Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

RJdxer
Topic Author

For Those Of You Freezing Up North!

Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:49 pm

It was cold here in Houston yesterday. Day started off at around 38F and since I had the day off thought I would take a little day trip. So here a few pictures of my day trip to Cancun. Hopefully it will warm the cockles of your hearts and give you cheer that spring is not too far around the corner!

Flew down on CO 464. Not a seat to be had in the back so I had to cockpit jumpseat and lo and behold it was ship 416, a 900ER, one of the newest in the fleet! No crushed coffee cups or old charts fell out of the jumpseat when I folded it down and locked it into place! Everything was clean as a whistle, the paint on the dash wasn't chipped, even the little decals on the knobs were there! The nav display had a new wrinkle, not only would it give you the standard God's eye view of the route but also a horizontal display that would show the angle of climb, waypoints as you passed them, and would give a red area showing terrain and angle of climb to clear. It would also show if you were below the MEA, MOCA, or MRA for a given sector. But enough of the techno talk. Approach into Cancun was fun, vectored into a 100 degree turn to intercept the ILS,whatup wit dat? Very gusty cross wind made the short final real work for the captain. The landing was firm but right on the centerline and with the wind blowing the way it was, I would not have wanted to try it even in a sim.

Never having been to Cancun before I was thankful that the FO had and explained I had my choice of transportation to the town, expensive, and ridiculously expensive. I give the Mexicans credit. They know when they have a fish on the hook and how to play it! 50 bucks for a cab ride or 12 for a minivan. I took the 12 buck option. I'm sure there must be a city bus that goes out that way but I didn't have time to investigate where to find it. Not all of those airport workers must own a car. The scenery from the airport to to the beaches was nothing to write home about. Fortunately it is a short trip since not only was there no real scenery to look at but a woman in the back of the van was doing her best to keep up the traditional belief that all Americans are boorish. So I asked to be dropped at the beach and the driver obliged!

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f294/DrHansZarkov/Picture005.jpg

The wind was really blowing down by the water. Had to be a steady 25mph with gusts to 35mph. Right off the water too so the waves were stacking up. I haven't seen surf like this since I was out at the north shore of Oahu. The red flags were flying! But even with the wind the temp was perfect at around 80F.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f294/DrHansZarkov/Picture019.jpg

But even all the warnings didn't stop at least one idiot from thinking he was bullet proof. Rather than find a nice spot to cozy on up to his girlfriend he was seriously contemplating going out into the surf. There are rocks all along the surf line and farther out I'm sure under water. Not the place to be getting tossed about by angry waves!

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f294/DrHansZarkov/Picture008.jpg

I decided to leave before he got into trouble and I got stupid trying to save him.

Farther down the beach, a hotel bar with swings for seats! Thankfully for the bar the sand is soft.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f294/DrHansZarkov/Picture014.jpg

I was surprised at how narrow the beach is. In some spots no more than 20-30 feet wide. The surf on this day would run all the way up to the hotel foundations.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f294/DrHansZarkov/Picture016.jpg

But even though it was rough, it was still a beautiful color!

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f294/DrHansZarkov/Picture018.jpg

If the beach was too rough for you, there was always the hotel pool to retreat too. I saw several very interesting ones this is just a sample.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f294/DrHansZarkov/Picture021.jpg

Didn't make it all the way downtown as I was only on the ground for 4 hours when you discount arrival and departure prep time. I started thinking on my way back I should have gone there first since that shoreline would have been on the lee side of the wind and the beaches would have probably been a little nicer. Oh well next time. No new 900ER on the way back. It was a trusty 300 and there were plenty of seats available in the back. That was good since after all that walking I was tired. Had the row to my self so I stretched out. Hope the pictures warm you popsicle's up a little. It was a fun day indeed, thanks for coming along!

CPH-R

RE: For Those Of You Freezing Up North!

Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:59 pm

Bloody unfair, showing us such a warm & sandy climate, when I'm stuck in a place that's too southernly for snow in the winter & too northerly for any decent summer weather (as in: It's grey, cold and windy)  hissyfit   Wink

JGPH1A

Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:03 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Thread starter):
Hopefully it will warm the cockles of your hearts and give you cheer that spring is not too far around the corner!

Bastard  grumpy  - I know you only post these things to annoy me !

It looks very pleasant, I hope you at least had time for a large multicoloured drink with an umbrella and a sparkler in, as is customary.

Spring seems pretty far away even here on the "sunny" (ha-bloody-ha) Cote d'Azur - it's cold and grey today. Oh well, in a weeks time I'm off to Siberia - it'll probably be warmer there than here.

CPH-R

Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:10 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 2):
Spring seems pretty far away even here on the "sunny" (ha-bloody-ha) Cote d'Azur - it's cold and grey today. Oh well, in a weeks time I'm off to Siberia - it'll probably be warmer there than here.

.. but will it have the traffic jams of the D559?  Wink

(That is my biggest memory of the Cote d'Azur - being stuck in a queue on the D559 from St-Aygulf all the way to St Tropez Big grin)

JGPH1A

Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:13 pm

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 3):
.. but will it have the traffic jams of the D559?

(That is my biggest memory of the Cote d'Azur - being stuck in a queue on the D559 from St-Aygulf all the way to St Tropez )

Hehe - serves you right ! Anyone who drives to Saint Trop in the summer is asking for trouble.

I expect the traffic will be lighter in Tyumen, but with more combine harvesters.  Smile

vaporlock

Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:14 pm

So I asked to be dropped at the beach and the driver obliged!

Hell, now you have the right idea!!! Thanks for sharing your pics they sure are amazing and to even think about a beach right now makes me melt. We here in Toronto, Ontario are under a storm watch and have already received at least 15cm of snow with at least that much more throughout the day and into tomorrow. I guess that's why they say we live in the "Great White North".

Thanks again and have fun!!!

Vaporlock  bouncy 

RJdxer
Topic Author

Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:15 pm

It looks very pleasant, I hope you at least had time for a large multicoloured drink with an umbrella and a sparkler in, as is customary.

Yes, I did, although I had to make it a non-alcoholic one. Never know when you might have to sit up front and there was no provision in my plans for bottle to throttle time. Surprisingly, I didn't even see one topless woman while I was traipsing around the beach and pool areas either. Considering that spring break is underway here in the states, most of those hotels were surprisingly empty by the looks of things.

ANCFlyer

Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:15 pm

Bastard  grumpy  - I know you only post these things to annoy me !

Get in line!!!  grumpy 

Nice pics my friend . . .

It's +23F here in Glennallen today . . . soon, soon . . . summer comes  biggrin 

CPH-R

Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:16 pm

Quoting Vaporlock (Reply 5):
We here in Toronto, Ontario are under a storm watch and have already received at least 15cm of snow with at least that much more throughout the day and into tomorrow. I guess that's why they say we live in the "Great White North".

I can believe that, I was playing around with Flight Sim earlier today & using real world weather it was darn near impossible to see anything due to snow Big grin

NeilYYZ

Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:10 pm

Quoting Vaporlock (Reply 5):
I guess that's why they say we live in the "Great White North".

But it's a lot of fun having winters. Last night down here in Windsor around 3am I got a call from some friends who wanted to go out to the school nearby and play football in the snow. There's nothing like playing football in the dead of night while it's snowing.

Although going to Cancun for the day would be nice, I don't think I could trade the frigid cold winters.

vaporlock

Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:15 pm

Neil, hey I love the snow as well. There are so many different things you can do to have fun.

Here are a few pics I just took off our balcony.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/MsLock/IMG_7636.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/MsLock/IMG_7635.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/MsLock/IMG_7630.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/MsLock/IMG_7627.jpg

The wind is howling and the snow is still falling and this storm is going to continue into Sunday!!

Vaporlock  bouncy 

JGPH1A

Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:18 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 7):
It's +23F here in Glennallen today . . . soon, soon . . . summer comes

...when it will reach a balmy, sultry +27F ! Oooh, toasty.

biggrin 

Queso

Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:24 pm

Nice to see all that water! It's not even the driest part of the day here yet and look at the humidity:

It'll likely get down to 1% later today.

andaman

Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:45 pm

The winter 2007-08 was the warmest ever measured in Finland.
In Southern-Finland it was cloudy, wet, no snow - the worst kind of winter.

In Helsinki the winter arrived in Mars, but the snow won't last long...:

[Edited 2008-03-08 11:16:55]

vaporlock

Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:40 am

OK....I know when I posted earlier this morning we had a storm going through Toronto, Ontario. But what gives? It has been snowing all day and it is now 9:35 pm and it is still snowing. I love winter but I hope this ends soon.

Here are a few more pics.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/MsLock/snow2-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/MsLock/IMG_7642.jpg

This is a shot of off our balcony of the parking lot below. We have received several feet of snow and it just keeps falling!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/MsLock/snow.jpg

Vaps  bouncy 

NeilYYZ

Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:44 am

Quoting Vaporlock (Reply 14):
It has been snowing all day and it is now 9:35 pm and it is still snowing. I love winter but I hope this ends soon.

The landscape company I work for back there in Toronto called around 3pm and asked if I could make it back from Windsor to help them out but they've shut down the 401 near Windsor so there's no chance I'm making it back to the big T.O. today.

Those pictures sure look nice though.

Mir

Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:54 am

It was cold here in Houston yesterday.

No it wasn't. It was very nice in Houston yesterday.

Quoting Vaporlock (Reply 10):
Neil, hey I love the snow as well. There are so many different things you can do to have fun.

I love winter, and I'm well starved of it living in Florida. It is far to early in the year to need air conditioning in ones car.

-Mir

scrubbsywg

Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:52 am

its been freezing here since october, what's the problem?

It is still march, we still got a good 2 months of possible blizzard weather here.

vaporlock

Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:54 am

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 15):
Those pictures sure look nice though.

Well, Mr Spaceman and I just went for a drive to get a Tim Hortons...lmao

The main roads have been cleared but the side streets are a mess.

Ah....winter is truly beautiful!

Vaps  bouncy 

Falcon84

Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:01 am

AIRPORT STATUS INFORMATION
provided by the FAA's Air Traffic Control System Command Center Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE) Real-time Status
The status information provided on this site indicates general airport conditions; it is not flight-specific. Check with your airline to determine if your flight is affected.
Due to SNOW AND ICE, the Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE) was closed as of Mar 08 at 11:45 AM EST. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Mar 09 at 07:00 AM EDT.

God this thread sucks the big one.......

vaporlock

Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:21 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 19):

Hey....great to see ya here!!!!

I understand about the bummer due to the a/p being closed.

Winter is almost over and hopefully this will be the last storm!!!

I do love the snow.....it's so beautiful to see everything in a blanket of white!

Vaps  bouncy 

vaporlock

Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:26 am

Quoting ScrubbsYWG (Reply 17):
its been freezing here since october, what's the problem?

lol, I remember living in "Winterpeg"....it was the coldest place I've ever been in the winter!!!

Your right, you do have lots of winter left!!! hehe

Vaps  bouncy 

Falcon84

Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:30 am

Look on the bright side-baseball Opening Day in Cleveland is only 23 days away!!

Nice to see you, too, Phyl! Surviving the Winter Wonderland, with my usual good humor! Better to laugh than cry!

allstarflyer

Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:39 am

Glad ya had a good time, but really . . .

It was cold here in Houston yesterday.

I had the TAF's up everywhere - and cold wasn't IAH, buddy.

So here a few pictures of my day trip to Cancun.

Yep, rub 'er in.   

[Edited 2008-03-08 20:49:01]

vaporlock

Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:42 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 22):
Nice to see you, too, Phyl! Surviving the Winter Wonderland, with my usual good humor! Better to laugh than cry!

Hey, you always make me laugh!!! Hope all is well with you!

Vaps  bouncy 

Mortyman

Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:49 am

I was on the island of Cozumel in the Mexico gulf, back in 1988. Beutiful place  Smile Don't know what it's like today. Back then it was a pretty sleepy island. Guessing there are more tourists now, just like on Cancun.

PlymSpotter

Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:53 am

Quoting Andaman (Reply 13):
In Helsinki the winter arrived in Mars, but the snow won't last long...:

Wow, now that is what I call global warming, if the winter turned up on the wrong planet  silly   Wink

Very nice and incredibly tempting pics RJdxer - how long is the flight, and where are the pictures from the jump seat, surely as an aviation fan you took a few? It would be nice to get away from the Grey UK again, even if just for a day, but the only viable option is the med, which as JGPH1A commented on, does not have the best of weather either currently.

Dan  Smile

BR715-A1-30

Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:57 am

Bastard - I know you only post these things to annoy me !

I concur

Get in line!!!

You aren't gonna be long, are ya ANC? I REALLY gotta go!

LHboyatDTW

Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:11 am

Get in line!!! grumpy

Might as well  bored 

of how much I wish I was in the Florida Keys spending my break than staying at home and only being in Chicago for three days

davestanKSAN

Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:15 am

Fantastic shots, really looks beautiful down there. Glad you got to enjoy yourself, I'm sure work can be pretty stressing at times, but those flight benefits are marvelous things, aren't they?? Thanks for the pics  Smile.

Dave

JGPH1A

Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:47 am

Quoting DavestanKSAN (Reply 29):
I'm sure work can be pretty stressing at times

Pfftt. He only says it is to make it seems like he deserves those flying perks. Oh please... fill the tank, kick the tyres, make sure the duct tape holding the wings on is still there, shoo the self-loading cargo on board and you're good to go. How tough can it be ?

biggrin 

duck 

davestanKSAN

Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:20 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 30):
Pfftt. He only says it is to make it seems like he deserves those flying perks. Oh please... fill the tank, kick the tyres, make sure the duct tape holding the wings on is still there, shoo the self-loading cargo on board and you're good to go. How tough can it be ?

laughing  Perhaps he can make the self-loading cargo with your crown of jewels move into his office. Of course anyone with an ounce of taste will recognize thy royal crown as tacky, gaudy, and demeans us lesser peasants. But that is the point, so well done with your choice  Smile.

Dave, a loyal subject.

JGPH1A

Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:23 am

Quoting DavestanKSAN (Reply 31):
Dave, a loyal subject.

Off with his head !

RJdxer
Topic Author

Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:21 pm

I can smell the envy from 1500 miles away. Maybe if the city could keep the damn airport open you could make the trip yourself!  laughing  I talked with a friend in Fairview last night and he was actually proud of his brand new 5hp geared craftsman snowblower! I told him how proud I was not to have to need one!  mischievous 

Quoting Mir (Reply 16):
No it wasn't. It was very nice in Houston yesterday.

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 23):
had the TAF's up everywhere - and cold wasn't IAH, buddy.

All in the eye of the beholder gentlemen.

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 23):
Yep, rub 'er in.

Like a HEAT rub, you betcha!  laughing 

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 26):
Very nice and incredibly tempting pics RJdxer - how long is the flight, and where are the pictures from the jump seat, surely as an aviation fan you took a few?

I wanted to but I always defer to the wishes of the crew and one of them was not into it so I didn't. It's their office and they are kind enough to grant me access so I don't make an issue of it. It was a beautiful plane though. Sparkling clean.

Quoting DavestanKSAN (Reply 29):
Fantastic shots, really looks beautiful down there.

Yep, but take your wallet, beauty in Cancun comes with a price tag. I would guess a good day, if you were staying longer than I was and could drink and such, would cost upwards of 200 dollars unless you were at an AI.

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 30):
How tough can it be ?

As tough as being dragged around the world in first class and being dropped into first class hotels with nothing to look forward to but a return flight, in first class, back to a premier resort area in the world would be.  duck 

Quoting DavestanKSAN (Reply 31):
But that is the point, so well done with your choice

It's just the traveling tiara. The ones at home are much better I'm sure because you wouldn't want the commoners to see the good stuff!

JGPH1A

Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:26 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 33):
As tough as being dragged around the world in first class and being dropped into first class hotels with nothing to look forward to but a return flight, in first class, back to a premier resort area in the world would be.

It's hell, I tell you - why I almost chipped a nail the other day reaching into my wallet to tip the bellboy. Oh the humanity. And most of the time, it's just Business Class - there's no justice !  cry 

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 33):
It's just the traveling tiara. The ones at home are much better I'm sure because you wouldn't want the commoners to see the good stuff!

That old thing ? Just something I threw on.

ANCFlyer

Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:44 pm

Allow me.

I've wanted to use this for a long time, and well . . . now I can:

. . . .

Back down to a balmy 21F this morning. Now that's more like it. No new snow in ten days either. Can't say the same for Kenai and Anchorage.

JGPH1A

Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:28 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 35):
No new snow in ten days either.

Mai-tais by the pool, anyone ? Where is the boy with that lounger ?

ANCFlyer

Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:35 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 36):
Mai-tais by the pool, anyone ?

I did that, three weeks ago . . . Maui . . . 80 degrees every day.

I'd post a picture, but I wouldn't want to scare anyone . . .  bigthumbsup 

SNCNtry32

Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:43 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 37):
ANCFlyer

There have been days where its been warmer in ANC then it has been in Minnesota, and I am talking in March still Sad

Fiatstilojtd

Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:43 pm

I'd post a picture, but I wouldn't want to scare anyone . . .   

Why, no cap ?  

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 36):
Mai-tais by the pool, anyone ?

In Siberia you at least won't need ice cubes  

[Edited 2008-03-09 08:46:55]

JGPH1A

Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:47 pm

I did that, three weeks ago . . . Maui . . . 80 degrees every day.

I'd post a picture, but I wouldn't want to scare anyone . . .

Thank you for your consideration  Smile

ANCFlyer

Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:50 pm

Quoting Fiatstilojtd (Reply 39):
Why, no cap ?

Nope, hat was there . . . it's the shark bait legs that'll scare you . . . and unlike my friend JGPH1A, I DO have consideration that some people may be consuming a meal . . .

Besides I owe too many people new monitors as it is . . .

silly 

This'll have to do . . . hat and maitai present and accounted for . . .

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/csmpep/Maui%20Vacation%20Feb%202008/JohnDinnerCruiseFeb081.jpg

JGPH1A

Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:55 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 41):
and unlike my friend JGPH1A, I DO have consideration that some people may be consuming a meal . . .

The rest of you isn't exactly an oil painting either ! I suppose we can't all be young and beautiful, more's the pity.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 41):
hat and maitai present and accounted for . . .

Youf mai-tai has no umbrella in it. It is clearly sub-standard.

KevinL1011

Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:01 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 35):

Here's why...

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 42):
Your mai-tai has no umbrella in it. It is clearly sub-standard.

There's always one who has to ruin it for everybody else....pity.  Wink

JGPH1A

Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:06 pm

Quoting KevinL1011 (Reply 43):
There's always one who has to ruin it for everybody else....pity.

One anticipates perfection - one feels entitled.

:-P