd suggest either getting the certification or considering a resort course while you're there. Depending on experience level, I'm sure some of us can suggest some really good diving.

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 3):

Don't miss it.

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 4):

Be sure to send postcards to anybody you know who would be offended by a postcard from hell and needs to be offended. I'm sure you know some.

skywatch

Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:07 am

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 4):

Yep...I've been to Hell and back...twice! Got my picture taken with my arm around the devil.... Big grin

BCA: If you like to go fishing, then I have a lot more info for you! But, considering the fact that it's a honeymoon and all, that would only work if your future wife enjoys fishing also...

---Skywatch

asuflyer05

Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:26 am

Go to Hell.

It's not as hot as you think.

BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:00 pm

Quoting Asuflyer05 (Reply 13):
Go to Hell.

Same to you buddy!  Wink

Thanks for all of the great ideas guys! If you have any others, particularly for activities/food/drink; we'd appreciate 'em.

KaiGywer

Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:50 pm

First off, my condolences  Silly

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 3):

Just don't piss them off  Silly

cha747

Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:33 am

Quoting Homer71 (Reply 7):

Sadly, the Hyatt name has left GCM after 20 years! The original hotel that "The Firm" was filmed at was destroyed in a hurricane and is supposedly lying there a mess. The villas they built on the beach are still there but without the Hyatt name. Quite sad.

There is a restaurant called Pappagallo. A little remote, but worth the drive.

Take lots of extra cash...VERY expensive place to stay (but worth every penny).