Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

gosimeon
Topic Author

Gay Teen To Be Sent Back To Iran, Hanged.

Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:08 am

Fair Use

"A gay teenager who sought sanctuary in Britain when his boyfriend was executed by the Iranian authorities now faces the same fate after losing his legal battle for asylum.

Mehdi Kazemi, 19, came to London to study English in 2004 but later discovered that his boyfriend had been arrested by the Iranian police, charged with sodomy and hanged.

In a telephone conversation with his father in Tehran, Mr Kazemi was told that before the execution in April 2006, his boyfriend had been questioned about sexual relations he had with other men and under interrogation had named Mr Kazemi as his partner.

Fearing for his own life if he returned to Iran, Mr Kazemi claimed asylum in Britain. But late in 2007 his case was refused. Terror-stricken at the prospect of deportation the young Iranian made a desperate attempt to evade deportation and fled Britain for Holland where he is now being detained amid a growing outcry from campaigners.

He appeared before a Dutch court yesterday to plead with the authorities not to return him to Britain where he is almost certain to be sent back to Iran.

In a letter to the British Government, Mr Kazemi has told the Home Secretary, Jacqui Smith: "I wish to inform the Secretary of State that I did not come to the UK to claim asylum. I came here to study and return to my country. But in the past few months my situation back home has changed. The Iranian authorities have found out that I am a homosexual and they are looking for me." He added: "I cannot stop my attraction towards men. This is something that I will have to live with the rest of my life. I was born with the feeling and cannot change this fact but it is unfortunate that I cannot express my feeling in Iran. If I return to Iran I will be arrested and executed like my former boyfriend."
More @ http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...life-or-death-decision-792058.html

What a sad story. I really hope this guy can be saved from being murdered by the Iranian authorities. It's horrifying to think their are still nations (and people) that endorse this sort of brutality.

Opinions anybody?

kmh1956

RE: Gay Teen To Be Sent Back To Iran, Hanged.

Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:12 am

Quoting Gosimeon (Thread starter):
Gay Teen To Be Sent Back To Iran, Hanged.

No wonder Mahmoud Ahmadinejad claimed there were no gays in Iran...they hang them all. Sick.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

MCOflyer

Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:15 am

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 1):

No wonder Mahmoud Ahmadinejad claimed there were no gays in Iran...they hang them all. Sick.

I could not agree more KMH. when is the rest of the world going to accept gays besides us and other nations? God bless his soul.

Kinghunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

CanadianNorth

Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:18 am

It's horrifying to think their are still nations (and people) that endorse this sort of brutality.

checkmark 
I'm all for different cultures and ways of doing things, but one has to draw the line somewhere. Really is upsetting that there are so many people out there who think these type of actions are ok.

Hopefully this kid can end up staying in a more accepting place.

CanadianNorth
HS-748, like a 747 but better!

KFLLCFII

Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:19 am

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 1):
No wonder Mahmoud Ahmadinejad claimed there were no gays in Iran...they hang them all.

Don't worry, there will be people on this board defending it in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

gosimeon
Topic Author

Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:22 am

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 4):
Don't worry, there will be people on this board defending it in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...

I hope you aren't being serious! This stuff actually turns my stomach; I wonder how many countries do this?

luv2fly

Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:23 am

Sad to say you are probably right.

When you read things like this it is hard to believe it is 2008.
You can cut the irony with a knife

tsaord

Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:26 am

Will these countries actually send him back knowing he could be killed for being gay? The EU knows very well that this stuff happens. Can free countries just live with the fact that they sent someone back to their deaths?
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

halls120

Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:35 am

Quoting Gosimeon (Reply 5):

I hope you aren't being serious!

He was being very serious. As UH60FtRucker has already posted, we do indeed have at least one Anetter who is a very prolific defender of Iran's right to execute people because they are gay.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

Farnborough24

Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:50 am

Bought the Independant the other day and read it-it was the front page story. I like to think I can accept other cultures, look at things from other people's point of view and recognise that what I might believe may well not always be what everyone would see as the 'best' option. But in times like this, I find it really challenging to see any merit/justification in/of some of the Sharia laws (apologies if my current understanding about this is incorrect-it may well be I am misinterpreting various things I have read and I am in fact blaming Sharia when this is not the case) in various Muslim countries. I read about gay men being hanged like barbarians in Iran, women who have been brutally gang raped being given 100 lashes for being in another man's car in Saudi Arabia, and then read about politicians here claiming we should introduce Sharia courts in Britain, and a chill goes down my spine.
My Saab 9000-the chav eater!

a380us

Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:54 am

I dont think this is right and the Britain or any country shouldnt respect Irans views on this.
www.JandACosmetics.com

gosimeon
Topic Author

Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:57 am

Quoting Farnborough24 (Reply 10):
(apologies if my current understanding about this is incorrect-it may well be I am misinterpreting various things I have read and I am in fact blaming Sharia when this is not the case

arrow  Since the 1979 Iranian revolution, the legal code has been based on a conservative interpretation of Islamic Shari'a law.

Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Iran#Male_homosexuality for the law's they have on homosexuality. Lot's of whipping. Ugh.

Falcon84

Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:06 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 8):
Well a few months ago, when N1220A was presented with a similar case, he said it was sad that Iran kills gays.... but that we should respect Iran's right to practice it's own laws.

See for N1120A, apparently since it's illegal for Iranians to be gay, and when Iran kill gays,... all they are doing is practicing their sovereign right to enforce their laws.... so we can disagree with it, but we also need respect it!!

Bunch of crap.

It's a barbaric policy, that is more appropriate for the 1500s, not the 2000s.

Gotta agree with that 100%. It's one thing to respect one's culture and soverignty, but when you head into the realm of barbarism, like this, it's time to tell Iran to stick it up their asses, that we won't be party to them killing people for being themselves. If they don't like it, that's their problem. We don't have to respect that in any way, shape or form.
Work Right, Fly Hard

luv2fly

Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:06 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 9):
Quoting Gosimeon (Reply 5):

I hope you aren't being serious!

He was being very serious. As UH60FtRucker has already posted, we do indeed have at least one Anetter who is a very prolific defender of Iran's right to execute people because they are gay.

Yet he will also try and say he is all for "gay rights"

WildcatYXU

Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:08 am

Well, Canada is not better in that matter...I know about a young male from Central America who applied for asylum, because his own family was about to kill him because of his sexual orientation. Hi application was refused. What to say, shame on us.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 753, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

Jetsgo

Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:20 am

I bet N1120A will remain rather quiet in this thread, having already been called out.  Smile

[Edited 2008-03-09 18:21:43]
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

andessmf

Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:39 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 13):

Can't say more than 'Ditto'.

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 16):
I bet N1120A will remain rather quiet in this thread

I was personally (as were others) looking for his response.

767Lover

Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:52 am

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 17):

Well, seeing as he said that soldiers who waterboard suspected terrorists were "as despicable as those who blow themselves up, if not moreso," I would think he'd be pretty upset about this too.

airportugal310

Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:59 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 14):

Does everybody in the world have to be for gay rights?

There are plenty of people in America who aren't I am sure
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

Mir

Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:04 am

I don't see how Britain can send this guy back. The US asylum laws generally say that if you can prove that being returned to your country will put you in danger from the government or from a group that the government cannot or will not control. I would think that the UK would have something similar.

I would also think that having your boyfriend hanged for sodomy would qualify as putting you in danger if you went back.

Iran does have some crazy laws. Unfortunately, it's their perrogative to have them, and there isn't a lot we can do about it short of trying to overthrow their government. But it surprises me that in this case the UK is choosing not to do the one thing it can do to protect people from barbaric laws like that.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Platypus

Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:10 am

See for N1120A, apparently since it's illegal for Iranians to be gay, and when Iran kill gays,... all they are doing is practicing their sovereign right to enforce their laws.... so we can disagree with it, but we also need respect it!!

Intriguing,
Using this guy's N1120A logic, if a country had an archaic [mid evil] law in place, to execute all that were ignorant. I guess he [N1120A] would not have a problem taking a swing on Gallows Pole! Gotta respect their laws!  sarcastic 

It's horrifying to think their are still nations (and people) that endorse this sort of brutality.

Indeed it is, horrifying! And sad, he will not be able to see his family. I do hope this young man will be able to find safe sanctuary , then continue with his studies! Gotta love Iran's values! What's unfortunate is the fact this will get very little press. Yet, the US will continue to get lambasted for their efforts confronting nations like Iran.
Don't Block the Shot

luv2fly

Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:17 am

Quoting AirPortugal310 (Reply 19):

Does everybody in the world have to be for gay rights?

There are plenty of people in America who aren't I am sure

I guess Irony is lost on you!

Leezyjet

Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:19 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 20):
But it surprises me that in this case the UK is choosing not to do the one thing it can do to protect people from barbaric laws like that

Because many men from Muslim countries know if they say they are gay when they claim Asylum then there is a better chance they will get to stay. It has even been reported in the press about information on the internet telling these people to say this in order to be able to stay especially when they come from a country where being gay is outlawed.

It could be a case of crying wolf - it has happened before where "gay" asylum seekers have been caught out. For all we know, this guy could have heard about the gay bloke being executed in Iran and is using it as his way to try and stay here. There are some very determined Asylum seekers that will make up the most elaborate lies in order to try and stay, not saying that is the case here but it could easily be.

Before I get flamed, I'm not defending what Iran does, just giving a possible explination as to why his case has been refused by the UK.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

FlyDeltaJets87

Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:42 am

Quoting Leezyjet (Reply 23):
Because many men from Muslim countries know if they say they are gay when they claim Asylum then there is a better chance they will get to stay. It has even been reported in the press about information on the internet telling these people to say this in order to be able to stay especially when they come from a country where being gay is outlawed.

It could be a case of crying wolf - it has happened before where "gay" asylum seekers have been caught out. For all we know, this guy could have heard about the gay bloke being executed in Iran and is using it as his way to try and stay here. There are some very determined Asylum seekers that will make up the most elaborate lies in order to try and stay, not saying that is the case here but it could easily be.

Before I get flamed, I'm not defending what Iran does, just giving a possible explination as to why his case has been refused by the UK.

But from the article, his boyfriend was hanged, and while being questioned, he mentioned Mehdi Kazemi, the guy who is now seeking asylum in the UK as his boyfriend. I doubt there's a conspiracy here. You might be able to call it on this guy if he came to the UK asking for asylum right away, but it's Iran who is coming after this guy. From the surface, his story sounds legit.

I hope that if the UK does indeed deny him asylum, another country will be willing to stand up for what's right and grant him asylum.

Well a few months ago, when N1220A was presented with a similar case, he said it was sad that Iran kills gays.... but that we should respect Iran's right to practice it's own laws.

Bunch of crap.

Is it sad that I'm not the least bit shocked though by this?

I bet N1120A will remain rather quiet in this thread, having already been called out

Or if he does chime in, he'll avoid any direct points. Once you challenge him and call him out, he has a way of always seeming to side-step the main point in his response, or just ignore the thread from then on and let it fall to the bottom of the discussion board and eventually roll over to the next page.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

flynavy

Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:57 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 2):
when is the rest of the world going to accept gays besides us and other nations?

Since when are gays accepted in the United States? News to me.
Change is: one airline, six continents!

panam330

Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:00 am

when is the rest of the world going to accept gays besides us and other nations?

Um, what? Last I knew, some folks were trying to throw together a Constitutional ban on gay marriage. Does that seem accepting to you?

bok269

Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:06 am

Bunch of crap.

It's a barbaric policy, that is more appropriate for the 1500s, not the 2000s.

Gotta agree with that 100%. It's one thing to respect one's culture and soverignty, but when you head into the realm of barbarism, like this, it's time to tell Iran to stick it up their asses, that we won't be party to them killing people for being themselves. If they don't like it, that's their problem. We don't have to respect that in any way, shape or form.

There's a fine line between deserving respect for your sovereignty and violating basic human rights. When that line is crossed, sovereignty should no longer be respected.

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 25):

Since when are gays accepted in the United States? News to me.

While we still have a long way to go, at least we don't execute for sodomy (although it wouldn't surprise me if it were still on the books as illegal in some states).
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

Francoflier

Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:18 am

Bunch of crap.

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 9):
we do indeed have at least one Anetter who is a very prolific defender of Iran's right to execute people because they are gay.

Gotta agree with that 100%.

I bet N1120A will remain rather quiet in this thread, having already been called out.

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 17):

Quoting Platypus (Reply 21):
Using this guy's N1120A logic, if a country had an archaic [mid evil] law in place, to execute all that were ignorant. I guess he [N1120A] would not have a problem taking a swing on Gallows Pole! Gotta respect their laws!

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 24):
Is it sad that I'm not the least bit shocked though by this?

Yeah, you guys are right, he should be hanged!  Yeah sure

That's what I like about many people on here: They fight to the death for their freedom of speech, but then they'll gang up on some guy who they 'believe' would say something they don't like and declare him the advocate of untolerant extremists, and probably wouldn't mind to see him punished without even understanding his position.

Worst of all: Now that I've said this, I might just as well be Ahmadinejad's beer buddy to some.

Green Day had it right: 'Kill all the fags that don't agree'...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

halls120

Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:24 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 20):
Unfortunately, it's their perrogative to have them, and there isn't a lot we can do about it short of trying to overthrow their government.

Quoting Francoflier (Reply 28):
That's what I like about many people on here: They fight to the death for their freedom of speech, but then they'll gang up on some guy who they 'believe' would say something they don't like and declare him the advocate of untolerant extremists, and probably wouldn't mind to see him punished without even understanding his position.

If it wasn't so late, I'd be happy to search for some of N1120A's relevant posts on this issue to demonstrate that we weren't "ganging up" on him.

If he hasn't joined the discussion by tomorrow evening, I'll recover his posts and you'll see that we haven't been unfair.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

LH423

Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:31 am

Because many men from Muslim countries know if they say they are gay when they claim Asylum then there is a better chance they will get to stay.

This was my first thought as I can't believe the UK would legitimately send someone back to almost certain death. Though, I hope they thoroughly investigated his claim before making the decision.

Frankly, in my mind there are only five nations in this world that are fully accepting of gays: Belgium, Canada, the Netherlands, South Africa, and Spain (honourable mention to the state of Massachusetts).

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

UH60FtRucker

Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:36 am

Yeah, you guys are right, he should be hanged

Well that's interesting... considering no one you quoted even suggest N1120A ought o be "hanged"!

All we did was express how much we disagreed with his ignorant comments.

Well this isn't the first time this subject has been discussed. Please see the following quotes:

Quote:
"Further, if one believes in the rule of law, they have to then respect the laws of another country, even ones that are fucked up."

Quote:
It is not up to society to determine morality. It is up to the individual

Quote:
That is the law. You don't have to like the law, but at least they adhere to a rule of law.

Quote:
Again, that is the law. We have the death penalty for crimes here in the US too. I find both things disgusting, but both are the law as stands now. While as Americans, it is on us to change laws/lawmakers we don't agree with, it is not our right to tell people in Iran how to run their country.

...All quotes from him.

He argued that it's Iranian law, and while we might not agree with it, we don't have the right to tell them to run their country, nor the right to condemn their internal laws. It was -- as I said -- total crap.

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

N1120A

Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:39 am

I find it interesting how some anti-gay posters, or people who constantly defend and even work for organizations that are actively anti-gay are taking pot shots at me for saying the same exact thing they do when people take shots at the US for certain laws and practices here.

Anyway, if there was ever a case for asylum, this is it, and I am both shocked and dismayed that Her Majesty's government didn't grant it on the spot. Hopefully he will be allowed to stay somewhere else if the UK doesn't reverse their decision.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Mir

Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:43 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 24):
But from the article, his boyfriend was hanged, and while being questioned, he mentioned Mehdi Kazemi, the guy who is now seeking asylum in the UK as his boyfriend. I doubt there's a conspiracy here.

To be fair, I don't know if there is any proof that that happened - just the telephone call with his father. If we assume that some Muslims who claim to be gay to gain asylum are lying, we have to assume that he also could have made the conversation up.

That said, the story does sound legit, and even if it's not 100% solid, I'd much rather keep a liar in the country then send an honest man to his death at the hands of the Iranian regime.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

UH60FtRucker

Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:46 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 32):
Anyway, if there was ever a case for asylum, this is it, and I am both shocked and dismayed that Her Majesty's government didn't grant it on the spot. Hopefully he will be allowed to stay somewhere else if the UK doesn't reverse their decision.

Not to mention the fact that international community, victim rights organizations, gay rights organizations, and all civilized people, really needs to ban together and publicly condemn Iran's murdering of human beings, simply because they are gay.

Don't you agree?

-UH60

N1120A

Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:48 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 34):

Don't you agree?

Of course I do. I have said that literally countless times.

Of course, I can also call a spade as spade, which you can't. If you really cared as much about gay rights as you pretend, you would immediately ask for your discharge from the US military.

flynavy

Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:56 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 35):
If you really cared as much about gay rights as you pretend, you would immediately ask for your discharge from the US military.

N1120A

Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:02 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 37):
And I can chose not to re-new my service obligation in 2011.

If you were so pro gay-rights, you should have never joined.

But simply quiting? I can't do that.

Why? Even if it is a "Dishonorable" Discharge because you refuse the policies.

Especially considering the historical context, that Iran has publicly killed gay citizens in the past.

So has the U.S.

UH60FtRucker

Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:09 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 38):

Well that's a stupid comment. Can't a person come to realize his past mistakes, and atone for them?

Look back in the archives, years ago, I once thought repealing DADT was a bad idea. Then look back to my comments made about a year ago, when I made a 180° reversal, and publicly apologized for ever supporting a policy like DADT.

But seriously, if you want to talk about DADT, start a new thread. I promise I'll join in.

So has the U.S.

In modern times, the US government has officially sanctioned the execution of a person for simply being gay? You need to provide us evidence of this claim, otherwise, do as Chris suggested: stop posting.

-UH60

flynavy

Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:09 am

Care to expand on that? I personally joined knowing damn well what I was getting myself into. I wanted to serve my country, continue my family's tradition, and gain experience that can be gained no where else in the world. I don't regret it one bit.

So, you're saying that, basically, because I happen to be gay and decided to enlist in the military that I'm not pro-gay rights?

UH60FtRucker

Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:21 am

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 40):
So, you're saying that, basically, because I happen to be gay and decided to enlist in the military that I'm not pro-gay rights?

He's trying to change the subject. His record regarding Iran is very spotty - having publicly excused some of their most disgusting acts (such as the government sanctioning the execution of two gay teenage boys) - and he's trying to make me seem like I don't truly care about how gays are treated in Iran.

In other words, as long as he's trying to keep the focus on how I am wrong, or how the US is wrong... he doesn't have to confront the fact that what Iran is doing is purely barbaric and deserves sharp public criticism. Nor does he have to explain why he thinks we should respect Iran's right to practice their laws - even if we don't agree with them.

-UH60

[Edited 2008-03-09 23:22:12]

mal787

Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:35 am

Two teenage boys being publicly hung for being gay

I seriously hope this does not happen to this guy, hopefully the Dutch or the British goverments will let him stay and live a long and happy life. being gay can be hard enough without the threat of death on your mind as well.

Mal787
BN2 Metro, 402,404, Conquest, king air, 707,727.200, 732,733,734,735,736,738,757,762,763,742,743,744, MD11, DC9,Westwind

N1120A

Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:39 am

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 40):

Care to expand on that? I personally joined knowing damn well what I was getting myself into.

Then you have nothing to say.

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 39):

But seriously, if you want to talk about DADT, start a new thread. I promise I'll join in.

Don't make a post attacking me if you don't want to be called on your hypocrisy.

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 39):

In modern times, the US government has officially sanctioned the execution of a person for simply being gay?

Well, lets see, given that the US government officially sanctions the actions of the Iraqi government, and still has control over the country...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...y-for-being-homosexual-476917.html

http://iraqilgbtuk.blogspot.com/

babybus

Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:40 am

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 15):
his own family was about to kill him because of his sexual orientation

What are the chances of that? What? All his family?

many men from Muslim countries know if they say they are gay when they claim Asylum then there is a better chance they will get to stay.

This quote answers the first one!

Why didn't the kid go to Morocco or some other Arab country where homosexuality isn't frowned upon?
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

N1120A

Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:43 am

Quoting Babybus (Reply 44):

Why didn't the kid go to Morocco or some other Arab country where homosexuality isn't frowned upon?

Perhaps because the kid isn't an Arab and likely speaks far better English than Arabic, not to mention having more in common culturally with westerners than with Arabs? Further, homosexuality is still very illegal in Morocco.

UH60FtRucker

Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:44 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 43):

Don't make a post attacking me if you don't want to be called on your hypocrisy.

So just because I am in the US military, I cannot make the determination that killing gays, for being gay, is wrong?

And please, spare us the bullshit argument about DADT even being on the same level as execution! Discrimination and execution are two totally different levels of wrong.

Well, lets see, given that the US government officially sanctions the actions of the Iraqi government, and still has control over the country...

No no no... you said "so has the US."

So show us a modern example of the US government executing gays, for being homosexual. You told us it has happened, thus you should easily be able to provide us the evidence. So where is it?

[Edited 2008-03-10 00:14:24]

N1120A

Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:54 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 46):

So just because I am in the US military, I cannot make the determination that killing gays, for being gay, is wrong?

You can't say any discriminatory law is wrong, whatever the penalty, because you actively support such policies by being part of them.

Discrimination and execution are two totally different levels of wrong.

There is only one level of wrong.

No no no... you said "the US does."

No I didn't and you should retract that false quote. I said the US HAS, and that is true. Further, the US government controls Iraq, which means the US government DOES sanction these actions.

UH60FtRucker

Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:08 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 47):
You can't say any discriminatory law is wrong, whatever the penalty, because you actively support such policies by being part of them.

bullshit. Being a member of the military does not make you an automatic supporter of discrimination. It's a weak argument, and an impossible sell.

But please, tell me how I can personally change the whole policy, single handily, and I will do it right now.

There is only one level of wrong.

Oh really!?

So then why did you tell us we need to respect Iran's right to enforce their laws!? If what they are doing is wrong - and there is only one level of wrong - then how can you ask us to respect something that is wrong?

No I didn't and you should retract that false quote.

Done. I fixed it to accurately match what you said.

I said the US HAS, and that is true. Further, the US government controls Iraq, which means the US government DOES sanction these actions.

Say what? We don't control internal Iraqi laws, nor enforce them. When we stopped Iraqis at check points and they were drunk (odd... I thought Muslims weren't suppose to drink evil alcohol!!) we didn't arrest them for DUI. It wasn't in our power to do so.

But you said the the US has sanctioned the modern execution of gays. So please, show us where - IN THE UNITED STATES - the government executed a person for simply being gay. And don't give me a case from 1802. Give me something of actual relevance to our present society.

-UH60

flynavy

Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:18 am

Then you have nothing to say.

I have PLENTY to say - specifically about your continuous and unabated verbal flatulence - but, fortunately for you, the terms of use of this site prevent me from doing so.

In short, you are a pinhead.

[Edited 2008-03-10 00:18:59]

flynavy

Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:23 am

So, using your "logic" (and I use that term loosely), because I'm an American, I should be, de-facto, a supporter of the "war" in Iraq? And, if not, should I then move out of the country on principle?

ME AVN FAN

Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:31 am

I simply hope that Britain is NOT to support the Iranian judicial brutality and GIVES the required asylum
-

Quoting Tsaord (Reply 7):
Will these countries actually send him back knowing he could be killed for being gay?

IF they do so, they will have ENDORSED the position of the Iranian judiciary.
-

all they are doing is practicing their sovereign right to enforce their laws.... so we can disagree with it, but we also need respect it!!

whatever, I do NOT feel that we have to "respect" the right of European authorities to send refugees into death
-

a possible explination as to why his case has been refused by the UK.

"possible" is the term, but such decisions should be based on the principle "in case of doubt in favour of the ...person"
-

Quoting Babybus (Reply 44):
Why didn't the kid go to Morocco or some other Arab country

why should he have gone to an Arab country ?  scratchchin   scratchchin  He did not want to learn Arabic, he wanted to learn English.
-