metroliner
Topic Author

Rant: Noisy Neighbour!

Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:31 pm

How much shitty techno can one idiotic stoner 17-year-old listen to in a single Sunday?

THIRTEEN HOURS' WORTH!

SOLID since 7am until now!! I am sick to death of living in a rubbish, rat-infested stinkhole in Islington where the Council couldn't give a rat's arse if the Chechen War was being conducted in one of the flats - AND paying £100 a week for the privilege!

How on earth can I write a dissertation when my keyboard is literally vibrating across the table?

What legal recourses are there apart from going through the Council's stupidly involved and pointless process of filling out a "noise diary", waiting for a "Listening Officer" to come over and check it out for themselves before dragging the whole matter through Court? For heaven's sake, I'm only here for another three months - I just want to be able to write and study in peace!

Arrgh!

Toni
Set the controls for the heart of the Sun

Newark777

Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:34 pm

Have you tried talking to him?
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

JGPH1A

Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:36 pm

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 1):

Or setting fire to his apartment. Just a thought.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Newark777

Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:37 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 2):
Or setting fire to his apartment. Just a thought.

There's lots of other cruel, awesome things to do that won't land you in prison for arson.
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

JGPH1A

Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:43 pm

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 3):
There's lots of other cruel, awesome things to do that won't land you in prison for arson.

Yes but mine works quickest  Smile
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

MCOflyer

Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:51 pm

Well, call the police and file a complaint.

Kinghunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

ConcordeBoy

Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:22 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 5):

...anyone who's ever lived in a primarily Black neighborhood is laughing their ass off at this one  Wink
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

jamesbuk

Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:25 pm

Any way to get to the apartment block fuse cupboard? shutting off the electric to his apartment should do it...  Wink

Rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

MCOflyer

Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:20 pm

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 6):

...anyone who's ever lived in a primarily Black neighborhood is laughing their ass off at this one

I understand but something should be done.

Kinghunter

metroliner
Topic Author

Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:32 am

He spends most of his time smoking pot, he'd probably stab me!

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 3):

Go!  Smile

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 5):

This would be considered wasting police time - there are "official channels"! What a load of bollocks.

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 6):
...anyone who's ever lived in a primarily Black neighborhood is laughing their ass off at this one

It isn't a Black neighbourhood - it's a Wigga neighbourhood. This kid spends his time wishing he were Black and had a legitimate claim to the (faux) hip-hop etc. he plays.

He's shut up now. Best grab some shut-eye before tomorrow morning... I have a lovely 6am start...!

Cheers  Smile

Toni

JAGflyer

Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:40 am

Quoting Metroliner (Reply 9):

lol, no stoner will stab you. They're too damn lazy for that (trust me). what is this kid doing listening to techno? that is NOT music to listen to while stoned. Suggest some Floyd, Zeppelin or King Crimson Big grin
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

MCOflyer

Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:47 am

It isn't a Black neighbourhood - it's a Wigga neighbourhood. This kid spends his time wishing he were Black and had a legitimate claim to the (faux) hip-hop etc. he plays.

What is a wigga neighborhood?

Kinghunter

ConcordeBoy

Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:47 am

It isn't a Black neighbourhood

...no one said it was. I'm just suggesting, from both personal experience and that of those around me-- that among the few things cops could care less about, is repeated calls for noise disturbance.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

JAGflyer

Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:52 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 11):

Wigger is a term for a white guy who tries to act stereotypically black.
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

767Lover

Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:54 am

Quoting Metroliner (Thread starter):
waiting for a "Listening Officer" to come over and check it out for themselves

You guys have "listening officers?"

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

NeilYYZ

Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:54 am

That would be white boys acting like they were a derogatory name for black people.

If you ever see a white boy walking around the suburbs dressed like 50 Cent, that's your wigga.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

LHboyatDTW

Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:44 am

Ever tried throwing in a stink bomb to flush him out then grab his computer and make a ransom letter concerning its location?  devil 
The air in the clouds is very pure and fine, bracing and delicious because it's the same the angels breathe.

MCOflyer

Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:55 am

Quoting LHboyatDTW (Reply 16):
Ever tried throwing in a stink bomb to flush him out then grab his computer and make a ransom letter concerning its location

Good one. Knowing myself, I probably would have done that.

Kinghunter

runway23

Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:56 am

Or call the cops and tell them you presume there is a drug smugling ring and some fishy stuff going on there.

If he's really a permanent stoner he's probably got a lot of dope around the place (perhaps enough to get him locked up a few days).

virgin744

Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:13 am

Toni,
I lived in the exact same environment for 3 years, I called the Southwark Council noise team almost on a weekly if not few day basis. Unfortunately, the law is always on the side of the criminal in England, hence the reason I moved out of the flat.

Your best bet will be to study in the university library or at someone else's house because I guarantee you that theres no way you'll get peace for the next 3 months. If you follow council guidelines & procedures then you'll still be taking notes in your diary next year cos it takes years to actually prosecute or get them served with an ASBO!!!

Trust me, you wont win, its better if you moved out or studied soemwhere else.

Good luck in any case!
virgin744

PlymSpotter

Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:24 am

Is this guy part of your university - does he study there or elsewhere and is the flat itself owned by the university? If so, then you can get them to act as there will no doubt be a clause in your tenancy which states that excessive noise is not permitted - if he doesn't comply then the University can take action. We had this at my old University accommodation before I moved out into a house with friends, very effective it was too when the person was told to turn it down or they would be chucked off their course.

Failing that, the odd 'accidental' power cut wouldn't go amiss; I presume that to make a substantial amount of noise he will have a fairly powerful set of speakers. Perhaps you can keep tripping the switch and suggest that as he turns it up the speakers are sucking too much power and that it is this which trips the power off due to an overload - eventually his own desire to listen to his music without interruption from the cuts will cause him to turn it down, and hence once you deem it to be at an appropriate level you can stop flipping the switch.

Dan  Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

bill142

Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:27 am

Pump some mustard gas in there.

CaptOveur

Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:45 am

The police don't give a fuck so don't bother calling them.

If it is an apartment try talking to the management.

If it is a house... Ehhh.. move I guess.

No, there isn't much you can do assuming you already tried the diplomatic channel of talking to the dipshit.

I have some obnoxious neighbors. I have resigned myself to the fact I will just have to outlive them.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

MD11Engineer

Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:18 am

Butyric acid, the solution for all neighbourhood problems: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butyric_acid

devil 

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

jush

Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:07 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 23):
Butyric acid, the solution for all neighbourhood problems: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butyric_acid

devil

Jan

YUCK!!! Buttersäure is the worst. Our teacher had a mishap once and the vomiting was ongoing  Wink

Regds
jush
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

Toast

Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:34 am

Quoting Metroliner (Thread starter):
F$"&ing Noisy Neighbour!

I used to have a problem with a neighbor's noisy f$"&ing. Granted, hearing screams and the sound of humping through a paper-thin wall when you're trying to meet your dissertation deadline is not quite as annoying as techno at full volume, but still not what you want to hear when you're in all the wrong mood. Since asking a grown man to tone down his sexual activities out of respect for my blue balls and workload was out of the question, I swapped apartments with a friend for a few weeks. Turned out my neighbor moved away during that time and was replaced by a frigid woman whose loudest noise was brushing her teeth.  Smile

As for your obnoxious neigbor... If you have a couple of mean-looking friends with scars and tattoos, sending them over to explain his noise is annoying their boss could be fun and effective.  Smile
Shit Piss Fuck Cunt Cocksucker Motherfucker Tits

CaptOveur

RE: Rant: Noisy Neighbour!

Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:42 am

Quoting Toast (Reply 25):
As for your obnoxious neigbor... If you have a couple of mean-looking friends with scars and tattoos, sending them over to explain his noise is annoying their boss could be fun and effective.

On that same thread if you have friends who are in law enforcement having them stop by your place in their cars, or in uniform could work wonders.

I discovered this by accident when my neighbors were taking apart a car in their driveway and had their music cranked. I was pushing my marked police bicycle into the house. Their eyes got big and the stereo went off. They have since moved the mess to their back yard and music is no longer an issue... Their screaming at each other still continues though.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

iairallie

Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:52 am

The peacemakers approach- Buy/loan him some wireless headphones to use and explain you are trying to study or just talk to the guy.

The avoidance approach- go study in the library, internet cafe or a quiet coffee shop.

The counterproductive revenge approach- Do something really loud at a time of day when you know he is sleeping and/or narc him out for the drug use. The cops might respond more quickly to that complaint.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

BCAL

Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:44 am

The only way to deal with noisy neighbours is to give them a taste of their own medicine.

Find out when the idiotic stoner 17-year-old normally sleeps and which morning he has a lie in. When you found the most unsocial hour when he is having his beauty sleep, wire up your speakers and woofer where they will cause maximum noise for the neighbour and then play something like Brotherhood of Man, STEPS or S Club 7 at full volume. Chances are your neighbour will complain within 13 minutes and when he does just simply point out that this is what you tolerate for 13 hours.

Forget the council or complaining through the official channels. It will be donkey years before the council/regulators will do anything and then the idiotic stoner will complain about his human rights to enjoy rap music.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

pelican

Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:36 am

Quoting BCAL (Reply 28):
The only way to deal with noisy neighbours is to give them a taste of their own medicine.

Find out when the idiotic stoner 17-year-old normally sleeps and which morning he has a lie in. When you found the most unsocial hour when he is having his beauty sleep, wire up your speakers and woofer where they will cause maximum noise for the neighbour and then play something like Brotherhood of Man, STEPS or S Club 7 at full volume.

I can recommend some "work" with a drill. It's one of the most annoying noises. Additionally it's a good way to relief stress...

pelican

WrenchBender

Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:45 pm

Quoting BCAL (Reply 28):
Brotherhood of Man, STEPS or S Club 7 at full volume. Chances are your neighbour will complain within 13 minutes and when he does just simply point out that this is what you tolerate for 13 hours.

Might I suggest some Wagnerian Operas, you know the ones with the viking chick shrieking her heart out.....

WrenchBender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

metroliner
Topic Author

Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:58 pm

Wow! What an awesome stack of replies  Smile

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 10):
Floyd, Zeppelin or King Crimson

I wish!

NeilYYZ - awesome definition there! Big grin

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 15):
You guys have "listening officers?"

Allegedly. Very Stasi-sounding title.

Quoting Virgin744 (Reply 19):
Trust me, you wont win, its better if you moved out or studied soemwhere else

Yeah... I tried the British Library the other day; my bike saddle got nicked!

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 20):
Is this guy part of your university - does he study there or elsewhere and is the flat itself owned by the university?

Sadly no, London unis don't often give halls accommodation to anything other than first years. Not even for foreign students as standard at UCL!

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 21):
Pump some mustard gas in there.

I'm fresh out...

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 23):
Butyric acid, the solution for all neighbourhood problems:

It's on back order...

Quoting Toast (Reply 25):
Turned out my neighbor moved away during that time and was replaced by a frigid woman whose loudest noise was brushing her teeth.

Great story Big grin

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 26):
if you have friends who are in law enforcement

I have no friends any more thanks to this dissertation...

Quoting WrenchBender (Reply 30):
Wagnerian Operas, you know the ones with the viking chick shrieking her heart out.....

Yeah... not many of those in my CDs, but Great Gig in the Sky on repeat will do...

Quoting Pelican (Reply 29):
I can recommend some "work" with a drill. It's one of the most annoying noises. Additionally it's a good way to relief stress...

I wish! I'm renting! I do however feel no remorse about playing scales (badly) on a bass for hours at a time now.

Anyhow, thanks so much for all your replies! Made me feel a sight better. I went berserk and started jumping up and down on my heels and he seemed to get the point... no loud music since then. Maybe his mummy told him off. Or better yet, chucked him out. Or clubbed him to death. Once can hope.  Wink

Cheers,

Toni

2H4

Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:07 pm

Back in college, my neighbor got into the habit of partying very late on weeknights.

He kept me up late one night before a big exam, so I decided I'd had enough. The following morning, I turned my speakers around and faced them up against his wall.

I then grabbed an old xmas cd, queued up "Dogs Barking Jingle-Bells", and put that track on repeat.

When I returned 3 or 4 hours later, he was very angry, but had definitely learned his lesson.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

bristolflyer

Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:51 pm

I've got a suggestion - why not whine about it on a.net, I'm sure that'll solve it.

**************** This just in: oh, you already did that. *********************

Man up and speak to him if it's bothering you. The authorities will laugh at you if you complain but admit that you haven't said anything to him.
Fortune favours the brave

DCrawley

Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:46 pm

Just man up and go ask him to turn it down. Be polite, but firm.

When I was living in Arizona and going to flight school, my roommate and I lived in some pretty nice apartments. 2 bed/2 bath, 1 floor. However, the building was 2 stories and we somehow got stuck with a pack of meth-heads above us. They had 7 people living there and listened to buttrock all throughout the night. I was getting pretty sick of it since, in the summer, I had to fly at 4am (plane's performance charts were limited to 40C or 104F and the temperature would easily reach that by noon). So one Wednesday morning, at 2am, I was awakened by loud, thumping subs and buttrock for the third time in as many days. I got dressed, went and knocked on their door, and informed them of my situation. They were all strung the f*ck out and pretended to listen, agreeing to only bump their music that late on the weekends. Things were alright for the rest of the week. Then next Monday rolled around.

At 3am, I once again am awakened to buttrock and now they were rearranging their livingroom. Dragging furniture and shit everywhere, I couldn't take it. Got dressed, stuffed my .45 in my pants (because meth-heads are crazy and I was going to be extremely rude), went up to their door, and kicked it HARD a couple of times. Someone finally answered and I very politely told them to "turn that f*ucking shit down, stop moving the f*ucking furniture, and shut the f*ck up." They were not very receptive to me and gave me a piece of what was left of their retarded, fried minds. I warned them that any more of this sh*t and I was going to make sure they were evicted. I left to the sounds of them saying they were sorry and please don't do that, we have no where else to go. The very next night, same shit.. but this time they pissed off my roommate too.

Well, we called the police explaining the situation. They said that a unit was just a few blocks away and would be coming right over. Then we strapped up, went upstairs to their door, and kicked on their door in hopes of getting them to open it (to give the officers the chance of catching some drug use in plain sight lol). Sure enough, we stood in their doorway watching their friends stunned reaction that someone had opened the door as they had just put down their meth pipe on the table. We waited there for another minute arguing with them until the cops showed up. They came up the stair and saw the meth pipe in the hand of one of the meth-heads leaving the room and went in and cuffed everyone. A couple more units came and they searched the place, finding a bunch of small baggies of meth. With everyone gone for at least 24 hours, my roommate and I decided it was time we break our lease and move on. The next day, we found a house and left that sh*thole forever.

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 27):
narc him out for the drug use.

Had my neighbors just been smoking pot, I would have had no problem with their drug use and would not have called the police. However, meth is one of the most destructive drugs on the planet and is a danger to us all. Most of the stoners I have lived next to are very good people and have no problem turning down their music or helping you fix your computer. All you have to do is be polite about it.
"Weather at our destination is 50 degrees with some broken clouds, but they'll try to have them fixed before we arrive."

HAWK21M

Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:05 pm

Talk to the person.Invite your neighbour to witness the Vibration  Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

metroliner
Topic Author

Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:42 am

Quoting BristolFlyer (Reply 33):
Man up and speak to him if it's bothering you. The authorities will laugh at you if you complain but admit that you haven't said anything to him.

Quoting DCrawley (Reply 34):
Just man up and go ask him to turn it down. Be polite, but firm.

I don't believe I need to "man up" to do that... I don't feel the noise is a challenge to my concepts of masculinity as such and feel I can separate the two!  Wink

I don't want to get involved with this person. As others have said, I will either grin and bear it for three months and stay on the safe side, or I will spend my time working in the library. If this was a village, or even my home town, I could do that - but in Central London? You guys come and do it - I want to live to graduate. Politeness does do wonders - people who play music at 2am with a Bangladeshi family of 8 above them (yes, I am one above and adjacent and know them fairly well) don't understand it.

Additionally, my 'whining' on this forum produced a generally warm response I wasn't expecting - not saying I don't take these responses as warm! - but still, I was glad anyway.

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 35):

See above, my friend: it's not possible, unless I want to risk getting stabbed or provoking the little shite any more.

Cheers,

Toni  Smile