Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Newark777

RE: Police Harassment? Need Opinion

Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:46 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 46):
Because most of the time it's redflag . . . crybabies sniveling over a ticket or some such declaring they've been harrassed or some other such unfounded crock of ____. It's always the big bad po-po picking on poor innocent me.

Because you aren't biased at all either.

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 47):
Smart.

So tailgating is smart as well?
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

luv2fly

Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:10 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 45):
Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 19):

Never said improprieties didn't go on. . . . never said it. Never denied it.

The issue is that you deny it pretty much every time such a charge comes up here.

Well as much as it kills me to side with N1120A he is right.
You can cut the irony with a knife

KFLLCFII

Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:52 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 49):

Quoting KFLLCFII:

then discover either the plate or the vehicle (or both) were reported stolen, a weapon was known to be in the vehicle or used during the crime (as indicated in the hit), and it's just you and the bad guys on the side of the road with no backup in sight. Smart.

If you see a car that looks like one reported stolen, used in a crime, whatever, call it in and have them run it at the office. If it comes back stolen, call your backup and stop the guy.

That is also an option...And the one that officers/deputies without an MDT have no choice but to utilize. However, your original insinuation, in reply to a user responding to a previous implication on his part that it's ok for cops to break the law in the form of tailgating as long as they're in the process of running a plate, was that it should be illegal for those with MDTs to run plates until they've already made the stop. But if you're now asserting that they should call it in and have them run it at the offce before making the stop, then you've already contradicted yourself in that they somehow had to be close enough to the plate to be able to read it in the first place. Checkmate, you lose.  Wink

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 50):

Quoting KFLLCFII:

Smart.

So tailgating is smart as well?

Sometimes it's a necessary evil, when it's a matter of officer safety. You want to have an idea of who (or what) you're about to stop, if the situation justifies a stop, so there's no surprises when it's too late. And obviously it's not always 100% foolproof, as the registrant of the vehicle may not even be aware that his/her car is missing, so it could actually be a stolen vehicle that has yet to be reported as such (with the registration coming back clean and matching the vehicle). Heck, maybe the tag comes back clean to one type of car, and the vehicle you're looking at is a completely different make/model. Could be a stolen vehicle with a stolen tag that has yet to be reported as such. You never know, but that's information you need to have up front. Surprises are what gets cops killed.

It's not that tailgating is smart, per se, But doing so arms you with knowledge that otherwise could put you in a situation of life or death. Given that choice, officers will choose life every time.

And, of course, common citizens don't do traffic stops...Which means they won't have a life-or-death need to tailgate. That's the difference, and I believe any reasonable person can understand that.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

N1120A

Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:54 pm

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 52):
had to be close enough to the plate to be able to read it in the first place.

It doesn't take tailgating to read a license plate.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Newark777

Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:59 pm

But doing so arms you with knowledge that otherwise could put you in a situation of life or death. Given that choice, officers will choose life every time.

As N1120A mentioned, an eye exam may be needed if it takes tailgating to read a plate. In the time this thread has been going on, I've been noticing how far back I can get while reading the plate ahead of me. I can maintain a safe following distance while still reading quite clearly the plate in front of me. And if there's not enough light, I guess that's what the big light attached to the car is for.

KFLLCFII

Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:16 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 53):

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 54):
As N1120A mentioned, an eye exam may be needed if it takes tailgating to read a plate. In the time this thread has been going on, I've been noticing how far back I can get while reading the plate ahead of me. I can maintain a safe following distance while still reading quite clearly the plate in front of me. And if there's not enough light, I guess that's what the big light attached to the car is for.

Obviously under ideal conditions, tailgating is not needed. That's why I said:

Sometimes

But try to read one through a highly-tinted and/or highly-angled rear window. In broad daylight. And get back to me.

Oh, and make sure that "0" isn't a "Q" with the little tail hiding under the window trim.  Wink

[Edited 2008-03-09 13:17:21]
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

DC10extender

Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:17 pm

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 54):
As N1120A mentioned, an eye exam may be needed if it takes tailgating to read a plate

Well then explain to me what the fuck tailgating is in YOUR opinion. Because I don't tailgate, I just get close enough to read the plate.

This is just another bash all police officers thread. Why do you always look for a reason to go on and on about how much you hate cops. And don't try to tell me for one second that you "don't hate cops, just certain ones" because that is BS and you know it. All you do is generalize.
Did you ever read on your birth certificate that life is fair? Thats cause its not there.

N1120A

Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:17 pm

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 55):

But try to read one through a highly-tinted and/or highly-angled rear window.

Why would you need to read a plate through a window?

Newark777

Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:18 pm

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 55):
But try to read one through a highly-tinted and/or highly-angled rear window. In broad daylight. And get back to me.

But is there an official policy regarding tailgating, or is this something officers take upon themselves to do?

Newark777

Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:24 pm

Quoting DC10extender (Reply 56):

Well then explain to me what the fuck tailgating is in YOUR opinion. Because I don't tailgate, I just get close enough to read the plate.

Is this the way you treat people you pull over that don't agree with everything you say?

This is just another bash all police officers thread. Why do you always look for a reason to go on and on about how much you hate cops. And don't try to tell me for one second that you "don't hate cops, just certain ones" because that is BS and you know it. All you do is generalize.

You generalize everyone in the thread, and then hypocritically accuse us of generalizing. I respect ANC, KFLLCFII, and others here because they at least are able to have civil discussions on the topic. You seem to be the type of cop that gives the others a bad name.

WildcatYXU

Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:34 pm

This is just another bash all police officers thread.

No, it isn't. It's "bash the goddamn idiots who think that just because they have a badge can break the law at will thread".

Obey the law and nobody will ever bash you. All you will hear (or read in this case) is praise.
223, 310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 7M8, 739, 744, 752, 753, 762, 763, 77E, 77L, 77W, 788, 789, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR7, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E70, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

KFLLCFII

Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:42 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 57):

Quoting KFLLCFII:

But try to read one through a highly-tinted and/or highly-angled rear window.

You're joking, right?

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 58):
But is there an official policy regarding tailgating, or is this something officers take upon themselves to do?

Among other things, the policy states to advise dispatch of the vehicle's tag number and description before initiating the stop. So the requirement is there to gather the information beforehand. But it doesn't make specific mention as to how you go about doing so, only that it needs to be done.

Hope that answers the question.

bagpiper

Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:43 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 49):
If you see a car that looks like one reported stolen, used in a crime, whatever, call it in and have them run it at the office. If it comes back stolen, call your backup and stop the guy.

Yeah, well, seeing as most cars reported by witnesses to a crime scene are something like: "silver late model Toyota, either Camry or Avalon" - that description matches about 1 in 15 cars you meet on the interstate, at least around me.

You need the plate for that... which it doesn't look like you mentioned in your post. It looks like you think the cop should just report the make/model and color.

bagpiper

Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:45 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 57):

Hate to break it to you, but um... you know what keeps the wind from blasting on your face when you're driving at 60mph?

Its called a W-I-N-D-O-W

Yeah, even the super cool cops need windows, too. They're not superman, after all.

All joking aside, what point were you trying to make there?

Newark777

Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:48 pm

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 61):

Among other things, the policy states to advise dispatch of the vehicle's tag number and description before initiating the stop. So the requirement is there to gather the information beforehand. But it doesn't make specific mention as to how you go about doing so, only that it needs to be done.

So you wouldn't be allowed, in the case of a hard to read plate, to pull them over and then run the plate, and wait for backup if needed without getting out of your car?

ANCFlyer

Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:57 pm

Says the Arm Chair cop . . .

I guess, from now on, what you'd prefer is that we stop you FIRST, then read your plate and call it in, and if there's nothing wrong, say "ooops, my bad, sorry, have a nice night"?  sarcastic 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Newark777

Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:08 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 65):

I guess, from now on, what you'd prefer is that we stop you FIRST, then read your plate and call it in, and if there's nothing wrong, say "ooops, my bad, sorry, have a nice night"?

Don't you need probably cause to conduct a stop?

KFLLCFII

Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:14 pm

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 64):

Quoting KFLLCFII:

So you wouldn't be allowed, in the case of a hard to read plate, to pull them over and then run the plate, and wait for backup if needed without getting out of your car?

If you can't read the plate, or if there isn't a plate, you've gotta do what you've gotta do. On countless occasions they've advised "no tag" or "unreadable". They'll either ask for a backup, or they'll handle it based on their own judgement.

Newark777

Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:19 pm

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 67):
If you can't read the plate, or if there isn't a plate, you've gotta do what you've gotta do. On countless occasions they've advised "no tag" or "unreadable". They'll either ask for a backup, or they'll handle it based on their own judgement.

I've heard that a few times, that's what I figured.

bagpiper

Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:33 pm

guess, from now on, what you'd prefer is that we stop you FIRST, then read your plate and call it in, and if there's nothing wrong, say "ooops, my bad, sorry, have a nice night"?

That'll go over well with this crowd, seeing as there was a post not too long ago blaming a cop for making up reason to give him a ticket.

I can just see it now....

"**** fool, wasted 6 minutes of my precious time, after giving me emotional trauma because I didn't know what I did!!"

Grow up, people. Take it that some of this stuff happens as part of life. Yes, that includes having authority over you. Would have thought you learned that while you were a kid.

Sure, sometimes people abuse authority, but you guys seem to abuse your rights to free speech often enough by complaining everything under the frickin sun - and more. Hint: there was a tinge of sarcasm there, FYI.

On a more serious note, if you complain about police abusing their job, maybe you need to look at your actions at work, too? Browsing A.net or checking your email, if its against company policies, is not giving you much authority to complain about other people not doing their job to your standards.

Yes, I am tired, hence the extra sprinkle of sourness to the post.

luv2cattlecall

Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:40 pm

That's why you need one of these tire-spike dispensers, a la Inspector Gadget

http://www.mdstx.com/

Newark777

Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:48 pm

Quoting Bagpiper (Reply 69):
On a more serious note, if you complain about police abusing their job, maybe you need to look at your actions at work, too? Browsing A.net or checking your email, if its against company policies, is not giving you much authority to complain about other people not doing their job to your standards.

Are comparing tailgating to browsing the internet?

[Edited 2008-03-09 14:48:39]

WildcatYXU

Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:49 pm

I guess, from now on, what you'd prefer is that we stop you FIRST, then read your plate and call it in, and if there's nothing wrong, say "ooops, my bad, sorry, have a nice night"?

Well, if had had to choose between an unmarked car behaving as Iowaman described and a properly marked squad car pulling me over just to ask if I drank alcoholic beverages prior diving, I'd chose the latter. Your reason to call in my plate could be whatever, but I would accept the question about alcohol as an explanation for pulling me over without complaints.
223, 310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 7M8, 739, 744, 752, 753, 762, 763, 77E, 77L, 77W, 788, 789, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR7, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E70, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

WildcatYXU

Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:04 pm

Grow up, people.

Take it that some of this stuff happens as part of life.

Breaking the law by law enforcement can't be considered a part of life, even if it's such minor thing as tailgating. Until you don't realize that, please be so kind and keep the advice about growing up for yourself.

Mir

Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:06 am

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 36):
It was a fishing trip, your rights were not violated.

I never said the fishing trip was the problem.

Quoting DC10extender (Reply 38):
Well that would depend on what you call a safe following distance.

A distance in which, if the driver ahead were to suddenly slow down, you'd have time to react and avoid a collision without having to swerve into other lanes.

Quoting DC10extender (Reply 38):
Next time you go out on the road, see how close you have to get behind a car before you can read the plate perfectly clearly. Oh, and do it at night.

Been there, done that. If the plate is displayed properly, night shouldn't make a difference.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

ANCFlyer

Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:16 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 74):
Been there, done that. If the plate is displayed properly, night shouldn't make a difference.

Except for snow/ice buildup - which is usually the problem . . .Iowaman is in - ummmm, Iowa . . . and they've been getting a lot of that lately - at least according to my daughter.

And yes, Arm-Chair copper, some plates are difficult to see at night, even when they're clean and there is prior lighting and all things are good with the world and the planets have aligned themselves . . .

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 66):

Generally speaking . . .

But my post to which you refer was an answer to N1120A's Arm-Chair Cop post here . . . put it into perspective and you'll get my meaning.

had to be close enough to the plate to be able to read it in the first place.

By the way - about time you got back here  biggrin 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

CaptOveur

Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:33 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 40):
Well, you just spent a paragraph trying to justify dangerous tailgating behavior.

I guess you didn't read the part where I said it wasn't an excuse. So why don't you tell us all how it should be done?

Yes, you do need probable cause to stop someone. You don't need any to run a plate.

Also, probable cause is easier than you might think to come up with. Equipment violations, rolling a stop sign, 1mph over the limit. There are thousands of things you can be stopped for. The bottom line is if the cop wants to get to your window bad enough he can figure out a reason. None of it actually compromises your rights. Especially if he just gives you a verbal warning and sends you on your way.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

allstarflyer

Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:37 am

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 12):
If you get rear ended, the airbags will not go off because your head is moving backwards into the headrest.

They can still go off - doesn't mean your airbag has to be the first thing your head hits.  idea  (tempted to use  banghead  , but that's bad karma  eyebrow  ).

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 13):
"I was just at Rolling Meadows yesterday and the judge was asking when you will be visiting him again" (Rolling Meadows is where the 3rd Circuit Court of Cook County)...which has jurisdiction over the Nazi NW Suburbs

Same people helped me out in a huge jam when some guy stole my credit card.

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 13):
Elk Grove Village

I've been pulled over there (when I worked at O'Hare). She was really cute, too, although, I had an attitude. I'm still a bit mystified - it was early (before 5AM), so I can understand the need to check my plates. I pulled to one lane, she then pulled behind me - we kept that up for about 4 lane changes until she pulled me over. I still feel the same way today - if you (police) know you're going to pull me over, how about doing it right away? This green-freshman-will-you-dance-with-me routine is pretty lame, IMO. Want to do your job - fine, and you have my support. Just get'r done and avoid your little drama. Some people out here don't hate you like you think.

Overall, though, I've been pulled over at least 10 to 15 times in my life - not once has the cop been a prick. The cop's reasoning has been a little suspect, but usually they're pretty cool in how they conduct themselves, and this has happened to me in different parts of the country. Bottom line - cops will usually be cool. If they're not, you take the higher ground. Remember the cop's name and if it happens again, turn the name over to his superiors. They don't forget that.
Living the American Dream

Newark777

Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:43 am

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 76):
I said it wasn't an excuse.

Doesn't mean much when you go ahead and give a paragraph worth of excuses.  Wink

WildcatYXU

Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:44 am

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 76):
Also, probable cause is easier than you might think to come up with. Equipment violations, rolling a stop sign, 1mph over the limit. There are thousands of things you can be stopped for. The bottom line is if the cop wants to get to your window bad enough he can figure out a reason. None of it actually compromises your rights. Especially if he just gives you a verbal warning and sends you on your way.

Sure, and as I wrote before, I wouldn't be offended if you pull me over on my way from an entertainment district at 1.00 AM asking if I drank something. Just do it in a marked car regular way: light up, I'll stop, you run my numbers, then come up to my window and ask: I guarantee you polite answers and smiles. So do you job the proper way and don't scare the bejesus out of me...

CaptOveur

Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:01 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 78):
Doesn't mean much when you go ahead and give a paragraph worth of excuses.

I am still waiting on you to tell every cop in the world how to do their job.

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 79):
I'll stop, you run my numbers, then come up to my window and ask

In a perfect world we already have our returns before we hit the lights. I guess they didn't cover that on the last episode of CSI. It's nice to know if the car is stolen or just came from a drive by shooting before we stop moving (and become easier to shoot at)

DC10extender

Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:04 am

Yes but I'd count weaving as probable cause. Now don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have pulled the thread starter owner over if his story is exactly as he says it is but I'd be a little suspicious.

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 60):
Obey the law and nobody will ever bash you. All you will hear (or read in this case) is praise.

But you see I do obey the law. I believe in the law and I obey it at all times. Even if I could slide on some parts, I obey it. And there will always be the people who hate cops for such little things as speeding tickets and the like, it is just part of the job.

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 59):
Is this the way you treat people you pull over that don't agree with everything you say?

Of course not. I am courteous and friendly. I know it peeves them and I know it can be a hassle. I am never overly nice but I don't yell or shout unless the occasion calls for it. I just figure that I can rant here and get it out of my system because no one knows me. I personally believe that those who enforce the law are bound to it as well. And I know that I will hear comments like "well tailgating is illegal" and "well then why do you tailgate?".

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 59):
they at least are able to have civil discussions on the topic.

Well, I'm sorry for the hostility but I am tired of being generalized and talked about like I am a bad person on a power trip. In all honesty, I'm still pretty new so I need to learn to grow a thicker skin like ANC, etc. but I'm trying real hard.

Quoting Mir (Reply 74):
A distance in which, if the driver ahead were to suddenly slow down, you'd have time to react and avoid a collision without having to swerve into other lanes.

Well, I never follow that close. Usually, if I'm getting too close say on a two lane road, I switch lanes and get closer. On a single lane road, I wait till we get to a stop sign, light, etc. before running the plate although I also just forget about it. It is about 99% of the time a clear and valid driver with no warrants, etc.

Quoting Mir (Reply 74):

It can sometimes especially in winter if the plate is dirty.

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 77):
if you (police) know you're going to pull me over, how about doing it right away? This green-freshman-will-you-dance-with-me routine is pretty lame,

Well, it does take a little time for the information to get back to us after we've entered it into the computer. Then, we need to set our status to out on traffic. Generally though, I wouldn't follow for more than 10 to 20 seconds before initiating a stop.
Did you ever read on your birth certificate that life is fair? Thats cause its not there.

CaptOveur

Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:07 am

Quoting DC10extender (Reply 81):
Then, we need to set our status to out on traffic. Generally though, I wouldn't follow for more than 10 to 20 seconds before initiating a stop.

You also want to pick a good place for the stop before starting it. Most people stop pretty quick and you don't want to be in the middle of a 2 lane road with no shoulder when there is an empty, well lit parking lot a half mile up the road.

DC10extender

Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:12 am

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 82):
You also want to pick a good place for the stop before starting it. Most people stop pretty quick and you don't want to be in the middle of a 2 lane road with no shoulder when there is an empty, well lit parking lot a half mile up the road.

There is that as well. Generally though, the highways around here have a good shoulder and 3 lanes.

WildcatYXU

Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:28 am

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 80):
I guess they didn't cover that on the last episode of CSI.

Do you know what? You can stick your pathetic attempt for sarcasm up your ass. (for explanation, as an "acting" analytical chemist I have enough beef with CSI myself). We are talking here about some deputies who have to tailgate the car ahead in order to read the plate. How can you have returns before you hit the lights if you can't read the plate? You are totally off topic here. Please adhere to the story.

It's nice to know if the car is stolen or just came from a drive by shooting before we stop moving (and become easier to shoot at)

What's the percentage of these stops? 0.01%?

WildcatYXU

Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:34 am

But you see I do obey the law. I believe in the law and I obey it at all times.

And yet you are defending an technique that is probably effective, but it's on the edge of law (or slightly behind). I'm asking you as I asked the others before; do your thing but don't endanger our lives by doing stupid stunts (reading the plate while driving a poorly controllable overloaded vehicle and tailgating at the same time). I would rather stop for you (and I'm probably not alone).

Newark777

Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:53 am

I am still waiting on you to tell every cop in the world how to do their job.

I'm just telling you not to break the law.

N1120A

Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:42 am

Yes but I'd count weaving as probable cause.

What you count doesn't really matter here. Further, like I said, I was stopped when the cop actually caused me to weave slightly.

CaptOveur

Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:42 am

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 84):
What's the percentage of these stops? 0.01%?

It's very few where I work, maybe a few per year. For central and west side substations of SAPD it is a couple per night.. The point is those are the highest risk stops and you really want your backup to already be there before you decide to dick with something like that. When that ounce of caution isn't that much harder to achieve would you take it or stupidly risk getting shot? There is nothing "routine" about a traffic stop and anyone who initiates one without being fully prepared for the absolute worst that can happen needs to be in a new line of work.

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 86):
I'm just telling you not to break the law.

Are you going to say don't speed unless your lights are on next?

Another reason for being tailgated by a marked police unit that I have heard is: Assuming the car is stolen, or you have 8 illegal immigrants in your trunk, or you have 6 kilos of cocaine in the trunk. The police officer wants you to do something really stupid- like floor it and run so he doesn't have to put himself at risk approaching your vehicle. It is a pretty silly way to handle things but it is a tactic I have heard of. Also, on a crowded street is a way to keep from losing you before he gets to compromise your civil rights by taking 5 minutes of your time to make sure you aren't doing anything mentioned above.

I would say this has been pretty well beaten to death at this point.

Mir

Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:05 am

Well, I never follow that close. Usually, if I'm getting too close say on a two lane road, I switch lanes and get closer. On a single lane road, I wait till we get to a stop sign, light, etc. before running the plate although I also just forget about it. It is about 99% of the time a clear and valid driver with no warrants, etc.

I have no problem with that. My original comments were in regard to this:

Quoting DC10extender (Reply 29):
Quoting Iowaman (Thread starter):
but instead he gets so close to my rear bumper,

Well, thats the only way I can read a license plate to put it into the computer.

Which I interpreted as saying that you would tailgate a driver because it's the only way you could get their plate number. If I was incorrect in my interpretation, then I apologize.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

DC10extender

Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:52 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 89):
Which I interpreted as saying that you would tailgate a driver because it's the only way you could get their plate number. If I was incorrect in my interpretation, then I apologize.

Nope, I just get closer then maybe someone giving say a 3 or four second following distance.

andrej

Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:25 pm

Quoting DC10extender (Reply 90):
Nope, I just get closer then maybe someone giving say a 3 or four second following distance.

that's normal for NJ drivers!  Smile

I know that in some parts of the country (central NJ) police officers will initiate stop, run the license plate and wait for the dispatch (if they don't have necessary software installed to check (run plates) it themselves) and if necessary wait for back up. However I also know that same PD lets police officers run plates whenever i.e. when you are stopped on red light, or while driving.

When at night shift they are always doubled so there is no problem for cops to run plates while driving. Its good when they are teamed, as it not only helps them it helps me when I need them. (to lift heavy patients or move them around)

I firmly believe in safety first and police officers should make every effort that they are safe and ready for the worst. Tailgating is not safe operation in my view ( as well as CEVOs  Smile ). So I think that the cop (in the Iowaman's case) was wrong and he was fishing for traffic stop. He should some desk duty for while. In remote locations town cops can get pretty bored rather quickly. When comparing their department to NJs they don't get much to do after midnight, but there are some nights when sh!t hits the fan and you are glad for their service! Yes I lived in less densely populated rural area in MD so I know from experience.

Unfortunately you get some bad apples and they will easily ruin good name. It does not matter where you work!

Cheers,
Andrej

Newark777

Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:33 pm

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 88):

Yes, in theory. Quite disheartening to see officers here with such disregard for the law.

Quoting Andrej (Reply 91):
that's normal for NJ drivers!

Three or four second following distance is unheard of in NJ. It is measured in feet or inches, not car lengths or seconds.  Wink

A332

Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:08 pm

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 88):

Yeah, that would be nice. I am tired of watching local patrol cars speed along city streets without their lights on, usually only seen heading to Tim Horton's... if cops are allowed to break the law, then why should normal everyday folk obey the same laws..?
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

Analog

Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:03 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 15):
Quoting Iowaman (Thread starter):

Is this legal on his part?

Yes, it's legal.

No, tailgating is illegal. An honest cop would have ticketed himself.

Tailgating is an entrapment technique that police use to get people to speed. I've seen it happen. Cop tailgates within a few feet at highway speed, other driver accelerates to get out of the way, cop pulls over said driver.

ANCFlyer

Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:15 pm

Quoting Analog (Reply 94):

Ya know, if you're going to quote me at least have the gut to quote the entire text, so that context isn't lost . . . . your drivel above makes it sound like I said tailgating was legal . . . .  irked 

What I said was legal is the Sheriff following Iowaman and stopping him . . . THAT is legal. Might not be fun, but it's legal, and it's NOT harrasment.

Analog

Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:13 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 95):
Ya know, if you're going to quote me at least have the gut to quote the entire text, so that context isn't lost . . . . your drivel above makes it sound like I said tailgating was legal . . . . irked

Question: Description of things the officers do (including tailgating) followed by: "Is this legal?"
Answer (you): "Yes, it's legal."

Why is it drivel for me to suggest that a truly honest officer should ticket him/herself for a violation like tailgating? Or is my description of police using tailgating to entrap motorists somehow drivel?