Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

boeingfever777
Topic Author

What Handgun Should I Buy My Wife?

Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:54 am

Okay, as you all know, we Texans love our guns and I think it's time I buy my wife her own to shoot with.

I currently own:

• SW9P
  • SS P245
  • G32/357

She has shot all (3) of mine and my brothers (5) handguns... What I want to know is should I buy her something new that she could learn on or something that she is use to - 9mm? She just got her conceal/carry and is wanting something she can take to the range on her own and practice with. What about a compact model? Any guys who coached their wife/gf this would be appreciated - ANCflyer, KAI, HickoryShampoo, MiamiAir?
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

andz

RE: What Handgun Should I Buy My Wife?

Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:08 am

My wife has a CZ83. 9mm short, 13 shot clip, ambidextrous safety and clip release (she is left handed so that helps) .

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

BR715-A1-30

Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:00 am

Quoting BoeingFever777 (Thread starter):
I think it's time I buy my wife her own to shoot with.

Just don't piss her off at all, LOL

But as for the question... I personally prefer
http://www.rpgfirearms.com.au/HI%20RES/GLOCK%2017A.jpg
Puhdiddle

CaptOveur

Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:06 am

I got my girlfriend a 4 inch Springfield Armory XD 9mm.

It seems to be a good fit for her. The bottom line is it should be something she can handle and feels comfortable operating.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

boeingfever777
Topic Author

Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:08 am

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 3):
It seems to be a good fit for her. The bottom line is it should be something she can handle and feels comfortable operating.

A definite must... How do you personally like Springfield?

fxramper

Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:15 am

Sig Sauer P220 compact .45ACP.

If she's ever at Target shopping and some idiot decides to go ballistic in the store, she'll be able to defend herself.

CaptOveur

Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:22 am

Quoting BoeingFever777 (Reply 5):
How do you personally like Springfield?

I love them. I don't think there is a better gun out there for the money. Plus the accessories are plentiful and not expensive.

boeingfever777
Topic Author

Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:26 am

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 8):
I don't think there is a better gun out there for the money. Plus the accessories are plentiful and not expensive.

Off the top of your head what did you pay for yours? Please feel free to PM me if you need and feel this strongly about this manufacture.

da man

Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:06 pm

I don't know what the opinion of this gun with the guys on here, but for something compact in 9mm that the OP asked, I'm quite partial to the Walther PPS. That is what my CCW weapon will be when I get my permit in about a year and a half.
War Eagle!

Dougloid

Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:22 pm

What makes you think your wife needs or wants a pistol? Sounds like you want it. Be careful what you wish for.

I knew a guy who "bought" his wife an O/U browning shotgun so she could go "trapshooting". To his surprise she said "Let's go", got herself an instructor and turned out to be a lot better with the clay pigeons than he ever was-and she never let him forget it either.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

dl021

Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:06 pm

Unless your wife is an experienced shooter or willing to practice alot don't go out and get a semi-automatic. They require more experience and training due to the probability of stoppages (due to ammo, handling or design) and are less controllable.

Most gunfights happen at close quarters and a Smith & Wesson or Taurus .38spc will do just fine as a self-defence piece to keep in the car or purse. A +P round is as effective as any 9mm and a revolver is about as jam-proof as anything you can buy.

I own the GL32 you mention and it's a beast to control on the second round, and my wife (who is a good shot) hates it.

DOn't take any of this as a slight on women. For reasons of genetics and temperament they are naturally better shots than men (better hand-eye coordination, steadier hands, etc) but.....they are also usually smaller framed and most people (not just women) don't take the time to practice.

A revolver will allow her to extricate herself from most bad situations and enhance her chances of effectively defending herself.

If you do decide on a semi-automatic consider one the single stack Sigs or Smiths. THey have the smaller grips and are usually easier to handle and control for people with smaller hands. Only if she's very comfortable with the larger grips on a double stack should you bother with it. Again, most gunfights don't involve re-loading (or more than a couple of rounds), so the 13-19 round magazines are sometimes not worth the extra bother (although I like having more than I might need rather than less) it becomes a matter of simple home economics. My wife makes decisions on what she carries based on weight and what fits in her purse. If it becomes a hassle it's less likely to get ported around.

My wife has a Taurus .38spc +P lightweight (titanium frame) revolver. SHe likes it because it's a bit larger than the SMith and easier to control. It fits in her purse, glove box or night stand. Smith makes very nice ones but they're more expensive and nowadays they aren't really any better than the Taurus. If it was me I would own the Smith 637 but that's because I like the size (smaller).
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

pwm2txlhopper

Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:01 pm

Quoting DL021 (Reply 13):
Most gunfights happen at close quarters and a Smith & Wesson or Taurus .38spc will do just fine as a self-defence piece to keep in the car or purse.

I wouldn't ever recommend a woman carry a sidearm in their purse! What secures the purse to their body? Just a flimsy strap usually. If an attacker, mugger, or any other person who intendeds on causing harm decides to victimize a woman carrying a gun in her purse, it's conceivable that it wouldn't be very hard for the attacker to get that purse away from her, obtain her weapon and possibly use her own gun against her! If you're going to carry, especially if you're a woman, you need a secure holster. Carrying in your purse is just asking to be disarmed by an assailant. When I took a CCL class it was surprising to see how many woman raised their hands when the instructor asked who would be carrying in their purse! In all formal training I've ever received, it's always been advised to never conceal a sidearm somewhere such as a purse or in a form that's makes you vulnerable to disarmament. That's just asking for trouble!

767Lover

Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:28 pm

Woman here.

My husband owns a Smith & Wesson 38 Special that I shot at a shooting range over the holidays. To be honest, I thought it was a bit overpowering for me in terms of control. (I have a medium build and am fairly athletic, so not a wimp.) However, this might have been because I had never shot a handgun and was a little nervous about it.

The whole experience made me hope I never have to shoot that thing in "real life."

dl021

Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:57 pm

Quoting PWM2TXLHopper (Reply 14):
When I took a CCL class it was surprising to see how many woman raised their hands when the instructor asked who would be carrying in their purse! In all formal training I've ever received, it's always been advised to never conceal a sidearm somewhere such as a purse or in a form that's makes you vulnerable to disarmament. That's just asking for trouble!

I would agree except that reality intervenes. Women don't always wear clothing that accomodates holsters, and in such cases carrying the firearm in a purse is a valid and safe enough option provided the proper type purse is being used and it is securely carried, just as you would recommend a woman carry her purse in a city where mugging is possible. In some places women aren't paying attention and their purse straps are cut for pursesnatchers but that carries to the idea of controlling your personal items and being aware of your surroundings, especially when armed. The choice to be armed is one that involves heightened situational awareness and personal security requirements.

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 16):
My husband owns a Smith & Wesson 38 Special that I shot at a shooting range over the holidays. To be honest, I thought it was a bit overpowering for me in terms of control. (I have a medium build and am fairly athletic, so not a wimp.) However, this might have been because I had never shot a handgun and was a little nervous about it.

Two things...the Taurus is a slightly larger frame and grip, so it'd be easier for you to control.....and the probably distance you'll actually have to shoot if it does come to it is about 7 to 15 feet. You can handle that with a little practice. Let me know if you want to go shooting sometime...Debbie and I can take you (and we have a friend who likes to go and she's getting pretty good).

kmh1956

Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:01 pm

Depends...what would you like to be accidentally shot by?
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

CaptOveur

Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:43 am

Quoting BoeingFever777 (Reply 8):
Off the top of your head what did you pay for yours?

I think it was about $550. This one came with Trijicon night sights from the factory.

Magazines are about $30 and steel. A Glock Magazine is about $15 and plastic so I think the price compares nicely.. Compared to my H&K where a 10rd magazine is about $60

Also, if you want anything adjusted just send the gun back to Springfield Armory and their shop can tweak it any way you want. Their prices are reasonable.

Read some gun message boards. Springfield Armory gets very high marks on customer service for all their products.

I love H&K and Sig.. I just think they cost too much for a carry gun.

dl021

Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:23 am

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 18):
I love H&K and Sig.. I just think they cost too much for a carry gun.

I understand your point, but I have this theory about such a piece of equipment. Buy the best thing you can afford that fits your hand comfortably. You'll find that you USUALLY get what you pay for in a firearm.

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 17):

How would one get accidentally shot in any reliably projectable manner?

CaptOveur

Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:55 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 19):
You'll find that you USUALLY get what you pay for in a firearm.

I do have to agree with you on that. However, I think the differences as far as reliability, accuracy, and just about everything else between say a $400 Glock 23 and a $4000 Nighthawk 1911 are pretty much a moot point in a defensive gun that is likely going to be fired under extreme stress and at very close range. I am not saying don't pay a fortune for your carry gun if you can afford it. I am just saying get something comfortable, and reliable that you won't cry about when it gets beaten up from being carried all the time. Also, make sure you get something in a caliber you can afford to shoot regularly.

If we are talking about a good rifle or a handgun you just want to take to the range by all means break the bank.

dl021

Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:58 pm

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 17):
just about everything else between say a $400 Glock 23 and a $4000 Nighthawk 1911

and on that I agree. I don't know that I'm capable of truly getting my money's worth out of any handgun that costs more than about 2 -3k, and the difference between the HRT pistol and my Kimber isn't too much.

Farcry

Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:37 pm

Hey BF777. I always found a nice bunch of roses worked well with my wife.

Watching the buds 'shoot' into full bloom is just amazing. When they die, you can then 'reload' the vase with a new bunch. Also, you can 'clip' the leaves so the roses last longer. There is also a wonderful 'range' of roses on offer. Just check on the 'pistils' for signs of decline of the bloom. Lastly, if you have more than one vase, it's advisable to do the 'rounds' every so often.

Hopefully, you won't 'holster' any grudges against me for this post.

Farcry
Exactly how long is a drastic measure?

ctbarnes

Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:17 pm

Quoting DL021 (Reply 16):
How would one get accidentally shot in any reliably projectable manner?

You'd be surprised. I was working ER one night and a guy was brought in who got shot in the testicles. Seems he was showing his gun to a friend and it went off as it was inspecting it.

Far better to emulate Mae West who once said, "Is that a gun in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

miamiair

Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:40 pm

Quoting BoeingFever777 (Thread starter):

My wife carries a Springfield XD9 Sub-compact. They are great guns. I got one as well. Have her try one out, you will be pleasantly surprised. Get some night sights for it.

I was recently looking to buy a new pistol and I looked at S&W's M&P 9. It didn't sell me. ( I bought a Sig 226, yes the sky is falling).

The Glocks are great guns once you get used to them. I have several (17, 19, 20, 21, 22, 29 & 34). 9mm is the minimum caliber I would use for self-defense. The great thing about 9mm is that the ammo to practice with is still afordable. .357 ammo is not cheap. You need to shoot, shoot some more, and then some more on top of that. You want her to get used to the pistol. Pracrice makes perfect.

I can't comment on the Sig P245.

Once she is comfortable with the gun both of you should attend a defensive pistol course( If you're adventerous take a tactical pistol course, they'll be calling you guys Mr. & Mrs. Smith). Taking one of these courses is priceless. You will shoot in different situations, under stress, weak hand, how to use cover/concealment, etc. And last but not least, the pistol is nothing but a tool, the brain is the weapon. Program it to run.

My .02
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

VonRichtofen

Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:46 pm

Desert Eagle.

MDorBust

Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:52 pm

Oh gods no. Don't get her into shooting, guns are mean and evil things that can only bring ruin and destruction upon the persons that choose to carry them.

The very last thing you want to do is get her a gun. Absolutely do not take her to a gun store that has an associated range and let her try out guns herself. Do not under any circumstances let her find one that is comfortable to hold in her hands and easy to operate for her. And absolutely do not let her shoot it so that she can tell if she is comfortable with the recoil of that firearm.

These things will just suck here in to wanting to own the gun.. then she will want to learn how to use the gun, and might even become proficient in shooting the gun.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

Doona

Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:53 pm

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 14):

Who says it has to be accidental?  duck 

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

Analog

Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:53 pm

Quoting DL021 (Reply 13):
I would agree except that reality intervenes. Women don't always wear clothing that accomodates holsters, and in such cases carrying the firearm in a purse is a valid and safe enough option provided the proper type purse is being used and it is securely carried, just as you would recommend a woman carry her purse in a city where mugging is possible

Proper purse being the important point... If the gun is visible when the purse is opened, you've got a potentially serious problem.

Woman goes to commercial institution, opens up purse to remove wallet, checkbook, etc. Gun is visible (in violation of concealed carry rules). Cashier/teller/etc. sees gun, feels threatened, calls cops.

miamiair

Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:25 pm

Quoting Analog (Reply 25):
Gun is visible (in violation of concealed carry rules). Cashier/teller/etc. sees gun, feels threatened, calls cops.

Using FL law as a basis, no it is not a violation unless she takes it out of the purse and displays it. TX law may be different.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

Analog

Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:48 pm

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 26):
Using FL law as a basis, no it is not a violation unless she takes it out of the purse and displays it. TX law may be different.

Perhaps that's true, but I wouldn't want to test whether a clerk would call the cops to report a woman carrying a gun. I'd want to be in full control of when and where my weapon is displayed to other people. Accidentally showing people my gun is not something that strikes me as wise.

CaptOveur

Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:05 pm

Quoting Ctbarnes (Reply 20):
I was working ER one night and a guy was brought in who got shot in the testicles. Seems he was showing his gun to a friend and it went off as it was inspecting it.

That's not an "accidental"discharge.. That's a negligent discharge.